PDA

View Full Version : Not that anyone cares, but.........

Ballcox
04-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Went to the Orange/White scrimmage Saturday evening at DKR, was a great night for a little spring football. For any other UT fans out there that didn't get to go, just thought I would share some observations from the game.

1. Vince still has that wierd ass, sideways throwing motion, and at this point in his career I can't imagine that he's going to make some kind of huge adjustment in his throwing motion. With that being said, he did throw the ball very consistently and I think we're going to see a big leap in production from the WR group. Guys like Limas Sweed, Nate Jones, Pittman, Gatewood, Myron Hardy all looked better running routes an catching the ball. Added to this is that we've got Jordan Shipley coming back this season (he didn't play in the scrimmage) and Quan Crosby leaving baseball to come play WR at UT. I think the WR group will be much improved with much better production this upcoming season. Additionally, you've still got David Thomas at TE, he could have a huge season.

2. The OL might be one the best at UT in quite a while. Even though it sucks to lose Benson, I think the RB by committee approach will work very well with this OL opening up holes. Romance looked solid, do did the new kid Houston and the converted WR Obagannya (sp?). Added to this group will be the #1 RB prospect in the state, Jamal Charles coming in with the freshman class and then Selvin Young, who is expected to be back at UT in the fall after some academic problems. I think the combination of these guys will more than makeup for the loss of Benson. Romance in particular has that 5th gear type of speed to just pull away from defenders, I'm looking forward to watching this kid play.

3. The defense will be STACKED, I really don't see a weakness in the entire defense as far as the starters go. Add to that Chizik, the DC from Auburn taking over this group and I think they will be much better as a unit than last year. Rod Wright at DT is a stud, and should be a 1st team all-amercian, he was solid in the scrimmage. One area of weakness from last season was a poor pass rush, not enough sacks. With Mike Williams coming back at LE, he should rotate well with Robison, then Crowder is on the other side. One kid that impressed me in the scrimmage was Orakpo, a speed/edge kid who should see some playing time this season. It looks like Killebrew will step into DJ's old shoes at WLB, with Harris at MLB and then Foreman at SLB. It hurts to lose DJ, but this LB group will be solid. The secondary looks good, Kelson at Safety is a young guy who looked good and should see some PT next season. Most of the guys are returning players in the secondary, so this unit should be strong. There is some really good depth and speed on the defensive side of the ball, I think Chizik expects this unit to be one of the best in the country and they have the talent and speed to live up to those expectations.

4. Special teams, a real weakness in the Rose Bowl, not sure where this unit is at. Do know that Pino will be the new PK, a transfer from Vanderbilt that had to sit out last season, I think he will be solid. McGee will be back as the punter, he's a solid guy, not great. My main concern is punt and kickoff coverage, and it didn't help to see the opening kickoff of the scrimmage get returned for a TD. Everyone in the stands was hollering and yelling, seeing the opeing kickoff returned for a TD just makes me nervous. Won't know more about these units until two-a-days and later when the games count.

Overall, it's hard to really tell much from a vanilla scrimmage, but some players that really stood out individually were the following:

*Vince Young, big surprise, right? This guy is set to have a monster season, I think he feels more confident in his WR and his ability to get the ball to them. And when the coverage is tight and the protection breaks down? Ya'll saw what he did to Michigan, right?

* Obgannya (sp?) at RB, he's a converted WR, but the kid has a great size/speed combination and the hit the holes hard, seems to have good vision. Only question is can he carve out some PT from R. Taylor, M. Houston and J. Charles?

* Orakpo at DE, mentioned him before. He's a true speed guy off the edge, needs to get better at defending the run, but has the potential to really get in the QB's face. I think you've got to put him on the field some.

* Kelson at either SS or FS, he was actually on the depth chart at RB last year, but this kid was recruited to play safety, and he put a hell of a hit on some poor 2nd team guy the other night. Seems to have good instincts at the Safety spot, should push for some PT.

So, those are just some basic observations and players that stood out. I always try and make the orange/white scrimmage and then as many of the practices that are open to the public as I can. This team has amazing potential, and should be right in the mix for the MNC. Of course, a road game at Ohio State, trying to end a five year drought against ou and then OSU and a&m on the road are going to provide for a tough season. I'm always looking forward to the college football season, after the Spurs are done with their playoff season of course!

respect the 'fro :fro

jalbre6
04-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the recap. I read a story on another board that said Jamal might break Benson's frosh rushing record, but it looks like he's going to have competition for carries. Good to hear that Selvin is going to be able to play this year too.

Ballcox
04-06-2005, 02:02 PM
jalbre6, one guy to also keep an eye on with the next freshman class is the Henry Melton kid out of Grapevine. He's listed at about 6'4/270lbs, and they're going to give him a shot at the RB position, if you can believe that! The kid is HUGE, especially for a RB, a lot of people think he will get moved to the DE spot, but hell, maybe he ends up as a FB. Can you imagine a kid with his size, who supposedly runs a sub 4.6 40 time as a lead blocker, or possibly running the ball? Brings back memories of that huge RB that played at Pitt back in the late 80's-early 90's, can't remember his name now, but the Horns played his Pitt team at the Bluebonnet Bowl back when they played it at the Astrodome in Houston. Anyway, looking forward to this next season for Horns football, now if we can only beat ou!!!!

ShoogarBear
04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Uh, Mack's still the coach, right?

:lol

Mr Dio
04-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I can't believe the # & quality of recruits UT already has for next yr. 17 & counting. A few of the kids have already said NO MORE VISITS because a commitment is a commitment. I don't know how many 'ships UT has to give out but they very well might be down to less than a handful BEFORE the season starts.

vincerodriguez23
04-18-2005, 03:25 AM
So Vince still has that sideways passing huh. Well does he at least get the ball to the WR's? Has he shown any improvement with his dual-threat capabilities? Thanks.

Ballcox
04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
From what I've seen of Vince, I think he is throwing the ball better downfield. One of his biggest problems early on was his inability to make his read progressions downfield, he usually locked on to the primary WR and if the guy wasn't open, he usually took off an ran. Now, Vince running isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you've got to have some kind of balance in your attack. From the second half of last season on he's just looked more comfortable in the pocket, making his reads and I think he'll continue to get better due to the following three reasons:

* His WR's are more confident and have more experience under their belt. Guys like L. Sweed, N. Jones, T. Gatewood will be better route runners, have more confidence catching the ball. Add to that the additions of J. Shipley and Q. Crosby at WR, Vince should have good depth to utilize at WR.

* The OL should be amazing. Could be one of the best OL since Mack has been at Texas, they will provide plenty of time for Vince to make his reads.

* And finally, Vince has worked hard on going through his progressions and making good throwing decisions. I think he'll be more comfortable in the pocket, have more confidence in his WR's (also TE D. Thomas) and really keep defenses off balance with his combination of throwing and running skills. You've also got to remember that Vince does have the highest completion % of any QB in UT history, I think he'll only get better through his next two seasons.

mookie2001
04-19-2005, 02:00 PM
hey do yall think vince young could steal a base in softball?

word
07-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Let's hope that Selvin Young makes his grades at ACC this summer. He's on academic probation right now.

Also, I think people really aren't taking notice of the difference Quan Cosby is going to make.

The one thing about Texas that has to be taken into account as well is their last two games last year. A comeback against aTm and the Rose Bowl. I think they've developed the confidence they needed.

Most hilarious is OU's offense wasn't able to score on their D in their spring game and their defense ain't all that. Stoopes is in Sooner hell right now. He knows he's about to experience some beatdowns and paybacks this season from all over the conference.

There's blood in the water up in Norman boys, and they're smelling it all over the big XII....