PDA

View Full Version : If McDyess ends up back in Motown.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 02:44 AM
If for some odd reason McDyess ends up back in Motown. Where do the Spurs go? Do they overpay for a middle of the road big man? I.E Big Baby? I hope not. Or do they split the MLE for a wing that will see hardly any minutes and a big man that will play 10 minutes a game at best? I hope not.

Therefore the Spurs best bet could be to go all out for Marcus Camby.

Bonner/ Mason/ Marcus Williams and a 1st for Camby.

Why would Clippers do it?
- They love DeAndre Jordan and want to give him a significant role next year. Trading Camby would help that.
- Clippers only have Eric Gordon/ Al Thornton/ and Quentin Richardson at the wing position. Mason would give them a player behind Eric Gordon or a possible starter if they think Gordon helps the team more coming off the bench.
- Since Camby is 35 and the Clippers won't be resigning him after this year, a first round pick for the future is great compensation for a player not in the plans for the NEAR future.

Why would the Spurs get rid of Mason, he was our most "clutch" shooter of the regular season?
- With the addition of a healthy Manu Ginobili and prolific scorer in his own right Richard Jefferson, Mason's opportunities will be cut drastically.
Yes many of you fans have pointed out Mason's shooting will be missed. With Finley back it won't be missed as much as you may think. Yes Mason had a great one dribble pull up on his pick and roll opportunities early in the season, when the defense was lazy or went under the screen non-nonchalantly. Hate to burst your Mason bubble, but those screen and roll opportunities won't be there next year.

- Mason will be used to spot up from three when Tim/ Parker/ Manu/ RJ are creating. Finley or a FA signing with some or all of the MLE can do that people. Mason won't be seeing anywhere close to the 30.4 mpg he got last year with RJ and Manu taking up 60 minutes that were available last year. Not to mention Pop stating earlier in the off-season that Hill will get more time at the 2-spot. And don't forget Michael Finley either. Finley will get some run. All this leads me to thinking, will Mason's shooting really be missed if his minutes were to be cut by 40 % ?? I think not.

Especially if the Spurs then turn around ( given they include Mason for a trade for Camby) and use the MLE on a wing to compete for minutes with Finley and Hill at the 2 or 3 ( both interchangeable). IE Moon/ Barnes/ Carney/ Kleiza ect.

I don't believe giving up Mason would be as detrimental to the Spurs as some may think, not only because of the PT and opportunity factor, but also by his liability on the defensive end ( one of the worst, if not the worst perimeter defender on the team last year.) This was one of the reason's Pop chose to go with Bowen and Hill against the Mavs since Mason's shot wasn't falling and he couldn't do anything else to help the team.

All in all, Spurs might think the best time to get anything significant for Bonner/ Mason is now. Given the fact that their opportunities will be decreased, and therefore their trade value may fall. Or they simply might not have plans to resign them after this season. Since the Spurs will more than likely be giving Manu an extension next year, would we be able to pony up 6 million per year for Mason too next year? I doubt it. And since we gave Haislip a 2 year deal and with Splitter maybe on his way in 2010, would Spurs be willing to give out another 10 million contract to Bonner? I doubt it.

Don't get it wrong. I would rather include Finley in a trade than Mason because of the value and age factor. I just don't see how the Clippers would want Finley. Mason would make more sense for the Clippers given their lack of depth at the wing position and with his value/ age. And at the same time in the Spurs current situation, Mason is expendable. Reason why I point him out is he would be the main component to get the deal done, not Bonner surprisingly.

If we can't sign McDyess and I think the Spurs' best bet is to offer the Clips the offer proposed and yes that would include the beloved Roger Mason.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Sign Baby for the MLE.

Make that trade for Camby.

Win championship.

mudyez
07-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Sign Baby for the MLE.

Make that trade for Camby.

Win championship.

:tu

gmanrulz
07-08-2009, 02:55 AM
is baby better than bass?

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:57 AM
is baby better than bass?

Every day of the week he is.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 03:01 AM
Baby would be a waste of the MLE.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Baby would be a waste of the MLE.

With Camby?!? Are you crazy?

Who would you rather pick up before the trade for Camby?

timvp
07-08-2009, 03:03 AM
The Clippers would say no thanks and hang up the phone.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 03:05 AM

True, but what else do we have to do while we wait for the improbable Dice update?:lol

07-08-2009, 03:05 AM
this discussion is irrelevant because mcdyess is coming.

Yuixafun
07-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Smells like Kurt Thomas

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 03:07 AM

thanks for the opinion. Without reading anything written but the proposed deal.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 03:09 AM

Hopefully!

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 03:10 AM

Hope so too. Knock on wood please.

50 cent
07-08-2009, 03:13 AM
No way the Clips do it and then we would have nothing at the 2/3 once Ginobili goes down with injury.

07-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Hope so too. Knock on wood please.
just need to believe!

timvp
07-08-2009, 03:15 AM
thanks for the opinion. Without reading anything written but the proposed deal.

I read your whole post. I agree with basically everything. I know you are on some Mason = Finley crusade ... and I don't disagree. If I got to pick one, I'd pick Mason only because he's younger. Mason's defense is weak and unlikely to improve so he's fair game as trade bait.

All that said, the reasoning and a further discussion isn't necessary when the Clippers wouldn't do that trade. Maybe at the trade deadline if they suck and no one else is offering more but right now, the Clippers have no reason to make that trade due to trading away Randolph.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 03:19 AM
No way the Clips do it and then we would have nothing at the 2/3 once Ginobili goes down with injury.

Clips would say yes in a heartbeat if they are out of contention in late January.

Although, right now I don't think they would abruptly hang up the phone in disgust as some of you may assume. I think they would consider it and weigh- in the free agents at the 4/5 position that could be had for the LLE or around there if they did make the trade to solidify their wing situation and a 1st rounder. Not to mention a quality back up in Bonner. Not saying they would go for it instantly, but they would have to consider it.

Considering this...http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/spurs-had-close.html

But I do agree it will be harder to get him now that they got rid of Randolph. But if they really wanted to give DeAndre Jordan more run, they would possibly consider it. Even now.

Let's just hope Dice comes home people.

VivaPopovich
07-08-2009, 03:23 AM
i wouldnt give up all that for camby

not the end of the world if we dont land dice. blair should be given a chance at major minutes, the boy's gonna get us some rebounds

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 03:26 AM
i wouldnt give up all that for camby

not the end of the world if we dont land dice. blair should be given a chance at major minutes, the boy's gonna get us some rebounds

I'd have to pull the trigger. The only pieces you don't want to lose in that deal is Mason and the 1st round pick.

For Camby, I'd pull the trigger.

Danny.Zhu
07-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Camby is not that good.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Camby is not that good.

Perhaps so, perhaps not.

But Camby, Duncan, and Dice/Davis all on the same roster?!?!

And the only player you're giving up that you don't want to lose is Mason?!?

You'd have to do it in a heartbeat.:king

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Patience.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't waste the MLE on either BB or BB (Baby or Bass, that is) since they don't fit a need, I'd take a run at Pachulia, and if that didn't work I'd try to grab some lunchpail-type guy who costs bugger all like Rasho or Tony Battie (I'm sure the Nets wouldn't mind trading him for one of our contracts).

But, as I've said all along, Dice is coming to SA, so it won't come to that. :D

weebo
07-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Clips would say yes in a heartbeat if they are out of contention in late January.

Although, right now I don't think they would abruptly hang up the phone in disgust as some of you may assume. I think they would consider it and weigh- in the free agents at the 4/5 position that could be had for the LLE or around there if they did make the trade to solidify their wing situation and a 1st rounder. Not to mention a quality back up in Bonner. Not saying they would go for it instantly, but they would have to consider it.

Considering this...http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/02/spurs-had-close.html

But I do agree it will be harder to get him now that they got rid of Randolph. But if they really wanted to give DeAndre Jordan more run, they would possibly consider it. Even now.

Let's just hope Dice comes home people.

:lmao

hater
07-08-2009, 09:02 AM
HELLO FRIENDS!!!!

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/buzzerbeater/gooden.jpg

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
:lmao

Bonner would be a good rotation guy for the Clippers believe it or not.