PDA

View Full Version : Now is the Time of Proving

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 06:04 AM
When the league allowed the Gasol trade, everyone else had to find and execute similar trades, just to stay afloat.

The Spurs were very fortunate to land RJ and Dice: most Spurs fans just expected the FO do drop off into oblivion, meaning be satisfied with 4 titles in the Duncan era, and not reach for more. After the 2007 season, and MOST ESPECIALLY AFTER THE 2008 SEASON, it seems the Spurs FO were not overly interested in paying the price of title contention. The price is luxury tax at least.

Now the FO ponied up, and the Spurs are legit. However, they'll have to prove themselves all over again. For the most part, the score or talent with the Lakers is pretty even, or even enough.

Now it comes down to who wants it more, assuming both teams are healthy. If the Spurs don't, they'll lose. If the Lakers don't, they'll lose.

I hope it's the Spurs that's the last team standing: with Duncan having won his 5th title and 4th Finals MVP. If so, he'll be only ONE TITLE AWAY FROM MATCHING JORDAN'S NUMBERS OF TITLES AS THE LEADING MAN. And he would have lead his team to it's 5th ring 5 YEARS BEFORE Jordan won his 5th. So, I'm hoping.

Either way, the Spurs FO ponied up, now it's up to the players.

Thompson
07-09-2009, 07:31 AM
We're more or less even for now; I kind of wonder if Pop's strategy vs. the Lakers would be to 'struggle' in games against them at least until the trade deadline, in the hopes of lulling them into a false sense of security. Otherwise you'd have to worry about another ridiculous trade (Luke Walton for Kevin Durant :bang).

SPURadic
07-09-2009, 10:01 AM
The Spurs shouldn't try and lul the Lakers to that false sense of security just because beating the Spurs also means a ton of confidence from the Laker players. It would be better to beat the hell out of them and leave them deflated and get their young guys frustrated so they won't be able to go all out in the playoffs.

I know you guys might say that the Lakers will be more motivated, and I agree, but a couple missed shots in a row at the start of the game will leave them wondering whether or not the beatdowns handed by the Spurs will again be on the agenda. It will be easier to take the air out of them when they are just motivated rather than confident imo.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
The Spurs shouldn't try and lul the Lakers to that false sense of security just because beating the Spurs also means a ton of confidence from the Laker players. It would be better to beat the hell out of them and leave them deflated and get their young guys frustrated so they won't be able to go all out in the playoffs.

I know you guys might say that the Lakers will be more motivated, and I agree, but a couple missed shots in a row at the start of the game will leave them wondering whether or not the beatdowns handed by the Spurs will again be on the agenda. It will be easier to take the air out of them when they are just motivated rather than confident imo.

Agree. The Spurs should be playing the regular season games against the Lakers like it's game 7 of the WCF.

With this new team, it's the Spurs who have to measure up: NOT the Lakers.

xellos88330
07-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Agree with you there SPURadic.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Agree with you there SPURadic.
Smart person.

Of course, that means you're old!

ffadicted
07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Duncan having won his 5th title and 4th Finals MVP

You never know, but I firmly believe Duncan's time of winning finals MVPs is done, especially with how insane parker's been playing lately

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
You never know, but I firmly believe Duncan's time of winning finals MVPs is done, especially with how insane parker's been playing lately

You may be right: but if Parker is going to lead the team truly, like Duncan has, he's going to have to step up OUTSIDE OF THE REGULAR SEASON.

All those high scoring games in the Playoffs are great: but he's going to have to do it against the Lakers, Celts or Magic in the Finals.

Don't get me wrong, he did in the 2007 Finals, but even then was debatable.

In order to come into his own, he'll have to attack the Lakers with all the ferocity he has and more. He'll have to REFUSE TO LOSE: and even including the 2007 Finals, he's NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Duncan has an many times, especially in the Playoffs.

So if really wants to be the leader of this team, he'll have to prove it.

Tully365
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Now IS the Time of Proving!... wait, are we talking basketball or world of warcraft?

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Now IS the Time of Proving!... wait, are we talking basketball or world of warcraft?
:king

SonOfAGun
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
If the race is tight in the west like it usually is, I wonder if Pop will continue throwing games mid-way through the 3rd knowing Holt just put his ass on the line....

Well not really, but money is money. Serious business.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 04:51 PM
If the race is tight in the west like it usually is, I wonder if Pop will continue throwing games mid-way through the 3rd knowing Holt just put his ass on the line....

Well not really, but money is money. Serious business.

Yeah, Pop can't just sit back and run the team on cruise control, only hoping to get the 2 or 3 seed, knowing the vets will deliver 7 times out 10.

This year, the Spurs are very young: which means they'll need a lot of coaching (ie not ALL yelling), and Pop will have to ACTUALLY PLAY THEM, because if the young players are going to be ready for the playoffs, then then they'll have to be thrown immediately in the fire of the regular season.

SonOfAGun
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I bet Pop will have to take this season more seriously to make sure the Rodeo Road Trip is more productive than last year's.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I bet Pop will have to take this season more seriously to make sure the Rodeo Road Trip is more productive than last year's.

Yep. This team is very young, but if if the difference between your young guys still being inexperienced when the playoffs roll around and getting the first seed, and truly letting the young guys play and getting the 3rd or 4th seed, I'D TAKE THE 3RD OR 4TH SEED ALL DAY LONG.

Because how battle tested the young players are will determine how far the Spurs advance: not the HOFs and Vets, as you know what you're getting from them.

EmantheSpursFan
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Yep. This team is very young, but if if the difference between your young guys still being inexperienced when the playoffs roll around and getting the first seed, and truly letting the young guys play and getting the 3rd or 4th seed, I'D TAKE THE 3RD OR 4TH SEED ALL DAY LONG.

Because how battle tested the young players are will determine how far the Spurs advance: not the HOFs and Vets, as you know what you're getting from them.

haha realgm had the featured player as Malik Hairston and it said that he was born in 1969! :wow

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/no_photo.jpgMalik Hairston
Jersey No: 1
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 220
DOB: Dec 31, 1969
College: Oregon

Notes: Malik is averaging 3.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and 0.9 assists per contest for the San Antonio Spurs in 2008-2009

:lmao

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
haha realgm had the featured player as Malik Hairston and it said that he was born in 1969! :wow

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/no_photo.jpgMalik Hairston
Jersey No: 1
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 220
DOB: Dec 31, 1969
College: Oregon

Notes: Malik is averaging 3.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and 0.9 assists per contest for the San Antonio Spurs in 2008-2009

:lmao

:lol:lol:lol

I see the media is now falsifying records to prove their "old" claims!!!

EmantheSpursFan
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
exactly! haha

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:06 AM
exactly! haha
:sombrero:

xellos88330
07-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Smart person.

Of course, that means you're old!

Aww come on. I'm only 28.

On another note, if you destroy a persons spirit/heart, they will be unlikely to fight back.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Aww come on. I'm only 28.

On another note, if you destroy a persons spirit/heart, they will be unlikely to fight back.

Agreed. The Spurs must play against the Lakers as if THEY'RE VERY LIVES DEPENDING ON IT.

Now is the time for action!

spurspokesman
07-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Come out the gate swinging and make it clear that we are back. Locked and loaded.
Get down or lay down LA.