PDA

View Full Version : Just to bash..

mfanatic
07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
On the Mavs, thinking they're contenders...

Parker > Kidd
Manu > Marion
Jefferson > Howard
Duncan > Dirk
Big Mike > Gortat

THE END =)

angelbelow
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
most of them cannot grasp the obvious. this thread probably wont convince them =/

GoSpurs99
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
allas, here we come!!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
To quote the ooolllleeee ball coach Corso, "Not so fast my friend."

The big thing that jumps out at me about that Mavs line up versus the Spurs is rebounding, which is where the Spurs were worked over the hardest in 06 as well. Marion's not quite the athlete he was when he was 26 years old, but he's still got some hops. The kind of size disparity that Howard would throw at any SG the Spurs have is a point of concern. And Kidd will have two athletic wings that can get out and finish on the break.

I'll still take a healthy Spurs team over them in a seven game series, but there's no denying that they've gotten better this offseason. If Odom were to leave LA I'd put the Lakers and Spurs on the same level with the Mavs just a step back of those two in the West.

hater
07-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I hate when ppl do 1-1 comparisons. :pctoss

it's just dumb

benefactor
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Give the Mavs credit. They are doing everything they can to remain relevant...depending on what you relevance measuring stick looks like.

jack0fspeed
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Setting aside the homerish nature of this thread, it is interesting that both Holt and Cuban felt so strongly that their teams could contend that they invested heavily in upgrades.

The Spurs season ended badly. And had the Mavs run into the Nuggets or the Lakers in round 1 it wouldn't have been pretty either. Both teams can claim injuries affected things. But I wonder whether either team is as close as they seem to think they are.

objective
07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
A reasonable arguement could be made that the Mavs have kept pace with the Spurs, and are actually better because of it (because they started ahead of the Spurs, even with Manu).

Add Marion and Gortat and lose nothing, maybe Brandon Bass and less time for Hollins, that's it. (if Gortat isn't matched)

Even if Gortat doesn't expand his numbers to match increased playing time, he's still a good player for the 15 minutes or so he's proven he can play, an improvement for the Mavs front line.

Still have Barea and Terry off the bench. Marion is past his prime but still had a good season with Toronto, now with the pressure off in Dallas it's a good fit, hell, they got him for nothing.

Spurs added McDyess and Jefferson, and unprovens in Blair, Haislip and Mr. Glass.

Spurs have a great chance, but the Mavs aren't pushovers. How many people trashing the Mavs now picked the Spurs against them when it was pretty obvious how outclassed the Spurs would be before the series?

oligarchy
07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Not only that, but the matches, as presented aren't really favorable to the spurs.

bishopospurs
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Dallas has a good starting five, but depth wins games, no point to compare starters

timvp
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Parker > Kidd
Manu > Marion
Jefferson > Howard
Duncan > Dirk
Big Mike > Gortat

THE END =)

Pop is that you?

quentin_compson
07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I hate when ppl do 1-1 comparisons. :pctoss

it's just dumb

Yes, and it shows very little understanding of the game. :toast
The best thing is the "Manu > Marion" thing, though, as if they would play the same position or even play the same kind of role for their teams.

As great as our offseason has been, I wouldn't laugh at the revamped Mavs, either.

DrHouse
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't understand why Spur fan continues to trash the Mavs when an absolutely horrible Mavs team trashed the Spurs 4-1 last season despite not even having HCA.

Spur fan doesn't really have a leg to stand on right now, you can't hide behind your '07 championship anymore. Those days are long gone.

iilluzioN
07-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't understand why Spur fan continues to trash the Mavs when an absolutely horrible Mavs team trashed the Spurs 4-1 last season despite not even having HCA.

Spur fan doesn't really have a leg to stand on right now, you can't hide behind your '07 championship anymore. Those days are long gone.

because we played the mavs without Manu.

Mavs fans thinking they are all that. :lol

MARION TO SAVE THE DAY! :lol the player who always chokes in the playoffs

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
If the Mavs lose Bass, I think that hurts them considerably and undermines the "free" additions in Gortat and Marion. Also, I think Orlando could still match Gortat. If not, signing Bass puts Cuba way over the luxury tax. Kind of funny to see him shell out and extra $20 million a year for no championship. Surely that will come back to haunt his wallet one day.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM

You hid behind your 2002 Championship for 7 years. We have 5 more years to go to even be on par with your hypocrisy.

Gutter92
07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
You hid behind your 2002 Championship for 7 years. We have 5 more years to go to even be on par with your hypocrisy.

Agreed.

mazerrackham
07-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Not everyone is bashing the Mavs, I think their improvements have been good. Not everyone bashes the Lakers either, but that's obviously what you hope for in life with your constant stating of opinions that you know less than 5% of the posters here will agree with. Seems like you just seek out arguments. Good day.

DxB
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
how come everyone forgot josh howard? he fuckin killed us in the playoffs!

41times
07-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Parker > Kidd
Manu > Marion
Jefferson > Howard
Duncan > Dirk
Big Mike > Gortat

THE END =)

I think this is once again a dead heat. The two teams always seem to match up well. i am a little disappointed Manu was out last year because that made it easier for the Mavs. But make no mistake, both teams did a fine job improving themselves.

And as Spurs fans know the bench is very important. If Manu gets hurt again this year they are better off than last year but both of these teams have to be absolutely healthy to have a chance against the Lakers.

But love the matchup again this year.

Rick Von Braun
07-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Pop is that you?

:lmao

Danny.Zhu
07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
It seems to me that the two teams are on the same level.

Tony+Hill=Kidd+Barea
Manu+Richard+Mason=Marion+Howard+Terry
Tim+Antonio+Bonner=Dirk+Gortet+Dampier

carrao45
07-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Give the Mavs credit. They are doing everything they can to remain relevant...depending on what you relevance measuring stick looks like.

Hmmm sounds like the Spurs.
Although admittedly the Spurs are doing a better job of it

EmantheSpursFan
07-09-2009, 09:47 PM
It seems to me that the two teams are on the same level.

Tony+Hill=Kidd+Barea
Manu+Richard+Mason=Marion+Howard+Terry
Tim+Antonio+Bonner=Dirk+Gortet+Dampier

almost agree but Kidd is going to be a year older and tony should stay the same speed so tony wins that easily, next i think Hill or McClinton is going to be our Barea killer!! haha
:wakeup

rjv
07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
the mavs still need to play defense and there is nothing that indicates they will be doing this any better than they have in the past.

carrao45
07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Not really. The NBA is about match ups. If Manu is guarded by Anthony Parker then the Spurs will likely exploit that weakness when the Cavs will also have the LeBron>Jefferson strengh going for them.

I'm pretty sure he meant the idiotic Player A>Player B comparisons that people use to predict winners in Games/Series

vander
07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I think the mavs will struggle on offense.

none of the guys they brought in can create thier own shot, and Kidd's ability to create shots for others is dwindling every year.
Terry and Howard both relied on quickness and athleticism to generate offense and Terry at least is on the downslope of his career, Howard has probably reached his ceiling also and is now only getting older.

they are going to rely more than ever Nowitzki, Good teams will shut down Terry and Barea, maybe even Howard...

pressurez
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I think Marion will make things very tough for the Spurs. I expect them to use him in multiple positions - though he's traditionally a SF, I see them using him primarily as a SG and PF. Both positions allow him to play with their other forwards, Howard and Nowitzki, on the floor.

As a SG, his length would make for a tough match-up, particularly if Manu's not 100% healthy. And Marion's ability to rebound as a 2-guard would really hurt us (with Kidd that would easily be the best rebounding backcourt in the league). In the flash of a substition (say Terry in for Dampier), Marion becomes the PF, Dirk moves to center and Duncan is forced into a very difficult defensive assignment. The Mavs have used this at the end of games against Spurs (Dirk as the lone big man) and it generally gives us fits. Obviously I don't like Duncan having to guard Dirk at the 3-pt line, and putting him on Marion would really tie up his legs - maybe we're forced to play zone?

On the other end it's not a great match-up for them, but I'd rather have Dirk guarding Duncan than Duncan guarding Dirk (I absolutley love Tim, but there was a reason Dirk was 1st team All-NBA last year and not TD). And then, while it's a struggle for us having one big out there, I can't imagine we'd have another, say McDyess, Bonner, Blair, etc? So who, Finley, Mason, Hill?

And Gortat's a nice addition for them as well. In the Denver series they got killed by the athletic bigs - along with Marion this will help.

I think RJ will be a more valuable addition for us than Marion for Dallas OVERALL, that is throughout the season. But in the team match-up, I fear Marion's versatility may trump him. Hopefully this is just my natural tempering of enthusiasm, go Spurs...

SouthTexasRancher
07-09-2009, 10:38 PM

Could you put that post in English for us? TIA