PDA

View Full Version : Birdman signed by the Nuggets...

urunobili
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/08/nuggets.andersen.contract.ap/index.html

Nuggets keep Birdman in their nest with 5-year deal

Posted Jul 8 2009 2:25PM

DENVER (AP) -- Chris "Birdman" Andersen has reached a five-year deal to keep his high-flying, shot-blocking act with the Denver Nuggets, a team he revived his career with last season.

Andersen's attorney, Mark Bryant, confirmed the agreement on Wednesday, saying it could be signed later in the day. The deal was first reported by the Denver Post.

Andersen, who turned 31 on Tuesday, could make up to $26 million over the lifetime of a back-loaded contract that gives the Nuggets financial flexibility.

He'll make close to $3.65 million in 2009-10, up from the $998,398 he made last season, when he averaged 6.4 points and 2.5 blocks in 20.6 minutes.

"You write the best-case scenario, think you're dreaming and open your eyes and it's real," Bryant said. "He's very excited. They treated him as a priority."

With his colorful tattoos and spiky hair, Andersen was an instant hit with Denver fans, who've embraced his return to the court.

Andersen came back to the NBA in 2008 following a ban that lasted almost two years after he tested positive for an undisclosed "drug of abuse."

The energetic forward known for his defensive disruption around the basket provided a spark off the bench as the Nuggets made a run to the Western Conference finals, where they fell to the Los Angeles Lakers in six games.

He swatted 175 shots in the regular season, second only to Orlando Magic All-Star Dwight Howard -- in far less minutes.

Andersen began his career in Denver in 2001, before bolting to New Orleans three seasons later.

He had a breakout season with the Hornets 2004-05, only to have his career derailed by drugs.

Following his ban, Andersen returned to New Orleans late in the 2007-08 season, playing five games and blocking four shots.

Several teams offered him NBA minimum contracts before the 2008 season, but he elected to play in Denver, where he lives.

Andersen replaced Marcus Camby's shot-blocking presence in the middle, adding a big dose of energy as well -- swooping his arms after big plays.

The fans ate it up. Some of Anderson's flock would even arrive at Pepsi Center wearing feathery costumes and spiky hair.

Andersen received a raucous ovation whenever he entered the game.

"They've really embraced him," Bryant said of his legion of fans. "I think it's a win-win [situation]. They (the Nuggets) wanted him and he wanted to be here."

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
That's way more than I'd have been willing to pay him, but good for him.

DBMethos
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
$26 million could sure buy a lot of...um, stimulants.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
How does back-loading the contract help the Nuggs? Does it just give them a big expiring contract to use in a trade? Overpaid is overpaid, even if you're using the money to buy something else later. You still have to pay the guy you get back.

MajorMike
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Good for him. He turned one amazing end of the season and playoff run into a huge contract that he doesn't deserve.

Now maybe he will open a Philly Steak restaurant in Denver before he gets shipped to the Knicks.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Good for him. He turned one amazing end of the season and playoff run into a huge contract that he doesn't deserve.

Now maybe he will open a Philly Steak restaurant in Denver before he gets shipped to the Knicks.

:lol I spit Pepsi on my monitor again.

Hopefully, for his sake, he's found a home and he can stay out of trouble the rest of his career. Having teammates like Carmelo, Kenyon and JR should help, too.

urunobili
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
3.65 mill a year for his production sounds like he was obtained on the cheap side...

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
3.65 mill a year for his production sounds like he was obtained on the cheap side...

That's the first year. That means he'll probably be making seven or eight by year five.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM

I read the article was ready to compare it to the Malik signing, and then I scrolled down and got stuck on this comment laughing my ass off.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Andersen's attorney, Mark Bryant, confirmed the agreement on Wednesday

http://bojack.org/images/markbryant.jpg

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
That's the first year. That means he'll probably be making seven or eight by year five.

Not if the contract starts at $3.65 mil in year 1.

angelbelow
07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
looks like loyalty paid off. birdman was rumored to be willing to except a pay cut to stay with them. instead it looks like he got overpaid.