PDA

View Full Version : Crazy thought...or is it?

exstatic
07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
We have a number of youngsters with potential that may be tax casualties if Dice signs for the MLE.

Portland is down to their last 2 FA candidates in Odom and Miller, and they're allegedly very cool to Miller. He's 33 and doesn't shoot well. If they miss out, then what? It's damnably difficult to carry cap room from one year to the next. Most players won't sign for 1 year unless they are breaking into the league.

Mason 3.8M
Bonner 3.24M
Finley 2.5M

for

Fernandez 1.17M

If Portland REALLY decides to wait for next year, this gives them a replacement shooting guard in Mason, and two good character guys that aren't going to cause them any locker room problems and will roll off next year. They can shop in the much more lucrative FA market next summer, instead of settling for this year's scraps. Spurs get almost complete tax relief, and can plug Fernandez into the starting lineup (his big gripe in Portland) and have Manu keep his usual role off the bench as the spark plug for the reserves.

Right now, if they sign McDyess, the Spurs will have 12 players under contract. That does NOT include Blair.

Duncan
RJ
Parker
Manu
Mason
Bonner
Finley
Mahinmi
Hill
Williams
Haislip
McDyess

If something doesn't happen, we could have to farm out everyone else to Europe, or lose them if they don't want to go, to avoid paying double taxed salaries on Austin send downs.

Have at it, and tear this apart.

Shastafarian
07-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but how do those salaries match?

DPG21920
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
They have cap space to absorb the contracts.

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Not going to happen.

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but how do those salaries match?

Portland has cap room that's looking dubious about now. They can absorb the excess.

kbrury
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
its an interesting idea, but I want to hold on to Mason.

Dro210
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
This is assuming they don't land Odom or Miller or Lee... correct?

That's a long shot, but I like the idea

picnroll
07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Did Holt keep compromising pictures of Pritchard with the coyote?

bishopospurs
That wouldn't work money wise. They would need to throw in Joel P to make that happen with Fin/Ginger/Mase. I would love to get Rudolfo though, but it wouldn't go down.

Spurs_9_20_21
its an interesting idea, but I want to hold on to Mason.
yeah me too. he is still clutch.

bishopospurs
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM
We should all refer to Matty Poo as Ginger henceforth

Tully365
Bonner and Finley get crucified here daily, but in a trade they are "good character guys"...

DynastyBuilder
:lol

kbrury
That wouldn't work money wise. They would need to throw in Joel P to make that happen with Fin/Ginger/Mase. I would love to get Rudolfo though, but it wouldn't go down.

Portland is under the cap so it wouldn''t matter.

anakha
In a vacuum, the trade could be workable.

With Pritchard on the other side of the negotiating table? You'd have better luck convincing Lebron to finally declare his 2010 intentions.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Wouldn't that also give the Spurs a sizable trade exception?

bishopospurs
it would when they get the free agent they desire

exstatic
Fernandez at 1.17/1.25/2.2 locked in for the next 3 years >>>>>>>> Mason at 3.78 for one year

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
:lol

Portland has the cap room to absorb the salaries. No other players or teams need be involved.

bishopospurs
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Fernandez at 1.17/1.25/2.2 locked in for the next 3 years >>>>>>>> Mason at 3.78 for one year

Plus Rudolfo's 5 or 6 years younger

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Very creative, and interesting.

However, the unless it's for Camby, the Spurs MUST keep Mason. We'll need clutch, proven shooters, and no one fits that bill more Mason (when not playing the 1).

But for the little amount Fernandez makes, the salary matches up even without Mason (though probably less likely).

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't that also give the Spurs a sizable trade exception?

Damn. Bonus. A trade exception to use next summer.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Spurs would have to spice that up with a pick or rights to someone, even with Portland then free to use the expiring contracts in their own deal before the February deadline.

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Very creative, and interesting.

However, the unless it's for Camby, the Spurs MUST keep Mason. We'll need clutch, proven shooters, and no one fits that bill more Mason (when not playing the 1).

But for the little amount Fernandez makes, the salary matches up even without Mason (though probably less likely).

I think they'd want a decent guard back to come off their bench.

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Spurs would have to spice that up with a pick or rights to someone, even with Portland then free to use the expiring contracts in their own deal before the February deadline.

I'm sure we have a pick or two stashed, and if Holt doesn't have to pay the tax, I'm sure he'd sign off on the full $3M cash throw in.

Agloco
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Bonner and Finley get crucified here daily, but in a trade they are "good character guys"...

Your point? No one's crucifying their character.

Big P
07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Hedo is not going to Portland, thus Fernandez is happy & Portland is not going to help us out.

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Hedo is not going to Portland, thus Fernandez is happy & Portland is not going to help us out.

Why would Fernnadez suddenly be happy now? He wasn't last year. To many swing men, and there still are.

Agloco
07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not too familiar with Fernandez? Does he have range comparable to Mason? My only concern would be that the Spurs will have traded a pure shooter for an athletic guard with no shooting touch. The Spurs need good perimeter shooters. Does Fernandez fit the bill? If he does, then hellz yeah.

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I just thought of something:

Fernandez + Ginobili=

Two Ginobilis on the same team?!?

1 not even entered into his prime,

and 1 at the end of his prime?!?!?!?!

Talk about something to think about.

El Jefe
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
The word on Kevin Pritchard is that he won't make a deal unless he's the obvious winner. Of course we haven't been privy to any trade negotiations coming out of Portland the past few years, but he had the most tradeable asset last season (Raef's expiring contract) and didn't pull the trigger.

I don't see how this deal would make him the obvious winner. It's creative though.

bishopospurs
I am all for getting Rudolfo, and I think he would do great on the Spurs, I just don't see Portland letting him go, especially not to us.

Dro210
I'm not too familiar with Fernandez? Does he have range comparable to Mason? My only concern would be that the Spurs will have traded a pure shooter for an athletic guard with no shooting touch. The Spurs need good perimeter shooters. Does Fernandez fit the bill? If he does, then hellz yeah.

Fernandez is a nice shooter... 40% from 3 last year, 159 made... 42% in the playoffs, although that didn't last long.

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I am all for getting Rudolfo, and I think he would do great on the Spurs, I just don't see Portland letting him go, especially not to us.

I don't see why Pritchard wouldn't trade Fernandez to the Spurs!

After all, it would GUARANTEE that the Blazers would beat the Spurs for the next 5 seasons!:lol

exstatic
07-07-2009, 10:32 PM

three point shooting % of .399 159-398

He's a good shooter and not shy about letting it go. For comparison, here's Ginobili's last full healthy season, 2007-2008:

three point shooting % of .401 156-389

ducks
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
you trade for him
why you then get a younger manu to take manu's place

TeKu
07-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Nice thought, but definitely crazy.

Portland only has that capspace this year. They then have to ink Roy & Aldridge to fat contracts so 1 yr expiring deals don't help them at all as they'll be over the cap next year anyways. That's as I understand it. It's also why Portland were so gutted by Hedo's turnabout. Odom is about their last shot.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM

You could have looked up his stats, and if you did you'd see that he shot 40% from 3 last year. I watched a few Blazers games and he hit them at crucial times, too.

I love the idea, ex, but isn't Prichard notoriously difficult to deal with? Very unlikely scenario, but kudos for the lateral thinking! :)

If Portland lands Odom I'll be happy enough, if we landed Rudy I'd be jumping around like a monkey!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Portland only has that capspace this year. They then have to ink Roy & Aldridge to fat contracts so 1 yr expiring deals don't help them at all as they'll be over the cap next year anyways. That's as I understand it. It's also why Portland were so gutted by Hedo's turnabout. Odom is about their last shot.

Yep, I expect that to go after Lamar. However even with qualifying offers for those two next year they will only have about $34 million in salaries to deal with (obviously you can throw another 10-12 million on there once those two get their new deals, but that still leaves them some cap room).

Mark in Austin
07-08-2009, 12:37 AM

they could take those expiring salaries and trade them for a player sometime next season, a la the Spurs and Richard Jefferson.

but to your point: if they extend Aldridge and Roy to contracts starting at 10 million per year, Pryz picks up his player option, and they pick up Oden, Bayless and Batum's rookie options, they'll only be at 42 million, so they will be under the cap by a significant number.

As far as the original idea goes, I think Pritchard would rather sign D-League scrubs to huge one year contracts than agree to a trade that would help the Spurs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Surely Roy will get the max?

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:49 AM

That's a tough one, actually: Roy is a very good player, but I don't know if he's a max player.

jjktkk
07-08-2009, 03:15 AM
I just thought of something:

Fernandez + Ginobili=

Two Ginobilis on the same team?!?

1 not even entered into his prime,

and 1 at the end of his prime?!?!?!?!

Talk about something to think about.

Thats some excellent math you got there. I like it.:flag:

suitedkings
07-08-2009, 03:24 AM

Roy is a max contract guy, no doubt about it. Barring injury this guy is getting the max.

Chieflion
07-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Roy is a max contract guy, no doubt about it. Barring injury this guy is getting the max.
I heard Roy said he was willing to take less supposedly. I forgot where though.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Thats some excellent math you got there. I like it.:flag:

:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Roy is their franchise guy and a perrenial all-star - the only reason he won't get the max is if he decides to take less to help them sign his teammates.

wildbill2u
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Better hope that the FO reads this forum daily because it sounds almost too creative for them. I can't see them doing TWO three-for-one deals in one off season.

Muser
07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I'd do it, don't know if Portland would.

spursjustice
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
That would be quite nice but I doubt the Blazers bite at that.

Chieflion
07-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Portland will not do this unless they are sure Fernandez is really unhappy or they realise there is no need for them. Spurs will then create a TPE which can be used to absorb players.

CGD
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
To answer the question presented: YES!

Not much in it for Blazers. Just because they CAN absorb the salaries, doesn't mean they'd do us a favor.

Anyway, Blazers won't have that cap space for long. They will (have to) spend a large sum of that this off season in the hopes of staying competitive. Hopefully, they overpay for Lamar!!

Big P
07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Why would Fernnadez suddenly be happy now? He wasn't last year. To many swing men, and there still are.

Because when Portland started courting Hedo, Rudy's camp made it known

that they were not happy. Now that Hedo is going to Toronto, there will be more

opportunity for him to play. They had the same amount of swingmen last year

& he played without complaint.

Spurs_9_20_21
07-08-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah me too. he is still clutch.
actually now that i think of it....i kinda like the idea. btw how old is rudy?and what position does he play?

DynastyBuilder
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm on board with this plan now :tu

Taking it to the Hole
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm on board with this plan now :tu

Too bad it isn't going to happen. The day Portland does us a favor is most certainly the day world comes to an end.:shootme

pad300
07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure that they would give us Fernandez. It might be more realistic with either Martell Webster or Travis Outlaw coming back... Any of the 3 would work for me...

Parker, Hill
Duncan, McDyess, Haislip, Blair, Mahinmi
Manu, Jefferson, Hairston, (Fernandez/Outlaw/Webster)

Sign Rasho Vet Min
Sign Bowen Vet Min
Keep Williams

Assuming Webster, the roster is filled out for $77,128,718; about 2 million less than our current position.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
When he said crazy I idea, I thought it would be to take the McDyess signing and turn it around into some sort of package deal to the Suns for Amare.

Now THAT would be crazy.

And no I'm not saying that that's what the Spurs should do or even if it's likely. Just saying that it's a crazy idea.

This isn't such a crazy idea and it is unlikely.