PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dwight Howard for Tim Duncan?

LEONARD
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Hypothetical...based on talent and where they are in their careers right now (ie, ignore money)...

Would you be mad if the Spurs traded Duncan for Howard???

DBMethos
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd be beyond pissed. Duncan deserves to retire a Spur.

Texas_Ranger
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I'd trade Bonner!

Ditty
how bout your boyfriend spursdynasty for ghazi?

completely deck
you're fucking stupid

Duncan2177
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hypothetical...based on talent and where they are in their careers right now (ie, ignore money)...

It would never happen.

45 bank shot
LET's trade LEONARD for the real Terminator

loveforthegame
No way we trade Duncan but we could send them Finley and Bonner. If they play hardball we can throw in Mason too.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
If we're ignoring money, I'd like to have them both on the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Hypotheticals are like masturbation. It feels good while you're doing it, but in the end, you're just playing with yourself.

DJB
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Dwight Howard is the most overrated player in the NBA IMO. His finals performance was a joke and he should not be considered a great after that showing.

thOOdee
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Hypotheticals are like masturbation. It feels good while you're doing it, but in the end, you're just playing with yourself.

but it feels so good. creating hypotheticals that is.

waly.mg
07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Sometimes i answers this question, with another question

Do you trade your Mama or anyone of your family?

ˇNot your mother-in-lawˇ

mudyez
07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
are you stupid?: trading TD for Howard is like trading Bruce Bowen for a younger athletic wing.

never going to happen!

ElNono
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Where's SpursDynasty when you need him?

cornbread
07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
:lol

timvp
07-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd trade Finley for Howard as long as the Magic threw in a draft pick.

eyeh8u
07-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Howard will never be a a Duncan level competitor in the NBA. He has a weak will, its been 5 seasons and he has NO offensive game, he doesn't understand what being a leader or a tough player means, after he lost in the NBA finals he spent more time twittering with his fans that getting better. Both his basketball iq and real iq are low

FvckMavs
07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd trade Bonner!

If that is not enough, I would throw in Oberto by sign and trade.

mudyez
07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
can someone make a picture of Timmy in a green Spurs uni dunking over D12?

jack0fspeed
07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
You guys are homer knuckleheads.

Of course you'd trade Duncan for Howard. The Magic are title contenders because of Howard even if it isn't obvious to you. Do you honestly think a team featuring Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis would be a finals contender without Howard?

Howard is the best young center in the game and he'll be contending for championships for the next decade.

Duncan on the other hand, while still great, is struggling to stay healthy. He can't have many years left.

LEONARD

MI2rLv8Hkl4

angelbelow
i would be furious. to the point where i may not watch this season. trading duncan is like trading kobe right now, or trading jordan after they won their 5th going into the next season.

Spursmania
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Let's not start on this retirement stuff or trading talk about Duncan. Why would we trade Duncan? If not for him, we would not have won 4 rings.
Further, Duncan was having one of his best seasons this past year, but he had to carry the load so much in the regular season that he really got worn down, and then got diagnosed with tendonosis in February.

Also, it's not a serious possibility because the front office wouldn't trade him. Remember when he took a paycut to help the FO get some help. How many unselfish players are out there. Hardly any as they are rare. Duncan deserves our loyalty for numerous reasons to lenghty to place in a post.

Lastly, the majority of our fan base would not approve of trading Duncan. Duncan is the man and will always be the man until he retires.

We need to focus on the role players now and acquiring the best pieces we can, so we win another ring before it's all said and done.

mudyez
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM

google suggestions:
"nate over"
....DWIGHT
....HOWARD

"dwight over"
....empty

:bang

Spursmania
07-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Of course you'd trade Duncan for Howard. The Magic are title contenders because of Howard even if it isn't obvious to you. Do you honestly think a team featuring Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis would be a finals contender without Howard?

Howard is the best young center in the game and he'll be contending for championships for the next decade.

Duncan on the other hand, while still great, is struggling to stay healthy. He can't have many years left.

That's why you're a Mav fan and we are Spurs fan. We've won 4 Championships under Timmy. :toast

hater
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/carlos57775/SCobc6EL_hI/AAAAAAAABys/RG0y66Z3ZDY/s288/Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

jack0fspeed
07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
That's why you're a Mav fan and we are Spurs fan. We've won 4 Championships under Timmy. :toast

I'm a fan of Duncan's game and I give him his props. But you take a young superstar any day over an old superstar.

I love Dirk, but I'd trade him for Howard in a heartbeat. And Dirk hasn't shown anywhere near the wear and tear that Duncan has shown.

Obviously Duncan has been the man and he's delivered for you. So you all feel sentimental and loyal. No problem with that. But come on ...

41times
07-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Would you be mad if you won 2 or 3 more Titles in the next 5 years?

Hell No you wouldn't.

Loyalty is great. Winning Championships is even better.

If i were a NBA GM there are only 2 players in the entire NBA that i would not trade for Dwight Howard in this order: LeBron, Kobe.

doobs
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
I would make this trade. Duncan is still the better player, but Howard has many productive years ahead of him. (He still needs to learn some damn post moves, though.)

I would also trade Parker for CP3 . . . Manu for Kobe . . . RJ for LeBron . . .

Muser
07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Whilst we're on the crack pipe how about a Fin/Bonner for Kobe/Gasol trade?

coyotes_geek
07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Beno, Barry and the rights to Scola is as far as I'm willing to go for Howard.

DBMethos
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

It's called loyalty. Then again, I'm not sure if most Dallas fans really understand that, seeing as how you all booed Finley.

blizz
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
i'm getting tired of these moronic trade questions. they're just as stupid as the ones that ask them.

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 02:24 PM
No. Never. You stupid?

jack0fspeed
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
It's called loyalty. Then again, I'm not sure if most Dallas fans really understand that, seeing as how you all booed Finley.

Hey, we appreciate the good years Finley gave us. But if he's playing for the bad guys? You're damn skippy we're gonna boo him.

manu_maniac
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
This guy is more than a troll. He's an effing heretic! No true Spurs fan would ever suggest trading Duncan.

LEONARD
07-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I mean, Howard is such a beast though...it would be hard not to pull the trigger on the deal IMO...

Leetonidas
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
You Maverick Fans will never understand. Even though Dwight has more upside and is way younger, I would never trade Tim for anyone. After all he has brought us, he deserves to retire a Spur.

edgar
07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=loveforthegame;3540998]No way we trade Duncan but we could send them Finley and Bonner. If they play hardball we can throw in Mason too.[/QUO haha

mazerrackham
07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Of course if we had no affiliation to the Spurs franchise, it would be easy to say, oh wow, Howard has many good years ahead of him and is a dominant defensive force. Who knows how long Duncan can still play, this trade would be good.

But first of all, there is the loyalty. As someone that's been a Spur his whole career, it would be slighting Tim Duncan, one of the greatest Power Forwards of all time, to trade him. Second of all, we just built a team around Duncan that has a shot to win it, I think everyone would prefer to see how it plays out next year. Finally, this hypothetical is about as likely to happen as trading Bonner for Pau Gasol, so of course your post is being treated lightly with homerism.

bigfan
07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I wouldnt trade Tims used stinking sneakers for that dope addict Howard.

VivaPopovich
07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes, I would be mad. It's not Spurs basketball to act like the Lakers and dump your respected talent for whatever was hot at the moment. We have yet to see if Dwight will be as consistent as Duncan was over the years.

That was such a dumb question. That's like asking us if we'd have gotten mad if we traded David Robinson in his final season for then Yao Ming or Amare Stoudemire. We'd be freaking furious. Spurs basketball is about family and respect, and that would be an insulting move.

LEONARD
07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
You Maverick Fans will never understand.

Oh...

Trimble87
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
If the hypothetical is: Who would you start a team with, right now? Then my answer is Dwight Howard obviously. But would I want Duncan traded form the spurs? Hell no. I wouldnt trade Timmy for Lebron James. I want him to retire in a spurs jersey.

LEONARD
07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
If the hypothetical is: Who would you start a team with, right now? Then my answer is Dwight Howard obviously. But would I want Duncan traded form the spurs? Hell no. I wouldnt trade Timmy for Lebron James. I want him to retire in a spurs jersey.

Hmmm...maybe we should start another thread?? :flag:

wildbill2u
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM

In a heartbeat. Young superstar on upside of career for aging superstar on downside of golden career is a no brainer from a business point of view.

It will never happen. Although the Spurs traded Gervin there were some other issues involved at the time.

Duncan does deserve to retire as a Spur so you bring him back out of retirement for a ten day constract like they did with Johnny Moore. (althought that was really just to give him the required time to make him eligible for the NBA retirement plan.)

Sigz
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I'll fucking trade Ducks.

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Would the fans approve? Yes
Would the Spurs FO do it? Yes
Would Orlando be stupid enough to do it?? No...

See the "new" mavs in the playoffs.. If they get there. :D

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
No way. If any player is a keeper, it's Duncan.

/thread

DynastySpurs210
07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
um what if we trade Tim Duncan to the Memphis Grizzlies for Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo!!http://www.nba.com/media/grizzlies/gay_mayo_conley-080929-jm435-300.jpg

41times
07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Of course if we had no affiliation to the Spurs franchise, it would be easy to say, oh wow, Howard has many good years ahead of him and is a dominant defensive force. Who knows how long Duncan can still play, this trade would be good.

But first of all, there is the loyalty. As someone that's been a Spur his whole career, it would be slighting Tim Duncan, one of the greatest Power Forwards of all time, to trade him. Second of all, we just built a team around Duncan that has a shot to win it, I think everyone would prefer to see how it plays out next year. Finally, this hypothetical is about as likely to happen as trading Bonner for Pau Gasol, so of course your post is being treated lightly with homerism.

See this is where fans go wrong. Athletes don't give a crap about loyalty when the money is dangled in front of them....ala Steve C-Nash. So why should the fans be as loyal. Karl Malone leaving to try to win a title. Same for Shaq same for KG same for any player who wants to win a title. The teams have 1 goal. Win a championship

Don't let loyalty get in the way of winning Championships.If someone offered Dwight Howard to the Mavs for my fav player Dirk, I would hate to see Dirk go, i love his game, but Dwight Howard is many years younger and gives us a better chance to win a Title and that is the name of the game. Winning.

mazerrackham
07-09-2009, 10:02 PM
See this is where fans go wrong. Athletes don't give a crap about loyalty when the money is dangled in front of them....ala Steve C-Nash. So why should the fans be as loyal. Karl Malone leaving to try to win a title. Same for Shaq same for KG same for any player who wants to win a title. The teams have 1 goal. Win a championship

Don't let loyalty get in the way of winning Championships.If someone offered Dwight Howard to the Mavs for my fav player Dirk, I would hate to see Dirk go, i love his game, but Dwight Howard is many years younger and gives us a better chance to win a Title and that is the name of the game. Winning.

Sure, athletes aren't as loyal as the fans that support them, but that's not the debate here. You do know this is a forum of fans, not NBA athletes, right? So that changes nothing. Secondly, the difference in trading duncan and trading any of the other examples you mentioned, is Duncan's already won 4 championships and is a part of the winningest franchise of the past decade (that was at least the case not including last season, dunno about including last season). Also, as most analysts realize, the Spurs have retooled and are considered a contendor. That is not the same situation as trading a star from a losing franchise to "try to win a title"

SouthTexasRancher
07-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Lay off the water in DallASS. It is polluted in case you didn't know. It eats away what few brain cells Mavettes fans have.

Admiral
07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Some of the current Spurs fans were not around in 2000 when it was rumored that we were going to trade David Robinson to the Knicks for Latrell Sprewell and Kurt Thomas. Who knows how legitimate that rumor was or how close it came to happening, but most people here were against it (for loyalty if nothing else). There were certainly a few Spurs fans who wanted to do it, though. It was an interesting and hotly debated topic.

Purely from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense to trade Tim Duncan for Dwight Howard. Howard is much younger with a ton of upside, plus he's a classy guy. He would fit in well in San Antonio, and I'd love to have him. But Tim has been the cornerstone of our franchise for a while now, and is the major reason why we remained a contender after DRob retired. The fact that he's remained loyal to the franchise, despite some tempting offers from other teams, should be rewarded. It would just be wrong to trade Duncan now, just as it would've been wrong to trade DRob then.

superbigtime
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Typical response of someone who just doesn't get it. Howard might be a promising young player with garish numbers, but he'll never be half the player of say, Patrick Ewing.

LEONARD
07-10-2009, 08:01 AM
um what if we trade Tim Duncan to the Memphis Grizzlies for Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo!!http://www.nba.com/media/grizzlies/gay_mayo_conley-080929-jm435-300.jpg

That would be hard to pass up IMO...

41times
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Would the fans approve? Yes
Would the Spurs FO do it? Yes
Would Orlando be stupid enough to do it?? No...

Here's a Spurs fan that gets it.

Dwight Howard > Today's Duncan

Spurs + Howard > Todays Spurs w/Duncan

Spurs + Howard > Future Spurs with Duncan

HarlemHeat37
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Howard is better than Duncan by default due to age..there's no way we would be better with Howard though..he isn't nearly as versatile as Duncan, and Timmy's versatility is a huge part of this team..his passing creates a lot for his teammates, and so does his high-low game, both parts of Howard's game that don't exist..Howard also has limited ability to score against big defenders, because he has a limited game outside of 2-4 feet..

Orlando obviously wouldn't do the trade either..both teams would clearly get worse with the trade..

Duncan pre-injury was playing just as well as Howard though, which is saying a lot when you consider their ages..

jack0fspeed
07-10-2009, 02:58 PM

There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. You've just crossed it my friend.

sammy
07-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Hell No! :bang

mazerrackham
07-10-2009, 04:54 PM
There's a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. You've just crossed it my friend.

I didn't realize how dense you guys are. We've already explained it multiple times. It would be a smart move logistically, but it would never happen and the question, as directed to fans, is if we would want it to happen, not whether it would make sense. Are you sure he's the stupid one?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 06:59 PM
/common sense

Duncan is the only untouchable player on the roster.

Trade him, and you might as well trade everything he brought: 4 titles, finals mvps, playoff battles, playing through injuries, beating Shaq and Kobe Lakers twice, 2 mvps, all defense and all nba selections, double doubles, rock sold defense for nearly 12 years, etc.

Without Duncan, this franchise would not have won 1 title, or even appeared in the Finals.

Even suggesting this is silly.

z0sa
07-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Howard contending for ten years? Maybe. But it won't be because he's a better player or leader than Duncan. Howard doesn't have a killer instinct. Before this season, it seemed like every year Orlando was getting beatdown by some far superior squad come playoff time. Howard isn't truly a game changer yet.

Has Dwight improved substantially since he was drafted? Of course. So have the Orlando Magic. But in an NBA game, 5on5, Tim is still the best bigman in the game.

nadie
07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
So now the mav fans' primordial aim for their team is to win a championship? So how come everytime the spurs and the mav square off for the playoffs and the issue of the number of rings the spurs have is raised, the mav fans are enraged?

Strike
07-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll fucking trade Ducks.

I don't think Orlando would be willing to give up Howard for Ducks. Howard's dirty underwear, maybe. But not Howard himself.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't think Orlando would be willing to give up Howard for Ducks. Howard's dirty underwear, maybe. But not Howard himself.
:rollin

Evan
07-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Duncan is the only untouchable player on the roster..

is he?

Ace9
07-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Howard > Duncan and will be for the next decade. If your a cold, heartless SOB then you push that button; but all that Duncan has done for this organization, he at least deserves to go out as a Spur. Anyways, this hypothetical theory is stupid considering the Magic would not bite for that trade. :lol

ducks
07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
howard has to many holes
duncan>howard

adrienne
07-11-2009, 08:31 PM
If you gave me the option of a career Howard or career Duncan, it'd be Duncan every time. At this point, though, I'd be all about Howard. Then again, I have no attachment to Duncan as he's been nothing but a thorn in my side for years.:lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Its never going to happen so its a moot point but we're talking about a 23 year old center who just put up 21/14/3 versus a 33 year old first ballot hall of famer that put up 19/11/2 and has a degenerative knee condition.

I love Duncan but from a pure utilitarian standpoint you have to take Howard in this one. You can argue all day long about what the two will do next season but you can reasonably expect similar production from Howard for the next 10 years. You cannot say the same thing about Tim.

raspsa
07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I wonder what Howard's game will be like when he is 34? Will he even be in the league at 34?

SpurOutofTownFan
07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
No, will never happen. Mark my words.

I take you base your hypothesis solely on the fact that Howard is younger than Duncan.

That alone could never be the sole reason for a trade.

Supreme_Being
07-12-2009, 12:16 AM

I'm not surprised you said that. You're a Mav fan after all.

FkLA
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Youre an idiot.

Its a thing called loyalty. Timmy stayed with us when he couldve went to Orlando to play alongside Grant Hil. He made us relevant in the NBA, he got us four titles. He has taken pay cuts to help out the team financially.

Now explain to me why the fuck we would trade him? I dont give a fuck if the Cavs call and tell us theyll trade LeBron for Duncan, my response will be 'fuck you'. Click. This man deserves to retire a Spur, and have a statue of him made at the entrance of the AT&T Center.

Spursone
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Please put down your pipe before starting a new thread!

:downspin:

cheney212
07-12-2009, 02:22 AM
this question doesnt deserve to even be posted dwight will never be near duncan even when duncans in a casket

spursjustice
07-12-2009, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't even think about it. Howard is an awesome talent but what Timmy has brought to the Spurs in the past decade will never be forgotten. Furthermore, his tank isn't empty yet. Nonetheless, out of respect & loyalty, I wouldn't even consider a trade.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-12-2009, 04:10 AM
I wonder what Howard's game will be like when he is 34? Will he even be in the league at 34?

Its more like I wonder what Howards production will be when hes 27 and in his prime and Duncan's retired.

SonOfAGun
07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
If Duncan had Howard's physique he would have been the greatest of all humans to ever play basketball.

Bukefal
07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
What a stupid thread. no one would ever trade timmy.

LEONARD
07-13-2009, 07:32 PM
So it appears that most would not be for this trade right now??

4RINGS
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Trade Dirk for Howard, that is an even trade... neither guy is a WINNER!!:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

LEONARD
07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Gortat and Lewis for Duncan maybe??

Chieflion
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Gortat and Lewis for Duncan maybe??
Spurstalk has reached a new low.

ElNono
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Bonner for Howard's used sneakers...

dbreiden83080
07-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Fedor for BJ Penn Straight up..

bishopospurs
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Duncan is still>>>>>Howard

poeticism707
07-14-2009, 04:27 PM
:toast

Jose Ole
07-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I would trade Finley for a box of Froot Loops and Bonner for a case of Bacon Bits.

Muser
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I would trade Finley for a box of Froot Loops and Bonner for a case of Bacon Bits.

We might have to send some first rounders to get that done.

Evan
07-14-2009, 05:06 PM

How so? Explain please.

Evan
07-14-2009, 05:07 PM
What a stupid thread. no one would ever trade timmy.

you can't totally write it off tho

ffadicted
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM
If Duncan had Howard's physique he would have been the greatest of all humans to ever play basketball.

If Allen Iverson had Lebron James' physique, he'd probably still be making max contracts and having a couple of rings.

If Matt Bonner had Howard's physique, he would probably be an all star.

If Duncan was 8 inches smaller, he probably wouldn't be an NBA Player.

Should I go on :wakeup

4RINGS
07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
you can't totally write it off tho

Dirk is the guy who should be dealt. That is when the Mavs will be able to start to built a real team. A defensive minded team, until then the Mavs will just be second rate. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

FkLA
07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
How so? Explain please.

Howard's offensive game is way too raw, even as beat-up and worn down as Timmy is his offensive game is still miles ahead of Howard's...all he does is rely on his athleticism and the fact that he's bigger than alot of players. Timmy has the whole package. Howard may get the nod on the defensive end, but Duncan is no slouch on that end...even at his age he is still one of the best defenders and rebounders in the league.

Give me Timmy over Howard right now. A couple a years Howard will be better, but even at his peak Howard will not come close to the player Duncan was in 02-03 when he won back2back MVPs.

LEONARD
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Howard's offensive game is way too raw, even as beat-up and worn down as Timmy is his offensive game is still miles ahead of Howard's...all he does is rely on his athleticism and the fact that he's bigger than alot of players. Timmy has the whole package. Howard may get the nod on the defensive end, but Duncan is no slouch on that end...even at his age he is still one of the best defenders and rebounders in the league.

Give me Timmy over Howard right now. A couple a years Howard will be better, but even at his peak Howard will not come close to the player Duncan was in 02-03 when he won back2back MVPs.

Not a bad breakdown actually...

hmmmmmm

Still debating this one though...

TDMVPDPOY
07-15-2009, 12:07 AM
How so? Explain please.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

LEONARD
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
When in doubt, reply with 4 Rings...

LEONARD
07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think it's a trade you have to do...

LEONARD
08-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Howard and Rashard Lewis for Tim maybe?

Shifty
08-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Many have said it, although I feel they haven't nailed it yet. I'll give it a try:

As much as I love Howard, he is not a guy you can win a title if he is your best player. Period. He might average 25pts, 15rbs and 5blks but he is not someone you can depend on for your offense. Again, as some have said, I wouldn't trade an in-his-prime Amare for a in-crutches Duncan, regardless of age, the level each player can take you is very different. With Duncan, you can build your whole team's game around him, both on offense and defense while if you build your offense around Howard's then you are pretty much screwed. The only reason Orlando was so succesful was the dynamism and matchup problems of Hedo and Lewis plus Howard playing off them and not the other way around. If you have Howard or Amare in their primes, you would still need one awesome team around them to be considered a contender, a nice team would only make you first round fodder. With Duncan in his prime, an otherwise below average team is a contender and good team is almost a mortal lock for a championship. With Duncan in the twilight of his career you still have a VERY GOOD shot with a good team. Just so you know, next year roster is the best team Duncan has had and they are not that amazing either. He is that good that he has won 4 titles already!

If you have noticed, I have not even mentioned the loyalty for staying and also taking less money when he was up for a max contract. Not to mention that many fans would rather see Duncan retire a Spur than winning a couple more championships without him. The titles happiness and loyalty would be gone after a few years. Letting go of Duncan would take decades for the franchise to recover.

What do you think Spurs fans, did I get it?

SpurCharger
08-09-2009, 02:13 AM
I wouldnt Trade Timmy For Anyone In the NBA..... he Deserves to retire A Spur.

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Hell to da mutha effin no!!

Bynum >>>>>>>> Howard, and i am talking about right now.

Muser
08-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Hell to da mutha effin no!!

Bynum >>>>>>>> Jesus, and i am talking about right now.

Fixed.

Chillen
08-09-2009, 05:52 AM
It would never be possible to get equal value for a player as legendary as Tim Duncan, it's like trying to trade Michael Jordan. Duncan deserves to retire a San Antonio Spur, he's the guy like Jordan (Bulls 6 NBA titles) who gave this franchise the 4 NBA titles (the Admiral helped him win 2 of them). You don't trade away greatness no matter what. He is also one motivated player looking this season (if health permits) to put the Spurs back on top again as NBA champs.

mystargtr34
08-09-2009, 07:16 AM
In theory, if your talking about two players strictly in the present, with no regard for the past, then yea - you would be stupid not to make that trade if your the Spurs. Your getting a guy who can be a dominant defensive force for 10 years, for a guy who will only play for another 3 years.

But in reality, no, you wouldnt trade Tim Duncan, because of what he's ment to your franchise.

callo1
08-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I would make the opinionated assertion that Timmy is further ahead of Dwight in basketball IQ than Howard is ahead of Timmy in athletic ability, therefore I say no.

Keep in mind that I am also somewhat myopic in my viewpoint due to my great respect of TD and the entire Spurs organization. As someone else stated, TD deserves to retire a Spur.

Looking back on my greatest NFL idol back in the '80s and '90s, Joe Montana (My team was still the Cowboys), it was a travesty that he didnt retire a 49er. Montana as a Chief never set well with me.

In a day and age where we see so much player movement, I would like to think that the Spurs would break the mold and retire TD as a Spur. I think that is what is in the plans anyway. The Spurs have been great at taking care of their own in the past, let us not forget the VERY generous parting gift that AJ got during his final year as a Spur.

dbestpro
08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I guess this will always go on. Trade the old for the young. Could it happen? Not for Howard. We did send Gervin packing towards the end of his career. If George can be traded then anybody can.

LEONARD
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I wouldnt Trade Timmy For Anyone In the NBA..... he Deserves to retire A Spur.

LeBron?

Blackjack
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
LeBron?

Maybe Silva...:hat

Slydragon
08-20-2009, 03:48 PM

If you had a crystal ball and it said that if we pull the trigger on this we would win a championship the next year.

I would still say Hell Noooooo

carrao45
08-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm a fan of Duncan's game and I give him his props. But you take a young superstar any day over an old superstar.

I love Dirk, but I'd trade him for Howard in a heartbeat. And Dirk hasn't shown anywhere near the wear and tear that Duncan has shown.

Obviously Duncan has been the man and he's delivered for you. So you all feel sentimental and loyal. No problem with that. But come on ...

This

carrao45
08-20-2009, 05:10 PM

Spur Fans hate finley and call for him to be traded, and then they call themselves loyal

spursfan09
08-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Spur Fans hate finley and call for him to be traded, and then they call themselves loyal

Finley has not meant anything to the Spurs franchise the way he has to the Mav franchise. Any sensible fan of the NBA can understand that. :rolleyes

DaBears
08-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Right know in the careers if you were trying to win a championship this year i would not trade TD for Howard. But if were talking in the next year or 2 then i would trade TD. Even if Duncan went to another team in his last yr of his career He'd always be remembered as a SPURS. He'd go into the Hall of FAME as a SPURS player. Players come and go but the team will never will.

LEONARD
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Jake Voskuhl?