PDA

View Full Version : (Hoopsworld Top Shelf Journalism) : McDycess agreed to join Spurs

franceout
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
The Rich Get Richer: Former Piston forward Antonio McDyess has agreed to join the San Antonio Spurs. Word is he'll sign a three-year deal with two years fully guaranteed and a third non-guaranteed year. McDyess coming off the market also changes the path of Brandon Bass. Rumor has it that New Orleans and Orlando are the strongest suitors for Bass, however sources close to Brandon's camp say with McDyess leaving Detroit, the Pistons - who have a little bit of change left under the salary cap after deals with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva - will pursue Bass.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13221

Muser
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah I posted that about ten minutes ago in the appropriate thread.

Texas_Ranger
07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
:lol

celldweller
:rollinPlease read other POSTS before Posting!!!

DBMethos
Fail

Summers
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
And someone else posted it earlier and got admonished for citing Hoopsworld as a legit source.

benefactor
Hasn't someone mentioned something about a hundred post limit?

franceout
sorry, idid not see it a couple of mins ago. Please remove the thread, thx

easy7
:lol:rollin:lmao:nope

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
And someone else posted it earlier and got admonished for citing Hoopsworld as a legit source.

Which is why he didn't start a new thread. He didn't think he needed to tell folks around here to take it with a grain of salt. :lol

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
After reading the headline, maybe the Spurs signed a guy named McDycess.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.concretefield.com/images/pw-shockey.gif

Spursmania
07-08-2009, 10:10 AM

:lmao:lmao

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Stop with the hoopsworld BS

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
That Shockey gif never gets old.

completely deck
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh dear.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Hoopsworld never fails to get people's hopes up..

tp2021
07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Hoopsworld never fails to get people's hopes up..

They always fail to put factual articles up

ElNono
07-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Where's Epic Fail when you need him?

Go For Tree
07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Hasn't someone mentioned something about a hundred post limit?

you want to re-word this one genius? before being an ass to someone for nothing???

:wgaf:

tp2021
07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Who is Yogi?

polandprzem
07-08-2009, 10:36 AM
There should be an authomatic merger on this board

benefactor
07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
you want to re-word this one genius? before being an ass to someone for nothing???

I'm not being an ass...its something that happens all the damn time. Some noob reads and article and comes in here and posts it without even taking the time to see if it was already posted or if there is already a thread about the situation. It clutters up the forum with tons of threads about the same thing and wastes the time of those who run this place. It's also a pain in the ass when we lose and a bunch of fans come on here in a suicidal state and post cliff jumping threads.

This is a community. Be a productive part of it or GTFO.

Summers
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Simmer down.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
IBTL quick fellas

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
That was me who posted the Hoopsworld article earlier. Never again lesson learned. That being said I am still very confident Mcdyess will be a spur eventually.

Flux451
07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not being an ass...its something that happens all the damn time. Some noob reads and article and comes in here and posts it without even taking the time to see if it was already posted or if there is already a thread about the situation. It clutters up the forum with tons of threads about the same thing and wastes the time of those who run this place. It's also a pain in the ass when we lose and a bunch of fans come on here in a suicidal state and post cliff jumping threads.

Superfly jimmy Snoocka right to the breadbasket!

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Elvis sighting !

:ttiwwp:

tp2021
07-08-2009, 11:01 AM
That was me who posted the Hoopsworld article earlier. Never again lesson learned. That being said I am still very confident Mcdyess will be a spur eventually.

:lol ST lets you have it if it is displeased with your offering!

Extra Stout
07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
The HoopsWorld rumor unfortunately is wrong.

Here's what really happened:

Last night, Pop and R.C. were working late getting ready for the free agent period officially to begin. R.C. sent an intern out to go get him some food. The intern went to McDonalds and got them each a Big Mac.

The HoopsWorld writer then read something on the intern's Twitter about "Mickey D" and "Big Mac" and "Spurs" and just figured...

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Dumbass newbies who don't follow the rules of common sense and start threads with useless rehashed and unconfirmed information deserve to get ridiculed, as do dumbass newbies who step in to defend the original dumbass newbies.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM

You mean, O V isn't being paid for this ?

We need to pony up and pay the man for doing what is necessary - educating a newb !

:hat

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Dumbass newbies who don't follow the rules of common sense and start threads with useless rehashed and unconfirmed information deserve to get ridiculed, as do dumbass newbies who step in to defend the original dumbass newbies.

Your right, I got what I deserved. I think everyone is getting off point here though. We should move on and discuss what the spurs are doing here. It has been a great offseason.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Last night, Pop and R.C. were working late getting ready for the free agent period officially to begin. R.C. sent an intern out to go get him some food. The intern went to McDonalds and got them each a Big Mac.

The HoopsWorld "writer" (read novelist) then read something on the intern's Twitter about "Mickey D" and "Big Mac" and "Spurs" and just figured...

That explains it. Thanks.

:lmao

fleggy2k2
07-08-2009, 11:12 AM

i'm not much of a football fan (more of a soccer fan. i know, i know, it's a sin in america), so can someone explain this to me? it has striked my curiosity for some reason

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:21 AM
posted By graham san antonio, 8 July 2009 8:32:57 AM
not to question your sources, but is the mcdyss thing for sure?

posted By Bill Ingram, 8 July 2009 9:58:00 AM
The Spurs have an agreement with McDyess . . .it's all over the internet. I think Marc Stein broke it last night.

posted By A Fan?, 8 July 2009 11:16:02 AM
Bill Ingram - just searched ESPN and multiple other sites, and it appears that you are the only one saying the Spurs have signed McDyss...every other site states they are making a push for him. What's that, like strike 7.

Steve Kyler is an active member of the Professional Basketball Writer's Association, and has covered the NBA for the past ten seasons. Steve serves as the Editor and Publisher of HOOPSWORLD.

Comments (12 posted) Post your comment
Please be respectful of the writers in your comments or they will be
removed

:lmao:lmao:lmao

:rolleyes

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/yaoi_myantidrug/smilies/Demotivator__Epic_Fail.jpg

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Your right, I got what I deserved. I think everyone is getting off point here though. We should move on and discuss what the spurs are doing here. It has been a great offseason.

Unless I'm mistaken, we aren't talking about you, unless you're the OP in this thread. I'm certainly not referring to anything you've done. I posted the Hoopsworld article in the Mcdyess thread, and was who some of the people were referring to. You made a mistake and got some good-natured ribbing for it.

lefty
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Hoopsworld is much better than Hoopsland

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
posted By Bill Ingram, 8 July 2009 9:58:00 AM
The Spurs have an agreement with McDyess . . .it's all over the internet. I think Marc Stein broke it last night.

They must have that portion of the web firewalled from my ISP.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
They must have that portion of the web firewalled from my ISP.

That's what I figured must have happened to me.

Soon, maybe it will be though - all originally quoting from their failed effort at creative writing (if the other outlets are naive enough to quote from Hoopsworld) !

Go For Tree
07-08-2009, 11:27 AM

pay attention bub. the fact is he was being an ass for something that will never change. the real point was that he used "100 post limit" HELLO? did you not catch that? if you want a 100 post LIMIT then both of you would have worn out your welcome. BENE was right when he said its a COMMUNITY. Let people communicate however they want. If a mod wants to merge a thread then fine, let it happen. Just stop calling out people to make you feel high and mighty. ITs just a forum. Nothing serious.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Actually, they don't care if their information is bullshit, so long as people keep clicking the links.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
pay attention bub. the fact is he was being an ass for something that will never change. the real point was that he used "100 post limit" HELLO? did you not catch that? if you want a 100 post LIMIT then both of you would have worn out your welcome. BENE was right when he said its a COMMUNITY. Let people communicate however they want. If a mod wants to merge a thread then fine, let it happen. Just stop calling out people to make you feel high and mighty. ITs just a forum. Nothing serious.

Wow. He doesn't think that Benefactor and Obstructed View can count or he thinks that they are both innumerate !

Before you start insulting them, you might want to establish some credibility here and be able to understand snark when you see it .

:nope

tp2021
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Bub?

stxspurs
07-08-2009, 11:31 AM

The HoopsWorld writer then read something on the intern's Twitter about "Mickey D" and "Big Mac" and "Spurs" and just figured...

wow...FAIL

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM

You're just a dumbass. Nothing serious. Someone was making a joke about the 100 post minimum before wading in and starting a thread, particularly one with inaccurate information that's a repost anyway. The mods shouldn't have to constantly be in here with a fucking scooper cleaning up whatever some dipshit decides to step in here and start throwing around. Part of being a community means understanding how things work and showing some respect for it. People who start a thousand useless threads are either not part of that community or are Sequ after a three or four Zimas.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Everyone is now the forum police thats cute. If you look at the front of the board then its pretty apparent that there is no thread indicating that McDyess had signed with the Spurs. Him posting this article says nothing about his diligence before posting. People need to get off their high horses.

Granted the site being referenced is not reliable but this notion that you should expect a post about a signing to be buried 5 pages deep in a thread about the pursuit of a FA is asinine.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Everyone is now the forum police thats cute. If you look at the front of the board then its pretty apparent that there is no thread indicating that McDyess had signed with the Spurs. Him posting this article says nothing about his diligence before posting. People need to get off their high horses.

Granted the site being referenced is not reliable but this notion that you should expect a post about a signing to be buried 5 pages deep in a thread about the pursuit of a FA is asinine.

People who were actually following the information saw the article when I posted it in the thread. It wasn't five pages deep, it was on the last page, which is where the latest information is.

If people learned how to use a goddamn message board then other people wouldn't have to play forum police all the fucking time. The only thing I like less than having to do that is to have to defend it from idiots like you that wade in, bumping the thread with useless opinions about it.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Everyone is now the forum police thats cute.

???

Everyone is now cute forum police ?

:violin:cop

???

I guess no one is the uncute forum police?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
???

Everyone is now cute forum police ?

:violin:cop

???

Im sorry perhaps a semi colon would help. Everyone is now the forum police; thats cute.

If youre idea of community is jumping all over someones ass for posting what he thought was breaking news, then thats just peachy.

BTW, kori made a post about a week ago that boiled down to people needing to shut the fuck up about what is or is not to be moderated and let the mods do their job. Hows that for community?

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:44 AM
BTW, kori made a post about a week ago that boiled down to people needing to shut the fuck up about what is or is not to be moderated and let the mods do their job. Hows that for community?

Yet here you are trying to do her job for her; that's cute.

Borosai
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
McDyess to the Spurs?!?! YES!!!11

urunobili
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Where's the Epic Fail troll when you need him?

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:46 AM

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/mtllude/pot-kettle.gif

Obstructed_View
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/mtllude/pot-kettle.gif

Precisely my point.

FuzzyLumpkins

Actually no I am not. Im not making any statement about what is or is not an acceptable post. I am just saying that I think you are not being cool and referring you to what she did say.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Precisely my point.

I know. I tried to illustrate your point.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Just making sure. I didn't know if you thought I was the pot or the kettle in that scenario. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Then you failed despite how much you two pat each other on the back. When I act as if I am in some position of authority based on 'community' then get back to me. I told you what she said. That not me telling you what to do even if you don't know the difference.

Go For Tree
07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
You're just a dumbass. Nothing serious. Someone was making a joke about the 100 post minimum before wading in and starting a thread, particularly one with inaccurate information that's a repost anyway. The mods shouldn't have to constantly be in here with a fucking scooper cleaning up whatever some dipshit decides to step in here and start throwing around. Part of being a community means understanding how things work and showing some respect for it. People who start a thousand useless threads are either not part of that community or are Sequ after a three or four Zimas.

ok whatever keep crying about it then.... whatever helps you get to 20k posts first..... only point im making is that youre not going to change it so why waste more of your time that seems to be too valuable to read the occasional repost???

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Then you failed despite how much you two pat each other on the back. When I act as if I am in some position of authority based on 'community' then get back to me. I told you what she said. That not me telling you what to do even if you don't know the difference.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
ok whatever keep crying about it then.... whatever helps you get to 20k posts first..... only point im making is that youre not going to change it so why waste more of your time that seems to be too valuable to read the occasional repost???

If someone pops in just to start a thread and leaves, then nothing can be done. If someone pops in here to start a thread and stays, then telling them to check the appropriate threads before starting a new thread is perfectly appropriate because they'll probably take their lumps and then do the right thing the next time. In the meantime, don't blame those of us who value this forum for defending it from people who clearly don't.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM

I agree. No one but Kori/Timvp pay for this, so no one but them should be bothered even the slightest bit by repostings, especially during this period of time when a topic can be 30 pages long. They will merge and delete as necessary, the rest of us shouldn't give a fuck.

One tip to new posters though, is to read the last few pages of even the longest topics to avoid a faux pas.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Yeah I figured you couldn't figure the difference.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Maybe there should be a 100 post limit for some posters.

What I read is that a newbie came in, started a brand new thread which said that McDyess was coming to the Spurs based upon Hoopsworld link even though Hoopsworld's trustworthiness is for shizzle and there already was a thread about McDyess.

Hoopsworld has zero credibility so they definitely don't merit a new thread. It screws up the whole board when you have 10 different threads about the same thing, half of them being rumor or creative writing.

The original poster needed to take his lumps. They were coming.

And it would be pretty much over, but you keep trying to defend the op and the original post. Wailing like you are at the wailing wall !

There is such a thing as cause and effect. It's how people learn.
Move on and grow up.

Damn.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
If someone pops in just to start a thread and leaves, then nothing can be done. If someone pops in here to start a thread and stays, then telling them to check the appropriate threads before starting a new thread is perfectly appropriate because they'll probably take their lumps and then do the right thing the next time. In the meantime, don't blame those of us who value this forum for defending it from people who clearly don't.

Clearly don't value? defending? Youre pure awesomesauce you paragon of forum virtue.

Here's a question: if it was FSSW reporting it then it would merit its own thread right? See in the world I come from when a FA goes from being pursued to having agreed to terms, it gets its own thread. But hey if we don't read the three either Dice threads and ask you if its okay then we don't care about the forum.

that does deserve a :rolleyes.

Spursmania
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/majickturtle/fail75rc3.jpg

This thread fails... I need to post an epic failure pic, so hold on.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah I figured you couldn't figure the difference.

You are trying to advocate for certain ethics / rules within this forum.
That's pretty obvious.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Clearly don't value? defending? Youre pure awesomesauce you paragon of forum virtue.

Here's a question: if it was FSSW reporting it then it would merit its own thread right? See in the world I come from when a FA goes from being pursued to having agreed to terms, it gets its own thread. But hey if we don't read the three either Dice threads and ask you if its okay then we don't care about the forum.

It was Hoopsworld. There is no other source.
They're known to be completely unreliable.

So, this is contrary to what actually occurred.

And we're trying to prevent extra / stupid McDyess threads that aren't necessary.

This isn't rocket science here.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
You are trying to advocate for certain ethics / rules within this forum.
That's pretty obvious.

Still not telling the difference. Theres a difference between an individual preferring a particular attitude and an individual acting as if you have any authority to say what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.

cheguevara
07-08-2009, 12:15 PM
hoppsworld blows.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Still not telling the difference. Theres a difference between an individual preferring a particular attitude and an individual acting as if you have any authority to say what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.

Who would believe you if you said that you did have authority to judge behavior for the forum ? What consequences would you impose ?

This was a stupid thread to start. And we explained why it was a stupid thread to start so that this wouldn't happen again.

That doesn't imply that we think we are the owners or will issue some disciplinary sanction against the original poster.

There are mores everywhere. And normal members of a community express them.

voila.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/majickturtle/fail75rc3.jpg

This thread fails... I need to post an epic failure pic, so hold on.

Where in the rules/FAQ thread does it say you can only have one thread about a marquee FA every spursfan is interested in? Who's to say the owners don't mind many threads right now, until he signs with someone? Nowhere. In fact, Kori goes out of her way to specify there really aren't any set rules.

In case you forgot, a portion of our championship hopes are riding on a quality big like McDyess signing here. God forbid Spurfan be interested in a few threads on the subject matter, instead of a voluminous 30 pager with a thousand replies to read through to find any information.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
hopesworld blows.

fify

:hat

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 12:20 PM
It was Hoopsworld. There is no other source.
They're known to be completely unreliable.

So, this is contrary to what actually occurred.

And we're trying to prevent extra / stupid McDyess threads that aren't necessary.

This isn't rocket science here.

No whats not rocket science is making up bullshit about 'community' to try and justify being a jerk to people.

I know that hoopsworld/hype or whatever trash they want to call themselves is not a credible news outlet. I could go on about sports journalists and their accuracy as a whole but I digress. I wouldn't cry a tear if its gone but this entire thing about giving people their lumps, board defense, caring and 'community' is straight bullshit.

benefactor
Your strawman is pretty flimsy here.

Mavs<Spurs
Where in the rules/FAQ thread does it say you can only have one thread about a marquee FA every spursfan is interested in? Who's to say the owners don't mind many threads right now, until he signs with someone? Nowhere. In fact, Kori goes out of her way to specify there really aren't any set rules.

In case you forgot, a portion of our championship hopes are riding on a quality big like McDyess signing here. God forbid Spurfan be interested in a few threads on the subject matter, instead of a voluminous 30 pager with a thousand replies to read through to find any information.

zosa, had it been a reliable source of information, you would probably not have many complaints. It wasn't. So, this was an egregious example. Hence, the reaction.

And Kori and timvp do merge threads regularly.

Let's keep in mind this particular example - citing Hoopsworld.

This would be on the far side of the spectrum- an obvious bad call.
Others might be closer. This wasn't close.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
And now this is turning into a meta thread.

But since Hoopsworld is so unreliable, it might as well be used for something.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 12:28 PM
zosa, had it been a reliable source of information, you would probably not have many complaints. It wasn't. So, this was an egregious example. Hence, the reaction.

And Kori and timvp do merge threads regularly.

Let's keep in mind this particular example - citing Hoopsworld.

This would be on the far side of the spectrum- an obvious bad call.
Others might be closer. This wasn't close.

Agreed. Just leave the bullshit to the mods...

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Who in the Hell is McDycess ?

Is this a new free agent that we are also going after in addition to Antonio ?

:bang

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Fine. It's over.

peace.

:wakeup

da_suns_fan
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Im glad that Spurs fans seem to acknowledge the hoopsworld is total garbage.

Laker fans (check out how they worship Eric "Emplay" Picnus over at Lakersground.net) and Suns fans have yet to figure this out and drives me crazy.

Hoopsworld is total amateur hour.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM

I know it's hard to miss, it's a sticky at the top of the forum:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93855

4. Deleting/Locking/Merging - Sometimes threads get deleted if it's blatant trolling. But most of the time a thread gets deleted is when it's repetitious. If you think your thread got deleted, it might have just got merged. So look around. When I lock a thread, I usually leave an explanation why - so if you have further questions, you can PM. Again, starting another thread to ask why your thread get locked isn't the best method. Just PM me.

We all know we need a quality big.

That doesn't mean there should be 500 threads on it, including posting trash from Hoopsworld.

Spursmania
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM

So, you do agree that this thread fails due to the source? Which was my point. What was yours? You seem to be calling out my failure pic. Or was I mistaken?:toast

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Im glad that Spurs fans seem to acknowledge the hoopsworld is total garbage.

Laker fans (check out how they worship Eric "Emplay" Picnus over at Lakersground.net) and Suns fans have yet to figure this out and drives me crazy.

Hoopsworld is total amateur hour.

Our first clue not to read this thread was in the title.
If the op can't figure out how to spell the name of the player,
he/she may prove to be an unreliable source of information or
quoting from an unreliable source.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM

People who were actually following the information saw the article when I posted it in the thread. It wasn't five pages deep, it was on the last page, which is where the latest information is.

If people learned how to use a goddamn message board then other people wouldn't have to play forum police all the fucking time. The only thing I like less than having to do that is to have to defend it from idiots like you that wade in, bumping the thread with useless opinions about it.

Your strawman is pretty flimsy here.

You were saying?

z0sa
07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I know it's hard to miss, it's a sticky at the top of the forum:

more forum police. Not only that, you misconstrue their intentions about topic starting. They realize many repetitious topics are posted, not that the topics themselves aren't necessary. Many times, new information is merged into the larger threads. Not every time.

And like I said, why should you care as long as you don't do whatever they did? There is no such thing as "taking your lumps" on a sports team message board. That shits for kids who don't partake in real discussion anyway.

IronheadSpur
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Part of being a community means understanding how things work and showing some respect for it.

You mean like being polite to newcomers?

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
You were saying?

Your post doesn't seem to communicate your intended meaning very well, whatever it may be.

Bertrand Russell's paradox on Set Theory was interesting.I studied it in undergraduate school.

"All Knowledge is built upon instinctive belief, failing that there is nothing left." -Bertrand Russell

To be logically consistent, Bertrand Russell must also believe that "The knowledge that there is no knowledge outside of instinctive belief is also built upon instinctive belief." Otherwise, he engages in self-contradiction. Now, if he finds instinctive belief unreliable, then the knowledge spoken above must be found unreliable by him. If he is less than certain about it (instinctive belief as a source of knowledge) , then he is less than certain about the truthfulness of his statement. If he is certain about it, then he may avoid some self-contradictions in the statement.

Ignignokt
07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Did i miss something, is there a job opening for mods, becuase a lot of a holes are acting like it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
more forum police. Not only that, you misconstrue their intentions about topic starting. They realize many repetitious topics are posted, not that the topics themselves aren't necessary. Many times, new information is merged into the larger threads. Not every time.

And like I said, why should you care as long as you don't do whatever they did? There is no such thing as "taking your lumps" on a sports team message board. That shits for kids who don't partake in real discussion anyway.

It's not called forum police. There's a 36 page thread on Dice and someone feels the need to open up a new one that is a link to a site that copies news from other sources (and that info was already in the 36 pager).

I care because I come to get news and stay up to date on things, not sort through 30 pages of crap threads.

Look, this may be your first off-season here or something... there is a reason there is a discussion thread for each FA/target. That's where the discussion takes place, and then if the player signs a new thread gets opened up on the forum.

If you're going to piss and moan about the regulars trying to reign in some of the stupidity and redundant threads, maybe this isn't the place for you...

BlackBellamy
07-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Your post doesn't seem to communicate your intended meaning very well, whatever it may be.

Bertrand Russell's paradox on Set Theory was interesting.I studied it in undergraduate school.

"All Knowledge is built upon instinctive belief, failing that there is nothing left." -Bertrand Russell

To be logically consistent, Bertrand Russell must also believe that "The knowledge that there is no knowledge outside of instinctive belief is also built upon instinctive belief." Otherwise, he engages in self-contradiction. Now, if he finds instinctive belief unreliable, then the knowledge spoken above must be found unreliable by him. If he is less than certain about it (instinctive belief as a source of knowledge) , then he is less than certain about the truthfulness of his statement. If he is certain about it, then he may avoid some self-contradictions in the statement.

Great mind, I loved reading "Why I am Not A Christian" and "A History of Western Philosophy". He makes it all very easy to relate to yourself.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
And now the Sporting News claims that McDyess has signed a deal with the Spurs, but they cite HoopsWorld.

No one wants to be last on these things.

And the Sporting News might be cited by Sports Illustrated.

And the only people who wouldn't know would be the Spurs, Antonio McDyess, and the real sports journalists.

Thanks for that link. That was depressing.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Great mind, I loved reading "Why I am Not A Christian" and "A History of Western Philosophy". He makes it all very easy to relate to yourself.

He was a great scholar and a mathematician (my field).

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Youve been failing to grasp a lot. Its pretty obvious that youre wanting to be intentionally obtuse.

As for the latter. You can infinitley regress all day long but at the end of the day I fail to see how saying that applying a negative to the statement attributes doubt. Youre inferring something that isn't there although he does agree with Hume's views on knowledge and causality when push comes to shove.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:00 PM
If you're going to piss and moan about the regulars trying to reign in some of the stupidity and redundant threads, maybe this isn't the place for you...

The regulars? My first off-season? I've been registered on this forum over four years, and lurked for several months before. Just because my post count isn't nearly as high as yours doesn't mean I'm any less one of the 'regulars' than yourself, dumbass.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM

If it were a legitimate news source I would have started a new thread when I posted THE EXACT SAME ARTICLE FIVE MINUTES EARLIER. In the world you come from, logic and common sense don't matter.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
You mean like being polite to newcomers?

And making fun of the stupid ones, yeah. That's our right.

PS Hi, Mouse.

BlackBellamy
07-08-2009, 01:04 PM
He was a great scholar and a mathematician (my field).

I saw a Noam Chomsky lecture at MIT and he quoted Russell quite a bit (not to mention Kant, Hegel, Trotsky, Sitting Bull, ect...). I ended up just randomly, outside of school, picking up his Western Philosophy book and found it comprehensive and without obvious bias. I am not a philosophy or math major, but he had a way of getting the point across in mostly plain English, which I certainly appreciated.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
If it were a legitimate news source I would have started a new thread when I posted THE EXACT SAME ARTICLE FIVE MINUTES EARLIER. In the world you come from, logic and common sense don't matter.l

Blah blah blah. Go back to your 'defending,' blowhard. Sorry I don't buy the 'logic' that you get to decide what can and cannot be posted. The guy thought it was a scoop and posted it. If you feel like thats license to be an asshole then more power to you.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
"The guy thought it was a scoop and posted it. If you feel like thats license to be an asshole then more power to you."

Very well said. Instead of endlessly berating him, even "fail" pictures multiple pages in, we should point him to the FAQ or be on our way not giving a shit.

The forum will still be a-okay with a few worthless threads floating around.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Youve been failing to grasp a lot. Its pretty obvious that youre wanting to be intentionally obtuse.

As for the latter. You can infinitley regress all day long but at the end of the day I fail to see how saying that applying a negative to the statement attributes doubt. You're inferring something that isn't there although he does agree with Hume's views on knowledge and causality when push comes to shove.

It's not infinite regression. It's required by logic. In mathematics, we often use proof by contradiction. Bertrand Russell certainly accepted that two mutually exclusive propostions (a thesis and its antithesis) could not both be true. So, the statements I made are ones that are logically true.

The denial of the existence of causal relationships is problematic.
The epistemology of causality is something else.

Logic applies in the area of epistemology as it does elsewhere.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Blah blah blah. Go back to your 'defending,' blowhard. Sorry I don't buy the 'logic' that you get to decide what can and cannot be posted. The guy thought it was a scoop and posted it. If you feel like thats license to be an asshole then more power to you.

I don't decide anything, I simply make fun of idiots that don't think before they post. The guy thought it was a scoop because he didn't care enough to even read what was on the board.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't decide anything, I simply make fun of idiots that don't think before they post. The guy thought it was a scoop because he didn't care enough to even read what was on the board.

No, its because he thought that his source was legitimate. I still think that your awesomesauce for your board defender of the community that cares routine. There is no thread on the front page that says the Spurs signed McDyess.

Carry on SpursTalk Cavalier. :downspin:

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 01:13 PM

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/omgitzshalynn/whine.jpg

Read the last couple of pages of a related thread before you post.
And don't start a thread with trash like Hoopsworld.

And don't cry for those who make that mistake.

What a dramaqueen !

:cry:dramaquee

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
No, its because he thought that his source was legitimate. I still think that your awesomesauce for your board defender of the community that cares routine. There is no thread on the front page that says the Spurs signed McDyess.

Um, that's because they didn't. Even after the incorrect news article that the OP reposted.

I don't think I was the first person to bring up "community", I simply used it against the person who brought it up.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd326/omgitzshalynn/whine.jpg

Read the last couple of pages of a related thread before you post.
And don't start a thread with trash like Hoopsworld.

And don't cry for those who make that mistake.

What a dramaqueen !

:cry:dramaquee

so says the guy defending the caring board defender

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah, we care about the board that we post at.

And if you don't, then don't post here.

In case you haven't figured it out, the reason why there isn't (other than this idiotic thread) a thread which says that the Spurs have signed McDyess is because there isn't a reliable source which says so outside of the forum and Hoopsworld (and which doesn't quote Hoopsworld).

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Um, that's because they didn't. Even after the incorrect news article that the OP reposted.

I don't think I was the first person to bring up "community", I simply used it against the person who brought it up.

Remember when you called me an idiot for bumping 'threads like this' to the top of the forum. Think about the irony of that statement. Isn't it delicious?

Keep going though I'm finding this amusing, board defender who cares.

Obstructed_View
so says the guy defending the caring board defender

You should really stop referring to me that way. I'm the guy calling dumbasses dumbasses in a trash thread that's going to keep you occupied while we talk about basketball in the legitimate threads.

Dumbass.

IronheadSpur
And making fun of the stupid ones, yeah. That's our right.

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with doing it. You have the right to act like a complete jerk, but you shouldn't act like a complete jerk, correct?

The premise of your statement is that authorities completely determine how people should behave. Every action is either prohibited or mandated by some regulating authority, and individuals have no responsibility for regulating themselves.

angelbelow
yea that really sucks that hoopsworld is reporting it.

Shastafarian
This thread is so full of suck.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
It's not just a couple of people who think that this was a stupid thread to start and that it's generally better if we have fewer stupid threads rather than more and/or avoid having 20 threads about one free agent - 18 of which are rumors/trash/speculation.

just fyi.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with doing it. You have the right to act like a complete jerk, but you shouldn't act like a complete jerk, correct?

The premise of your statement is that authorities completely determine how people should behave. Every action is either prohibited or mandated by some regulating authority, and individuals have no responsibility for regulating themselves.

No, if that were the premise of my statement then I would be in here defending the moron who started this thread with already-posted and inaccurate information. If someone's going to come in here saying the OP has the right to post whatever he wants, then I'm entitled to the same defense. If they aren't entitled to post whatever they want, I'm still pretty confident that I have the leeway to make fun of them or defend myself.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, we care about the board that we post at.

And if you don't, then don't post here.

In case you haven't figured it out, the reason why there isn't (other than this idiotic thread) a thread which says that the Spurs have signed McDyess is because there isn't a reliable source which says so outside of the forum and Hoopsworld (and which doesn't quote Hoopsworld).

I've read those threads and actually have been reading those and the sheed threads etc for the last several days.

You don't post here, wooooo....... :downspin:

Really if you care about this board then you'd get on spursfan about his bullshit thread but hey its easier to just give new guy shit.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
You should really stop referring to me that way. I'm the guy calling dumbasses dumbasses in a trash thread that's going to keep you occupied while we talk about basketball in the legitimate threads.

Dumbass.

Aww you called me a dumbass. Ive posted about PJ etc. The rest of the discussion is mostly the same rehashed conjecture.

I still think its funny you calling me dumb and all when you keep bumping this thread. But hey youre doing a great job defending, board defender. I am really enjoying your hypocrisy.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I've read those threads and actually have been reading those and the sheed threads etc for the last several days.

You don't post here, wooooo....... :downspin:

Really if you care about this board then you'd get on spursfan about his bullshit thread but hey its easier to just give new guy shit.

You mean MB? All I have to say is: Go get him, tiger.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Aww you called me a dumbass. Ive posted about PJ etc. The rest of the discussion is mostly the same rehashed conjecture.

I still think its funny you calling me dumb and all when you keep bumping this thread. But hey youre doing a great job defending, board defender. I am really enjoying your hypocrisy.

Your record of my hypocrisy is about as strong as the sources on the news story in the OP. Bumping this thread is fine as long as nobody's starting new ones. The mods have done their job by altering the thread title to accurately cite the dubious source. The rest of this is just all of us having fun, mainly at your expense since the OP seems to have disappeared.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
You mean MB? All I have to say is: Go get him, tiger.

I personally don't give a shit and MB used to go by spursfan back in the day. My point is you bitched and moaned about this guy posting for page after page yet you don't say shit about that thread. See new guy is easy pickings and well MB isnt. Coward and jerk. WTG, board defender.

Awaiting you next bump.:downspin:

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM

You're right. People have the right to post stupid, redundant threads in the forum.

But keep in mind:

* the mods have the right to merge/delete them

* other posters also have the right to give the people starting stupid redundant threads hell about it

Spursmania
:corn:

Mavs<Spurs
Originally Posted by IronheadSpur View Post

Now, this seems like a foolish assertion on your part.

Norms are established through similar processes in many different environments.
There is no implication that every action is either prohibited or mandated.
There is an implication that some behaviors are preferred to others.
Why that translates to a universal conclusion, I'll never know and you'll never prove.

And why one can't believe that the authorities here (Kori and timvp) have some actions that they prohibit and others that they prefer don't occur but won't always prevent or impose consequences upon violators is a complete mystery. Based upon the faqs, they - the authorities prefer (and many users prefer) that this type of thread not be started.

And within a hierarchical structure, there is a formal authority often and then there are group norms which are established. These norms aren't rules with consequences, but standards of behavior that members prefer, recommend and encourage.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Your record of my hypocrisy is about as strong as the sources on the news story in the OP. Bumping this thread is fine as long as nobody's starting new ones. The mods have done their job by altering the thread title to accurately cite the dubious source. The rest of this is just all of us having fun, mainly at your expense since the OP seems to have disappeared.

I must say you are pure awesomesauce, board defender. I really like the part where I'm the idiot yet you cannot even keep up with what you say yourself.

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I must say you are pure awesomesauce, board defender. I really like the part where I'm the idiot yet you cannot even keep up with what you say yourself.

now, that makes no sense.

So, the way that you can make sure that redundant and stupid threads don't appear is by not pointing out their uselessness once they have already been started. Once these useless threads have already been started, then don't tell the person who started the stupid thread not to do it again.

???

No.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I personally don't give a shit and MB used to go by spursfan back in the day. My point is you bitched and moaned about this guy posting for page after page yet you don't say shit about that thread. See new guy is easy pickings and well MB isnt. Coward and jerk. WTG, board defender.

Awaiting you next bump.:downspin:

I haven't bitched or moaned about anyone posting for page after page. Go back and read page one. I simply commented that the information was already in the McDyess post. I didn't say anything to anybody until another guy with a couple dozen posts called Benefactor an ass.

In case you haven't noticed, the person I've been going after is you, dipshit, with your superior "forum police" post. I'm not picking on newbies. And I'm bumping the thread because it's fun watching you continue to make an ass out of yourself trying to manufacture facts that don't exist, like the two bolded places above.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

You're wasting your time. obstructed_view refuses to budge on anything. He already made the assertion we're "all having fun at your expense," which is damn false. Soon he will be calling you the stupidest poster on the board. He doesn't seem to grasp his own hypocrisy.

Let him be.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:42 PM
You're wasting your time. obstructed_view refuses to budge on anything. He already made the assertion we're "all having fun at your expense," which is damn false. Soon he will be calling you the stupidest poster on the board. He doesn't seem to grasp his own hypocrisy.

Let him be.

As long as you're around, that ain't likely.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
As long as you're around, that ain't likely.

you're an idiot.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
you're an idiot.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM

At least you accept it now.

Obstructed_View
At least you accept it.

Actually, I appreciate the irony.

Sean Cagney
Hoopsworld no matter where I go is always laughed at, it's the biggest joke ever. Take their stuff for a grain of salt.

BTW is that site up still just for people to laugh at? Seriously everybody knows it's a joke and not even half the things in it are true.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Actually, I appreciate the irony.

Concerning your alias' perfect description of the persona behind it?

TDomination
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I think the Onion is more reliable

Mavs<Spurs
At least you accept it.

???

Quoting implies accepting ?

spurspokesman
now, this seems like a foolish assertion on your part.

Norms are established through similar processes in many different environments.
There is no implication that every action is either prohibited or mandated.
There is an implication that some behaviors are preferred to others.
Why that translates to a universal conclusion, i'll never know and you'll never prove.

And why one can't believe that the authorities here (kori and timvp) have some actions that they prohibit and others that they prefer don't occur but won't always prevent or impose consequences upon violators is a complete mystery. Based upon the faqs, they - the authorities prefer (and many users prefer) that this type of thread not be started.

And within a hierarchical structure, there is a formal authority often and then there are group norms which are established. These norms aren't rules with consequences, but standards of behavior that members prefer, recommend and encourage.

+1000000000

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
now, that makes no sense.

So, the way that you can make sure that redundant and stupid threads don't appear is by not pointing out their uselessness once they have already been started. Once these useless threads have already been started, then don't tell the person who started the stupid thread not to do it again.

???

No.

Oh no you don't he specifically said bumping this thread with useless opinions was irritating. Its like oyu two completely ignore the quoted portion and try to fall back on this piss poor excuse.

z0sa
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
???

Quoting implies accepting ?

are you his groupie?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
are you his groupie?

he does desperately want to be included in the clique. I actually thought we were making progress with the metaphysics discussion too.

Obstructed_View
Oh no you don't he specifically said bumping this thread with useless opinions was irritating. Its like oyu two completely ignore the quoted portion and try to fall back on this piss poor excuse.

It was irritating, but fucking with you is far more fun. There's nothing hypocritical about it; the situation simply changed.

Spursmania
:cheerSo, when are we getting McDyess:cheer

Knoxxx
Sad, this thread has detoriorated into pointless infighting due to the lack of a timely Dice signing and accompanying frustration.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Sad, this thread has detoriorated into pointless infighting due to the lack of a timely Dice signing and accompanying frustration.

The value of this thread hasn't really changed from the first post.