PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a feeling this offseason seems unreal?

Kamnik
07-09-2009, 04:04 AM
RJ, Blair, McDyess,...

It almost seems unfair :wow

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Stern own Pop a lot favors for keeping his mouth shut over the years!:lol

I guess it's time to collect!

Kamnik
07-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Get TD and then blackmail Stern... BRILLIANT!

CIA Popobitch! :D

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Surreal? Yes. It feels a little like Vanilla Sky.

Unfair? Hardly. All the big teams have improved... I guess that's unfair on everyone else though! :lol

It's very much a MAD (mutually assured destruction) arms-race kind of offseason with all the big players loading up to win now - the Cavs to try and keep LBJ, the Mavs to keep Dirk, the Spurs/Lakers/Celtics because their star players are soon to enter their respective twighlights (and yes, Kobe will decline soon - he's got a lot of mileage on those legs). The only team that has behaved strangely IMHO is the Magic - I don't think VC is a better fit for them than Turk/Lee/Gortat. Fascinating stuff.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-09-2009, 04:19 AM
It sure has been totally unexpected to take on a contract such as RJ's and spend the whole MLE on top of this, going $10+ mil above the cap...I wouldn't have expected us to even spend the whole MLE a month ago.

That said, it is by no means unfair.For years we've been fighting with teams who have been well over the cap - Lakers, Dallas, Phoenix, which has given them advantage.Now we can compete with them financially as well. There's nothing better anyone of us fans could have expected. Also, Pop and RC seem really focused this offseason ( comparing to 2007 offseason for example ), they seem like men on a mission. I'm sure there'll be more moves but probably by the trade deadline and not during the summer. Not that predictions have any validity anymore lol

Danny.Zhu
07-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Gasol's trade is fair.

slick'81
07-09-2009, 04:33 AM
the spurs started this whole ordeal by adding jefferson then lakers,magic,cavs,celtics etc all countered

its a lil surreal spurs have gone over the cap just to stay competitive but thats what they now have to do to keep pace

Slippy
07-09-2009, 06:23 AM
yah looking back at Spurs offseason history and their spending habbits it does make you want to pinch yourself. To remind yourself this is really happening. The Spurs have got lucky somewhat with the economic crisis hitting all fronts. One feeling i can't get away from though was when watching the Laker's road to the title, the amount of times i thought with a few key additions the Spurs could beat them. The rocket and Nuggs helped show that. That kind of thought as well as the TD window closing surely would of crossed Peter Holt's mind as well.

Kamnik
07-09-2009, 06:39 AM
yah looking back at Spurs offseason history and their spending habbits it does make you want to pinch yourself. To remind yourself this is really happening. The Spurs have got lucky somewhat with the economic crisis hitting all fronts. One feeling i can't get away from though was when watching the Laker's road to the title, the amount of times i thought with a few key additions the Spurs could beat them. The rocket and Nuggs helped show that. That kind of thought as well as the TD window closing surely would of crossed Peter Holt's mind as well.

I had the same feelings... Rox with a healthy Yao could/would beat them.

And Rockets aren't really a first class championship contender...

Man I cant wait for the season to start! I especially want to see Blair in action!

:flag:

VivaPopovich
07-09-2009, 07:13 AM
no, what was unfair was the Lakers and all the talent they held for as long as they did

we're just evening out the playing field ;)

urunobili
07-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Just get either Collison, Foster or Nocioni and It'll be a dream one... so far.. the best ever

Agloco
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
RJ, Blair, McDyess,...

Why do people leave McClinton off the list? He's arguably the best shooter in the whole draft.

DrHouse
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
:lmao wait until you win a game before you declare yourselves NBA champions.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
:lmao wait until you win a game before you declare yourselves NBA champions.

Read the thread again, Doc. No-one proclaimed us champions.

I think the OP's post is more a response to our FO's previously anemic off-season moves, versus all this spending and general acquisition of talent... we're just not used to it, you see!

Unlike Faker fans, we have a front office that doesn't usually pull off Pau Gasol for a bag of pork rinds trades, and nor do they usually spend much more than pocket change on FAs. We're a bit taken aback by it all.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I think this shows how full of shit most internet critics of the Spurs' front office have been. It's obvious that the front office has had to make some tough choices, and some outright bad deals (yes, that one) due to the constraint placed on payroll by ownership. Yes, it's a business. Holt et al have their reason for opening up the vault now and ignoring the luxury tax for the time being. Some might think that the franchise will be put on the block before long and I think there's something to that.

BacktoBasics
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I think this shows how full of shit most internet critics of the Spurs' front office have been. It's obvious that the front office has had to make some tough choices, and some outright bad deals (yes, that one) due to the constraint placed on payroll by ownership. Yes, it's a business. Holt et al have their reason for opening up the vault now and ignoring the luxury tax for the time being. Some might think that the franchise will be put on the block before long and I think there's something to that.I think one of the last things you would do if you're planning on selling is run up the debt.

peskypesky
07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
RJ, Blair, McDyess,...

I totally agree. I feel like I'm dreaming. First Jefferson. Then Blair. Then McDyess. Just an awesome off-season. Major props to the FO.:toast

I am so ready for next season. I feel totally confident that the Spurs are going to get Tim that 5th ring.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I think one of the last things you would do if you're planning on selling is run up the debt.

The Spurs are levering up?

It also wouldn't hurt to goose up revenues and beyond that, to have a winning franchise to sell with a plan for life after Duncan instead of continuing a slow death.

hater
07-09-2009, 11:22 AM
FO did their job.

Now it's up to the Coaching Staff and Players.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
FO did their job.

Now it's up to the Coaching Staff and Players.

And fans...

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
:depressed We might as well declare them NBA champions.

Well thank you, but there is a season to be played.
Can't win on paper bro. Ask the 2004 Lakers about that. :lol

tp2021
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
The Spurs are levering up?

It also wouldn't hurt to goose up revenues and beyond that, to have a winning franchise to sell with a plan for life after Duncan instead of continuing a slow death.

So when Tim leaves, Pop leaves AND the FO sells?

Hopefully Spurs fans don't learn a lesson that makes them miss Holt's ownership.

Spursfan092120
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Just get either Collison, Foster or Nocioni and It'll be a dream one... so far.. the best ever
we're strong in the forward position...we need a PG...Pop has said Hill and Jack won't be playing PG..so who's going to backup Tony?

ambchang
07-09-2009, 11:40 AM
The NBA is changing the last few years due to the combination of the CBA and the lousy economy.

No longer is the NBA a huge growth business like in the 80's or even the early 90's. Teams without a significant fan base nationally or internationally were forced to make business decisions over basketball decisions, especially those with mediocre cap management abilities and a long term plan.

When you look at the top of the NBA payrolls, you see teams like the Lakers and Celtics, which has a huge fanbase based on the decades of success both teams have had. When you go further down the list, teams like the Hornets, Wiz, and Jazz are looking to slash salaries because the luxury tax implications are just too large for them to take.

The NBA saw a few teams hording talent all the way up to the mid 80s. The salary cap was then put in place to level the playing field for all the small market teams.

The luxury tax was then put in place, and this actually shifted the balance towards teams with a steady stream of revenues and those with deep-pocketed owners. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks can take on the luxury tax because of their large market, while the Raptors, Rockets and Spurs look to capture international revenues with their high number of overseas players. The Mavs and the Blazers can take on contracts after contracts because of their owners, but this is not a sustainable model as owners don't get rich by continually investing in bad business.

The fact that the Knicks have failed to do anything significant despite their favourable position is astounding.

Anyways, the point is that the Spurs are beneficiaries of teams looking to shed salaries, and they are able and willing to take on this because of a strong local fanbase, as well as a large international following.

Of course, the Spurs have an amazing FO who manages the salary cap well, have great draft picks, and was able to identify team needs instead of always chasing the next best thing.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

tmtcsc
07-09-2009, 11:40 AM
No, I don't think it feels unreal. This FO (besides THE trade of a certain Argentinian), has historically done a great job of rebuilding the roster year after year around Tim Duncan. Just take a look at the starting line ups of all our Championship teams. I'm pretty sure they are all different.

I am thrilled that we have re-armed ourselves for next year but I am still very concerned about Tim's knees. That was terrible watching him struggle with extended wear and tear. I wonder how he's doing. Have the tendons strengthened ? Has he had the Sean Elliott surgery ? Will the summer rest be enough ? I hope so.

sananspursfan21
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
yah, the artest deal kind of nullifies the rj trade, i really thought the spurs were getting somewhere in the spurs vs. lakers race. but mcdyess was a nice step ahead. i'm excited to see if they make one more move and i really hope it's towards defense...

phxspurfan
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
They still have to play the games...

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
The FO did what they had to. Get as many rings as you can while you still have DUNCAN.