PDA

View Full Version : Avery's Contract extended: 4yrs/10mil

maxpower
04-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Reported on Ticket 1310 per the Fort-Worth StarTelegram...

Jimcs50
04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
:elephant :elephant :elephant

Well deserved.

Congrats AJ.

Hope you win it all some day.(After TD retires) :)

ducks
04-05-2005, 08:49 AM
good
he might be able to feed his family

Jimcs50
04-05-2005, 08:51 AM
good
he might be able to feed his family

Redbeans and rice

crawfish

yep that stuff is pretty expensive.

:)

maxpower
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/nba/dallas_mavericks/11314532.htm
Have to register

Posted on Tue, Apr. 05, 2005

Mavericks Notes

Johnson agrees to 4-year deal

By Art Garcia

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks agreed to a contract in principle with coach Avery Johnson on Monday, according to his agent, Scott Boatman.

Boatman and Mavs owner Mark Cuban met Monday morning, and approved the major components of the deal. Boatman or Cuban declined discussing terms, though league sources place the contract at four years and worth around $10 million.

"It was a good meeting," Boatman said Monday night. "We reached an agreement in principle. I look forward to meeting with the Mavericks' council and moving this agreement into writing. I believe it's a fair and agreeable deal that both sides can be happy with."

The contract has yet to be finalized, and it likely won't be signed until after the Mavs are through with the playoffs. The regular season ends April 20.

Johnson took over as head coach March 19 after the surprise resignation of Don Nelson. The Mavs are 7-2 under Johnson, who returned to the team last summer in a player/coach capacity and as Nelson's heir apparent.

Johnson, who officially retired as a player during the preseason, had signed a one-year deal at the veteran minimum of $1.1 million. The new deal brings him in line with the average for NBA coaches.

"The agreement recognizes the Mavericks' appreciation for Avery as a former player and assistant coach, and their confidence in him going forward," Boatman said.

Numbers up

Avery Johnson inherited the Mavs' head-coaching position with 18 games remaining in the regular season. He has coached half of them and, though the sample size is small, the results are encouraging.

Even with Sunday's 100-80 blowout loss at Cleveland, the Mavs (49-24) are performing better in several key statistical categories. The Mavs will shoot for their fifth consecutive 50-victory season tonight against Orlando to open a four-game stand at American Airlines Center.

The scoring average during Johnson's nine games (102.3) is exactly that of the first 64 contests, but the Mavs are allowing more than four fewer points per game (93.6).

Field-goal percentage defense is down to less than 42 percent, the Mavs' goal coming into the season.

Perhaps most encouraging is the play of Dirk Nowitzki, who has carried the team all season. Nowitzki is averaging three fewer minutes, but is averaging more points (26.8) and shooting better than 50 percent.

Nowitzki has settled into a routine of resting the last few minutes of the third quarter and several minutes to begin the fourth. The lengthy breaks have kept him fresh down the stretch.

"I actually feel pretty good in the fourth quarters," said Nowitzki, who is averaging 36.8 minutes under Johnson. "Some games I played a lot of minutes, and down the stretch I didn't have it anymore. I would drive and I didn't have any lift to finish under the rim.

"Those last three or four minutes of a tight game are what it's all about."

Rummpd
04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
What has he done to earn this? Let him win a few playoff series. I am not yet convinced he is the long term answer to an enigmatic team.

Carnie
04-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Redbeans and rice

crawfish

yep that stuff is pretty expensive.

:)

^RACK^ :lmao

To bad Holt and Pop did not see Aj's talent.

maxpower
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
His philosophy might have been enough...plus it's not as if Cuban would have to make a huge buyout in case he decides to go in a different direction.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I agree with the Rump. I'm not sure Avery's proven he's a head coach yet.

Although what's $10mil to Cuban?

SPURS-SPURS-SPURS
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
^RACK^ :lmao

To bad Holt and Pop did not see Aj's talent.

They did that is why he is in dallas and not with the spurs :lol :rolleyes

Spurminator
04-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Avery is an upgrade by virtue of not being Don Nelson.

Jimcs50
04-05-2005, 01:08 PM

2.5 mil/yr is pretty cheap...that is not much risk.

I think AJ will be a better coach than Nellie for that team. He will have them play D.

Banjo Boy
04-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Just like Pop in 1997?

Victor Newman
04-05-2005, 01:20 PM
They did that is why he is in dallas and not with the spurs :lol :rolleyes

That was one heck of a come back,
would you like a job with newman Enterprises?

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2005, 12:52 AM
whats the contract pop is on? whats his amount?

timvp
04-06-2005, 05:29 AM
AJ will retire as one of the best head coach in the history of the NBA.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
04-06-2005, 05:32 AM
whats the contract pop is on? whats his amount?

Pop is signed through about 2008.

whottt
04-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Hmmm...

It seems like its' going to be difficult for the Spurs to retire AJ's jersey while he is the head coach of another team...it seems like there will be scheduling problems...

Then again they could just do it at a Mavs Spurs game...

Since we are going to be in the habit of retiring jerseys of players who associate themselves with the Mavs and not the Spurs...I wonder when Brad Davis' jersey will be retired.

timvp
04-06-2005, 05:47 AM
The truth is that if Sean Elliott was the coach of the Mavs and Avery Johnson was the bubbly color commentator for the Spurs, AJ would be the most loved guy in town while Elliott would be the traitor with fans like Whottt trying to smear his career.

Fact.

whottt
04-06-2005, 05:56 AM
The truth is that if AJ acted even remotely like he appreciated what the Spurs did for him, and not like they were lucky to have him...and didn't talk shit after getting his butt smoked by Fisher, and taking the $$ to go eslewhere...

I wouldn't hate AJ.

Even DA didn't talk the crap that AJ has...you are still looking at AJ through the eyes of childhood adulation..

I am looking at AJ through the eyes of my wallet that AJ stole money out of when I was a season ticket holder...

Sorry TimVP but my view is closer to the way it actually is...I can see through his act...you don't want to see through it.

If we matchup with AJ in the playoffs and he talks shit you will see what I mean(and yes he will do that, bank on it)...

timvp
04-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Wah Wah :cry

Whottt can't take a little trash talking. Leaders are abrasive. They have to be tough. They have to tell it like it is.

You seem to following the wrong sport. Try wrestling.

whottt
04-06-2005, 06:10 AM
If AJ had ever backed up the trash he talked, and talked it to superstars instead of 19 year olds, I might be more forgiving of him talking it...

As it is...when he got fucking worked by backup PG's and coudn't hit a shot more than a foot way from the basket(actually he wouldn't even take them)...he'd blame DRob's lack of fire for it...I don't call any of that leading or walking the walk....

I'll give AJ credit for one thing...he is a master of playing to the crowd....but so was Hitler.

whottt
04-06-2005, 06:34 AM
All hate aside TimVP...

If we do meet the Mavs in the playoffs...how you think Duncan will do in that series?

Call it a hunch but I have a feeling Duncan will have the best playoff series of his career...I think he will play like he has something to prove....and I think he will prove it...Guess why? :fro

Useruser666
04-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I wonder if the Spurs can match that offer? :lol

Whottt, did you start hating Hulk Hogan when he went Hollywood? :lol

whottt
04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
To tell you the truth I stopped watching wrestling for pretty much all of Hulk Hogan's career...I like the old school wrestling I grew up on that predated the Hogan era...which has kind of made a comeback.

He is the worst wrestler ever, ...before Hulk no one was absolutely certain the outcomes were scripted...but he was such a shitty, stiff and fake looking in ring performer that it was obvious to everyone except kids, and he also was unentertaining in the ring.....Hogan made wrestling into a cartoon and it's a real shame that he is the name most associated with it, and his era is the one that everyone thinks of when they think of wrestling...he was pretty much a joke.

IOW don't call me a Hogan Fan...I always thought he sucked...You probably liked him more than I did...

The guys I grew up watching were Terry Funk, Jack Briscoe(an NCAA champion)Bruiser Brody, Ivan Putski(whose kids I grew up with and used to go see matches with)...even Bruno Sammartino.

Those guys weren't jokes, they'd beat the hell out each other and often need medical treatment after their matches, and a lot of them are seriously crippled now from entertaining wrestling fans...I know because I got to go backstage after many of their matches.

SPURS-SPURS-SPURS
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
AJ will retire as one of the best head coach in the history of the NBA.

:smokin

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

sa_butta
04-06-2005, 09:55 AM
"5-0, 5-0"

SequSpur
04-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Avery sucks and besides this belongs in the NBA forum.