PDA

View Full Version : What's missing

picnroll
07-08-2009, 07:19 PM
What's missing. Rumors of a S&T. If the Spurs are to do it what type of piece or which palyer do you think they'd go for?

I'd say a long defensive player that could play the big 2s and 3s.

SPURSGOAT
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Package Vaughn, Bonner, and Finley for something please...

Allanon
With RJ fortifying the SF spot with Finley, Gist is the only player needed to complete a good SF rotation.

I think the Spurs should be DONE now, with the exception of Manu's health and the minor role players like Vaughn, etc.

DAF86
I'd go for that but Pop may want to get a veteran PG, Duhon maybe? I heard something about Gadzuric which I hope isn't true.

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I would say another C or PG, but I do not think there is a S&T in the works. Just some bad info more than likely.

mouse
To get past the Dallas Mavericks the list is as follows...

Kobe
MJ
LeBron
Shaq
Steve Mc Nair....

ElNono
How about a Nocioni trade, like MB was mentioning a few days ago?
Would you pull the trigger, even if it cost you Mason?

timvp
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Get Bowen back.

Anything and everything else would be gravy at this point.

silverblackfan
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Unless some crazy deal is out there, I think the Spurs stay pat with the new roster. There are enough new people to learn the system this year. Should be fun.

picnroll
07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Don't seen any way to get him but Battier would be awesome.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
How about a Nocioni trade, like MB was mentioning a few days ago?
Would you pull the trigger, even if it cost you Mason?

I would only do that without Mason. But that's assuming the Spurs are not willing to simply let Bonner and Finley's contracts end after the season. Still, he would fit the team extremely well and you get rid of Finley.

mouse
07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Get Bowen back.

I wonder how Bowen feels about this move can you interview him?

NickiRasgo
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
John Salmons. :D

Allanon
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
John Salmons. :D

Yup. If the Spurs had gotten Salmons, I'd be shaking in my boots.

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
None of these players are "S&T" players like have been mentioned.

bdictjames
07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
A back-up PG other than mcClinton would be nice.

EDIT: Wait I forgot about Hill.

Stay pat. Trade Bonner and Finley if possible. :downspin:

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Spurs likely won't be able to do a sign and trade unless they find a team who wants Splitter or the expiring contracts so they can make a deal with another team looking to do a salary dump before the February trade deadline.

ducks
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
hill may be able to run point a season under his belt would help

DPG21920
Spurs likely won't be able to do a sign and trade unless they find a team who wants Splitter or the expiring contracts so they can make a deal with another team looking to do a salary dump before the February trade deadline.

Exactly, or with a team looking strictly for cap space for next years push.

MaNu4Tres
Spurs will make a move close to the deadline to improve at the 2 guard spot or to solidify the front-line if one of the young bigs doesn't step up.

Players that would make sense to package for:

Marcus Camby, Shane Battier, Stephen Jackson, Andres Nocioni, Raja Bell

crc21209
07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Spurs will make a move close to the deadline to improve at the 2 guard spot or to solidify the front-line if one of the young bigs doesn't step up.

If we could get ANY of those guys it would be F'ing awesome. Imagine Jack back with THESE Spurs.

4RINGS
07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Get Bowen back.

True, we are right where we want to be... maybe a PG, but Hill and/or Mason works fine too.:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

NickiRasgo
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Stephen Jackson or Shane Battier, will be nice also with Andres Nocioni.

OT: By the way, KB24 will visit here, In Philippines, on July 21 (July 20 on USA), do you want me to kill him? :lol Just kidding.

trajik dark
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
keith bogans

Spursmania
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM

ANy of those guys would be sweet.:toast

kobyz
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
maybe Rashad McCants

ducks
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM

sj no (would want more shots then he would get now with this stud team)
bell maybe bowen would be better
camby ok
andres HELL NO

CGD
07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Nothing. I think we've seen the last of the moves for the Summer. Bring on the SL!

picnroll
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
The only guys I see with options that could be S&T bait are Moon, Marvin Williams, Hakeem Warrick, Kleiza. Am I'm missing someone of note?

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Childress.

Tully365
07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
:lol At this point the only things missing are world peace and a cure for cancer, but I suspect RC Buford will find answers for those in the next week too.

DAF86
07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
The only guys I see with options that could be S&T bait are Moon, Marvin Williams, Hakeem Warrick, Kleiza. Am I'm missing someone of note?

Kleiza would be nice.

DBMethos
07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
If anything else happens this offseason, I just might faint!

jag
07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Something for Camby would be nice. Our guards can hang with anyone...but we need more depth in the front court.

lefty
07-08-2009, 07:58 PM
for anything, so Pop can't play them

L.I.T
Childress.

This.

Hawks could use another quality shooter/veteran off the bench...Mason?

picnroll
Spurs could dump their 2010 draft pick into any trade. They sure don't need the cap hit from it.

SonOfAGun
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Bowen as a defensive coach for future defensive player of the year George Hill.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Something for Camby would be nice. Our guards can hang with anyone...but we need more depth in the front court.

If Clippers are out of contention ( for some crazy reason) by late January.

A Bonner/ Haislip/ Finley and a 1st for Camby would be something the Clippers would really consider.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM

A Bonner/ Haislip/ Finley and a 1st for Camby would be something the Clippers would really consider.

IF the Clippers are out of contention? :lol

Don't you mean WHEN the Clippers are out of contention.

anakha
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Spurs could dump their 2010 draft pick into any trade. They sure don't need the cap hit from it.

Oooh, interesting point.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 08:12 PM
IF the Clippers are out of contention? :lol

Don't you mean WHEN the Clippers are out of contention.

sarcasm my friend

Zarko's Ghost
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Lock-down perimeter defender: Thabo Sefalosha

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Now people are just getting greedy! :lol

We have a beautifully balanced squad that can mix and match for any situation, and I think we're pretty much done at this point. Sure, an elite perimeter defender at the wing spot would be nice, but they don't grow on trees, and I feel that Hairston might be the guy they are going to develop in that role. Signing Bowen for the minimum to mentor him would not be a bad move.

I was thinking Finley and Bonner would be shipped, but given that the salary cap is likely to plummet next year by about the combined size of their contracts, that suggests to me the FO are more likely to keep them and let them expire. Also, if you dump those two you're suddenly short on proven long bombers - we hear that Haislip and Gist can bomb it, but they are yet to prove it in an NBA game.

Nah, I reckon we're done, and I'm fine with that. :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 08:22 PM

I don't think so, because you can't go consecutive drafts without a first round pick, and we didn't have one this year. We could throw in the 2011 pick though.

tomtom
07-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Bonner and Finley if possible. :downspin:

+1 everything is perfect so far. I would love to see Gist make the team as well as Ian not breaking any more ankles. Please no JV either

mingus
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Spurs are missing a defensive player to guard guys like Kobe and Melo. Bowen would help in that area. I say pick him again, or sign Dante Jones (although i don't have a clue what his monetary value is).

spurspokesman
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd say get bowen back and make a run at anthony johnson. He is experienced and has respectable defense with scoring ability.
Pg- parker, johnson, and play hill in a combo guard role depending on matchups.

Knoxxx
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

As much as I like the thought of Camby out there with our 4 scorers, I think we need to see what Ian brings to the table with regard to protecting the rim. If Ian does well he is a much more economical choice for that role, with more potential upside.

Knoxxx
07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Finley and Bonner can give us a similar trade to the jefferson deal, a team is looking for a salary dump and we are looking for another piece, but at the moment I think Pop will let the young guys play a bit.

Hard for me to see where we can improve our situation since Bonner/Finley (+?) would likely involve taking back a bad contract for 2-3 years in return. Sure we need to take our best shot in 2009 to win it all, but we don't want be too hamstrung in 2010-11 either. There is still the possibility of getting Manu to stick around for several more years at a good price too. Valid point made that we could do worse at the end of the bench then Bonner/Finley, who can definitely hit the 3 ball if nothing else.

SpursFan0728
07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Now, we need to trade Findog and Bonner away for teams clearing cap space for 2010. Perhaps get a 2011 draft pick and a vetern pg/sg in return.

50 cent
07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
If we could get ANY of those guys it would be F'ing awesome. Imagine Jack back with THESE Spurs.
Holy shit. I would nut in my pants.

Manu/Mason
Jefferson/SJax

Wow.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I really think people are missing the big picture in wanting to now jettison Finley and Bonner. We've upgraded where we needed to - centre and SF - and Finley/Bonner both know the system and hit 3s, beside being reliable veterans who know the system. Also, it makes no sense to bring in too many new players, and we already have nearly half the team coming in fresh.

No, I say keep these two guys. They are good regular season insurance, and perfect for mentoring all the youngsters and team continuity.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I agree completely with Ruff..unless something we can't reject comes along, I'd keep both Bonner and Finley, especially Bonner..the guy is going to be good playing against other bench players..

I think it's too early to tell btw..

Summer League is going to be significant for any potential moves..can Hill show any improvement with his PG skills?..can Hairston/Gist show that he can be a nice athletic player to backup RJ with Finley?..can McClinton show some nice scoring and decent skills as a "point guard"?..Ian and Blair?..

SL will answer some questions..

GSH
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
You guys are gonna poop when Blair starts on opening night, and immediately starts putting up 9 and 12 per night.

I really think people are missing the big picture in wanting to now jettison Finley and Bonner. We've upgraded where we needed to - centre and SF - and Finley/Bonner both know the system and hit 3s, beside being reliable veterans who know the system. Also, it makes no sense to bring in too many new players, and we already have nearly half the team coming in fresh.

No, I say keep these two guys. They are good regular season insurance, and perfect for mentoring all the youngsters and team continuity.

Yep. If Haislip and Blair come close to expectations, it's going to be hard to find minutes for everyone. Having those guys onboard has a lot of positives.

tmtcsc
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Vaughn is an UFA isn't he ?

50 cent
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
McClinton is not a fucking PG and they aren't going to try to make him one. RC has already said as much.

Why do people keeping insisting that the Spurs will try him at the point?

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
How much did Dahntay Jones make last year?

I would offer him the LLE if that is enough....

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Never say never, but I doubt the Spurs would take on Jack and his contract which ends in 2013.

Spursfan092120
07-08-2009, 10:00 PM
To get past the Dallas Mavericks the list is as follows...

Kobe
MJ
LeBron
Shaq
Steve Mc Nair....
what a troubled soul..you actually think Dallas has a chance against this Spurs team...:depressed I feel for you, Mouse...I really do...as a Mavs fan...it will be another heartbreaking season...as usual.

GSH
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Never say never, but I doubt the Spurs would take on Jack and his contract which ends in 2013.

Unless Holt is laundering money for a Colombian cartel, you can say never.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Agreed. Get Camby!:toast

Which, ironically, is what Spurs fans have been clamoring for two years, no matter who we've gotten or not gotten (ie Blair, Dice, etc).

Again, get Camby!!!:king

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nrflrg

ernest787
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't understand why people think the Spurs need another Star caliber player

I really like what the FO has given us this year. We aren't playing a video game where you can grab 8 players rated really well and be guaranteed victories.

You have to take into consideration chemistry, player roles, minutes, match ups, etc. I think with what we have right now, we have already put ourselves in a place to contend this year. Like ANY NBA season a lot of it is going to rely on Pops coaching, some good luck, and hoping that we made the right moves and these guys catch on fast

super stoked on this season

scottspurs
We're just getting greedy now are we not? The FO is spoiling us.

Parker2112

We actually need these guys out of the picture so new talent can find the court. Pop is notorious for leaning on guys who "know the system"

We need to play the youngsters consistently and see what sticks. Bonner and Finley on the squad ='s two promising guys on the IR.

Marcus Bryant
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lhgruz

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM

What year does Noc's contract expire?

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=narh4g

GSH

Heh... Hollinger's analysis is that by trading Nocioni, you reduce the Kings' win total by 51. Is it possible for a team to have a negative win total?

Marcus Bryant
What year does Noc's contract expire?

2012, same as Duncan's.

Sigz
07-08-2009, 10:08 PM
It's not "what's missing?"

It's "What SHOULD be missing?"

The Answer: Matt Bonner.

teeclark
07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I have been thinking about this one for awhile; here goes:
Trade Bonner,Williams,and Finly's contract(they all are expiring) to portland for Pryzbilla and Fernandez. The deal is actualy good for both teams due to it allowing for us to fortify our 2 spot for the future and adding another big to the frey! Portland benefits this year during free agency and next year when they have to resign their stars roy/alldridge! They would be able to cut finly and williams for 2million worth of savings this year while bonner would fall off the books next year...just in time for them! What do you guys think?:lobt2:

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kwpu6g

Knoxxx
07-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd keep both Bonner and Finley, especially Bonner..the guy is going to be good playing against other bench players..

So other teams are going to be so kind as to clear their bench just to give Bonner favorable matchups? Sweet! Will they do that in the playoffs too? :king

fleggy2k2
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM

haha bulls with -51 wins :wow

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
So other teams are going to be so kind as to clear their bench just to give Bonner favorable matchups? Sweet! Will they do that in the playoffs too? :king

Bonner is now a bench player..meaning he'll be playing more often against other bench players, instead of starters like last year..???..

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't want Jackson anywhere near this team..he doesn't fit at all after the RJ trade..we have enough all-star caliber players..

Knoxxx
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Bonner is now a bench player..meaning he'll be playing more often against other bench players, instead of starters like last year..???..

Fair enough. I don't think we see much Bonner at all the way this roster is shaping up though, except in garbage time when we are blowing someone out by 20 or more points!

Ditty
07-08-2009, 10:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Shane_Battier_Houston.jpg/200px-Shane_Battier_Houston.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shane_Battier_Houston.jpg)

San Antonio is 3 hours away,and there pretty good this year?

win a cahmpionship or tank?

loveforthegame
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I think the Spurs are pretty much done now. They addressed the two biggest needs by replacing Bonner and Finley with McDyess and Jefferson in the starting lineup. They also added some youth with Blair and Haislip and possibly Gist, McClinton and Hairston.

Great balance to the roster right now. It's possible they pick up a 3rd pg that rides the bench unless blowout situations or some such.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=moc2s9

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
We're just getting greedy now are we not? The FO is spoiling us.
:king

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Trade Bonner,Williams,and Finly's contract(they all are expiring) to portland for Pryzbilla and Fernandez. The deal is actualy good for both teams due to it allowing for us to fortify our 2 spot for the future and adding another big to the frey! Portland benefits this year during free agency and next year when they have to resign their stars roy/alldridge! They would be able to cut finly and williams for 2million worth of savings this year while bonner would fall off the books next year...just in time for them! What do you guys think?:lobt2:

Great trade!

Portland may do it too, to get more cap space, the currency of the league.

I'd pull the trigger on that one.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=moc2s9

Boris Diaw would not be bad pick up for those players: I also think he'd give LA some match up problems of their own, a la Suns-Lakers Playoffs a few years ago.

I would be loathe to give up Mason for him though.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
This is actually not out of the question. battier is in his 30s and has 2 years left on his contract. With the Rockets possibly losing yao forever they will likely want to get a 2010 free agent and need to create that space. So I am thinking battier or Scola or both will be in trade talks for this up coming season. I just hope the Rockets will help us out.

If the Spurs got Battier, only giving up Mason, Finley, Bonner, etc, the Spurs would DESTORY the Lakers.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, guards Bryant better in the league today.

I'd do that trade in a second: Battier and Scola, or just Battier exclusively.

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

I don't know who originally started the rumor that the spurs are involved in a Sign and trade, and this is basically me trying to connect the dots, but Mark Stein is reporting that there is a mystery 4th team involved in the Marion to Mavericks deal. Could it be the Spurs picking up someone like Anthony Parker. This could be just a bunch of crap, but we did pick up Ron Mercer years ago for nothing. Below is what Stein is saying:

TRADES: Four teams now in Marion deal?

Shawn Marion | Raptors

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported late Wednesday afternoon that the Dallas Mavericks and Toronto Raptors had successfully enlisted the Memphis Grizzlies to help facilitate a trade of F Shawn Marion from Toronto to Dallas, but Stein later tweeted that a fourth mystery team could become involved before all was said and done.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Memphis still has cap room, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs were trying to weasel their way into that deal to try and unload Finley and/or Bonner in a salary dump move.

scottspurs
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Memphis still has cap room, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs were trying to weasel their way into that deal to try and unload Finley and/or Bonner in a salary dump move.

You could be right. It sounds like there is a 4th team involved. Lets just hope out of 27 teams we are the team involved.

MI21
07-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Can't believe there is talk of Buckets. I'm the biggest Jackson fan I know, and I don't want him on this team. No room at all.

With McDyess jumping aboard, Bonner goes from liability to asset just like that.

He is now a big guy who can come off the bench, knows the system, stretches the floor and plays passable defense against mobile, perimeter type big men. For 10-15MPG off of the bench, particularly on a team with an older frontcourt you would like to keep fresh, Bonner is a valuable piece, particularly in the regular season, and with rotations shortening for the playoffs, you don't have to worry about him disappearing. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would like the Spurs to keep him.

Finley, meh. Get rid of him if you can, bring Bowen back. At worst, Pop can not play Finley over Jefferson and with Manu and Mason at the 2, there isn't many minutes there. I think he is alright as end of bench insurance and as a shooter in situational moments.

The additions of Jefferson and McDyess really give this team ridiculous depth. The only thing I see the team needing is a veteran PG that can get the ball up the court, and be decent defensively.

Spurs9
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
How does Bonner have a higher Salary than Finley?

SA210
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
What's missing

Bruce Bowen

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I was thinking Finley and Bonner would be shipped, but given that the salary cap is likely to plummet next year by about the combined size of their contracts, that suggests to me the FO are more likely to keep them and let them expire. Also, if you dump those two you're suddenly short on proven long bombers - we hear that Haislip and Gist can bomb it, but they are yet to prove it in an NBA game.

Nah, I reckon we're done, and I'm fine with that. :tu

Um, Bonner and Fin proved they didn't have it this year in the playoffs. Hell, Bonner spent half the time in the fetal position...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Ugh, Pritchard will never trade with SA. The Lakers and Mavs would trade with us before Portland.

K-State Spur
07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Holy shit. I would nut in my pants.

Manu/Mason
Jefferson/SJax

Wow.

actually, at that point, you're getting into the whole "only one ball to go around" issue.

as good as sjax is, with the roster in hand, you'd really like to have a defensive minded player who can just hit open jumpers/make the extra pass, i.e. raja bell if he hadn't lost a step.

Fabbs
07-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Whats missing? A good big next to Duncan.
Championships in 99 03 DRob, 05 Man from Nazr. 07 we got by with Fabs and the opponent being coached by Mike Brown.

Will Jefferson be the missing athletic 3 we've wanted and needed since SJax? We shall see.....

loveforthegame
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

I don't know who originally started the rumor that the spurs are involved in a Sign and trade, and this is basically me trying to connect the dots, but Mark Stein is reporting that there is a mystery 4th team involved in the Marion to Mavericks deal. Could it be the Spurs picking up someone like Anthony Parker. This could be just a bunch of crap, but we did pick up Ron Mercer years ago for nothing. Below is what Stein is saying:

TRADES: Four teams now in Marion deal?

Shawn Marion | Raptors

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported late Wednesday afternoon that the Dallas Mavericks and Toronto Raptors had successfully enlisted the Memphis Grizzlies to help facilitate a trade of F Shawn Marion from Toronto to Dallas, but Stein later tweeted that a fourth mystery team could become involved before all was said and done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-marionmavericks070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The 4th team is Orlando. Looks like they're s/t Hedo to Toronto while getting back a tade exception. Stack to Memphis, Wright/George to Toronto, and Humpries to Dallas.

ETA: Ric Bucher has the same deal reported but adds that Greg Buckner will also be going to Dallas.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Agreed. Get Camby!:toast

Which, ironically, is what Spurs fans have been clamoring for two years, no matter who we've gotten or not gotten (ie Blair, Dice, etc).

Again, get Camby!!!:king

How is Camby fitting in amongst TD/Dice/Blair/Mahinmi/Haislip? No to Camby, and there's no reason the Clips would send him here now given that they unloaded Randolph. I liked Camby as a last ditch trade possibility if we got nothing with the MLE, but he's irrelevent now.

We actually need these guys out of the picture so new talent can find the court. Pop is notorious for leaning on guys who "know the system"

We need to play the youngsters consistently and see what sticks. Bonner and Finley on the squad ='s two promising guys on the IR.

Decent point and yeah, that worries me a little. However, I'm hoping Pop learns the lesson of last year and plays his youngsters.

I think you stole exstatic's idea - he posted the same thing yesterday. I also think it's highly unlikely as there's not enough in it for Portland. Why would they give Fernandez away? Guy is going to be a great player. And we don't really need Joel now that we have Dice.

This is actually not out of the question. battier is in his 30s and has 2 years left on his contract. With the Rockets possibly losing yao forever they will likely want to get a 2010 free agent and need to create that space. So I am thinking battier or Scola or both will be in trade talks for this up coming season. I just hope the Rockets will help us out.

Battier would be an awesome fit here, and the trade works for Bonner and Finley. Throw in a pick and get it done!

(Unlikely though since Houston have never done a thing to help us out - they owe us a favour for Scola though... :lol )

Can't believe there is talk of Buckets. I'm the biggest Jackson fan I know, and I don't want him on this team. No room at all.

With McDyess jumping aboard, Bonner goes from liability to asset just like that.

He is now a big guy who can come off the bench, knows the system, stretches the floor and plays passable defense against mobile, perimeter type big men. For 10-15MPG off of the bench, particularly on a team with an older frontcourt you would like to keep fresh, Bonner is a valuable piece, particularly in the regular season, and with rotations shortening for the playoffs, you don't have to worry about him disappearing. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would like the Spurs to keep him.

Finley, meh. Get rid of him if you can, bring Bowen back. At worst, Pop can not play Finley over Jefferson and with Manu and Mason at the 2, there isn't many minutes there. I think he is alright as end of bench insurance and as a shooter in situational moments.

The additions of Jefferson and McDyess really give this team ridiculous depth. The only thing I see the team needing is a veteran PG that can get the ball up the court, and be decent defensively.

Great post.

Um, Bonner and Fin proved they didn't have it this year in the playoffs. Hell, Bonner spent half the time in the fetal position...

See emboldened bit of MI21's post. I don't envision them playing a role in the playoffs.

I don't understand why people think the Spurs need another Star caliber player

I really like what the FO has given us this year. We aren't playing a video game where you can grab 8 players rated really well and be guaranteed victories.

You have to take into consideration chemistry, player roles, minutes, match ups, etc. I think with what we have right now, we have already put ourselves in a place to contend this year. Like ANY NBA season a lot of it is going to rely on Pops coaching, some good luck, and hoping that we made the right moves and these guys catch on fast

super stoked on this season

This guy for FTW. Spot on. :toast

Hell, I thought the offseason was over but PhilaChamberlain has me lusting for Battier now... :bang :lol

Battier is the perimeter defender we're lacking. Imagine that swing rotation - Mason, Manu, RJ, Battier. They would chainsaw through starting and second units.

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Why would Houston give away Battier? He's the ultimate glue guy and their team is far too talented to look to rebuild.

jag
07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
How is Camby fitting in amongst TD/Dice/Blair/Mahinmi/Haislip? No to Camby, and there's no reason the Clips would send him here now given that they unloaded Randolph. I liked Camby as a last ditch trade possibility if we got nothing with the MLE, but he's irrelevent now.

3 out of the 5 players you mentioned are unproven in the NBA. That's how Camby fits.

If everything goes according to the "Spurstalk Plan" and Mahinmi is actually a French basketball god, Blair is the steal of the draft, and Haislip is something more than a former NBA washout, then the Spurs have the problem of too many talented big men. If, however, one or two of those young, unproven players demonstrate that they aren't ready....then the Spurs have Camby.

bishopospurs
07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I think right now we need a backup SF mostly

ulosturedge
07-09-2009, 12:43 AM
I think we are fine... If there is any trade i'm only willing to part with Bonner and Finley. I'd rather not give up Hill or Mason. Maybe Mason if it is definitely for a better piece to add to our roster.

Russ
07-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Get Bowen back.

Bowen plus another cheap big.

MaNu4Tres
07-09-2009, 12:46 AM
3 out of the 5 players you mentioned are unproven in the NBA. That's how Camby fits.

If everything goes according to the "Spurstalk Plan" and Mahinmi is actually a French basketball god, Blair is the steal of the draft, and Haislip is something more than a former NBA washout, then the Spurs the problem of too many talented big men. If, however, one or two of those young, unproven players demonstrate that they aren't ready....then the Spurs have Camby.

Great post. :toast

I was going to explain that as well. But you did it better than I would have.

Come close to the trading deadline if our young big men don't live up to the bill, Camby would make a lot of sense.

If your young bigs do live up to the bill, then we could turn our attention towards a wing like Raja Bell, Shane Battier.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 02:31 AM

If everything goes according to the "Spurstalk Plan" and Mahinmi is actually a French basketball god, Blair is the steal of the draft, and Haislip is something more than a former NBA washout, then the Spurs have the problem of too many talented big men. If, however, one or two of those young, unproven players demonstrate that they aren't ready....then the Spurs have Camby.

Or, the Spurs hang on to their trade bait (Bonner and Finley) while they trial their young bigs through the first 3 months of the season, and if things aren't working they trade for Camby in January, as Manu4Tres suggests. Sounds like a better idea to me.

Really, what is the point of bringing in all this youth and then signing so many vets that none of them ever get to play?

MaNu4Tres
07-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Or, the Spurs hang on to their trade bait (Bonner and Finley) while they trial their young bigs through the first 3 months of the season, and if things aren't working they trade for Camby in January, as Manu4Tres suggests. Sounds like a better idea to me.

Really, what is the point of bringing in all this youth and then signing so many vets that none of them ever get to play?

I hope Pop really lets the young pups loose and see's who sinks or swims the first 3 months of the year. ( On Bonner's watch as well)

Kind of like how Doc Rivers did with Perkins/ Powe/ Davis back in 2007/2008.

I think the best option is to hold on to trade fodder right now and see how that scenario plays out.

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 03:34 AM
As for PGs, is Shaun Livingston currently under contract?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2009, 03:45 AM

The issue with this idea is that youre essentially going to stifle the development of all those younger players. Camby is going to demand minutes as well he should. Unfortunately, every minute that we give Camby is a minute taken away from a young player to help him learn the NBA game.

At some point you have to trust your internal talent evaluation and give the young players the time that they need to develop. Even with McDyess on board, he and Duncan are going to have heavily regulated minutes from Pop which will give plenty of time for the young guys. Add Camby and there is no real time left over.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Agreed. There is NO SUCH THING as having too many bigs! Some will work out, others won't. This isn't a knock on Blair and Co., but if for some reason they weren't as NBA ready as everyone thinks (or due to injury), with Duncan, Dice, and Camby, you can still win a title without them. Duncan may very well only have 2-3 years left, and you can't play roulette with bigs, epecially if you have an opportunity to add Camby for for a few roleplayers.

Of course, maybe ALL OF THOSE YOUNG PLAYERS WORK OUT, you get Camby, and win the title, but it's overkill.

Well, overkill is FAR BETTER THAN underkill.

Most unfortunately, the Spurs know what that feels like the past two seasons.

To summarize: if you can get Camby for 2 or 3 roleplayers because the Clips want cap space, YOU DO IT.

YOU DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Agreed. There is NO SUCH THING as having too many bigs! Some will work out, others won't. This isn't a knock on Blair and Co., but if for some reason they weren't as NBA ready as everyone thinks (or due to injury), with Duncan, Dice, and Camby, you can still win a title without them. Duncan may very well only have 2-3 years left, and you can't play roulette with bigs, epecially if you have an opportunity to add Camby for for a few roleplayers.

Of course, maybe ALL OF THOSE YOUNG PLAYERS WORK OUT, you get Camby, and win the title, but it's overkill.

Well, overkill is FAR BETTER THAN underkill.

Most unfortunately, the Spurs know what that feels like the past two seasons.

To summarize: if you can get Camby for 2 or 3 roleplayers because the Clips want cap space, YOU DO IT. (1)

YOU DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.(2)

(1) At this point in the season, unlikely. Closer to the deadline, more likely.

(2) You're all about the "don't even think about it", eh? (even though you obviously thought about it!) :lol

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 04:03 AM
(1) At this point in the season, unlikely. Closer to the deadline, more likely.

(2) You're all about the "don't even think about it", eh? (even though you obviously thought about it!) :lol
:lol

Some deals require so little thought you have to round to "no thinking at all" in order to categorize them.

Someone might as well asked if I'd give up Bonner and Finley for 2004 Ben Wallace.

Are you crazy? Have you seen how he plays the game?

Sign him already, and let's have no more talk about it, lol.

Darkwaters
07-09-2009, 04:11 AM
If I were to make one move it would probably be to scoop up Nocioni (Finley+Bonner+Williams works).

Nocioni is that crucial combo forward we've been missing for a while. He can provide minutes at the 3 or 4 and plays tough defense and can hit the long ball. The young frontcourt will be strengthened by his play considerably and he can go where hes needed (3 or 4).

Then you sign Gist and McClinton and a veteran PG for the minimum to fill out the roster.

Hill
Veteran

Wings
Ginobili
Jefferson
Mason
Nocioni
Hairston
McClinton

McDyess
Blair
Haislip
Mahinmi
Gist

You can stick any combination of Gist/McClinton/Hairston and the Vet PG on the IR (and two of the former 3 can play in Austin.

NZ Spurs
07-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Does the signing of Marion by the Mavs provide more motivation to bring back Bowen?

Ice009
07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/07/09/sports/mj1308110.txt

"One rumor floating around had the Cavs sending guard/forward Wally Szczerbiak and forward/center J.J. Hickson to Charlotte for forward Gerald Wallace in a sign-and-trade."

If the Hornets want to salary dump Gerald Wallace, Pop should call up Larry Brown ASAP.

CGD
07-09-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/07/09/sports/mj1308110.txt

"One rumor floating around had the Cavs sending guard/forward Wally Szczerbiak and forward/center J.J. Hickson to Charlotte for forward Gerald Wallace in a sign-and-trade."

If the Hornets want to salary dump Gerald Wallace, Pop should call up Larry Brown ASAP.

Gerald Wallace's contract is terrible. Plus, it goes through 2012/13 with the last year as a player option worth over $11M. yuck!

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I follow the Kings and don't believe Nocioni is available. The Kings love him and he became an instant crowd favorite once he arrived.

tp2021
07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Bring back #12 and go get #5

mudyez
07-09-2009, 12:06 PM
not even a game played and I miss Bowen so much...it would be freakish to not have him on the team...furthermore I think, he fits what we need pretty good...

having a dependable defender agasint SG's, SF's and even some PF's would be nice to have...I'm all for giving our young players some time to show what they can do, but Bruce for a few bucks would be better than any other option I can think of...especially come playoff time (always nice to bring in Bruce against Kobe...and if its only for 6 minutes I'm fine with it too)

Ginnoobbllee
07-09-2009, 02:07 PM
With Dice signed, maybe Haislip is now expendable. He might have been signed as an insurance policy in case we didn't get a good big and with the lux tax, His salary costs the Spurs 4 million. He might be the sign and trade guy for a cheap backup point guard and a 2nd round pick.

I expect the rumored trade is a minor deal, not a big roster changer. I also don't expect there is much of a market for Bonner. Finley is still useful as a relief shooter for small minutes. He has hit some clutch shots for the Spurs even in the last two years.

Any trade will likely be a minor tweek and to relieve some pain from Holt's wallet, I expect.

The Spurs offseason moves are pretty much done. Bonner might be moved during the season towards the trade deadline, when his expiring contract would be less costly to a suitor.
:lobt2:

coyotes_geek
07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
The Spurs can't trade Haislip until December 15th.

kbrury
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
With Dice signed, maybe Haislip is now expendable. He might have been signed as an insurance policy in case we didn't get a good big and with the lux tax, His salary costs the Spurs 4 million. He might be the sign and trade guy for a cheap backup point guard and a 2nd round pick.

I expect the rumored trade is a minor deal, not a big roster changer. I also don't expect there is much of a market for Bonner. Finley is still useful as a relief shooter for small minutes. He has hit some clutch shots for the Spurs even in the last two years.

Any trade will likely be a minor tweek and to relieve some pain from Holt's wallet, I expect.

The Spurs offseason moves are pretty much done. Bonner might be moved during the season towards the trade deadline, when his expiring contract would be less costly to a suitor.
:lobt2:

At least see how Haislip plays in an NBA game before trying to trade him.