PDA

View Full Version : Spurs still interested in Davis?

Duncan2177
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-07-08-free-agents_N.htm

By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

Allen Iverson is working out this week.
Just not for any NBA teams.
Iverson is in his hometown of Hampton, Va., for a week of public appearances, including a four-day basketball camp that began Wednesday.
Iverson, 34, is one of the NBA's top remaining unsigned free agents, but he's facing a major pay cut. He made more than $21 million last year with the Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons but is probably headed for no more than a mid-level exception deal ($5.85 million) — and perhaps the veteran's minimum ($1.3 million).

"That says a lot about the economics of the league," ESPN analyst Tim Legler said.
Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, waiting to sign an extension to see whether the club is serious about building a championship contender, welcomes the idea of signing Iverson.
"With AI, you look at a guy who is one of the best to ever put on an NBA jersey," Wade said in an interview with Miami's WQAM-AM radio this week, "a guy who can still score in the right offense, in the right flow. So you can never turn your nose up at a guy like Allen Iverson."

Miami, which hopes to be a big player in the 2010 free agent sweepstakes, has been quiet this summer. But Wade isn't sure that's a good idea.

Already in the Eastern Conference, the Cleveland Cavaliers have traded for center Shaquille O'Neal, the Orlando Magic acquired guard Vince Carter (although they likely will lose forward Hedo Turkoglu to the Toronto Raptors) and the Boston Celtics on Wednesday signed forward Rasheed Wallace.

"Just because there are a lot of free agents (in 2010) doesn't mean we're going to get one," Wade told The Miami Herald. "With other teams getting better, we don't know what's going to happen, positive or negative. If we can be proactive and get someone now, then let's get proactive."

Clubs might think the sooner the better after the NBA projected a significant decrease in the 2010-11 salary cap. The union for the players, the NBA Players Association, is upset over the warning, saying the NBPA has no basis to confirm the projections.

The Herald reported the Heat has been in contact with Iverson but would want him to sign a one-year deal, something Iverson is considering.

"The fact that Dwyane is there and (club president) Pat Riley has something to do with personnel, it seems like a great situation," Iverson told the Herald. "I just want a situation where I can win and be happy. Being that those two guys are there, man, it just seems it'll be a good deal."

Legler isn't so sure Iverson would mesh on a team featuring Wade: "His game is so unique, and he needs a unique personnel set around him. The Detroit experiment put to bed the notion that he can be a piece to put you over the top."

Other clubs got right to business Wednesday, the first day for signing free agents. The Los Angeles Lakers came to terms with 6-7 forward Ron Artest, who said after competing against Kobe Bryant, "I always wanted to be a teammate of his."

The move, Legler said, makes the Lakers favorites to win the NBA title again in 2010.
The Celtics' shakeup might not end with the Wallace signing. According to The Boston Globe, general manager Danny Ainge is pursuing Phoenix Suns free agent forward Grant Hill, 36, who this week met with the New York Knicks.

The Globe also reported restricted free agent forward Glen Davis is receiving interest from the Pistons, San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Hornets. The Celtics, who also like Davis, can match any offer he receives.

The Pistons signed free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, formerly of the Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks, respectively.

But several players are choosing to stay with their current teams, including Nuggets center Chris Andersen, Lakers guard Shannon Brown and two Atlanta Hawks, center Zaza Pachulia and guard Mike Bibby.

The Spurs continue to add pieces in an effort to dethrone the Lakers in the West, reaching a deal with Pistons free agent forward-center Antonio McDyess. He joins a club that has added forward Richard Jefferson and drafted forward DeJuan Blair.

The Dallas Morning News reported the Mavericks were trying to work out a sign-and-trade deal for Raptors forward Shawn Marion, 31, a good defender who would play well in Dallas' up-tempo game.

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
With what Money? It's not going to happen.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
We can't offer him anything but the vet min. :lol

DBMethos
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Not happening. Don't want it to anyway.

crc21209
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Shows how much this guy knows...:lol

bigdog
07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
This guy obviously doesn't know anything about current contract, salary cap, and luxury tax situations.

bishopospurs
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
This guy doesn't know what he is talking about, unless there was a sign and trade that went down somehow. Could you imagine uniting Matt Bonner and Brian Scalabrine? Some red pubes galore in the locker room.

hater
07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
unlimited Taco Cabana?

VivaPopovich
07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
parker
gino
jefferson
duncan
mcdyess

hill
mason
bowen
dejuan
mahinmi
gist
mcclinton

we're set.

galvatron3000
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
useless, need size (height, not weight)or perimeter backup

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
With what Money? It's not going to happen.
:lol

timvp
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
The McDyess signing was extra sweet due to not having to consider the prospects of signing Big Baby. Oh man, that would have sucked.

z0sa
07-09-2009, 04:00 PM
The thought of signing Big Baby made me vomit.

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
This is the S&T Robinson was alluding to. Finley and Bonner for Big Baby.

The Celts are begging for this trade. Finley goes with Grant Hill for aging has-beens, and Bonner is another bone for the white boy Beantown faithful.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:18 PM

The Celts are begging for this trade. Finley goes with Grant Hill for aging has-beens, and Bonner is another bone for the white boy Beantown faithful.

Wow. I'd have to do that trade in a quick second.

How do you know the Celts are eager to deal Davis?!?

Link if available, please! Thanks!

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow. I'd have to do that trade in a quick second.

How do you know the Celts are eager to deal Davis?!?

Link if available, please! Thanks!

That was all tongue-in-cheek, alas.

Spursmania
07-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Well it certainly sounds plausible.

barbacoataco
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I thnk the writer was working with info from before the Spurs signed Dyess. At least I hope that the Davis talk was only a fall-back plan if Dyess fell through. Of course if the Spurs could unload Finley and Bonner and get Big Baby I think that is a deal.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
parker
gino
jefferson
duncan
mcdyess

hill
mason
bowen
dejuan
mahinmi
gist
mcclinton

we're set.

Why do people keep thinking the Spurs will resign Bowen? He's not coming back. The Spurs are moving on, in a new direction. Bowen is more likely to retire.

rjv
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
this interest was probably before the mcdyess acquisition.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 10:35 PM
The Spurs still have the LLE! Shit.

skervy
07-09-2009, 10:43 PM

But Boston could still match so i doubt its enough to get him anyways.

ace3g
07-09-2009, 10:55 PM

now the Spurs can go after maybe a Rodney Carney if they decide to waive a player or make a trade where they ship out more then they receive

ducks
07-09-2009, 10:56 PM

boston would match
I would rather they offer either booner or finley for big baby

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh god, not this shit again.. -_-

EricB
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I thought the LLE was used on Haislip?

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 11:05 PM

In one McDonald's articles it says the Spurs signed him to a 2 year deal for the vet minimum.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 11:06 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130924

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 11:06 PM
unlimited Taco Cabana?

:lol

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Nope: according do McDonald, it wasn't.

ulosturedge
07-10-2009, 01:25 AM
RC and Pop are going to wait to see what they got now before they make any more moves. And it sounds like a good idea to me. I'd rather not waste the LLE getting something we don't really need atm. We need to see who is going to pan out first.