PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter a perspective

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 12:39 AM
I found an old article from 2004 that further lets me believe that he doesnt want or will ever be playing with the Spurs. My opinion is that he went into the Draft thinking he would be a Lottery pick and because that wasnt the case he landed with the Spurs. Now, its only an assumption so dont get all crazy on me. I think we should trade his rights for a future pick or package him to sweeten the deal.

Tiago Splitter: "I think I'm not going to declare"
by Jorge Sierra / March 7, 2004 - Photo: Euroleague Pictures

Tiago Splitter - Euroleague PicturesYou've played a lot of minutes on your previous teams in the Spanish lower divisions. How do you handle the lack of playing time with your current club (Tau Ceramica, the best team in the Spanish league)?

Tiago Splitter: I think playing for Tau is the best thing for me. But getting used to this level now... It's much harder. I now have to earn my minutes when I play.

In which area of your game do you think you have improved the most this season?

TS: I think the main thing is toughness, because this is a league with much bigger people than LEB (Spanish second division) and that changes the whole thing.

Ever since you were a kid, you've been expected to become a star. Do you feel the pressure? Is that a problem for you?

TS: No, I think that is not is true. I've always played against older guys, older players and I feel no pressure. But I do have to prove why I play on a team with this level.

Had you stayed in Brazil, do you think you would have progressed the way you have in Spain?

TS: I don't know. I know there are a lot of players there that have not progressed as well as I have. It's hard to compare. It's something difficult for me to say.

Is there any player you look up to as a model? Gasol maybe?

TS: No, you have take the best of each player. You don't have to focus on one player only.

You are one of the most talked about draft prospects this year. Are you aware of all that?

TS: Yeah, well. I know there is a lot of speculation about me, but I don't worry much about that. Right now, I'm really fine in Europe.

What are your plans regarding the draft?

TS: Right know, I don't know yet. It depends on my agent and it also depends on how I play this season.

And what's your agent's advice?

TS: Right know -- the way things have gone this season -- I think I'm not going to declare. But well... If things change, I may change my mind.

What would you do if they give you a guarantee that you will be a lottery pick in the draft?

TS: I would have to look at it. The thing is, I have a contract with my team Tau Ceramica, and I would have to pay a buyout. But if I was a lottery pick and it was a good situation money-wise and I could afford to pay the buyout...

Do you how much is the buyout worth?

TS: No, no. I can't tell you that.

If you finally go to the NBA, how would you handle a situation like the one Darko Milicic is going through -- not playing at all?

TS: That will be another thing I would have to look at. I would have to get guaranteed minutes there. That's important.

Russ
07-09-2009, 12:43 AM
I think you may be reading a little too much into this article. :)

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 12:44 AM
I think you may be reading a little too much into this article. :)

Actually yeah I might be reading between the lines a little but it makes perfect sense why theres no movement with this guy or its another Scola scenario.

BillMc
07-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Of course, 5 years is an eternity in an athlete's career. I hope his atitude's changed, but we really can't know except by his actions.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Of course, 5 years is an eternity in an athlete's career. I hope his atitude's changed, but we really can't know except by his actions.

True. And I think his Agent has a lot of bad pull on Tiago.

Nathan Explosion
07-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Don't forget that Tiago's team is losing money and it's biggest sponsor. Oh, and in 2010 his buyout lowers if I'm not mistaken, thereby making it much more likely he'll come over.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Don't forget that Tiago's team is losing money and it's biggest sponsor. Oh, and in 2010 his buyout lowers if I'm not mistaken, thereby making it much more likely he'll come over.

I hope youre right but at the same time if his attitude is the same, he might just spurn the Spurs for another European team or League for more money, I just see a trend happening not just for our Spurs but across the League.

BillMc
07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
What I keep wondering is he worth all the wait and discussion?? Manu was dominating in Europe, we knew he'd be great when he came over, but Tiago???? Is he any better than Haislip? (I really don't know, that's why I am asking the question. How great has he been over there?)

bishopospurs
07-09-2009, 12:58 AM
I made this point before, so why doesn't Blake Griffin and all the rest of these lottery players just go make millions in Europe instead of paying dues in America? The machine running Tiago's business seems to be really ridiculous. He could start this year and get real minutes, even Yi Jianlin had a shot to prove himself. Just play basketball.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I think he definaetely would have helped 3 years ago, but to have him come in for Duncans last 3 years has me thinking it just might be better to trade his rights.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
The machine running Tiago's business seems to be really ridiculous.

That said it all right there.

bishopospurs
07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I think he definaetely would have helped 3 years ago, but to have him come in for Duncans last 3 years has me thinking it just might be better to trade his rights.
So who are we left with after McDyess retires, then Tim. There is no reason to get rid of a young 7 footer with potential, that is some ish that can look like Sam Bowie. Everytime I watch Scola a part of me feels like a Blazers fan.... not really, I can't imagine what it must feel like to be Blazers fan. Right now Oden vs. Durant isn't looking that great either.

Russ
07-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I made this point before, so why doesn't Blake Griffin and all the rest of these lottery players just go make millions in Europe instead of paying dues in America?

Not a real good analogy, comparing Griffin's willingness to "pay his dues" to Splitter's unwillingness

The reason that Griffin won't go to Europe and will "pay his dues in America" is because Griffin will make millions from day one in the NBA -- much more than he could ever make in Europe.

For the same reason, Splitter stayed in Europe -- he could make much more money playing there.

The difference between these two situations is explained by the NBA's 1st Round rookie salary structure. Although both Griffin and Splitter were 1st Round picks, their situations are like night and day because a top pick (like Griffin) makes many, many times more than a low 1st Round pick (like Splitter).

So it's not a difference between the character of Splitter and Griffin -- it's the system that dictates they do what they do.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 02:16 AM
So who are we left with after McDyess retires, then Tim. There is no reason to get rid of a young 7 footer with potential, that is some ish that can look like Sam Bowie. Everytime I watch Scola a part of me feels like a Blazers fan.... not really, I can't imagine what it must feel like to be Blazers fan. Right now Oden vs. Durant isn't looking that great either.

What we are left is with a role player in Tiago playing Center and no Tim, no Manu, Parker I sat bolts to L.A., and no Pop. So yeah were in the rebuilding mode after all that. So why not trade his rights or package his rights off with Finley, and Bonner and maybe get someone we can you for these last 3 years.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Not a real good analogy, comparing Griffin's willingness to "pay his dues" to Splitter's unwillingness

The reason that Griffin won't go to Europe and will "pay his dues in America" is because Griffin will make millions from day one in the NBA -- much more than he could ever make in Europe.

For the same reason, Splitter stayed in Europe -- he could make much more money playing there.

The difference between these two situations is explained by the NBA's 1st Round rookie salary structure. Although both Griffin and Splitter were 1st Round picks, their situations are like night and day because a top pick (like Griffin) makes many, many times more than a low 1st Round pick (like Splitter).

So it's not a difference between the character of Splitter and Griffin -- it's the system that dictates they do what they do.

Well explained.

SpursChampsIII
07-09-2009, 10:36 AM
That is a 2004 article. He has made many statements to the contrary lately. In fact, he wants to come to the NBA, but the only thing holding him back is the buyout of his contract this year, and the rookie salary he would have to receive. He can get more than the rookie salary next year, and he WILL be a Spur...they won't let him get away. This guy is a tremendous talent and he has the upside to be a Pau Gasol type player. He is at the right age (24) to improve his game before he hits his peak in 4 or 5 years.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I believe Tiago had a family member ill and needed the money to cover for those expenses. I don't think he was going to leave money on the table under those circumstances. Things have changed now.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

spurs4real
07-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I believe Tiago had a family member ill and needed the money to cover for those expenses. I don't think he was going to leave money on the table under those circumstances. Things have changed now.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You bring up a great point, just dont know if he needed the money to cover expenses as he already had money im guessing.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
You bring up a great point, just dont know if he needed the money to cover expenses as he already had money im guessing.

The Spurs couldn't offer more than the rookie scale, and on top of that he needed to pay his buyout clause out of his own pocket. That means he would most likely have lost substantial money until he could sign his first non-rookie NBA contract. Now, if he gets a career ending injury in his rookie season, then it's a bad, bad gamble.
He has collected some more good money now, and the Spurs could offer more starting next season. The situation with his family member has also stopped being a concern. If he's motivated to play in the NBA, I think next season could be it.