PDA

View Full Version : So Im moving to Corpu Christi

dolacheck
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
for a job, that I finally got. Not the best job but one to pay the bills. So I need some information on the City. Like best places to live, places to avoid, restaurants, good places to fish :) Anything of that sort would be appreciated

DMX7
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Where are you moving from, San Antonio?

Slydragon
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
When you see this on tv come back to SA for a few days

http://www.philanthromedia.org/archives/hurricane.jpg

dolacheck
07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Where are you moving from, San Antonio?

Im moving from San Marcos

jcrod
07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Hope you're Caucasian or don't get offended by the confederate flag.

:lol JK, good luck with the new job.

Trainwreck2100
07-08-2009, 11:58 PM
dont get shot

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-09-2009, 12:05 AM
If you run across a foul mouthed little boy, don't lip off to his dad.

PakiDan
07-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Try to stay away from East and North Corpus. Definately do not live ANYWHERE in the West part of town, and BY GOD stay out of the Southside.... and by all means... stay out of the outskirts... If you keep away from these parts of town, you should be ok.

Heath Ledger
07-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Im moving to Tennessee where the condferate flag is welcome. My fiances bro in law has a General Lee, it is a blast driving around in that thing honking the dixie horn.

Dr. Gonzo
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Move to Bishop. It's beautiful and only 45 minutes away from Corpus.

BacktoBasics
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
The south side is pretty nice but for the most part its tough to define what are good areas and what aren't. This town is littered with neighborhoods that have 4 or 5 good streets followed but a few streets where things are run down. So your best bet is south to south west further twords the Bluff. But whatever you do don't move into the bluff.

Fishing is pretty solid everywhere. Once you pass the bluff and start heading to the island you can fish the red dot and cos way both of which are solid. Don't bother with the piers there just crawl underneath the highway and fish the opposite side or right underneath the highway. Its good there at night because of the big highway lights that beam down to the water. Then if you go all the way to the island you can fish Bob Hall pier. I'd stay away from fishing down off of Ocean drive because its just not that productive. Indian Point pier heading twords Portland is good and the bridge in Rockport is great over night fishing.

The restaurants pretty well suck here. There is a place called Batters Up on Webber its ok for burgers and beer. There are a million mexican food restaurants all of which are average to above average. There is a Saenz meat market that doesn't sell meat just Barbacoa and Lengua on the weekends. They're across from the HEB on Kostoryz. Its probably the only mexicany related food that I would consider well above average to great.

Your best bet is to just cook yourself. They sell live shrimp at the T-head downtown but don't buy it in the bait shop try and find one of the shrimpers hanging down at the piers there. There is also a guy that parks a big van down on the island with fresh fish. Looks scary but its always good. Moody's meat market on Alameda is easily the best meat market in town.

Be prepared to wait for shit in this town. No one is in a hurry to do anything for you. People don't return calls. I'm talking cable companies, storefronts, repair shops you name it and they're unmotivated to go the extra mile. Its like a weird Jamaican type attitude here...."I'll get around to it latta mon". I can adjust to just about anything but its one of the things about this town that I absolutely fucking hate. Its as if people don't want work in this town.

What else do you want to know?

JudynTX
07-09-2009, 08:26 AM

:lol :lol

bus driver
07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
the best place to eat is Whataburger!!!!! :lol
i think they have a website, whataburger.com

BacktoBasics
07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I just now caught that. :lmao

JudynTX
07-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I just now caught that. :lmao

I was wondering how long it would take you to get that. :lol

johnsmith
07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
The restaurants pretty well suck here. There is a place called Batters Up on Webber its ok for burgers and beer. There are a million mexican food restaurants all of which are average to above average. There is a Saenz meat market that doesn't sell meat just Barbacoa and Lengua on the weekends. They're across from the HEB on Kostoryz. Its probably the only mexicany related food that I would consider well above average to great.

Mac's barbeque ftw.

BacktoBasics
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Mac's barbeque ftw.I've eaten at the one here in town and yeah its pretty good but I hear the one in Portland is solid but I've yet to eat there.

SpursStalker
07-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I used to live in CC, we moved right after hurricane Celia ...

B2B, do you know where Whitehall Drive is?

johnsmith
07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I've eaten at the one here in town and yeah its pretty good but I hear the one in Portland is solid but I've yet to eat there.

I lived in Portland for about a year and we went to the one there almost every day. It's easily my favorite bbq of all time. I didn't even know they had one in town.

samikeyp
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Is the mini-golf place with the big dinosaurs on Leopard drive still there?

I always liked going to CC. One of the few places in TX outside SA I would live.

FromWayDowntown
07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
You have to come up with some tongue-in-cheek thing that CC can stand for. A friend of mine who lives there now says she lives in Crappy City, Texas. I preferred calling it Crapus Christi when I lived there.

BacktoBasics
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM
The Macs in town is on Alameda. I doubt the mini golf is still there because leopard street is a now a haven for prostitutes and druggies, the island has a kick ass putt putt layout so everyone just goes there. Never heard of Whitehall

Bigzax
07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
watch out for underage strippers and sorry to say, but Selena's boutique just closed it's doors so you've missed your chance for a bidi bidi bouffant.

SpursStalker
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
The Macs in town is on Alameda. I doubt the mini golf is still there because leopard street is a now a haven for prostitutes and druggies, the island has a kick ass putt putt layout so everyone just goes there. Never heard of Whitehall

If I remember correctly it's right off of SPID ...

Been so long I cant remember. LOL

gay abc
07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
born and raised there...... nolans steakhouse, blackbeards seafood, U&I restaurant, harveys barndoor, pete's chicken and more, of course whataburger are some of the places i liked - there are mexican restaurants every 3 blocks - that's what i miss the most from texas is good mexican food :sombrero:

slacker77
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I haven't been there in awhile, but everytime I went it felt like the city was always 10 years behind. I also remember there used to be like a mini 6th street down by the bay area.Wooly bullies, doc rockets, sharkys.Don't know if any of that is still around tho.

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
And don't waste your money on an apartment. B2B can hook you up with a styling mobile rig. When you see that big angry white cloud covering the gulf you can just hook up and haul ass and flip off all the poor folks that are stuck there boarding up their houses. Last time a really big hurricane hit Corpus the bodies were stacked up on the back of Nueces Bay like firewood and covered in cotton and oil like tar babies. It is Corpus's deep dark secret that their hurricane was probably 10 times worse than the 1905 Galveston hurricane as far as deaths but they just burned em, dumped them in the ocean by the barge load, and covered the whole thing up.

mookie2001
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
move to Bloomington, its a charming oasis about an hour from town

Dr. Gonzo
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Everyone will tell you that Kiko's is the best Mexican food in the city. Don't listen to them. It's alright but not the best. Any little hole in the wall place is better.

chode_regulator
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Where is this Corpu Christi?

dolacheck
07-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Where is this Corpu Christi?

lol I was waiting for someone to notice that. Ya I made a typo my bad.

So far ive been looking to move into either the portland area of around Calallen. My job is pretty much in the middle of town so its like 10-15 from either place it looks like. I would like to find a nice rental house to start off with, or if I cant find that a decent apartment complex. Do you have any suggestions B2B?

Fat Bones
07-10-2009, 03:08 AM
...Last time a really big hurricane hit Corpus the bodies were stacked up on the back of Nueces Bay like firewood and covered in cotton and oil like tar babies. It is Corpus's deep dark secret that their hurricane was probably 10 times worse than the 1905 Galveston hurricane as far as deaths but they just burned em, dumped them in the ocean by the barge load, and covered the whole thing up.

Just stopping by to say...HOLY SHIT! Really??!!!:wow

PM5K
07-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Hey when you get there see if they put cherries in the cherry limeade at Sonic in Corpus.

Thanks!

Buddy Holly
07-10-2009, 05:57 AM
Im moving to Tennessee where the condferate flag is welcome. My fiances bro in law has a General Lee, it is a blast driving around in that thing honking the dixie horn.

I thought you just moved to LV?

SpursStalker
07-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Hey when you get there see if they put cherries in the cherry limeade at Sonic in Corpus.

Thanks!

:lmao

I got that cause I read something earlier ...

BacktoBasics
07-10-2009, 08:14 AM
lol I was waiting for someone to notice that. Ya I made a typo my bad.

So far ive been looking to move into either the portland area of around Calallen. My job is pretty much in the middle of town so its like 10-15 from either place it looks like. I would like to find a nice rental house to start off with, or if I cant find that a decent apartment complex. Do you have any suggestions B2B?Calallen and Portland are both pretty decent. Calallen doesn't have a grocery store so you have to get your shit from Walmart and neither town has a meat market but its safe to say that both of those places are nicer and cleaner than Corpus.

Snickers
07-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Why don't you just live where you want to live?

dolacheck
07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Why don't you just live where you want to live?

Because ive heard how certain parts of the town are pretty darn shitty and I want to avoid those areas lol

I keep finding all bills paid condos in "downtown" that seem to be really nice, it just doesnt seem right.

like this place http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/apa/1263784696.html, scam?

LuvBones
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm also moving to Corpus next month to attend a&m.. anyone going there now?

chode_regulator
07-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Just stopping by to say...HOLY SHIT! Really??!!!:wow
yeah. it's called texas history 101

I'm also moving to Corpus next month to attend a&m.. anyone going there now?

your mom