PDA

View Full Version : Sarah’s Secret Diary

DarrinS
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
A lovely tribute to Palin by the never bitter Maureen Dowd

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/opinion/08dowd.html?_r=1

Dear Diary,

No one understands me. It’s like I’m speaking some Eskimo dialect or something. Andrea Mitchell follows me all the way to Kanakanak Beach and I get a French manicure and set up this huge photo op for her, even though she spooked the salmon.

Todd and me are in our cool fishing bibs. Piper’s helping out on the boat. It’s an amazing day that shows how our Creator favored my beloved Alaska, gatekeeper of the continent, and makes a great shot for all the network reporters up here to milk. This progresses me away from my image as some kind of flaky “rogue diva” and back to my image as a tough huntin’ and fishin’ gal.

But Andrea makes such a darn big deal about how I’m quitting in the middle of my term.

“You’re not listening to me!” I snap.

She says maybe I didn’t want to go back to the nitty-gritty of Alaska politics after the bright lights of the national campaign.

“The nitty-gritty, like, you mean, the fish slime and the dirt under the fingernails and stuff that’s me?” I said. Awesome response, huh?!!

It’s the same old double standard. I am not one of those who would whine and cuss. It’s just not how I’m wired!!! But the minute I start to whine and cuss, the mainstream media totally misunderstands my verbiage and the combination of things that brought me to this place of knowing. And I know that I know that I know those crappy bloggers will put out more confliction stories.

I keep explaining what impacted me, but everyone seems more confused and ironic than ever. What is it about average, hard-working Americans like me that Americans can’t understand?

I love Alaska too much to waste any more time on her Bridge to Nowhere. I need to be able to go forth out there and fight for what is right. And what is right is for me and my First Dude to take that big fish run to the White House.

So people should stop being so stinkin’ mean to me because this is a goal-setting thing, a full-court press, a sub-four marathon. Karl Rove thinks I’m not prepared for the national stage??? Pundits think I should read a book before I write one??? Man, I feel a grizzly rising up in me!!!

Every mom we know multitasks. And I am one to believe I can use an all-of-the-above approach, too. I can abandon Alaska and ambition myself for the presidency. I can get bored with my job and fight apathy. I can take the easy path out to work hard on a path for fruitfulness. I can move on selfishly and call it altruistically. I don’t need a title now when I can shake up the good ol’ boys and get a better title in the end.

You didn’t really think I was going anywhere, did you? I’m one of Google’s hot trends. We’re doing a fund-raising push this week on SarahPAC to destroy Obama’s attempt to destroy capitalism. And forget about Obama’s youth revolution. I posed for a cheesecake shot in Runner’s World with short-shorts and a crumpled American flag that’s destined to be on the bedroom wall of every conservative 12-year-old boy. It’s the metaphor, stupid! Heck yeah, I’m running! As I learned when I was a beauty contestant — flags and gams show you it’s about country.

And before you say anything though about the glam shots of me stretching and preening on the waterfront in my cute running outfits, don’t bother. That would be a sexist double standard.

Nobody said anything when Obama walked around in Hawaii without his shirt, showing off his washboard abs. Well, maybe they did, but I betcha they say more about me because, of course, we know by now, for some reason, a different standard applies to my decisions.

It’s just like when Obama, the One Who Must Be Obeyed, said his family was off-limits so everyone left them alone. But they never left mine alone. Thank goodness for that though because we hate being out of the limelight! It was a blast to see Bristol with my grandbaby Tripp on the cover of People as the ambassadress of abstinence!

It’s the same different standard with the dirt-digging behind these frivolous ethics complaints. As I told the reporters who chased me up here, if I were in the White House instead of Alaska, the Department of Law down there would look at some of the things that we’ve been charged with and automatically throw them out. Later, the media brats began making a big, fat ugly scene about there being no Department of Law in Washington.

I say, tell that to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan who are risking their lives to protect our system of laws. How sad that the unpatriotic, godless media picking away at me will never understand it’s about country.

It’s about me running the country.

It’s about me running.

It’s about me.

The media doesn’t get Sarah Palin. I hear planes buzzing. Oh, no!! Have they all left?? Even that Time reporter who I showed how to smoke salmon???

LnGrrrR
07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Maureen Dowd is a putz, and so is Camille Paglia.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Are you going to post every piece of satire involving Palin?

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe it was an honest jab at journalistic balance.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
She was subjected to an unprecedented personal attack by the media and its partisans, at least in terms of ferocity and intensity, from the moment her candidacy was announced last year.

She should have gone home to Alaska, recharged, and focused on being a mother and a governor. If she was interested in returning to national politics, then she could be ready for it. I think she would've garnered some respect if she came back, unbowed, and ready to battle.

Instead, we have what we saw in the last couple of days. Now, if she's fed up with politics altogether and wants to move into something new, fine, whatever. But from a political perspective you don't just quit and then expect to move onto something better. Even if you start running for higher office once you are elected to a lower office, like our current president, you never give up an office because of anything other than you are on your deathbed, dying. Even if you get busting using the state credit card to fly down to Buenos Aires to hook up with your Argentine panocha, you never quit. Never ever.

DarrinS
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
stop posting shitty articles plz thx

You are like boutons_deux with a slightly milder case of Tourettes.

SonOfAGun
07-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, the people wanted someone not of "Washington". Obama has already proven he is the same ol' same ol'. I mean, OBAMA, the one hope that deceivingly personified NOT OF WASHINGTON has already shown he is nothing different than the same trash that inhabits D.C.. The people's hopes will be so low that they will welcome in the complete opposite.

People will be so sick of government in the upcoming years that maybe a beautiful intelligent fishing & hunting anti-government Alaskan woman who quit on politics might be the answer.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
But then she would just quit again.

jack sommerset
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
A newspaper actually printed that. Good God! The Times at that. I swear this country gets worse everyday.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
A newspaper actually printed that. Good God! The Times at that. I swear this country gets worse everyday.
The NY Times has been losing subscribers for years now. I wonder where they get their money?

clambake
07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
that coffee maker in your sig looks like massive govt. waste.

DMX7
07-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Department of Law???????? OMFG... She could have been a heartbeat away from the presidency.

jman3000
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
:lol yeah... that was a good one. She probably meant the DOJ... but it definitely doesn't help her image much.

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I think they have one of those in Alaska. Maybe it was a just a klunky analogy on Palin's part.

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Or maybe Sarah Palin just *misspeaks like you and me*.

GWB has this quality. Maybe people are still homesick for the semblance.

jman3000
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
So if I get elected president I can call the Secret Service the Texas Rangers?

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
They'll know what you mean, jman. You can have an aide-de-camp translate your wishes.

jman3000
07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not gonna make a deal out of it. It's just a funny misstatement.

Unlike some of these people who swear that because Obama said 57 states it makes him an idiot Mulsim... because... you know... there's 57 Muslim states and all.

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 10:11 PM
God, that.

DMX7
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
:lol yeah... that was a good one. She probably meant the DOJ... but it definitely doesn't help her image much.

No, because it's not the job of the Department of Justice to serve as the president's personal legal defense team. She probably meant the White House Counsel since they, unlike the graduates of Pat Robertson's Law School over at the DOJ, actually know what they're doing..

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I think of this so-called faux pas as being exactly the same thing as *57 states*: a useless and utterly unsatisfying pastime.

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.villagehatshop.com/media/thumbsup.php?image=propeller-beanie_lrg.jpg&width=375

Wild Cobra
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I think of this so-called faux pas as being exactly the same thing as *57 states*: a useless and utterly unsatisfying pastime.
You know, Obama won because of the extra votes from the extra seven states...

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 11:13 PM
That's very much in the same vein, but humor was at least attempted this time.

DMX7
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
You know, Obama won because of the extra votes from the extra seven states...

Hmm... well it's a good thing he didn't slip up twice otherwise Sarah Palin might have believed him.

"Fox news has reported that Mrs Palin did not understand that Africa was a continent, not a country, and did not know what countries were in the North American Free Trade Agreement"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5095495.ece

Wild Cobra
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
That's very much in the same vein, but humor was at least attempted this time.
I never was good at jokes, but I probably could have done better.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Hmm... well it's a good thing he didn't slip up twice otherwise Sarah Palin might have believed him.

"Fox news has reported that Mrs Palin did not understand that Africa was a continent, not a country, and did not know what countries were in the North American Free Trade Agreement"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5095495.ece
Again, have a real source on that?

I have asked before, and never received it. Even Fox news is wrong at times.

Only fools trust "unnamed" sources.

Winehole23
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Eh, don't sweat it, WC

jman3000
07-08-2009, 11:35 PM
No, because it's not the job of the Department of Justice to serve as the president's personal legal defense team. She probably meant the White House Counsel since they, unlike the graduates of Pat Robertson's Law School over at the DOJ, actually know what they're doing..

I'm trying to give her a bit of slack. I know she'd be wrong either way... but the way I said means that she's a bit less wrong... as far as similarity in the name of departments is.

I went out of my way to be non critical and now I've gone and confused myself.

jman3000
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
:lmao @ "even Fox News is wrong at times".

As if somehow they are a paragon for journalistic integrity.

GMAFB

Wild Cobra
07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
:lmao @ "even Fox News is wrong at times".

As if somehow they are a paragon for journalistic integrity.

GMAFB
Again, where are the facts behind the African accusation?

Wild Cobra
07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Eh, don't sweat it, WC
Maybe I should just add some of these fools to my ignore list?

jman3000
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Again, where are the facts behind the African accusation?

IDK... it's an anonymous source. A lot of info is anonymous because they're close to the source and don't want to risk being put in a position away from the source.

With that being said, I doubt that somebody as high profile as Palin could be dumb enough to not know whether Africa is a continent or country. I've dismissed that accusation as just petty infighting amongst the McCain campaign.

I'm laughing at you because of your "even Fox News is wrong sometimes". As if you hold them to a higher standard for some reason even though they're just as bad a news source as everyone else.

Wild Cobra
07-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm laughing at you because of your "even Fox News is wrong sometimes". As if you hold them to a higher standard for some reason even though they're just as bad a news source as everyone else.
Fox news started out good, but they have slipped downhill over the years. I would like to see them better than what they are. As for holding them to a higher standard, I know better than that. I just wish I could expect more from them. When I do tune to cable news, it's them. However, I normally rely on the radio. I listen to four stations. In my area, they are 620 (http://www.620kpoj.com/main.html), 750 (http://www.kxl.com/), 860 (http://www.kpam.com/), and 1190 (http://www.1190kex.com/main.html) on the AM dial. 620 is the Air America affiliate station. The other three are normally conservative oriented, but sometimes have lefties. That's funny is both 620 that airs all the lefties, and 1190 which airs Rush Limbaugh are owned by the same parent company.

jman3000
07-09-2009, 12:07 AM
balls that reminds me...

DMX7
07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Even Fox news is wrong at times.

No, Fox news is wrong just about all the time. This, however, is rather consistent with the non-sense that comes out of her mouth.

But I digress, for the dead horse has properly beaten.

LnGrrrR
07-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Fox news started out good, but they have slipped downhill over the years. I would like to see them better than what they are. As for holding them to a higher standard, I know better than that. I just wish I could expect more from them. When I do tune to cable news, it's them. However, I normally rely on the radio. I listen to four stations. In my area, they are 620 (http://www.620kpoj.com/main.html), 750 (http://www.kxl.com/), 860 (http://www.kpam.com/), and 1190 (http://www.1190kex.com/main.html) on the AM dial. 620 is the Air America affiliate station. The other three are normally conservative oriented, but sometimes have lefties. That's funny is both 620 that airs all the lefties, and 1190 which airs Rush Limbaugh are owned by the same parent company.

You might like Walton & Johnson. It's a radio show here in Mississippi, with two 'good ol' boys' that play characters, like your stereotypical gay man and stereotypical black man. And they slam Dems all day. Sounds right up your alley. :)