PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Marion to Mavericks will be announced today

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:17 AM
i hear that sources at CBS sports are saying that this is the trade that will go down...

Jerry Stackhouse
$2 Million
Antoine Wright
2nd Rounder

for

Shawn Marion
Marcus Banks

holy crap if this is true... WOW.

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:20 AM
not saying this is what will happen, just that its a rumor ive seen

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Sucks that we had to take Banks and his horrible contract but it's only 2 years. I know he has been injured so maybe dude can play some off the bench...if not you can trade his contract next year. :elephant

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Sucks that we had to take Banks and his horrible contract but it's only 2 years. I know he has been injured so maybe dude can play some off the bench...if not you can trade his contract next year. :elephant

IF this is true... yeah, his contract sucks, but I don't mind having him. He is a good backup to have, and plays very solid defense. And since it seems like the Mavs like having an undersized 2 guard, perhaps Barea could take over Terry's role, and the Mavs can look for a way to trade him.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Why Banks and not Humphries? It's possible to work it out with either guy.

Thunder Dan
07-08-2009, 08:26 AM
how come the Mavs never played Stackhouse this year? was there some kind of beef with him and the FO?

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Why Banks and not Humphries? It's possible to work it out with either guy.

i guess cuz they wanna get rid of banks crappy contract.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
how come the Mavs never played Stackhouse this year? was there some kind of beef with him and the FO?

He was hurt. It's been his MO for the last couple years.

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM

he was "hurt"

to me, it was cuz they wanted to trade him, and did it for 2 reasons... either they didnt want him to get hurt since hes injury prone, or they didnt want people to see how bad he sucked so that other teams would be a little more inclined to take him

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
although, if the raptors are just going to release him, i wonder if the mavs could sign him back for the vets minimum or something? i honestly dont mind him being on the team as a backup. as long as he doesnt get overused. but he periodically can catch fire and go off for 25.

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
This means Josh has the start at SG with Marion at SF. I hope Josh is working out this Summer and gonna take this as a challenge. No way you trade Damp this year given the value of his contract for a trade next year. So if we get Gortat I still think Damp starts but plays only 15-20 mins a game:

C - Damp
PF - Dirk
SF - Marion
SG - Howard
PG - Kidd

Bench: Terry, Gortat, ?PF (not sure we can keep Bass), Hollins, barera, Banks

Only thing Mavs are missing are a backup SG and PF---I say get marquis back and we are set till 2010 :elephant

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 08:31 AM

He was hurt and he SUCKS NOW. Raptors are probably gonna cut him and more than likely he retires. Maybe joins the Mavs in some management role. :elephant

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I'll believe the Marion trade when I see it.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:34 AM
This means Josh has the start at SG with Marion at SF. I hope Josh is working out this Summer and gonna take this as a challenge. No way you trade Damp this year given the value of his contract for a trade next year. So if we get Gortat I still think Damp starts but plays only 15-20 mins a game:

C - Damp
PF - Dirk
SF - Marion
SG - Howard
PG - Kidd

Only thing Mavs are missing are a backup SG and PF---I say get marquis back and we are set till 2010 :elephant

I think the Marion thing happens in some fashion, because Cuban usually gets what he wants. We've seen it before.

I'm more worried about the dominoes falling and the Magic deciding to keep Gortat.

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
not sure why people think Josh would have such a hard time playing SG. to me, i think he tries to play like one a lot, and many times does the duties of a SG. he has better handles than people think. he bring the ball up the court quite often. but fact is, if you got Kidd on the team, he needs to be handling that ball 98% of the time. Josh can also create his own scoring, something SGs should be able to do. i think he would be just fine as a SG.

the crazy thing is how good of a rebounding team the Mavs will be. with Kidd, Howard, Marion, Dirk, and Gortat... those are all very good rebounders, all guys who can get 10+ any given night. and Marion should be able to help a lot especially on offensive boards, getting the Mavericks second chance points. im really excited if this goes down.

sribb43
07-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Banks....:pctoss

pauls931
07-08-2009, 08:38 AM
dammit...

rayray2k8
07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Raptors, Mavs Deal For Marion Reaches Standstill

A potential sign-and-trade between the Raptors and Mavericks involving Shawn Marion appears to have reached a standstill.

The deal is stuck on two points, according to the Dallas Morning News.

An Eastern Conference executive said that one of the points is the inclusion of Toronto point guard Marcus Banks in the deal.

However, Banks is due $9 million over the next two seasons, which would impact the Mavericks' ability to pursue stars in next summer's free agent market.

The other problem is that Toronto doesn't want to take back any salary in exchange for Marion, who is an unrestricted free agent.

If the Raptors won't agree to take Jerry Stackhouse, who has a $7 million contract with $2 million in guarantees, then a third team would have to be found to facilitate the deal.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60419/20090708/raptors_mavs_deal_for_marion_reaches_standstill/

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Raptors, Mavs Deal For Marion Reaches Standstill

A potential sign-and-trade between the Raptors and Mavericks involving Shawn Marion appears to have reached a standstill.

The deal is stuck on two points, according to the Dallas Morning News.

An Eastern Conference executive said that one of the points is the inclusion of Toronto point guard Marcus Banks in the deal.

However, Banks is due $9 million over the next two seasons, which would impact the Mavericks' ability to pursue stars in next summer's free agent market.

The other problem is that Toronto doesn't want to take back any salary in exchange for Marion, who is an unrestricted free agent.

If the Raptors won't agree to take Jerry Stackhouse, who has a $7 million contract with $2 million in guarantees, then a third team would have to be found to facilitate the deal.

That was from yesterday evening.

timvp
07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Witness Bryan Colangelo

Inherited Villanueva --> Ford --> J. O'Neal --> Marion --> Antoine Wright

lol colangelo

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:46 AM
db.com continues to say the Marion trade is a shaky possibility, not an inevitability. And I would think it happens today or not at all, bc they have to renounce his rights to sign Hedo.

Danny.Zhu
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM

C - Damp
PF - Dirk
SF - Marion
SG - Howard
PG - Kidd

That would be definitely better than the Spurs if we don't get McDyess. Damn.

sribb43
07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
If Mavs have to take back Banks then the deal is off...Spurs and Cavs didnt have to take back ridiculous contracts when off loading players. Banks would be the new Wahad. Cubes needs to stop getting raped in deals like this and take a stand for once

Shank
07-08-2009, 09:02 AM
The Banks thing is just Colangelo pushing his shit off on the Mavs. It's possible to work the deal without having to throw Banks into it. Fuck off, Canada.

stretch
07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
i know he doesnt have a good contract, but i can deal with that if it gives us marion. and banks is a solid backup.

stretch
07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
of course id rather there be a different alternative, but we shall see...

Thunder Dan
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
no offense to the beloved Mavs and their fans, but I think a hurt Stackhouse would have been a solid option last year. I mean it's not like the Mavs bench was exactly lighting the world on fire with their play last year

Shank
07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
The alternative is Cuban and the Mavs just stepping away from the table. Fuck you, Colangelo. You're now pissing off a player you were trying to help in Marion and his agent by letting him walk and earn only a portion of what he would get in this trade. You're going to have to scrap 3 players all because you just had to have Hedo and because you were insistent on flipping Marcus Banks in a potential deal.

But, will Cuban play poker well enough? Or will he fold up and let Colangelo call the shots?

Shank
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
no offense to the beloved Mavs and their fans, but I think a hurt Stackhouse would have been a solid option last year. I mean it's not like the Mavs bench was exactly lighting the world on fire with their play last year

Are you Hubie Brown?

Stackhouse couldn't do a thing on the court. Why would any team play someone that's hurt?

sribb43
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
i know he doesnt have a good contract, but i can deal with that if it gives us marion. and banks is a solid backup.

Really? I think he is one of the biggest spares in the league. Barea>>>Banks. We dont need a 4th PG taking up a roster spot with Bobo on the team as well

sribb43
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM

ya just like a hurt T-mac would have been a solid option for the rockets:rolleyes

stretch
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Really? I think he is one of the biggest spares in the league. Barea>>>Banks. We dont need a 4th PG taking up a roster spot with Bobo on the team as well

i agree. id rather not take banks, but i think its worth it to get Marion. and i think Barea could start doing what Terry does (score points as an undersized 2 guard), and perhaps the Mavs can now shop Terry (while his value is at its highest), since they would have a decent backup at the PG position. and if Bobo turns out to be good, that would be even nicer.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Colangelo is easily the most overrated GM in the NBA, not even close..

The Mavs are in a very tough place right now..not young enough to rebuild, but currently not good enough to win a title..their front office is gonna have to make some tough decisions..

sribb43
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
i agree. id rather not take banks, but i think its worth it to get Marion. and i think Barea could start doing what Terry does (score points as an undersized 2 guard), and perhaps the Mavs can now shop Terry (while his value is at its highest), since they would have a decent backup at the PG position. and if Bobo turns out to be good, that would be even nicer.

For me, i dont trust Banks as a backup PG on a winning team and more JJB at the SG spot makes me cringe. I'm fine with JET on the bench as a 6th man, no point in moving him unless you can get a legit SG

jacobdrj
07-08-2009, 09:38 AM
A better Larry Brown (Carlisle) getting a better Tayshaun (Marion) an older, but better deffender/passer Billups (Kidd) a more consistent Rasheed (Dirk), a dumber Rip (Stupidhead Howard) and a more useless Ben (Damp). Its like 2004 all over again, only not.

Its like the Mirror universe...

[/sarcasm]

stretch
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
For me, i dont trust Banks as a backup PG on a winning team and more JJB at the SG spot makes me cringe. I'm fine with JET on the bench as a 6th man, no point in moving him unless you can get a legit SG

and thats what my goal would be. i wanna move terry and try to get a scoring SG to come off the bench. or if we couldnt get bass back, then trade him for a backup PF perhaps, and maybe try to sign Daniels, although I'd rather try to get a SG that is a solid 3 point shooter..

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
If so, great move by Toront0. Get expiring contract + cash to buy him out + get rid of Banks for Marion when he was going to walk anyways. Ya, you get Wright, but he is only 1.7M or so and is off the books next year.

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Witness Bryan Colangelo

lol colangelo

How is this a bad trade for Toronto? Yes they get Wright, but they get rid of Banks who is worse and has a longer contract. Then they get an expiring and the cash to buy Stack out while pawning off Banks?

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Dallas needs true alpha male leader a la Chauncey Billups.

Not a "lead by example but say absolutely nothing" Jason Kidd or giant pouter like Shawn Marion.

The Dynamics of the team is all messed up.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Colangelo is easily the most overrated GM in the NBA, not even close..

The Mavs are in a very tough place right now..not young enough to rebuild, but currently not good enough to win a title..their front office is gonna have to make some tough decisions..

He did trade Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk for Joe Johsnon, was able to get Boris Diaw and two first round picks when he was forced to trade Joe Johnson to the Hawks, drafted Amare Stoudemire when everyone else passed, signed Steve Nash when no one besides Dallas was interested, traded a young Steve Nash for a draft pick that became Shawn Marion, was able to convince New York to take Stephon Marbury AND Penny Hardaway's ridiculous contracts away without having to bribe them with a single first round pick (a la Seve Kerr) and even nailed one of the best MLE signings in the past five years when he picked up Raja Bell (how many other MLE signings made the first team all-defense?).

Hindsight is 20/20. And he's made some pretty savy moves while in Phoenix.

Double-Up
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
If Mavs have to take back Banks then the deal is off...Spurs and Cavs didnt have to take back ridiculous contracts when off loading players. Banks would be the new Wahad. Cubes needs to stop getting raped in deals like this and take a stand for once

But the difference is ex. Spurs traded for a player that had a contract already and his team wanted him off the books, but in this case Marion is a free agent so if they don't get anything for him what's the incentive to sign and trade?

sribb43
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
http://box308.bluehost.com/~dallasba/fullColumn.php?id=1815

BREAKING: Mavs Inching Closer On Marion

If It Goes Through, Mavs' Roster Will Be Overflowing With Bodies
By Mike Fisher and David Lord -- DB.com

We have it on good authority that Toronto and Dallas are making real progress this morning on the Marion talks. Working on the assumption that our good authority is good. ...

With the Mavs utilizing The Stack Chip in exchange for Marion (or, for the sake of the coming exercise, something), the roster will be hopefully overflowing with talent.

But it’ll also be overflowing with bodies.

A quick glance at a potential Mavs depth chart … and what might have to be trimmed:

Center: You’ll have Marcin Gortat coming, Erick Dampier staying (so we say) and, let’s pencil in Ryan Hollins.

Power forward: You’ll have Dirk Nowitzki. Some time at the 4 for Marion. Devean George is here somewhere, and let’s assume James Singleton stays.

Small forward: Josh Howard is the incumbent. Is Kris Humphries coming over? Plus Shawne Williams (unless he’s permanently AWOL) and toss Quentin Ross on the pile.

Shooting guard: Jason Terry is here. Antoine Wright is here. Matt Carroll’s here.

Point guard: Jason Kidd, then JJ Barea, then Roddy Beaubois.

Now, again, let’s not focus too much on starters, positions and roles just yet. … Josh at the 2 and Marion at the 3 clears up some of that. … but let’s just stick with bodies.

That's 17. Which is too many ...

And our list doesn’t include Brandon Bass, whom the Mavs want back at the right number ($3.5 million a year while he decides between Dallas and three others?). And it doesn’t include second-round power forward Ahmad Nivins (do you stick him in the organization’s developmental wing?). And it doesn’t include last year’s top pick, Shan Foster (no wonder Fish noted the other day that he seemed to be a forgotten man even on this year’s Summer League team!)

Oh, yeah. … what about the BAE?

So, there’s your overflow. Where do you trim?

Do you say no to Hollins and let him walk? Do you say no to Singleton? Do you scrap the idea of adding the journeyman Ross?

There might be something to like all three of those guys, as prospect-level varsity players. So maybe you get rid of George and Williams, who are both expiring … but how?

Allow us some spit-ballin’ room: What would New York take (and give you back) if you sent those expirings for Curry or Jeffries? Are there any other teams that are as aggressively trying to move off of salary for 2010 where you can package this whole combo platter? Should the Mavs let some of these decisions “make themselves’’ (with poor play or fine play in the Summer League, for example) or should they be proactive in paring down a roster than right now is on the verge of being fat with bodies?

It all starts with Marion ... but that's only the beginning of what to do with this roster.

Spursfan092120
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Seriously, am I the only one who thinks this is a bad trade for Dallas?

stretch
07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
probably cuz you're a moron

sribb43
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Seriously, am I the only one who thinks this is a bad trade for Dallas?

Im not a big fan of the deal but Marion>>>>>>>>corpse of Stackhouse

mikeb2016
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Witness Bryan Colangelo

lol colangelo

How is this a bad trade for Toronto? Yes they get Wright, but they get rid of Banks who is worse and has a longer contract. Then they get an expiring and the cash to buy Stack out while pawning off Banks?

The point is that he started with something, albeit not a great something, turned it into two brokedowns and a has-been that never-was, and is now going to get a career backup for it. Colangelo, like most decent NBA GMs has made a name for himself on some good triggers he has pulled (Amare, Nash) but has also missed badly (Bargnani, O'Neal), and he definitely is no genius GM. The media likes him because he talks, fans like him because he does make moves, and he has a good pedigree. But he isn't the guy I would hand the reigns over to if I were hunting for a championship.

mikeb2016
07-08-2009, 12:55 PM

With the potential reduction in the 2010 cap announced this morning, I fail to see how Banks' contract costs the Mavs anything more than money. They already are in trouble of having any free agent money to spend...their flexibility in 2010 is going to have be through sign-and-trades or taking others' big contracts (a la Spurs and Jefferson) with Dampier's contract and potentially Howard's.

As a Spurs fan, I am neither advocating this trade, nor opposing it, I am simply saying I don't think Banks' contract should be the thing that keeps it from getting done.

By the way, are Mavs fans pumped about Marion? I can see his career resurrecting a bit if the Mavs pay him enough to keep him happy, and Carlisle let's Kidd and Company play som Nellie ball, but Marion could also become a pariah that kills you. I would say its a good risk to take, given that you aren't winning a championship with your current roster.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Marion and Banks must be best friends by now this will be the 3rd time they've been traded together.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:00 PM
god da_suns_fan you are so fuckin stupid.

angelbelow
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
im not a fan of marion. too much of a selfish player. for the mavs sakes, i hope hes matured. on second thought, i really dont give a shit.

angelbelow
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Marion and Banks must be best friends by now this will be the 3rd time they've been traded together.

haha:lol didnt even realize that. they both suck but when packaged together the deal is somehow attractive.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
He did trade Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk for Joe Johsnon, was able to get Boris Diaw and two first round picks when he was forced to trade Joe Johnson to the Hawks, drafted Amare Stoudemire when everyone else passed, signed Steve Nash when no one besides Dallas was interested, traded a young Steve Nash for a draft pick that became Shawn Marion, was able to convince New York to take Stephon Marbury AND Penny Hardaway's ridiculous contracts away without having to bribe them with a single first round pick (a la Seve Kerr) and even nailed one of the best MLE signings in the past five years when he picked up Raja Bell (how many other MLE signings made the first team all-defense?).

Hindsight is 20/20. And he's made some pretty savy moves while in Phoenix.

What kind of a fuckin retarded douche considers trading Joe Johnson for Boris Diaw and 2 first round picks good?

Bryan Colangelo's moves that da_suns_fan didn't list since he's only been "da_suns_fan" since 2004:

traded Dan Majerle for John "Hot Rod" Williams
traded Jason Kidd for Stephon Marbury
signed Marbury and Penny to the ridiculous contracts you rave about him being able to trade.
drafted Zarko Cabarkapa (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cabarza01.html) with the 17th overall pick
drafted Casey Jacobsen over Teyshaun Prince
traded the New York Knicks unprotected 2010 pick to Utah just to unload goog's ridiculous contract that he gave him
traded Charles Barkley for the Sam Cassell poo poo platter
traded the 2004 7th overall pick for nothing
hired Frank Johnson as coach
traded Stephen Jackson

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
The point is that he started with something, albeit not a great something, turned it into two brokedowns and a has-been that never-was, and is now going to get a career backup for it. Colangelo, like most decent NBA GMs has made a name for himself on some good triggers he has pulled (Amare, Nash) but has also missed badly (Bargnani, O'Neal), and he definitely is no genius GM. The media likes him because he talks, fans like him because he does make moves, and he has a good pedigree. But he isn't the guy I would hand the reigns over to if I were hunting for a championship.

No, with that progression Marion turned into Hedo, not Wright. So Hedo is arguably better than all of those players right now. Missed badly on Bargnani? How so? He has had 2 very good seasons out of 3 and is still young, athletic and 7 feet tall. He can still shoot the 3 and midrange.

Not to mention that does not change the fact that this is a good trade for Toronto for the reasons I outlined.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
just think about it, if the Suns still had Colangelo, THEY COULD BE AS GOOD AS THE RAPTORS!!!!

If they still had D'antoni, THEY COULD BE AS GOOD AS THE KNICKS!!!!

:wow

Findog
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Isn't Sarver the guy that sold off all the picks?

Findog
07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm glad da_suns_fan is back. I'm willing to turn over a new leaf and accept him back into the fold.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Isn't Sarver the guy that sold off all the picks?

D'antoni is just as much of a culprit there, also lets not pretend the Colangelos were draft day gurus that made the most out of every pick. The Colangelos still had complete control of the team in 2004, they sold the 7th overall pick because they thought they were getting Kobe and wanted the cap room to sign him.

Since D'antoni left, the Suns haven't sold a single draft pick. The year they sold both the 21st and 27th overall pick, D'antoni was the GM and coach. Towards the end of the 2008 season when everyone was getting fed up with D'antoni, he had the classic line during a press conference, "I'm not here to develop players," that line certainly makes him look like someone who would want to sell draft picks.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Was it ever established how the Raps were going to be able to sign and trade Marion and still be able to sign Hedo? Who's the third team?

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
D'antoni is just as much of a culprit there, also lets not pretend the Colangelos were draft day gurus that made the most out of every pick. The Colangelos still had complete control of the team in 2004, they sold the 7th overall pick because they thought they were getting Kobe and wanted the cap room to sign him.

Since D'antoni left, the Suns haven't sold a single draft pick. The year they sold both the 21st and 27th overall pick, D'antoni was the GM and coach. Towards the end of the 2008 season when everyone was getting fed up with D'antoni, he had the classic line during a press conference, "I'm not here to develop players," that line certainly makes him look like someone who would want to sell draft picks.

You dont have the slightest idea what you are talking about. This post is filled with so many half-truths (and at least one complete fallacy) that I think you need a job as a politician.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Make that two complete fallacies.

The Suns didnt sell their 2004 pick. They traded it away to Chicago for the Bull's 2005 pick. They traded that with Q for Kurt Thomas.

Secondly, the Suns were never after Kobe Bryant. This has been well documented.

MajorMike
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm glad da_suns_fan is back. I'm willing to turn over a new leaf and accept him back into the fold.

True; every good board needs the local idiot.

Why So Serious
07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Marion would be better with kidd.

would be a good pickup.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
You dont have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

Coming from you that's a compliment.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Secondly, the Suns were never after Kobe Bryant. This has been well documented.

Not according to Gambo and Ash who are generally right about what players the Suns go after.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 01:57 PM
The Suns didnt sell their 2004 pick. They traded it away to Chicago for the Bull's 2005 pick. They traded that with Q for Kurt Thomas.

tomato/tomatoe, either way Bryan Colangelo sold a pick since he was GM in for both of those off seasons.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Not according to Gambo and Ash who are generally right about what players the Suns go after.

:lol

Well that explains it.

The Suns never even made a pitch to Kobe Bryant. Robert Sarver was interested and both Colangelos quickly told him "no" and the guy they really wanted was Nash.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
tomato/tomatoe, either way Bryan Colangelo sold a pick since he was GM in for both of those off seasons.

Youre not even making sense.

Edit...not sure if Colangelo sold the Rudy Fernandez pick.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Well that explains it.

The Suns never even made a pitch to Kobe Bryant. Robert Sarver was interested and both Colangelos quickly told him "no" and the guy they really wanted was Nash.

Even though that's not true, if it was it only adds to my argument that the Colangelos are retarded. Who the fuck chooses Steve Nash over Kobe Bryant? Probably the same person that gives Angelina Macaroni a 5 year 50 million dollar extension but doesn't give Joe Johnson a 6 year 50 million dollar extension.

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Was it ever established how the Raps were going to be able to sign and trade Marion and still be able to sign Hedo? Who's the third team?

They might have to throw in Humphries or Banks to make it work $$ wise. They can't take back ANY salary for Marion. Since today is signing day and they have to renounce his rights, doesn't this mean he gets traded today or set free? And the Mavs will then have to bid for his services like any other team? Which I don't think they can do since they used their MLE on Gortat.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Even though that's not true, if it was it only adds to my argument that the Colangelos are retarded. Who the fuck chooses Steve Nash over Kobe Bryant? Probably the same person that gives Angelina Macaroni a 5 year 50 million dollar extension but doesn't give Joe Johnson a 6 year 50 million dollar extension.

Well I agree they should have pulled out all the stops to keep Joe. Especially how much he had obviously improved after Marbury was traded during the 2004 season.

But not giving him that contract wasnt Colangelo's call. In fact, the "rumor" (its never been confirmed) was the Colangelo Sr. told Sarver to give Joe what he wanted (the contract you are refering to) but Sarver said no.

To be fair, Sarver has said several times that it was a mistake. But I dont know why you are comparing his decision to "wait-n-see" with Joe to Colangelo's decision to extend this other guy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Colangelo never sold a pick.

If you don't consider trading a first round pick for a future first round pick you know will be lower and cash considerations selling a pick, then you're stupid. We both know they traded the 7th overall pick to save money, they didn't trade it because they thought they were getting a good deal. Stop acting like it's so black and white.

I'm not even blaming Colangelo for doing it, I'm blaming D'antoni. D'antoni was the common denominator during the 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 off season when all the picks were sold. No one else had an influence over the team for all 4 of those off seasons other than D'antoni.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Well I agree they should have pulled out all the stops to keep Joe. Especially how much he had obviously improved after Marbury was traded during the 2004 season.

But not giving him that contract wasnt Colangelo's call. In fact, the "rumor" (its never been confirmed) was the Colangelo Sr. told Sarver to give Joe what he wanted (the contract you are refering to) but Sarver said no.

To be fair, Sarver has said several times that it was a mistake. But I dont know why you are comparing his decision to "wait-n-see" with Joe to Colangelo's decision to extend this other guy.

It was Colangelo's decision to "wait and see" with Joe, I hate Robert Sarver with a strong passion but the Colangelo's had complete control over personnel decisions during the 2004 off season.

I'm not talking about the 5 year 70 million dollar ATL contract, I'm talking about the 6 year 50 million dollar extension Joe wanted the year prior. Sarver had nothing to do with refusing to give Joe that money. My point is a that someone who wouldn't give JJ that money but would give fagnani the extension he got really doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

The Colangelos botched the Joe Johnson situation, and I don't fault Sarver at all for not giving him a 5 year 70 million dollar contract Atlanta offered, if he stayed on Phoenix and continued to do nothing other than play off ball as a shooting specialist in D'antoni's offense, he wouldn't be nearly the player he is today. The 2004-2005 Joe Johnson wasn't worth 5 year 70 million.

Muser
07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
So is this dead or alive?

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
The Mavs would be out of the running if they cannot do a S&T. That is the only way. This is a win for the Mavs talent wise. No question Marion is better than Stackhouse. How much better is the question and how will he fit in is another? Will the benefits of having him at the 3 and Josh at the 2 be worth it for the overall good of the team? Who knows, but you have to do this trade if it is available.

Not to mention, I think it is a great trade for Toronto when they really could just let him go for nothing. Not only are they not taking on any salary, but they would be dumping Banks it looks like. Wright is not any good, but that is still better than Banks even from a basketball standpoint.

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:32 PM
So is this dead or alive?

I think it's a 50/50 proposition.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
It was Colangelo's decision to "wait and see" with Joe, I hate Robert Sarver with a strong passion but the Colangelo's had complete control over personnel decisions during the 2004 off season.

I'm not talking about the 5 year 70 million dollar ATL contract, I'm talking about the 6 year 50 million dollar extension Joe wanted the year prior. Sarver had nothing to do with refusing to give Joe that money. My point is a that someone who wouldn't give JJ that money but would give fagnani the extension he got really doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

The Colangelos botched the Joe Johnson situation, and I don't fault Sarver at all for not giving him a 5 year 70 million dollar contract Atlanta offered, if he stayed on Phoenix and continued to do nothing other than play off ball as a shooting specialist in D'antoni's offense, he wouldn't be nearly the player he is today. The 2004-2005 Joe Johnson wasn't worth 5 year 70 million.

SO AM I!! And Ive never heard anyone claim that it was the Colangelos and not Sarver who turned down Joe in 2004 OR 2005. Kudos for getting the numbers correct (most people dont), but you are mistaken.

Likewise, the Suns also thought Joe was at least the 6 year, 75 million dollar offer they went up to in 2005, and saying Joe was nothing more than an off the ball shooter with the Suns is inaccurate. Anyone who watched that season could tell you one of the few plays the Suns ran in the half court was isolations for Joe Johnson. My favorite was when he would rock his defender to sleep and then bust a J in their face.

Oh man...that guy was great.

ploto
07-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Toronto would only sign and trade Marion if it helps them shed salary or get Hedo in a S&T. They are not going to do it to get anyone back from Dallas.

The way it would work is that Toronto would buy out Stackhouse and pay the other cheap guy and that would be less of a salary hit than paying Banks. There is NO incentive at all for Toronto to do the deal unless it helps them lessen their salary which they could do because Stack only has $2M guaranteed.

A straight S&T for Marion to Dallas serves Toronto no benefit unless they can involve Orlando and somehow get Hedo in a S&T from Orlando-- Marion S&T to Dallas-- and Dallas send something (like Bass, et al) to Orlando.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
If you don't consider trading a first round pick for a future first round pick you know will be lower and cash considerations selling a pick, then you're stupid. We both know they traded the 7th overall pick to save money, they didn't trade it because they thought they were getting a good deal. Stop acting like it's so black and white.

I'm not even blaming Colangelo for doing it, I'm blaming D'antoni. D'antoni was the common denominator during the 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 off season when all the picks were sold. No one else had an influence over the team for all 4 of those off seasons other than D'antoni.

Man...you are so mistaken. You are a VERY opinionated poster, which is cool as most posters here are just carbon copies of one another, but your facts are wrong.

In 2004, Sarver made it well known the Suns had to get their payroll in order before purchasing the team.

Secondly, there was no move made in 2005 to save money other than the Joe Johnson fiasco. The Bulls pick was traded with Q for Kurt Thomas. I dont know why you are blaming D'Antoni OR Colangelo for that one. I would rather have had KT than Nate Robinson and Q. Who are you blaming and for what reason?

Third, D'Antoni was GM during the 2006 off-season in which they sold the picks. Blame him all you want, I dont care. I personally believe he was given a number to work with and was told to try and sign Tim Thomas. His options were pretty limited.

In 2007, it was Kerr who sold our picks and traded away future ones. You can't possibly believe the Suns traded away KT and two first round picks for D'Antoni or Colangelo (who wasnt even part of the organization anymore).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:42 PM
saying Joe was nothing more than an off the ball shooter with the Suns is inaccurate. Anyone who watched that season could tell you one of the few plays the Suns ran in the half court was isolations for Joe Johnson. My favorite was when he would rock his defender to sleep and then bust a J in their face.

Oh man...that guy was great.

yes he had iso plays run for him here and there, I agree. But his one on one game would have digressed if he stayed with the Suns playing in that system. Look at Amare's one on one game in 2005 and where it is now, it's gotten way worse. Look at what happened to Q after he left Phoenix, on the Clippers he was great at posting other wing players up, now all he does is camp behing the arc and chuck.

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-marionmavericks070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&expire=1

Mavericks near deal for Marion
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
41 minutes ago

Buzz up!4 votes PrintMore From Adrian WojnarowskiCap set at $57.7M; Seven to pay luxury tax Jul 7, 2009 Pistons close to naming Kuester coach Jul 7, 2009
The Dallas Mavericks are close to acquiring Shawn Marion(notes) in a sign-and-trade deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources said Wednesday.

Jerry Stackhouse(notes) will be dealt to the Raptors, who will ship his contract to another team for considerations.

lefty
07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
LMAO Mavs :lmao

2Cleva
07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
That's a good move for Dallas.

I think they knock SA out of the playoffs again should they meet.

Kidd/Howard/Marion/Dirk/Gortat with Terry/Barea/Dampier and maybe Bass.

Plus they have Howard's last year K to use in trade bait. Michael Redd is a guy Dallas wanted before - with Milwaukee circling the drain, I see that happening by deadline at latest.

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
LMAO Mavs :lmao

what's so funny? I'd rather have Marion than Stackhouse's remains.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
what's so funny? I'd rather have Marion than Stackhouse's remains.

Hell yeah. You get him for nothing, that's good. You get him AND move Stack somewhere else, that's just gravy on the potatoes.

I'd run it through the trade machine, but Marion's no longer on Toronto's roster.

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Plus they have Howard's last year K to use in trade bait. Michael Redd is a guy Dallas wanted before - with Milwaukee circling the drain, I see that happening by deadline at latest.

I'd love Michael Redd - just need to see how his legs hold up after that ACL injury before I make a move to acquire him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Third, D'Antoni was GM during the 2006 off-season in which they sold the picks. Blame him all you want, I dont care. I personally believe he was given a number to work with and was told to try and sign Tim Thomas. His options were pretty limited.

In 2007, it was Kerr who sold our picks and traded away future ones. You can't possibly believe the Suns traded away KT and two first round picks for D'Antoni or Colangelo (who wasnt even part of the organization anymore).

:lmao

It's pretty easy to make an argument when you believe what you want to believe. When D'antoni was GM AND coach in 2006, it wasn't his fault picks were sold at all, but for some reason when Kerr was a rookie GM in 2007 who had no power at the time, it's completely his fault that picks were sold. Explain that logic.

Of course I'm not blaming Colangelo, I'm blaming D'antoni and Sarver for the KT trade. Kerr executed the trade because Sarver told him to. D'antoni wanted KT traded, D'antoni hated using Kurt Thomas, we know he's an extremely one dimensional coach that doesn't know how to use role players who specialize at defense. We also know D'antoni didn't like young players, this is evident by his quote, "I'm not here to develop players."

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:50 PM
It probably wouldn't have done much good either way if D'antoni kept the picks and used them. Danilo Galinari sure looks like something special so far.

Findog
Hell yeah. You get him for nothing, that's good. You get him AND move Stack somewhere else, that's just gravy on the potatoes.

Yeah, nobody is saying Marion is as good as LeBron James. The best that Dallas can hope for this offseason is to be in the "we're right there" category, which means with health and some lucky breaks, they could advance out of the West. That was pretty much 2006, with Amare being out and Duncan having PF. Magic probably would not have beaten Boston w/ a healthy KG.

Marion was practically the 2nd-best player in Miami and Toronto. In Dallas, he'd be the 4th option. The only risk is if he still has that propensity for getting into alpha dog pissing matches.

ploto
The new twist is that it looks like Toronto is not even going to have to buy out Stackhouse themselves, but instead trade him to a team under the cap clearing up even more space to sign Hedo and Parker or Delfino.

spursfan09
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
:tu Good moves for mavs...

Sons of bitches!

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
The new twist is that it looks like Toronto is not even going to have to buy out Stackhouse themselves, but instead trade him to a team under the cap clearing up even more space to sign Hedo and Parker or Delfino.

Hot damn.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Marion was practically the 2nd-best player in Miami and Toronto.

He was also the 2nd best player on the Suns from 2005-2007.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM

It's pretty easy to make an argument when you believe what you want to believe. When D'antoni was GM AND coach in 2006, it wasn't his fault picks were sold at all, but for some reason when Kerr was a rookie GM in 2007 who had no power at the time, it's completely his fault that picks were sold. Explain that logic.

Of course I'm not blaming Colangelo, I'm blaming D'antoni and Sarver for the KT trade. Kerr executed the trade because Sarver told him to. D'antoni wanted KT traded, D'antoni hated using Kurt Thomas, we know he's an extremely one dimensional coach that doesn't know how to use role players who specialize at defense. We also know D'antoni didn't like young players, this is evident by his quote, "I'm not here to develop players."

I agree that D'Antoni had many flaws and needed to go, but saying he didnt like young players is disingenuous. LB was young. Amare was young. Joe Johnson was young.

In 2004-2005, the Phoenix Suns were the youngest team in the NBA.

D'Antoni didnt have problems with young players, he was stating that his priority was to go after veterans to help them win a championship rather than draft rookies who he would have to play if they were ever going to develop. You, like so many others, are taking his quote completely out of context.

You should hook up with JMarksJohn if he's still around. He too loved to use every D'Antoni cliche in the book.

I might agree with you that D'Antoni might have been consulted before trading KT, but I doubt it. I dont blame Kerr. He is the quintessential "Yes-Man" who does whatever the owner wants him to do.

btw - Sorry, Mavs fans for hi-jacking your thread.

Ghazi
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM

-_- only in 2006!

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Toronto did a good job and so did the Mavs. Win / Win for both teams if this happens.

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Not a problem dsf. We're allowed to post on stuff that is peripheral to the thread.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Since he was the only one of their top three players who could or would defend anyone, he deserves to be at least in the top two.

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
-_- only in 2006!

I agree.

Findog
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Toronto did a good job and so did the Mavs. Win / Win for both teams if this happens.

If they immediately ship out Stack so they don't have to renounce Delfino? Yeah, I'd call that a win/win. Maybe the Mavs could've gotten somebody better than Marion for the Stack contract, but 1 in the hand > 2 in the bush.

Ditty
07-08-2009, 03:02 PM

lol in the western confernce finals

if the spurs get mdyess and lakers lose odom the spurs should be as good as LA or even better

mavs look imtiminating if this happens but marion has been described as a selfish player i see mavs being the 4th best team in the conference right now

lakers
spurs
blazers
mavs

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM

if the spurs get mdyess and lakers lose odom the spurs should be as good as LA or even better

mavs look imtiminating if this happens but marion has been described as a selfish player i see mavs being the 4th best team in the conference right now

lakers
spurs
blazers
mavs

Weren't they sixth in the west last year? Sounds like a step up to me. If you have HCA in the first round you've got a legitimate shot. The Mavs might need some luck to fall their way, but that happens to every team who wins.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I agree that D'Antoni had many flaws and needed to go, but saying he didnt like young players is disingenuous. LB was young. Amare was young. Joe Johnson was young.

In 2004-2005, the Phoenix Suns were the youngest team in the NBA.

D'Antoni didnt have problems with young players, he was stating that his priority was to go after veterans to help them win a championship rather than draft rookies who he would have to play if they were ever going to develop. You, like so many others, are taking his quote completely out of context.

You should hook up with JMarksJohn if he's still around. He too loved to use every D'Antoni cliche in the book.

I might agree with you that D'Antoni might have been consulted before trading KT, but I doubt it. I dont blame Kerr. He is the quintessential "Yes-Man" who does whatever the owner wants him to do.

JMarksJohn is smart enough to know D'antoni was a joke. Yes he still posts and he knows what he's talking about.

And D'antoni killed Amare's development. Absolutely killed it. He never held Amare accountable for defense or help him play better defense, and rather than give Amare touches in the post and allow him to develop a post game, he made Amare a one dimensional pick and roll scorer.

Your basing all of your stuff off conjecture. It's not an issue of "might", it's public knowledge that KT was traded largely cause D'antoni said he wasn't going to use him much. Do you not remember the playoffs in 2007 when D'antoni threw game 1 against the Spurs away because he didn't use Kurt Thomas? If D'antoni had nothing to do with sold draft picks, explain why the team hasn't sold a single pick since he left?

The notion D'antoni didn't like young players because he wanted to win a championship is retarded. If D'antoni wanted a championship, he would have emphasized defense more. He didn't like developing players because he was too stubborn and impatient to watch players make mistakes.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
-_- only in 2006!

Thanks for proving my point. 2006 makes it very clear that the 2005-2007 Suns were way more dependent off Marion than Amare. They won 54 games that season and were 2 games away from the finals that season w/o Amare. If Amare was healthy in 2006 and Marion wasn't, I guarantee they don't win that many regular season games nor do they win that many playoff games.

sribb43
07-08-2009, 03:20 PM

lakers
spurs
blazers
mavs

all selfish players who have come to the Mavs have faired well here...Van Exel ans Stack come to mind. I dont think he will be a problem here. With Kidd at PG, there are plenty of shots to go around

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
JMarksJohn is smart enough to know D'antoni was a joke. Yes he still posts and he knows what he's talking about.

Good to know. No doubt he's still upset the Suns didnt re-sing DJ Strawberry to a max contract (and the rest of those guys on the bench that D'Antoni never played that couldnt stay in the league).

And D'antoni killed Amare's development. Absolutely killed it. He never held Amare accountable for defense or help him play better defense, and rather than give Amare touches in the post and allow him to develop a post game, he made Amare a one dimensional pick and roll scorer..

Some blame can be given to D'Antoni, but as you say its not "cut and dry". Amare will never be a good post player because Amare doesnt like contact. Amare doesnt like contact, rebounding or playing defense because all three are physically exhausting and he doesnt like to exert himself.

Amare never had the IQ to develop a solid post game a la Boris Diaw. Unfortunatley Diaw was more concerned with the ladies and whats for lunch rather than basketball.

Your basing all of your stuff off conjecture. It's not an issue of "might", it's public knowledge that KT was traded largely cause D'antoni said he wasn't going to use him much. Do you not remember the playoffs in 2007 when D'antoni threw game 1 against the Spurs away because he didn't use Kurt Thomas? If D'antoni had nothing to do with sold draft picks, explain why the team hasn't sold a single pick since he left? .

Well, if the Suns would have sold their picks in 2007 I think the fans would have mutinied after three straight years. :lol

I think your observation is more of a product of timing rather than D'Antoni being the source. What did D'Antoni have to gain from selling draft picks? He didnt pocket the cash. He was the one stuck with the scrubs at the end of his bench. One man is responsible for selling those picks and he's the guy with the stupid foam finger.

The notion D'antoni didn't like young players because he wanted to win a championship is retarded. If D'antoni wanted a championship, he would have emphasized defense more. He didn't like developing players because he was too stubborn and impatient to watch players make mistakes.

So you are saying that Mike didnt care about a championship and thats why he didnt emphasize defense more?

Sorry to break it to you, but Mike D'Antoni is an actual person and not the silly caricature you are making him out to be. I agreed that he had to go because he was just getting owned by Popovic year after year and we needed to try something else, but he's the source of all the Suns problems and neither was BC.

Well, Im out. Back to phxsuns.net.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
So you are saying that Mike didnt care about a championship and thats why he didnt emphasize defense more?

Mike cares more about having fun than winning championships. He's said so himself.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
What did D'Antoni have to gain from selling draft picks?

He didn't, Sarver wanted him to sell the picks since he made it clear he wouldn't be using the players.

Ghazi
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
This thread isn't about the Suns and, I'm getting impatient! :D

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
This thread isn't about the Suns and, I'm getting impatient! :D

Go jump off a bridge.

Ditty
07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
all selfish players who have come to the Mavs have faired well here...Van Exel ans Stack come to mind. I dont think he will be a problem here. With Kidd at PG, there are plenty of shots to go around

well im not trying to dog on the mavs like usual but thats what wins games but not championships

i believe they might be better than the nuggets this season

i think the nuggets will be a one and done team like the 2008 hornets

Shank
07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Grizzlies are now in the mix.

stretch
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4314637

shank just beat me to it

kobyz
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
good move by both teams.
Mavericks get better with Marion without giving nothing just take bad contract that Cuban not mind.
Raptors get rid of bad contract.

stretch
07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
so im guessing Mavs get Marion, Grizzlies get Stack, and Raptors get cash or picks?

Shank
07-08-2009, 04:44 PM
A fourth team might be involved, so it looks as though someone else might be pawning their crap off on another. Jaric, Banks, Humphries?

stretch
07-08-2009, 04:50 PM
hm... maybe this can be a way for the mavs to get rid of the plethora of swingmen they would have... howard, marion, wright, george, williams, carroll, ross... id like to keep williams the most and see if he can develop into anything. dont really care about george, wright, or carroll. although carroll is a pretty good 3 point shooter, i dont mind holding onto him, but williams is supposed to actually be a very good shooter himself, and is a lot more athletic. so who knows...

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
What is in this for the Grizz?

ploto
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Hot damn.
Yet sources told ESPN.com that the deal, while very far along, has not been finalized and was unlikely to be completed before Thursday at the earliest, with the trade potentially including a fourth team in its final form.

The Mavericks' interest in a sign-and-trade deal for Marion emerged Tuesday but requires Dallas and Toronto to find at least one more team to facilitate the trade because the Raptors can't waive Stackhouse without incurring an extra $2 million in payroll for next season, which would slice into the cap space they have earmarked to sign prized free agent Hedo Turkoglu away from Orlando.

But the Grizzlies' participation would involve Memphis absorbing Stackhouse's $7.25 million contract and buying him out for $2 million before the Aug. 10 deadline in Stackhouse's contract. It's believed that the trade will stipulate that Dallas pays that $2 million to the Grizzlies to cover that expense.

ploto
07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
What is in this for the Grizz?

They probably get a "free" pick because Dallas will include the cash to buy out Stack in the deal, so it costs them nothing.

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 05:19 PM
They probably get a "free" pick because Dallas will include the cash to buy out Stack in the deal, so it costs them nothing.

Oh, ok. I just looked at their cap situation and they are wayyyyyyyyy below. So it does not hurt them to absorb the contract.

jag
07-08-2009, 06:01 PM
If this ends up going through....then this season is going to be wild.

Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Blazers, Cavs, Celtics, Magic...Stacked

Shank
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Should this happen and the Mavs find takers for bodies/picks for some of the fat (Dickbreath, Pothead Shawne Williams, Wright, Carroll), they'll still be in great position with JHo and Dampier around the trade deadline. Things are looking better today than they did last week. Just hoping the bottom doesn't fall out like we know it can.

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Trades like this never happen for the Mavericks. I still don't believe it.

Shank
07-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Trades like this never happen for the Mavericks. I still don't believe it.

Look for Marion to wrap his car around a tree tonight and ruin the whole thing.

ploto
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Don't know the reliability. Sounds like another attempt by Toronto to shed some salary.

Also makes more room for Rasho whose chances of returning to Toronto have greatly increased with the past week's activity.

Kris Humphries will apparently be a Mav. Whether he can play isn’t the issue right now; it’s more about working him him to see if he will waive some or all of his option year, or make Year Two a partial guarantee, or something like that.
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1817

Hubie Brown
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
You know Mike, I'm curious why this can't just be a swap of Shawn Marion and Jerry Stackhouse. When you look at the Mavs you see plenty of offense with All Stars Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard, 6th man of the year Jason Terry, and Jason Kidd running the show. Marion can add a defensive element to that team, so it makes sense for them to trade for him.

And then you take a look at the Raptors, you have your frontline with Bosh and Bargnani, you have your point guard with Calderon, and your small forward with Turkoglu. The only ingredient they lack is a shooting guard who can step in and give you 20 points, and Jerry Stackhouse can be that player.

Mike if I'm the Raptors I'm asking for Jerry Stackhouse if I'm going to trade Marion.

bdictjames
07-08-2009, 07:20 PM

ginobili's bald spot
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
You know Mike, I'm curious why this can't just be a swap of Shawn Marion and Jerry Stackhouse. When you look at the Mavs you see plenty of offense with All Stars Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard, 6th man of the year Jason Terry, and Jason Kidd running the show. Marion can add a defensive element to that team, so it makes sense for them to trade for him.

And then you take a look at the Raptors, you have your frontline with Bosh and Bargnani, you have your point guard with Calderon, and your small forward with Turkoglu. The only ingredient they lack is a shooting guard who can step in and give you 20 points, and Jerry Stackhouse can be that player.

Mike if I'm the Raptors I'm asking for Jerry Stackhouse if I'm going to trade Marion.

I love this troll more than words can describe.

Findog
07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Fake Hubie Brown is gold. :tu

kobyz
07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
look out from the Mavs! they gonna have a good team, they added Marion and Gortat and they have the big exprin contract of Dampier to use in a trade.

Jeremy
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
KTAR's Gambo in PHX is reporting that the deal has blown up due to the 4th team backing out.

clambake
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
KTAR's Gambo in PHX is reporting that the deal has blown up due to the 4th team backing out.

of course it has. mavs don't make decent trades.

Ghazi
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Gambo can suck it! :(

Basketballgirl25
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
If this ends up going through....then this season is going to be wild.

Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Blazers, Cavs, Celtics, Magic...Stacked

remember though, player get hurt every nba season, hopefully a player on Celtics, Mavs, and maybe lakers get hurt that would make it better:toast

Jeremy
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
http://twitter.com/sports620ktar

clambake
07-08-2009, 07:48 PM
a typical mav trade would be.......dampier and stack for greg buckner......again.

Ghazi
07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
remember though, player get hurt every nba season, hopefully a player on Celtics, Mavs, and maybe lakers get hurt that would make it better:toast

Yeahhh that would definitely put the Nets into the championship picture

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/basketball/

An NBA source says Shawn Marion will be a Dallas Maverick. Details to come.

Ghazi
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I need this deal to be official so I can give my thoughts on our beloved Marion tonight.

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I need this deal to be official so I can give my thoughts on our beloved Marion tonight.

I'll go with the Dallas Morning News over some dipshit on Twitter.

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
http://twitter.com/sports620ktar

It's a sports radio station in PHOENIX!!! Hahaha :elephant

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Nothing official, so still all speculation.

Jeremy
07-08-2009, 08:16 PM
It's a sports radio station in PHOENIX!!! Hahaha :elephant

Gambo is well-connected.

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Gambo is well-connected.

So is Eddie Sefko. We'll find out soon enough who was right. It's still all rumors, talk and speculation at this point.

Jeremy
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
So is Eddie Sefko. We'll find out soon enough who was right. It's still all rumors, talk and speculation at this point.

Very true.

dude1394
07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
well im not trying to dog on the mavs like usual but thats what wins games but not championships

The mavs have gotten more atheltic and better defenders at 2 of the 5 starters positions. Also they've improved the center depth no matter who starts.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Fuck Gambo and Sefko. I'm going with Stein on this and he's still saying it's on.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Why is this Gambo dipshit writing about the 4th team backing out? There doesn't even need to be a 4th team involved to make it happen. It's only going to take 3 when it's all said and done.

Jeremy
07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Stein now says:

After strong signals the deal would expand to include a fourth team -- with sources telling ESPN.com that the Mavericks called several teams Wednesday trying to recruit an additional trade partner -- sources have confirmed that the deal will only involve three teams.

"The deal changed," a source said.

Rogue
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
i hear that sources at CBS sports are saying that this is the trade that will go down...

Jerry Stackhouse
$2 Million
Antoine Wright
2nd Rounder

for

Shawn Marion
Marcus Banks

holy crap if this is true... WOW.
This is simply a crap trade for the team in blue, but not HOLYcrap. Jerry's contract would bring the Mavs much more than an inconsistent PG and a former all-star who is already in his twilight. Jamal Crawford would have been a decent fill for our starting 2 guard, and Donnie should have been the first of all to know the Warriors were shopping him because that trade was innovated and mainly executed by Don Nelson. Obviously Stack's expiring would be nicer than the combo contracts from Hawks.

Shank
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
That's not the trade.

Ghazi
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
This is simply a crap trade for the team in blue, but not HOLYcrap. Jerry's contract would bring the Mavs much more than an inconsistent PG and a former all-star who is already in his twilight. Jamal Crawford would have been a decent fill for our starting 2 guard, and Donnie should have been the first of all to know the Warriors were shopping him because that trade was innovated and mainly executed by Don Nelson. Obviously Stack's expiring would be nicer than the combo contracts from Hawks.

Crawford's terrible.

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
That's not the trade.

Mavs just gave up Stack and cash....so basically nothing for Marion. Well other than 5 years and 40 mil from Cuban :elephant

sribb43
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Mavs just gave up Stack and cash....so basically nothing for Marion. Well other than 5 years and 40 mil from Cuban :elephant

Fuck 5 years for Marion...dude will be 36 by then

Rogue
07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Crawford's terrible.
exactly, even Antonie Wright is the man who plays tough defense and attacks the rim much more than an average Mav does on the other end of the floor. Crawford may not be the an eventual resolution to the troubles, but he can at least mitigate the lack of a starting 2 guard. Marion would only be an replacement for Josh Howard, and it won't be nice if either of them plays off the bench as the Mavs have already got JET as their 6th man. Therefore Josh Howard is to be traded, but there isn't any team seeming interested in him at present. Of course it would be a stupid move to deal him cheaply as an expiring contract like Stack and Damp. Donnie should have accepted the Wizards' offer to deal him to Washington before the draft night, but as foolishly as usual, he declined it which could have brought us a nice rookie with potential and talent.

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 09:30 PM

So? All you fools act like 36 is old...he can still be productive. He'll probably be traded by then anyway :elephant

Bob Lanier
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Bryan Colangelo, Mark Cuban, and Chris Wallace agree to 3-way?

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM

In 4 years the whole team will be in the crapper, so it won't matter that Marion is 36 and playing for a 20 win Mavs team that's tanking for a lottery pick.

This is a win now move, so if extra years will make Marion happy, fine by me. There's only a 2-3 year window where Dirk will still be a high-caliber player anyways. Load up for the next couple years and screw the future.

Shank
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Shit. If he's 36, then he'll be ripe enough to play for the Spurs.

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
According to Marc Stein's twitter, he's talking like it's a done deal. So is a few other places.

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
:lobt:

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/08/marion.raptors/

Aldridge: Shawn Marion headed to Dallas Mavericks

Texas Chili Dog
07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
:lobt:

Ditty
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM

were actually probably younger and way better than yall now :lol:toast

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Ub14_iNzt9w

monosylab1k
07-08-2009, 10:36 PM

Shank
07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Antoine Wright and Dickbreath gone, too.

BYE BYE DICKBREATH! ENJOY CANADA, YOU JACKED-UP NOSE MOTHERFUCKER!

Shank
07-08-2009, 10:38 PM
The best part about Kris Humphries?

He's from Chaska. A noted location from the movie "Fargo". Doesn't get more badass than that.

Go Bears.

Findog
07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Getting Marion is cake. Getting rid of DickBreath and Wright is icing on that cake.

Spursfan092120
lol..actually, both of our team's average age is exactly the same now...27.5...Spurs have gotten a lot younger...and that average includes 36 year old Finley still on the team...stop living in the past...

sribb43
Antoine Wright and Dickbreath gone, too.

BYE BYE DICKBREATH! ENJOY CANADA, YOU JACKED-UP NOSE MOTHERFUCKER!

:downspin:

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Here is an update on Marion.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

TRADES: Four teams now in Marion deal?

Shawn Marion | Raptors

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported late Wednesday afternoon that the Dallas Mavericks and Toronto Raptors had successfully enlisted the Memphis Grizzlies to help facilitate a trade of F Shawn Marion from Toronto to Dallas, but Stein later tweeted that a fourth mystery team could become involved before all was said and done.

Findog
07-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Do we have any interest in Stack boomeranging back to Dallas for the vet minimum? He understands the biz and liked it here, bought into the Mavs culture. Shank?

Shank
07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I think if he could play, then they'd consider him. But he's too busted up and they can find better and younger at the same price. Pass.

Findog
07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I think if he could play, then they'd consider him. But he's too busted up and they can find better and younger at the same price. Pass.

Just curious. Mark Stein on his twitter thinks he'll be a good pickup for somebody.

LakerHater
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/070909dnspomavslede.206ba4a0.html

Texas Chili Dog
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
hey, who all is going to the Mavs parade next June?

;)

bostonguy
07-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I dont understand why the Mavs want to keep Josh Howard. The only logical explanation is that there isnt anyone better out there to get to replace Howard. The Mavs still need a legit #2 scorer to take that next step. Marion/Howard/Jet are all nice 3-4th option type of guys. If Howard is your true number 2 guy, that doesnt bold well especially in the 4th where his ppg dramatically go down. I am not hating on the Mavs. I just feel they still need that true #2 guy.

Findog
07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I dont understand why the Mavs want to keep Josh Howard. The only logical explanation is that there isnt anyone better out there to get to replace Howard. The Mavs still need a legit #2 scorer to take that next step. Marion/Howard/Jet are all nice 3-4th option type of guys. If Howard is your true number 2 guy, that doesnt bold well especially in the 4th where his ppg dramatically go down. I am not hating on the Mavs. I just feel they still need that true #2 guy.

The Mavs were deficient at the 2 and 5 last year. Well Gortat addresses the 5, Marion is our new 3 and Josh is our new 2.

mattb_25
07-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Umm who gives a damn if Howard isn't a true 2. He's played it before and did fine.. Do you guys not remember who our 2 was last year? Fuckin' Wright, I mean if he can start the 2 for us and we can still get 50 wins, just imagine J-ho as our 2 and Marion as our 3. Not only that, but Gortat (hopefully gets signed) looks like he could be a great player.

So really it's no question that we have gotten better. All we gave up really was Stack who didn't do anything for us last year. Nice offseason!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Findog
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
I mean, I wouldn't mind flipping Howard for a guy like Rip Hamilton, but I doubt he's available even w/ the Gordon signing, and who knows if that even works under the CBA. Howard at the 2 is fine.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
You don't want Rip's contract.....he would be an upgrade over J-Ho but the financial burden is too much.

Is DickBreath actually something everyone in Dallas calls George?

Trainwreck2100
07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
You don't want Rip's contract.....he would be an upgrade over J-Ho but the financial burden is too much.

Is DickBreath actually something everyone in Dallas calls George?

The George story is funny he fucked over his team and then they resigned him

Findog
07-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey that just reminded me: Dickbreath is a part of this trade. How do we know he's not gonna whip out some righteous Bird Rights-fu on everyone's asses and put a stop to this madness?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
The George story is funny he fucked over his team and then they resigned him

yeah I know that I just wanted to know if the DickBreath thing was city wide or if it was just a nickname on ST.

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Hey that just reminded me: Dickbreath is a part of this trade. How do we know he's not gonna whip out some righteous Bird Rights-fu on everyone's asses and put a stop to this madness?

They're trying to get it all done in the middle of the night in the hopes that he won't find out until he's on a plane to Toronto in the morning.

I think he's a Terminator programmed to cockblock any big Mavs trade.

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 12:11 AM
http://twitter.com/chrisbosh

Apparently Chris Bosh isn't a big Shawn Marion fan. He doesn't mention him once and even refers to it as the "Kris Humphries trade"

lurker
07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Stackhouse, Devean and Wrong all gone? Praise Allah!

Findog
07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
http://twitter.com/chrisbosh

Apparently Chris Bosh isn't a big Shawn Marion fan. He doesn't mention him once and even refers to it as the "Kris Humphries trade"

He didn't come out for our pickup game either. Pussy.

Findog
07-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Good luck to Kris Humphries in Dallas, great guy sad to see him go, but welcoming A. Wright and D. George...

Where's the Matrix?

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 12:38 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/540/mariona.jpg

Leetonidas
07-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Nice job getting one of the Spurs' certified bitches in the playoffs. :lmao

Amarelooms
07-09-2009, 12:53 AM

Spurs are the Mav's cheap whores....Marion gonna get a chance to gang-bang em now :elephant

Ditty
07-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Spurs are the Mav's cheap whores....Marion gonna get a chance to gang-bang em now :elephant

lol is that the only thing you can say about the spurs last time i checked the mavs were the spurs bitches with all time record against each other, and its been 2-2 in the playoffs between these two :lol

as much as i see the mavs being better than last year(due only to the fact that houston wont be strong), i can see the mavs having a 4th seed season and be guarnteed to make the playoffs and not be a borderline team this year

mavs look good but not as good as LA and SA

bdictjames
07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Spurs and Mavs is gonna be a great one again, regardless of high and mighty the team's fans think they are.

bdictjames
07-09-2009, 01:10 AM
The Toronto Raptors and Dallas Mavericks agreed in principle Wednesday night to a complicated four-team sign-and-trade deal including the Memphis Grizzlies and Orlando Magic that will land Shawn Marion in Dallas and Hedo Turkoglu in Toronto, sources close to the process told ESPN.com.

The teams have scheduled a trade call for Thursday.

NBA Rumor Central
ESPN Insider has the updated buzz from the National Basketball Association rumor mill.
Story

The Raptors and Magic agreed to handle Turkoglu as a sign-and-trade for two reasons. First it allowed the Magic to acquire a significant $8 million plus trade exception. Second, it allowed the Raptors to retain their mid-level exception. The Raptors are now free to spend their full mid-level on another free agent.

Several other players including the Raptors' Kris Humphries and Quincy Douby, the Mavericks' Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George and Antoine Wright and the Grizzlies' Greg Buckner are part of the trade according to sources. The Grizzlies will be getting Stackhouse, Douby and cash, sources said. George and Wright will end up in Toronto, according to the same sources. Humphries and Buckner are on their way to Dallas.

Including Humphries, Wright and George in the deal gave the Raptors the financial incentive to do the sign-and-trade. Both George and Wright are in the last year of their contracts. Humphries has two years left on his current deal. In addition, the Raptors are in need of a two guard with the departure of Anthony Parker to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Adding Wright to the mix gives them a credible starter until rookie DeMar DeRozan is ready to contribute.

Dallas is hoping that the combination of Marion and Orlando restricted free agent Marcin Gortat -- along with the re-signing of Jason Kidd -- would greatly improve the depth and flexibility possessed by a team that won 50 games last season and advanced to the second round of the playoffs before losing to Denver.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban has said for months that he was prepared to be as aggressive as possible this summer as opposed to waiting for the free-agent bonanza of 2010, when Dallas was initially expected to have substantial cap space. Orlando retains the right to match any offer sheet to Gortat but the Magic are widely expected not to match.

Sources say that the Mavericks, meanwhile, are determined to keep Josh Howard even if a trade for Marion can be worked out, with Howard entering the final year of his contract. One potential drawback for Dallas is the fact that Marion would be yet another key member of their core over the age of 30, joining Nowitzki (31), Kidd (36), Jason Terry (31) and Howard (who turns 30 next April).

Sources say the Mavericks' plan is to play Marion at the three and move Howard to the two. The Mavs will also sport other looks with Howard at the three, Marion at the four and Nowitzki at the five.

Marion earned $17.8 million last season and was traded for the second straight February when Miami sent him to Toronto in a swap for Jermaine O'Neal. He went from Phoenix to Miami one year earlier in the Shaquille O'Neal trade.

The Raptors were intent on re-signing Marion if they couldn't win the Turkoglu sweepstakes, seeing late-season signs of promise in Marion's collaboration alongside Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani. Sources say that the Cavaliers, despite their recent pursuits of Trevor Ariza and Ron Artest and a well-chronicled need for a combo forward, were not making a hard push for Marion.

Rogue
07-09-2009, 01:11 AM
lol is that the only thing you can say about the spurs last time i checked the mavs were the spurs bitches with all time record against each other, and its been 2-2 in the playoffs between these two :lol

as much as i see the mavs being better than last year(due only to the fact that houston wont be strong), i can see the mavs having a 4th seed season and be guarnteed to make the playoffs and not be a borderline team this year

it's ridiculous to entitle the Spurs in the same line with the Lakers. Even though the acquirement of Jefferson will definitely bring this team so much athleticism which is the most needed to the old Spurs, it's still pretty clear that the Lakers are superior to the Spurs. With Tony Longoria playing as the starting and only real PG, the Spurs don't have any guy like Kidd that can feed Jefferson the ball for scoring. Probably Jefferson will get traded in the middle of next season for a couple role players that can strength the old bench of Spurs team.

Dirkadirkastan
07-09-2009, 01:24 AM
bdictjames' avatar:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=5715&dateline=1182350430

eerily similar video (though the passer is using his right hand and the finisher his left):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_98oCDaxII

bdictjames
07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
bdictjames' avatar:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=5715&dateline=1182350430

eerily similar video (though the passer is using his right hand and the finisher his left):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_98oCDaxII

Watching Kidd and Marion vids already?

sribb43
07-09-2009, 07:40 AM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Windmill360/Misc/shawnmarionmavcourt.jpg

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 07:41 AM

It would hurt if the Spurs weren't the Mavs certified bitches in the playoffs.

pauls931
07-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Who did SA pick up this year and give up for it? I wouldn't be bragging unless a significant part was picked up and I wouldn't be surprised if Marion is the one that gets to guard ginobili.

I hate this trade, especially since it's a player I still like.

sribb43
07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I love that Marion can guard SG/SF/PF. The addition of Marion and Gortat make this team so much more versitle and atheltic something the mavs teams in many years having been. All the Mavs need to do is re-sign Bass and possibly go after a 2/3 like Marquis Daniels with the LLE

I'd be happy if the Mavs lineup ended up something similar to this:

Kidd/Barea/Beaubios
J-Ho/JET/Ross
Marion/Daniels?/Humphries
Dirk/Bass/Singleton
Gortat/Damp/Hollins

pauls931
07-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Come on kerr, lets do Amare for Damp and Bass, you know you want too.

JustBlaze
07-09-2009, 01:13 PM

I lol'd.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Who did SA pick up this year and give up for it? I wouldn't be bragging unless a significant part was picked up and I wouldn't be surprised if Marion is the one that gets to guard ginobili.

I hate this trade, especially since it's a player I still like.

PLEASE! :hungry:

ugU5cXWVZjo

dallaskd
07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I love that Marion can guard SG/SF/PF. The addition of Marion and Gortat make this team so much more versitle and atheltic something the mavs teams in many years having been. All the Mavs need to do is re-sign Bass and possibly go after a 2/3 like Marquis Daniels with the LLE

I'd be happy if the Mavs lineup ended up something similar to this:

Kidd/Barea/Beaubios
J-Ho/JET/Ross
Marion/Daniels?/Humphries
Dirk/Bass/Singleton
Gortat/Damp/Hollins

Shawne Williams and Matt Carroll are still under contract.

Findog
07-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Mavs have a bloated roster, so I would actually expect more moves to be made. Not necessarily an upgrade like Marion or Gortat, but just to get us down to a 15-man roster.

sribb43
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Shawne Williams and Matt Carroll are still under contract.

i forgot about them and I wish they would just go away