PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who will be the Spurs' starting PF out of training camp AND at year's end

phxspurfan
07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I think it will be McDyess/Blair.

Reason:

Pop will obviously go with McD in the beginning and then use him in a reserve role toward the end of the year, because he's better off the bench and Pop will realize the starters will have enough punch without him...but will need more from his 2nd unit (first man off the bench come playoff time, like a Manu role).

loveforthegame
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I think it will be McDyess too.

Blair's energy just begs to go with Ginobli's off the bench.

ElNono
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Where's the Finley option?

loveforthegame
07-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Hasn't the Finley joke grown tired yet?

The Spurs are not making all these moves and spending all this money so Finley can be starting power forward or logging more minutes than Jefferson.

drpill
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM
McDyess, for sure. The interesting thing is there won't be very minutes most games where our team doesn't have the best rebounding forward on the floor. Dice goes to the bench and is replaced by ... the Beast With a Chip on His Shoulder? :wow

Plus 25+ of Tim Duncan every night?

Agloco
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Hasn't the Finley joke grown tired yet?

The Spurs are not making all these moves and spending all this money so Finley can be starting power forward or logging more minutes than Jefferson.

As long as he's on the roster, you know Pop's thinking about it.....

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Two Duncan's on one team?!?

Let's just go for the 10-peat, in that case.:king

ducks
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
you bring off the bench mcdyess and manu

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
McDyess is getting paid too much money to come off the bench. No other big man on the team other than Duncan is making that much money. The Spurs paid McDyess the money to come in and start next to Duncan.

It will take a monumental leap by Haslip, Blair or Ian to push McDyess to the bench.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh, and Duncan's the PF on this squad. The correct question is who's going to be the starting center on this team.

ducks
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
McDyess is getting paid too much money to come off the bench. No other big man on the team other than Duncan is making that much money. The Spurs paid McDyess the money to come in and start next to Duncan.

It will take a monumental leap by Haslip, Blair or Ian to push McDyess to the bench.

manu gets paid more

steve smith got paid more to SIT on the bench

ducks
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh, and Duncan's the PF on this squad. The correct question is who's going to be the starting center on this team.

dude duncan plays center has since david retired

YODA
07-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Kinda think Pops going to give everyone a chance a see where they best fit in the rotation. That being said, lets hope the youngs really are good enough to push dice out of startes role

Spurs da champs
07-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Mcdyess is gonna start and blair should get good minutes off the bench similar to him & maxiell in detroit.

DAF86
07-08-2009, 11:39 PM

No he isn't. He is the center and he has been the C for a long time now.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
dude duncan plays center has since david retired

So I guess Duncan ISN'T the greatest Power Forward to ever play the game then?

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM

Spurs official website has him listed as a PF.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/index.html?nav=page

Besides, how can he be labeled as the greatest power forward to ever play the game if he's been a center for a good chunk of his career?

anakha
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Regardless of what position he really does play, the Spurs have and always will list him at PF.

Hence my vote.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 11:45 PM
McDyess out of training camp. Tim Duncan at years end, with Camby controlling the 5 spot.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:46 PM
He doesn't play PF or C because the positions are pretty interchangeable just like the SG and SF positions.

But if you want to speak about what he technically is, that would be a PF, or as many love to call him, the greatest PF ever.

Kori Ellis
07-08-2009, 11:47 PM

He might be playing what many people would consider the center spot. But he is always listed and announced as the power forward. I'm guessing it will always be like that until he retires.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
manu gets paid more

steve smith got paid more to SIT on the bench

:lmao Nice one, ducks!

Actually, it's a good question. But yeah, I think Dice will start and play 28-30mins a game all season and into the playoffs.

Blair will be used in a Malik Rose role, ball of energy off the bench.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Totally agree on that. Why do people keep saying he's the PF, because the franchise does for the all-star ballot? He's been the C for years.

Sure, he's listed as the PF, but he's the C, and really the positions are interchangeable anyway, as Nathan said.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Steve Smith ended up playing behind some Argentinean player. Are you saying that Blair, Ian and Haslip will end up being better than McDyess?

Gino had a history of success in Europe, leading his teams to titles. Can you say the same about any of the current players behind Duncan and McDyess?

If the Spurs felt they were set at the 4 and 5 position, then they wouldn't have pursued McDyess. Make no mistake, he was brought in to start at the C position alongside Duncan.

DAF86
07-08-2009, 11:53 PM
He might be playing what many people would consider the center spot. But he is always listed and announced as the power forward. I'm guessing it will always be like that until he retires.

You're probably right. But that doesn't mean sh... and prove of this was last season where Bonner?! was listed as a C and Tim as a PF.

Nathan Explosion
07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
If I start a thread on any board asking who the greatest PF to ever play was, I guarantee more often than not Duncan's name will pop up.

Hell, how many threads here refer to Duncan as the greatest PF to ever play? Most of the people here call him a PF, and no amount of talk will change that.

To claim that he's a center and has been for a long time is to take away the title he so deservedly has.

Spurtacus
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Antonio 'Slice and Dice' McDyess

Kori Ellis
07-08-2009, 11:59 PM
You're probably right. But that doesn't mean sh... and prove of this was last season where Bonner?! was listed as a C and Tim as a PF.

Even if they started Tony Parker as the second big, Tim would be listed at PF. :lol So when you talk about talk about who will be playing center, then that won't be Tim.

duncan228
07-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Agreed. He'll always be listed as the power forward.

peskypesky
07-09-2009, 12:09 AM

i agree. as psyched as i am about blair's potential, that's all it is at this point in time. mcdyess is a proven veteran.

Tully365
07-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I think the thing I'm most excited about for Summer league is to see how Blair and Mahinmi play. The Spurs are still smallish compared to some other teams, and it would be great if a healthy Mahinmi showed that he can be counted on to provide some quality minutes. But if Mahinmi is thoroughly outplayed by the shorter and younger Blair, it could be a bad sign for him. If both look like interior forces, it's possible that the depth problems at the PF and C positions are on their way to being solved. I'm sure purely from a financial standpoint, the Spurs are hoping Mahinmi shows something impressive at SL, considering what a cheap option he is.

Summers
07-09-2009, 12:32 AM

Or until Yao Ming does. Otherwise, he never makes another ASG.

phxspurfan
07-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I definitely forgot about Mahinmi. Maybe for good reason...

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I say McDyess, time to play center Timmy.