PDA

View Full Version : Hawks, Pachulia agree to terms

Duncanoypi
07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Free agent center Zaza Pachulia has agreed to terms with the Atlanta Hawks on a long-term deal.
Pachulia's new deal is expected to be for four years, with a healthy raise, although he's still a borderline fantasy prospect in most leagues.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/hawks/stories/2009/07/08/hawks_pachulia_deal.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

This means, we run out of options....Roll the DICE in San Antonio pleeeeease!:flag:

BlackBellamy
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Aww, man. I liked this guy as a second option to McDyess. I think we could've done well by a legit big man at 6-11. Oh well, Dice or bust!

Ditty
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/hawks/stories/2009/07/08/hawks_pachulia_deal.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

This means, we run out of options....Roll the DICE in San Antonio pleeeeease!:flag::danceclub

G-Nob
07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Should've applied the pressure last night on Dice. This is too close for comfort.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM
It's McDyess or bust now..............

mikeb2016
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
If we miss on McDyess, we should go after Marvin Williams HARD, with a full 5 year MLE. The Hawks would be in a tough position to match with all of the money they have spent this offseason.

If any team sneaks Williams away from the Hawks this year, it could be the steal of the offseason...

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
The hawks would match in a heartbeat, say "thank you" and enjoy having Marvin locked up for 5 years at MLE prices.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
The hawks would match in a heartbeat, say "thank you" and enjoy having Marvin locked up for 5 years at MLE prices.

Doubt it. As much potential as Marvin has, the Hawks are commited to another hybrid forward (Josh Smith) long-term and are solidifying their front-court by keeping Pachulia and continuing to develop Horford.

They also committed long-term money for Bibby, have Joe Johnson's big contract, and added Jamal Crawford's sizeable contract as well.

I don't know how the numbers stack up, but I'd say they're probably skirting the lux tax line. If the Spurs, or any other team, threw a full MLE deal at Williams, I think it would be hard for the Hawks to match.

Shastafarian
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
The Hawks would trade Josh Smith in a heartbeat. They're not THAT committed to him.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Agree with the previous poster that if Dice falls through, this news could benefit the Spurs targeting Williams next.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 01:27 PM
The hawks were rumored to be shopping Josh Smith last year. Marvin at MLE is a much better bargain than Josh at what he's making. All this being based on an assumption that Marvin would sign and MLE offer sheet, which he may not want to do given that he could just take the QO and be unrestricted next year.

FuzzyLumpkins
WEll that sucks. I was actually hoping that we would go after this guy if both Dice and sheed fell through. Hopefully we get something done before the well goes dry.

K-State Spur
Should've applied the pressure last night on Dice. This is too close for comfort.

not like we had any leverage with the 2 names that went down today. both andersen and zaza signed for more than we could offer.

Mel_13
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
The Hawks have tendered a $7.3M qualifying offer to Williams. It is doubtful he would sign an MLE offer since he can take the 7.3M and try again as an unrestricted FA next year. In the unlikely event that he signed for the MLE, it is almost certain that Atlanta would match. Same logic applies for Childress. He can always go back to Greece or accept the QO. If he signed for the MLE, the Hawks would almost certainly match.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
The Hawks would trade Josh Smith in a heartbeat. They're not THAT committed to him.

Yes they are. The only reason his name has been out there in trade rumors is because he's by far their best trade asset. IF they traded him, it would be to get back a superstar talent.

Keep in mind, Williams was a pick made by former GM Billy Knight, not by current GM Rick Sund.

kbrury
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
No one wants Josh Smith because of his trade kicker.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
The Hawks have tendered a $7.3M qualifying offer to Williams. It is doubtful he would sign an MLE offer since he can take the 7.3M and try again as an unrestricted FA next year. In the unlikely event that he signed for the MLE, it is almost certain that Atlanta would match. Same logic applies for Childress. He can always go back to Greece or accept the QO. If he signed for the MLE, the Hawks would almost certainly match.

Forgot the QO was that high. Yeah he's probably a 2010 UFA.

Shastafarian
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes they are. The only reason his name has been out there in trade rumors is because he's by far their best trade asset. IF they traded him, it would be to get back a superstar talent.

Keep in mind, Williams was a pick made by former GM Billy Knight, not by current GM Rick Sund.
False. They want to get rid of him because of his attitude. He hates his coach.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
False. They want to get rid of him because of his attitude. He hates his coach.

Link?

Lived in middle Georgia and followed the Hawks for most of the last four years...never heard they wanted to trade him because of his attitude.

Shastafarian
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Link?

Lived in middle Georgia and followed the Hawks for most of the last four years...never heard they wanted to trade him because of his attitude.

"Don’t let the story of the boy who cried wolf affect how seriously you take the Josh Smith trade rumors circa 2009. Granted, we heard the same thing on a bi-weekly basis for the entirety of the off-season last year: the Hawks want to get rid of Smith because he’s been a difficult guy in the clubhouse, but he’s not that much of a problem that they’re willing to sell him on the cheap."

http://dimemag.com/2009/06/nba-trade-rumor-hawks-shopping-josh-smith-aggressively/

There's one link. I'm sure I could find others but I gotta go to work.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
On the actual point of this article....good to see Zaza get re-upped by the Hawks. He played hard for them and should still be a value pick if it's not a crazy hike in his current pay.

mikeb2016
07-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Forgot the QO was that high. Yeah he's probably a 2010 UFA.

Ditto for me...I had previously posted in the Marvin Williams thread that I was giving up on him because I knew the reality was that we couldn't lock him in at the full MLE, even if somehow Atlanta would not match. With this morning's news that next year's cap could potentially shrink significantly, I allowed myself to think that he might take good money now for the long term, rather than wait to play the free-agent waiting game next year.

However, if he can get more than 7 mil this year, he may just as well wait for next year, and in a worst case scenario take the full MLE then. My fault for a bad post...just hoping against hope I guess.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 01:42 PM
On the actual point of this article....good to see Zaza get re-upped by the Hawks. He played hard for them and should still be a value pick if it's not a crazy hike in his current pay.

Agreed there. I was really hoping the Spurs would have shown more interest in purusing him than they did.

AFBlue
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
"Don’t let the story of the boy who cried wolf affect how seriously you take the Josh Smith trade rumors circa 2009. Granted, we heard the same thing on a bi-weekly basis for the entirety of the off-season last year: the Hawks want to get rid of Smith because he’s been a difficult guy in the clubhouse, but he’s not that much of a problem that they’re willing to sell him on the cheap."

http://dimemag.com/2009/06/nba-trade-rumor-hawks-shopping-josh-smith-aggressively/

There's one link. I'm sure I could find others but I gotta go to work.

While that's pretty weak (the four-letter network writing a rumor piece instead of a local beat writer like Sekou Smith from the AJC), I guess I can concede one point...the fact that he's their best trade asset may not be the ONLY reason they're willing to trade for him.

Again though, they're not getting rid of him for peanuts. My guess is he stays in ATL unless they get a really attractive offer for him.

kbrury
07-08-2009, 02:15 PM
While that's pretty weak (the four-letter network writing a rumor piece instead of a local beat writer like Sekou Smith from the AJC), I guess I can concede one point...the fact that he's their best trade asset may not be the ONLY reason they're willing to trade for him.

Again though, they're not getting rid of him for peanuts. My guess is he stays in ATL unless they get a really attractive offer for him.

You realize no one is going to take him because of his 7m trade kicker.

spursfan1000
07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
WTf are the Spurs management doing, they need to hury and sign a C. They already lost Sheed,Gortat,Pachilla,Anderson. Now we need to get Dyess, if that dosen't happen we would need to make a trade but they need to step on the gass and sign someone.

Danny.Zhu
07-08-2009, 08:43 PM
No bust!!!