PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Shoes part 2

Cry Havoc
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Well, I think there was an old thread running around here about kicks, but I haven't seen it forever, so I thought I'd make a new thread.

I'm looking to get some new shoes to hoop in. What shoes do you like/dislike, and where do you find good deals on shoes to play in?

ORION
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Well, I think there was an old thread running around here about kicks, but I haven't seen it forever, so I thought I'd make a new thread.

I'm looking to get some new shoes to hoop in. What shoes do you like/dislike, and where do you find good deals on shoes to play in?
Right now I'm playing in some black And 1's but the shoes don't make the man

Rip-Hamilton32
07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
the hyperdunks are awesome, i had a pair for basketball this year and will get another pair next year for ball too

Cry Havoc
07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Right now I'm playing in some black And 1's but the shoes don't make the man

They can break him. Mine are starting to come apart and the traction is wearing. I don't necessarily want anything crazy, just a good solid shoe that doesn't cost $150.

koriwhat
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
the best shoe i have ever worn and played in were some nike vc4's i believe.

i'd buy another pair if i could find them at a decent price.

phxspurfan
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
The baby blue/white leather Starbury's are the pair I play in now. They were like $15 at Steve and Barry's.

My old shoes were my 2nd favorite...the New Balance basketball shoe...forgot what #. They were cheap but the support was awesome.

Then the #1 shoe I've ever owned for ball was a pair of blue/white Team Jordans. I got em in 03 for 39.99.

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I know you don't want to spend a boatload on shoes, but if you ever were going to, then you really need to get the Kobe IV's. They're the Ferrari of basketball shoes. Greatest of all time. The shoes don't make the player, but these shoes are literally so light and comfortable that you will move quicker and jump higher. No bullshit.

tlongII
07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I know you don't want to spend a boatload on shoes, but if you ever were going to, then you really need to get the Kobe IV's. They're the Ferrari of basketball shoes. Greatest of all time. The shoes don't make the player, but these shoes are literally so light and comfortable that you will move quicker and jump higher. No bullshit.

This.

ManuTP9
07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
only shoes i wear are Jordans and Nike dunks , nike dunks are really comfortable

Cry Havoc
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM

For real? I found some online for $75.... very tempting.

ORION
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
They can break him. Mine are starting to come apart and the traction is wearing. I don't necessarily want anything crazy, just a good solid shoe that doesn't cost $150.

I agree and thats why I stick with And 1

Rip-Hamilton32
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
the worst shoe i ever bought was the LeBron Soldier 2s they are heavy and have very little ankle support IMO stay away from any Lebron shoes

bdictjames
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
As long as they're comfortable to play with, I'm good.

BlackSwordsMan
07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
red kobe IV's look pretty badass

BlackSwordsMan
07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
but I'll stick to my hemp adidas

Cry Havoc
07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
the worst shoe i ever bought was the LeBron Soldier 2s they are heavy and have very little ankle support IMO stay away from any Lebron shoes

I disagree. Kevin Garnett 1s are not only the worst basketball shoe, but the worst piece of apparel I've ever owned.

Huge, heavy, super-wide base that your foot slides around in, and paper thin but STIFF ankle support near the top of your ankle.

I sprained my ankle FOUR times wearing this shoe, the last being severe enough that I did not walk on it for a month. Never before using it, and never since have I sprained either ankle.

Had I linked the spraining to the shoes, I would have considered a class action lawsuit against And 1 for that shoe. It caused me SO much pain because it would literally pop my ankle out when I moved laterally on it.

I think I'm gonna buy the Kobes, even though I hate him. :lmao

Cry Havoc
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Okay, I'm heading to Niketown in Chicago today to get fitted for the Kobe IVs so I can buy them online. Win!

Quick question: In your experience, do the Kobe's run small or larger? I normally wear from 10.5 to 11.5 and my foot is slightly wider than normal. I'm leaning towards buying 11.5s. Any advice on this? Thanks.

monosylab1k
07-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Okay, I'm heading to Niketown in Chicago today to get fitted for the Kobe IVs so I can buy them online. Win!

Quick question: In your experience, do the Kobe's run small or larger? I normally wear from 10.5 to 11.5 and my foot is slightly wider than normal. I'm leaning towards buying 11.5s. Any advice on this? Thanks.

The Kobes run a little bit small for sure.

Cry Havoc
07-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok so normally I'm an 11, but Kobe's only come in 11 or 12. What should I buy?

tlongII
07-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I believe Kobe's come in 11.5.

Cry Havoc
07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, I couldn't find any Kobe's in 11.5, but I dropped by Finish Line today in Chicago. I tried on a ton of shoes, and ended up buying the ones that fit my feet the best (I have wide feet, so either the side of my foot gets pushed in, causing cramping, or there's not enough room for the inner part of my foot). Cost more than I wanted to spend, but at least now I'm covered to ball for the next year or two:

http://www.geeksneakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/nike-hyperdunk-chris-bosh-pe.jpg

That's them, minus the "4". Can't wait to try out the Hyperdunks tomorrow.

KidCongo
07-14-2009, 03:18 AM
I'm picking up a pair of the white ones with the purple soles. Looking foward to using them after the reviews from people here and online.

Chief
07-14-2009, 03:41 AM
i dunno that much about shoes but definately buy them from eastbay.com
they're alway's having sales or giving out discounts.

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 10:16 AM
lol

fat people playing basketball in brand new shoes

http://65.254.73.64/images/Starbury/StarburyBeachWhite.jpg

Are you referring to me? I'm willing to bet I have less body fat % than you do. I'm 5'10" and I weigh 165 pounds.

Starbury's are junk. There is no tongue to cushion the top of the foot, the heel wears out fast and can fly apart DURING a game, the high top clamps down on your ankle and makes it impossible to move laterally, they have abysmal padding (it feels like you're wearing a stiff piece of cardboard rather than something designed to provide padding and support), and the leather actually bends into your foot. I felt like I was getting a blister after wearing it for 5 minutes.

alamo50
07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I just got these from eBay:

http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/air-jordan-2009-s23-limited-edition.jpg

And these from Eastbay:

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/air-jordan-pure-pressure-5.jpg

These are my first ever Jordan's.

Phillip
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Are you referring to me? I'm willing to bet I have less body fat % than you do. I'm 5'10" and I weigh 165 pounds.

Starbury's are junk. There is no tongue to cushion the top of the foot, the heel wears out fast and can fly apart DURING a game, the high top clamps down on your ankle and makes it impossible to move laterally, they have abysmal padding (it feels like you're wearing a stiff piece of cardboard rather than something designed to provide padding and support), and the leather actually bends into your foot. I felt like I was getting a blister after wearing it for 5 minutes.

The ones in the picture that 4cc posted were quite good (for me anyways). I have had them since they first came out (I think 2 or 3 years ago), and only about 3 or 4 months ago did they finally start to fall apart. But they were pretty comfortable, gave me solid support, and kept their grip for a long time. But any other kind of the Starburys are total crap.

Now I have a pair or Jordans, which are nice. But I would MUCH rather get some Hyperdunks or Kobes. Those are amazing. :wow

tlongII
07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Kobes are the same thing as Hyperdunks. They just are lower.

ORION
07-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I disagree. Kevin Garnett 1s are not only the worst basketball shoe, but the worst piece of apparel I've ever owned.

Huge, heavy, super-wide base that your foot slides around in, and paper thin but STIFF ankle support near the top of your ankle.

I sprained my ankle FOUR times wearing this shoe, the last being severe enough that I did not walk on it for a month. Never before using it, and never since have I sprained either ankle.

Had I linked the spraining to the shoes, I would have considered a class action lawsuit against And 1 for that shoe. It caused me SO much pain because it would literally pop my ankle out when I moved laterally on it.

I think I'm gonna buy the Kobes, even though I hate him. :lmao
The problem might not be the shoes but rather the stabilizing muscles in your hips. Having weak hips can lead to frequent ankle sprains.

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
The problem might not be the shoes but rather the stabilizing muscles in your hips. Having weak hips can lead to frequent ankle sprains.

But see, the thing is, I've NEVER sprained my ankle since I stopped wearing the KGs several years ago. Never had an ankle sprain before, either.

The ones in the picture that 4cc posted were quite good (for me anyways). I have had them since they first came out (I think 2 or 3 years ago), and only about 3 or 4 months ago did they finally start to fall apart. But they were pretty comfortable, gave me solid support, and kept their grip for a long time. But any other kind of the Starburys are total crap.

Ah, ok.

Now I have a pair or Jordans, which are nice. But I would MUCH rather get some Hyperdunks or Kobes. Those are amazing. :wow

I tried the Hyperdunks out today, just doing some warm up stuff. They are INCREDIBLE. I can run SO fast in them, and the traction is absolutely amazing.

dickface
07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Kobes are the same thing as Hyperdunks. They just are lower.

They're close but not the same thing (besides Kobe's being low tops). Kobe IV's are even lighter and the cushioning doesn't wear out nearly as fast. That's the one bad thing about Hyperdunks, they're badass shoes but you'll notice the cushioning wearing out really quickly.