PDA

View Full Version : NBA has never had starting 5's like this all at once

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Lakers:Fish/Kobe/Artest/Gasol/Bynum

Spurs:Parker/Manu/Jefferson/McDyess/Duncan

Boston:Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Garnett/Wallace

Orlando:Nelson/Carter/Pietrus/Lewis/Howard

and it looks like Dallas will get Marion, so...

Dallas:Kidd/Terry/Marion/Dirk/Gortat

It really is becoming a top heavy league now. I dont see much middle ground. The top 4 teams in the West and East are gonna be heads and shoulders above everyone else in the league.

Creation88
07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
super teams

Bob Lanier
07-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Never?

biziofromdowntown
07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
That we'll be a war... a long season with 5/6 team really better than all the other junks.

coyotes_geek
Sure looks like the rest of the league is content to just let the Spurs, lakers, celts, cavs and Magic play it out next year. Dallas, meh. If they get Marion they'll be good, but still, meh.

xtremesteven33
There have been better teams at the same time i would think

poeticism707

It really is becoming a top heavy league now. I dont see much middle ground. The top 4 teams in the West and East are gonna be heads and shoulders above everyone else in the league.

It actually resembles the 80s Showtime Lakers and Celtics, and other teams with stacked rosters.

This is going to be great basketball!

:flag::flag::flag:

lefty
LOL Mavs

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm looking forward to the next series turning 3 point shot by a Spur over Rasheed.

:hungry:

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Mavs won 50 games last year and finally get a center who can play defense...Dampier sucks. And Marion will be an upgrade with Howard coming off the bench. I wouldnt sleep on them. I dont think Denver can duplicate what they did last year, so I think the top 4 in the West will be: Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, and Trailblazers.

spursbird
07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
You forgot Cavs. LeBron can be thought as two all-stars.

gospursgojas
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM

3 teams with stacked starting 5's...the others are ok

sonic21
07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Manu, Wallace, Pietrus, Terry are not starters :toast

Allanon
07-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Lakers have 6 pretty good names on their team:
Lakers:Fish/Kobe/Artest/Gasol/Bynum - Odom

Nuggets also have a great team on paper.

2010 super free-agency and the economy has dictated such staggering teams. Teams that aren't contenders are just waiting out this year.

In any other year, those teams by themselves would be far and away favorites to win it all.

SouthTexasRancher
07-08-2009, 06:07 PM

You left off the Cavs and the Mavs are not better with Marion. He just brings teams down. He is all about $$$ and nothing about 'TEAM'.

spurspokesman
07-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Exactly. manu is starter material but needed to energize the bench and be the best player off either bench.

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Cavs havent signed a PF yet, so I couldnt put their starting 5.

Bob Lanier
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Lakers have 6 pretty good names on their team:
Lakers:Fish/Kobe/Artest/Gasol/Bynum - Odom
Who is not, in point of fact, actually on your team at the moment.

Eh. In any case, Boston will start Perkins because he's the better player, and none of those lineups has more than 2-3 very good players and a couple of role players in any case.

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
2-3 very good players and a couple of role players? lol Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, and Orlando will all win over 60 games. I dont know about anyone else, but I can think of other teams that have 2-3 very good players who wont get near that total.

ohmwrecker
07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

This is the year that this Manu sixth man BS needs to end.

anakha
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
The early to mid-80s Lakers, Celtics, and maybe even the Sixers may object to the OP.

DMX7
Ginobili isn't going to start. He is better off the bench and Mason is better as a starter.

toki9
Those seem to be pretty old starting 5's...

mytespurs
07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Portland not in the discussion?

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Manu will start, Pietrus will start, and Terry will start. The only guy may not is Rasheed, but for the money they spent and the over doing of recruiting him, I think he'll get the nod over Perkins...or they'll switch Garnett to center and Rasheed to PF.

Bob Lanier
07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
2-3 very good players and a couple of role players? lol Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, and Orlando will all win over 60 games. I dont know about anyone else, but I can think of other teams that have 2-3 very good players who wont get near that total.
Lakers: Bryant and Gasol stars; Artest solid player; Fisher and Bynum role players.

Spurs: Parker and Duncan stars; Ginobili and Jefferson solid players; McDyess role player.

Celtics: Pierce and Garnett stars; Allen and Rondo solid players; Perkins role player.

Magic: Carter and Howard stars; Lewis solid player; Nelson and Pietrus role players.

Mavs: Nowitzki star; Terry solid player; Kidd, Marion, Gortat role players.

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Portland is in my top 4 for the West, I wanna see if they get Odom or not.

Allanon
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Portland is a good point. An excellent regular season team with probably the most talented 12 man roster top to bottom. If Roy and Aldridge had more Playoff experience, they'd be in the top tier.

But unless they get some Playoff veterans, they're still 2 years out of the WCF.

Amarelooms
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Terry is not going to start moron...he is the 6th man of the year. Howard moves to the 2 guard, with Marion playing SF. The Mavs have the best starting 5 other than the Lakers. Suck it losers :elephant

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 06:28 PM

What about the Cavs?

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Lakers: Bryant and Gasol stars; Artest solid player; Fisher and Bynum role players.

Spurs: Parker and Duncan stars; Ginobili and Jefferson solid players; McDyess role player.

Celtics: Pierce and Garnett stars; Allen and Rondo solid players; Perkins role player.

Magic: Carter and Howard stars; Lewis solid player; Nelson and Pietrus role players.

Mavs: Nowitzki star; Terry solid player; Kidd, Marion, Gortat role players.

Well, you're not gonna get Chris Paul/Kobe/LeBron/Duncan/Howard...on one team if thats what you're saying. These are some of the strongest built line ups in NBA history(in free agency period). The Lakers and Celtics of the 80's would be a close comparision and good for discussion. Look at the Celtics starting 5 in the 80's and then look at the Spurs and Lakers right now. I dont see that Celtic team winning in a series. McHale? Parish? Ainge? Johnson? Bird would obviously hold his own.

SteelerNation
07-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Terry is not going to start moron...he is the 6th man of the year. Howard moves to the 2 guard, with Marion playing SF. The Mavs have the best starting 5 other than the Lakers. Suck it losers :elephant

No need for name calling, kid. And if your team wants to move Howard to the 2 and have him get smoked every game, that's ya'lls decision.

nadroj117
07-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Lmao ... typical mavs fan, how do you figure that the mavs have a better starting 5 than the spurs? Gortat was spurs 3rd choice, behind mcdyess... marion isn't in a run and gun shoot it in 8 second offense like in Phoenix, look at what he's done since he left there... howard at the 2? lmao really? in what world could howard play the 2? just another uneducated dallas bball fan

Shank
07-08-2009, 06:49 PM
in what world could howard play the 2? just another uneducated dallas bball fan

He's played it before and his numbers compare to what he's done at the 3, if that's the team's decision.

DJB
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Mavs won 50 games last year and finally get a center who can play defense...Dampier sucks. And Marion will be an upgrade with Howard coming off the bench. I wouldnt sleep on them.

I would happily agree with this statement but you're forgetting that Dirk Nowitzki is their leader. :lol

NickiRasgo
07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Kings 2002 - Bibby/Christie/Peja/Webber/Divac - Jackson

carrao45
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Who is not, in point of fact, actually on your team at the moment.

Eh. In any case, Boston will start Perkins because he's the better player, and none of those lineups has more than 2-3 very good players and a couple of role players in any case.

Magic's very good players:Howard, VC, Jameer, Rashard

CharlieMac
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
We'll see how long Rondo lasts.

weebo
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
They'll all be great teams for sure but how do you substantiate that team A is greater than team B? We won't know for sure how all this will play out until the start of the regular season. Can't wait!