PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: Haislip is this Year's Anthony Tolliver

urunobili
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27361

Dave (MN)

Assuming we've never seen "Being John Malkovich," what do you really think of Haislip and how good he can be?
John Hollinger

Fifth big man at best. This year's Anthony Tolliver.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Do I have to kill you for starting multiple Holly threads?

urunobili
07-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Sorry If i bothered... you can merge if you don;t think it's appropriate... i thought it was worth discussing separately... for future bump on his performance with the team etc...

Again if it doesn't contribute plz delete...

MannyIsGod
07-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Its from Hollinger, why would it be worth discussing at all?

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
LOL

The jackass shouldn't even have a job with his "Spurs won't make the playoffs" prediction/claim along with the numerous other dead wrong claims/predictions.

Why does he still have such a high profile job?

urunobili
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Its from Hollinger, why would it be worth discussing at all?

to generate some rebellion and make the Spurs spirit to fire up even more?

:depressed

coyotes_geek
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I love a good Hollinger bashing as much as the next guy, but isn't he right?

Duncan
McDyess
Blair?
Bonner?
Haislip?

Sure, maybe Haislip beats out Blair or Bonner to move up to 4th, but it's not like saying Haislip is the 5th best big on the team is anywhere close to being the most ridiculous thing he's said.

hater
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree not worth discussing Hollinger's ramblings on separate threads.

shame on you uru!!!

:D

mikeb2016
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
If that's true, then the FO has just wasted 4 million of Mr. Holt's money. I don't know about you, but Pop, RC, Holt, et al, seem to be a little too smart with their money to have just thrown away 4 million for Anthony Tolliver part deaux.

But you know what they say...those who can evaluate talent do, those who can't write columns about those who do.

I think Hollinger is a very good statistician, and developed a decent way of ranking players...but that is not a definitive way of judging talent and his system is only one of several that have merit. I am not going Spurs Homer and saying that Haislip is the answer to Lamar Odom, but I am at least interested in seeing the guy 50 games into the season.

JGrice02
07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
If that's true, then the FO has just wasted 4 million of Mr. Holt's money. I don't know about you, but Pop, RC, Holt, et al, seem to be a little too smart with their money to have just thrown away 4 million for Anthony Tolliver part deaux.

But you know what they say...those who can evaluate talent do, those who can't write columns about those who do.

I think Hollinger is a very good statistician, and developed a decent way of ranking players...but that is not a definitive way of judging talent and his system is only one of several that have merit. I am not going Spurs Homer and saying that Haislip is the answer to Lamar Odom, but I am at least interested in seeing the guy 50 games into the season.

Didn't he rate Butler as one of the best Centers in the league a couple years ago?

Tully365
07-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Let's be honest-- none of us know what Haislip will do. I'm rooting for him, and I hope he's successful, but if he'd been signed by Cleveland or the Lakers I doubt there'd be shockwaves of fear spreading through spurstalk worried about how dominant he might be against the frontline of the Spurs.

DBMethos
07-09-2009, 03:35 PM
$4 mil sounds like a helluva lot for another Tolliver.

timvp
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
$4 million tells me the Spurs are pretty damn high on Haislip. Personally I think that's overpaying for him but they've seen more of him than I have. We'll see. I could imagine him anywhere from the third big to the fifth big.

An Anthony Tolliver comparison doesn't make any sense. Not in style of play or depth. Tolliver was the third big for a good chunk of his time on the Spurs before he got waived.

hater
07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Only answer is that Spurs knew a couple other teams were trying to sign him for a few mil.

slick'81
07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
well haislip's a much better athlete so the comparisons end there

kbrury
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Tolliver could shoot and thats about it. Haislip can jump and go inside a bit more, plus he can shoot (just not as well). I see Haislip being a poor man's Kevin Garnett more than Tolliver (who was closer to a poor man's Matt Bonner)

Well the way Tolliver shot during the season Haislip must be terrible.

Tully365
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Tolliver could shoot and thats about it. Haislip can jump and go inside a bit more, plus he can shoot (just not as well). I see Haislip being a poor man's Kevin Garnett more than Tolliver (who was closer to a poor man's Matt Bonner)

My hope is that Haislip is a poor man's Rashard Lewis.

slick'81
07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
my hope is that haislip just plays some and contributes

anjlbitz
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
How are Haislip's rebounding numbers?

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
:lol

Dr. Gonzo
Does this mean Haislip's hair line will begin to fade?

coyotes_geek
my hope is that haislip just plays some and contributes

Voice of reason.

Not that I'm going to bitch if Haislip turns into some poor man's all-star, but geez, let's not get carried away right now.

nkdlunch
07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
yeah, very similar players :rolleyes

QPp0DZj3QJs

Tully365
$4 million tells me the Spurs are pretty damn high on Haislip. Personally I think that's overpaying for him but they've seen more of him than I have. We'll see.

I agree. None of us have been scouting him first hand in Spain for the past year (though I'd go if offered!), so I'm content to trust the FO and scouting team. If his success level is square between Jackie Butler (0 out of 10) and Antonio McDyess (8 out of 10?), I'll be very happy.

timvp
How are Haislip's rebounding numbers?

Bad.

picnroll
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Thank God he didn't say Jackie Butler.

Muser
07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
So does this mean he's gonna average a triple double?

Tully365
07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't think he can shoot that well.

To be honest I have no idea what we can expect from Haislip except and athletic 6'10" PF with some handles a decent mid to long range shot and a mean right hook.

:lol Yeah, the hook was impressive! Especially for a devout Christian...

I used Lewis as an example because I think his strength seems to be more on the offensive rather than the defensive side.

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Hollinger has always been a spurs hater. :lol
Why do you continue to read what this asshole says? If you continue to do so, he'll keep writing more bullshit.
He is looking at the NBA through his Laker glasses.

dbestpro
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM

I disagree to a point. Tolliver could shoot. The problem was his shots did not go in the basket.

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Why would anybody even ask Hollinger this question?..he goes by a strict formula that he rarely goes away from, and why would he know a lot about a player that has been in Europe for a while?..

Tully365
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I disagree to a point. Tolliver could shoot. The problem was his shots did not go in the basket.

Very true... this is why I always compare GMs to poker players-- the better ones win the most, but you still have to recognize that many moves are calculated gambles. Tolliver shot lights out in europe and in the summer league, and then in the nba he shot 3s like Francisco Elson. I have a good vibe about Haislip, but there's no way to tell until he actually takes the court and plays.

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
:ban::idiot:hang Ban Hollinger.

DJB
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I couldn't agree more.

wildbill2u
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Lets forget about his offense. You don't usually sign a bench guy with spotty offensive skills for that. He looks like he's interested in blocking shots, so how is he on defense?

I'm interested in whether this mobile, hostile 6'10" guy can be taught that Defense is where he will make his mark with this team.

Maybe he can be the Dirk spiker and help out on all the long 3s and skinny 4s & 5s.

Tully365
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Haislip obviously has great leaping ability, and a lot of his video clips show spectacular blocks, but statistically he wasn't that much of a shot blocker in Spain.

tmtcsc
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I think the Spurs may see Haislip as a 4 that can stay with Odom. He's lanky and versatile and improved his perimeter game too. I'm anxious to see what he offers. Tolliver isn't a very good comparison. He earned his way on to the Spurs roster with his hot shooting in the Summer League. He also had no NBA experience.

Haislip has shown that he is resilient.

afireinside20
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a feeling about Haislip, that he's gonna turn alot of heads for us and really contribute for us.

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I give Hollinger more credit than some of your guys. But this is a statistical blindspot for him -- how is he supposed to judge Haislip? By what criteria besides his guts? European stats don't always predict well, and his former NBA stats you have to throw out...

phxspurfan
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Ok that's it. Great offseason Spurs FO! I'll see yall in preseason. Now back to The Club.

50 cent
07-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't have a lot of expectations for Haislip. I hope I'm wrong.

bigfan
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Hollinger - This year's uninformed hack writer.

Death In June
07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Maybe Haislip will be part of the aforementioned sign and trade? Along with Bonner/Finely, doesn't that take our expirings to 10 mill?

timvp
07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Maybe Haislip will be part of the aforementioned sign and trade? Along with Bonner/Finely, doesn't that take our expirings to 10 mill?

He has a two-year contract.

RC explained the Haislip signing as the Spurs getting a mobile four who can spread the floor with his shot. He also said he liked Haislip because Haislip has something to prove.

fischh
07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Splitter going on in this board. So to put things into better perspective, Haislip and Splitter both played in Spain and recorded similar minutes (27.5 vs 28). Respective stats for 2009/09 season were:

Haislip: 15.8 points & 5.0 rebounds & 1.1 blocks
Splitter: 14.7 points & 6.6 rebounds & 1.0 blocks

Rebounding numbers in europe are low because game is shorter (40 mins) and pace is slow compared to NBA.

And Haislip is 83% FT shooter :downspin:

Russ
07-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Haislip looks like insurance in case Mahinmi isn't the athletic big that the Spurs need.

There are no sure thing bigs available, especially relatively young ones with hops. That may lead to a seller's market for the few available -- I would be curious as to whether the Spurs had some competition behind the scenes for Haislip. That might explain the arguable overpayment for him.

manufan10
07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah, very similar players :rolleyes

QPp0DZj3QJs

:wow

If he can contribute half of this highlight reel, I'll be impressed. I also like WWE superstar Edge's theme music for the highlight. :tu :D

elbamba
07-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I have developed a new formula that has several components working together to equal a final calculation that Hollinger is a gigantic deutsch bag.

Tully365
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Splitter going on in this board. So to put things into better perspective, Haislip and Splitter both played in Spain and recorded similar minutes (27.5 vs 28). Respective stats for 2009/09 season were:

Haislip: 15.8 points & 5.0 rebounds & 1.1 blocks
Splitter: 14.7 points & 6.6 rebounds & 1.0 blocks

Rebounding numbers in europe are low because game is shorter (40 mins) and pace is slow compared to NBA.

And Haislip is 83% FT shooter :downspin:

Those are the stats for the ACB league. In the Euroleague, Splitter averaged 1.6 bpg and Haislip averaged 0.4 bpg.

MarHill
07-09-2009, 08:45 PM
My hope is that Haislip is a poor man's Rashard Lewis.

I hope he can guard Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom more than anything!!

That would help the Spurs tremendously!!

mikeb2016
07-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I have developed a new formula that has several components working together to equal a final calculation that Hollinger is a gigantic deutsch bag.

Hollinger is a large German bag? What does that even mean? :huh

j/k with ya...:lol

rjv
07-09-2009, 09:46 PM
he may be right. haislip is behind blair at the PF spot and maybe even gist if gist makes the team (unless gist is sent to turkey again). and he could see time at the center position but i doubt it as he would be behind bonner and mahimini.

cornbread
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Hollinger is this year's Mark Kiszla.