PDA

View Full Version : Gasol vs Duncan

James210
07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
me and my friend are havin a huge argument about gasol and duncan
only counting there skills at the moment, not the past

so who do u guys think is the overall better player???

turiaf for president
07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
duncan. sweet bank shots not going away as well as his ablilty to block shots

VivaPopovich
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Duncan

wake me up when Pau accomplishes even 1/0 of what Timmy did

timvp
Jerry West.

La Peace
Gasol is to Duncan what (Healthy) Ginobili is to Kobe.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Your friend is trolling you...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM

what exactly is 1/0?

ginobili's bald spot
07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Duncan

Did you read the OP? He said skills at the moment not the past.

Reading is fundamental.

Spursfan092120
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
whichever of you thinks Gasol is better, you should be dickslapped.

Muser
07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Duncan, but it's closer than some people like to think.

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
DUNCAN. No argument.

SonOfAGun
07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I define this by 1 play where championship is on the line.

= Duncan

xtremesteven33
07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

This.

Findog
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM

+1 and lock thread. Duncan's a little past his prime, whereas Gasol has gotten better.

iggypop123
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
duncan>Gasol
kobe>>>>Ginobli

Mugen
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Offensively, very cose.

Defense, Overall BBall IQ, other Intangibles (toughness, clutchness, etc.): still duncan by a considerable margin.

But Pau is a very good player and has a chance to get a a lot better.

Culburn369
07-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Hard to tell anymore with Duncan loiterin' 22 feet from the hoop.

lil_penny
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Duncan hands down.. gasol is great don't get me wrong.. but duncan is on a whole nother level even at his older age.

mystargtr34
07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Might even be Gasol. Duncan hardly uses his post game anymore.

xellos88330
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Duncan vs. Gasol. Interesting. Duncan I believe has the ability to adapt his style of play. I don't think Gasol has that yet.

Spursmania
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Duncan.
I really want to see a WCF of SA v. Lakers. Make it happen.

Allanon
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Duncan's still better than Pau. Pau's defense still needs alot of work.

Dark Gable
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Duncan.

afireinside20
07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Duncan

Cry Havoc
07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Duncan because of his ability to step up, and his defensive intelligence. Pau has improved by miles on offensive, but still fails to make the right play on the other end of the court.

Both teams should feel fortunate that they have such fantastic post-players and came by them through good (or bad, depending on perspective) fortune.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
what exactly is 1/0?

http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/blog/divided_by_zero.jpg

Allanon
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Why do we even care about Gasol vs Duncan when Andrew Bynum is the future?

Bynumite is more Fundamentally sound than Duncan and more Offensively gifted than Gasol.

Muser
07-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Bynumite is more Fundamentally sound than Duncan and more Offensively gifted than Gasol.

http://www.nike.com/nikebasketball/us/en_US/images/family/nba/players/profile/jj_hickson.jpg

carrao45
07-09-2009, 06:05 PM
whichever of you thinks Gasol is better, you should be dickslapped.

Gasol can challenge him offensively. He shoots like 57%, like 6-7% more than Duncan. It seems like Pau never misses. Plus he has so many post moves its ridiculous.
BUT Duncan is probably the best defensive big in the game. It's a travesty that he doesnt have a DPOY, and D12 does not deserve one.

So Duncan is better, because of his Defense

TwinTowers
07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Gasol is a great post player, but he doesn't dominate the game the way Duncan does.

Duncan > Gasol

Culburn369
07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
did

JJ Hickson
07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
top 3 power forwards

1. JJ Hickson

2. JJ Hickson

3. JJ Hickson

TwinTowers
07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
did

He still has one good year left in the tank

Culburn369
07-09-2009, 06:32 PM
That all depends on if Stern decrees it "one good year" so. If not, it could get "Willie Mays in Center Field for the Mets" ugly real quick.

JamStone
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM

...or admit.

+2

YellowFever
07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Offensively, I'd say they're about even with maybe even giving Gasol a slight lead (Duncan has been out in the perimeter way too much the past year or two) but defensively, it's not even close. Duncan, even with all those years of bumping and grinding, wins hand down.

Chillen
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
LMFAO - this is just like those Jordan vs Kobe things.

Tim Duncan is the best power forward to ever play the game.

Gasol is a respectable player, but Duncan is the big fundamental.

JamStone
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
LMFAO - this is just like those Jordan vs Kobe things.

Tim Duncan is the best power forward to ever play the game.

Gasol is a respectable player, but Duncan is the big fundamental.

It's important to note that the question specifically asked about currently. We're not comparing career resumes. Duncan obviously wins that easily. The OP asks about right now. It actually is somewhat similar to a Jordan v. Kobe argument if you were making the Jordan v. Kobe comparisons back in 2002.

Now, I already said Duncan still is better, but it's not that ridiculous a thing to ask about the two players right now since Duncan has worn down quite a bit.

lefty
07-09-2009, 08:02 PM
jerry west.
+1

Culburn369
07-09-2009, 08:05 PM

For my edification: has Bynum been cut on either of these two injuries, or, were they both just a temporal rehabilitation?

Killakobe81
07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Whomever says Gasol is crazy but the gap has narrowed the past 2 years but I might that trade straight up plus i throw in sasha and Walton if you would bite ....

BlackBellamy
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM

That's one of the better comparisons I've seen on this board. If you put a blank for one of the names it could be an SAT question. It should be.

angelbelow
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
top 3 power forwards

1. JJ Hickson

2. JJ Hickson

3. JJ Hickson

i was gonna come in here and give in depth analysis and concrete evidence on why duncan is still the best PF in the game but...

how can you disagree with that?

Avitus1
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Timmy, all the way.

bdictjames
07-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Duncan can still be the center of a successful franchise. Pau is not. Individually they are close (mostly on the offensive side), but factoring each one's overall impact on the team, Duncan wins by a lot.

SouthTexasRancher
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
me and my friend are havin a huge argument about gasol and duncan
only counting there skills at the moment, not the past

so who do u guys think is the overall better player???

Do you really have to ask?

There are just 3 guys who have proven to be the best over the past 10 years. An owner and coach would do well with any of the 3. Duncan, Kobe & Shaq. Lots of talent below them but, until the Howard's, Lebron's, & Anthony's, etc. prove they can take their team to 4 Championships then they just have to watch from the sidelines.

Cleveland Steamer
07-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Duncan. atleast he doesn't look like a lesbian.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Duncan. atleast he doesn't look like a lesbian.

Perhaps, but, with that low hairline in the front Duncan does look retarded.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:12 AM

You idiot, Duncan graduated with Honors from Wake Forest. Even Shaq will tell you that Duncan is the smartest guy in the NBA. David Robinson was until he retired. Some of you La La Landers are just plain illiterate as well as imbecilic.

Cleveland Steamer
07-10-2009, 12:16 AM

but there are times that Gasol looks like a retarded lesbian so Duncan is still better.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 12:19 AM
You idiot, Duncan graduated with Honors from Wake Forest. Even Shaq will tell you that Duncan is the smartest guy in the NBA. David Robinson was until he retired. Some of you La La Landers are just plain illiterate as well as imbecilic.

I didn't say he was retarded. I said that low hairline in front makes him look retarded. & it does. Anyways, he's overcome it.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Cleveland Steamer, do you think Orlando is better with VC after losing some pretty decent players?

I'm going to enjoy watching Shaq go up against the likes of Howard, KG and Sheed. He s ounds pumped and ready to get it on.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I didn't say he was retarded. I said that low hairline in front makes him look retarded. & it does. Anyways, he's overcome it.

And I suppose you think you look pretty every morning when you first look in the mirror? :rollin

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 12:25 AM
And I suppose you think you look pretty every morning when you first look in the mirror? :rollin

At least the distance twixt my eyebrows & hairline ain't an inch like Duncan.

+ I'm NBA Champion unlike Duncan.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:27 AM
After watching Duncan just take Gasol to the cleaners for years, I can honestly say that Gasol would never win a ring without the likes of Kobe and Odom around him. Duncan, Shaq and Kobe have each done it with different teammates. Just like Duncan used to knock KG & the TWolves out of the playoffs. KG only got his ring after Boston stacked the deck.

Switching subjects: Watching Odom in this season's playoffs I can't understand why the Lakers just don't get him resigned. Without him the Lakers would have lost to Houston, Denver and Orlando. If LA doesn't want Odom, we'll take him here in SA. Hell, we'll let him backup Parker at PG. :lol

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
At least the distance twixt my eyebrows & hairline ain't an inch like Duncan.

+ I'm NBA Champion unlike Duncan.

You really are an imbecilic, idiotic, moronic ignoramus. Duncan is a 4 Time NBA Champion, dufus!

Cleveland Steamer
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Cleveland Steamer, do you think Orlando is better with VC after losing some pretty decent players?

I'm going to enjoy watching Shaq go up against the likes of Howard, KG and Sheed. He s ounds pumped and ready to get it on.

they might be a little better but they're in for a rude awakening when the Diesel and the King come to town.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Please. Pop is too awestruck to shilly/shally with Odum on Laker's time. He wouldn't hack-a-Shaq when Daddy was with the Lakers. He didn't have the balls.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Duncan is a 4 Time NBA Champion

But, he looks retarded.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:36 AM
But, he looks retarded.

He only looks retarded to you because you ARE Retarded. One day your mommy will buy you a brain on ebay. Good night, kid.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Good night, kid.

Buh, bye.

BlackBellamy
07-10-2009, 12:54 AM

:lol @ you having to sink in such a sophomoric cut-down in order to defend your buddy, Pau. You really are an entertaining little homer troll. Keep doin' whatcha' do.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:59 AM
they might be a little better but they're in for a rude awakening when the Diesel and the King come to town.

This coming season is going to be the best in quite some time. The winner will have earned it the old fashioned way. :toast

ChickHearnMic
07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Yeah there really isn't any comparisons

Duncan is one of the greatest of all time.

When Pau is a champion now and just turned only 29 this past Monday. 7-6-09

They have there share of battles and a mutual respect.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/images/2009/03/13/pau_gasol_drives_on_tim_duncan.jpg
http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/San+Antonio+Spurs+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+Game+CSAmUG XAbWEl.jpg
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=246657

holcs50
07-10-2009, 01:19 AM
TD in his prime kills/rapes/pillages Pau in prime. TD right now, if he comes back healthy next year is still better, but like someone said it's closer than some may think. TD has clearly lost a step even when healthy, and his elevation isn't where it used to be (even tho it wasn't ever much). Still his d is quite a bit better, on O it's close. Pau is probably about priming now, it'll be interesting to see the match-ups next year with (crossing fingers) a fresh Td.

sabar
07-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Lakers would trade Pau for Duncan in a heartbeat ignoring trade rules, the Spurs wouldn't. The Lakers would also pretty much be guaranteed championships here to 2011. Spurs would be another mediocre team with no leader.

IronMexican
07-10-2009, 02:49 AM
Lakers would trade Pau for Duncan? Pau is 4 years younger and has much less injury problems.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Lakers would trade Pau for Duncan? Pau is 4 years younger and has much less injury problems.
:lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Don't go ruinging your credibility like that, man. :nope :lol

Hilarious how a good 2/3s of the posts have ignored the "SKILLS RIGHT NOW" part of the OP. It's obviously not even a debate without that caveat.

I'd say that right now, on offense Gasol is slightly better than Tim, mostly because Tim can't drive on anyone any more and he rarely uses the drop step any more (why I don't know - it's a perfect move for old guys).

Tim at his prime had his low post game with three go-to moves (running right hook, drop step, up-and-under), then he had the banker, jumper from the top, and if people closed on any of his jumpers he could drive and finish with either hand. Now, he basically goes to the right hook, the top of the key jumper, the occasional banker, and putbacks, and that's 95% of his offense.

Gasol, OTOH, has polished hooks and drop steps to both hands, jumper out to 18ft, and creative drving ability. He's like a homesless man's Duncan-during-his-prime, but that's a bit better than current Duncan.

Both players are very good passing bigmen - I call that a wash.

While Gasol is a solid rebounder, Duncan is an elite rebounder and has been his entire career, particularly defensively. Last year Duncan was virtually alone on the boards and the only reason we were close to being decent there. Edge Duncan.

On defense, both one-on-one and help, Duncan is a far better player than Gasol. I don't have to explain that further, it is self-evident.

Intangibles also go to Duncan - let's face it, he plays like he was born on a basketball court. That's not to say Gasol doesn't have a good understanding of the game, but we are talking a Stephen Hawking-level basketball genius in Duncan.

So, yeah, looking at the complete package, Duncan is still the better player, although I can accept that Gasol is a better scorer at this point in their respective careers.

TheManFromAcme
07-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Ah yes, the great David Robinson. Math Major, U.S. Naval Academy. The man's I.Q. was off the charts.

Duncan is "the guy" right how. No need to argue this. Pau is right behind him though.

When the great John Wooden says,"If I had to start a team right now, Tim Duncan would be my first pick" Uh, that speaks volumes. I love Pau but Tim is still the best PF in the game right now. A little slower these days but thats where your game I.Q. comes into play.

23LeBronJames23
07-10-2009, 07:39 AM
top 3 power forwards

1. JJ Hickson

2. JJ Hickson

3. JJ Hickson

maybe in a couple of years!!!

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Ah yes, the great David Robinson. Math Major, U.S. Naval Academy. The man's I.Q. was off the charts.

I'll take yer word for it on his ability to tote up his ciphers. But, if Duncan hadn't a shown up to carry Robinson's end of the log you'd be in a similar boat as the Suns & Mav= O & somethin'.

Allanon
07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Don't go ruinging your credibility like that, man. :nope :lol

It's off-season, just trying to fire up the local wildlife. I gotta get new material though, nobody bit on that one :bang

TheManFromAcme
07-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I'll take yer word for it on his ability to tote up his ciphers. But, if Duncan hadn't a shown up to carry Robinson's end of the log you'd be in a similar boat as the Suns & Mav= O & somethin'.

Hey, relax. Just giving credit where credit is due. And what's with the "I'd be in a similar boat as the Suns & Mav" tirade?. In case you haven't noticed, I am a Laker fan.

David Robinson is an all time great person,...not just a basketball jock. His accomplishments go way beyond bouncing a leather sphere like serving his country first which in my book will always be more imortant than playing this game.

The man was as intelligent as they get. To bad those kind of guys aren't around much. Has nothing to do with "propping" a guy up over one of "our" guys (Laker player).

I am not concerned about who saved who and who carried who. The guy mentioned David Robinson and I added a little bit more about the man, that's it.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 07:58 AM
And what's with the "I'd be in a similar boat as the Suns & Mav" tirade?. In case you haven't noticed, I am a Laker fan.

Sorry, Acme. In my haste to bust a Spur I failed to notice your colors, fellow lodge brother, Local Number 15.

pauls931
07-10-2009, 08:02 AM
lol, Might as well ask who's the king of pop at Michael Jackson's funeral.

TheManFromAcme
07-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Sorry, Acme. In my haste to bust a Spur I failed to notice your colors, fellow lodge brother, Local Number 15.

No harm brother. Weez cool.:toast

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 08:04 AM
lol, Might as well ask who's the king of pop at Michael Jackson's funeral.

Donny Osmond?

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 08:06 AM

No harm brother. Weez cool.:toast

Thank you, Brother Acme.:toast

ambchang
07-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Obviously Gasol. Three main arguments.

1) Gasol just won a championship. More championships = better (as defined by Kobe supporters). Therefore as of now, Gasol > Duncan. FYI, Gasol > Howard, Ming and any other big man not on the Lakers.

2) Gasol > Kobe in the playoffs. Kobe > James. James = MVP > Everybody else. Therefore, Gasol is the best in the game. As such, best in the game > Duncan. Thus Gasol > Duncan.

3) Bynum's low ceiling is a quicker Duncan. Gasol starts in front of Bynum. Thus Gasol > Bynum > Duncan. In fact, Gasol > Duncan, even if you put in career accomplishments. And since Bynum carried the Lakers to the best season ever (75 wins + so ridiculous far ahead of the competition in the West that nobody else can dream of catching them), Bynum > Jabbar, Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Moses Malone, Robinson, Thurmond, and all the other big man ever. But since Gasol > Bynum, Gasol is the best big man ever.

Johnny RIngo
07-10-2009, 08:17 AM

At least Robinson's won his fair share of playoff games by himself. Gasol couldn't win ONE playoff game on his own(0-12 in Memphis).

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Don't be bitter, chang.

Just grab Duncan by his elbow and run him counter clock wise. That should free him from the wood where the Mavericks ran him clock wise into.

Savvy?

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
At least Robinson's won his fair share of playoff games by himself. Gasol couldn't win ONE playoff game on his own(0-12 in Memphis).

Yeah, but, Robinson couldn't win the Big One until Duncan showed up and held his little hand: "Oh, David, take it easy, it's alright." "Oh, David, I think you turned your Fruits into a fudge factory." "Oh, David, touch me there." "Oh, David, we finally one that wasn't strike tainted, please retire, your end of the log is killing me." "Oh, Pop, your ugly."

Allanon
07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Don't be bitter, chang.

Just grab Duncan by his elbow and run him counter clock wise. That should free him from the wood where the Mavericks ran him clock wise into.

Savvy?

Chang has always been bitter when discussing the Lakers, you'll get used to it here :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
this thread is fkn stupid, after winning a championship all of a sudden his on the same lvl as duncan? this is stupid like PP threads about him being on the same level as kobe last 2 seasons ago when the celtics won....STUPID.

hater
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Gasol got some nice skills but is a soft pussy. Duncan even with 2 bum knees no contest.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Duncan even with 2 bum knees.

What he does in the off season is his own business.

mystargtr34
07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I thought we were talking about 'skill', not who the better player was.

tlongII
07-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Duncan's much better, but if his knees don't hold up it won't seem like it.

poop
07-10-2009, 10:04 AM
at this point in time, gasol is probably just as effective on the offensive end, but defensively duncan is still better.

ambchang
07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Don't be bitter, chang.

Savvy?

Thanks for point #4.

Gasol > Brandon Bass/Erick Dampier > Tim Duncan.

:tu

ambchang
07-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Chang has always been bitter when discussing the Lakers, you'll get used to it here :lol

LOL.
I just bought the 16-Disc Spurs championship DVD set, and .... guess what? The 85 Lakers championship DVD set.

Know why?

Because I love the Lakers, actually my 2nd favourite team of all time.

EDIT: Hold on, I just remembered.....

I may or may not be bitter when discussing the Lakers. Either way, you are right.

Laker fans are just too entertaining.

Allanon
07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I may or may not be bitter when discussing the Lakers. Either way, you are right.

Laker fans are just too entertaining.

I knew it, you're my favorite Spurfan to troll. :lol

ambchang
07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Kobe > Jordan!

Probably shouldn't go there.

Allanon
07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Kobe > Jordan!

Delusional Spurfan as usual, only you would think Kobe > Jordan :lol

redzero
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Can't we all just make sweet music together?

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8229/pautimplaying.jpg

spursfan09
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
What he does in the off season is his own business.

You are sick and need help.

IronMexican
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Kobe > Jordan!

You probably think Bynum is a more explosive Duncan:rolleyes

nevitt_&_smrek
07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history. He plays both ends of the floor, scores at a very high efficiency, can pass; 20/10 guy if allowed more opportunities. Two finals, one win, not even a three-game losing streak with the Lakers.

resistanze
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history.

resistanze
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
That doesn't even deserve a direct response.

nevitt_&_smrek
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
That doesn't even deserve a direct response.

Because it's so obvious. Not even debatable. 20/10 guy, 58% FG in the playoffs. 2 blocks per game. The man can pass the ball. Truly an all-around, unique talent. So what if he doesn't have tattoos or wasn't born in the USA?

The playoff numbers are on par with other greats like Duncan and McHale.

ambchang
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history. He plays both ends of the floor, scores at a very high efficiency, can pass; 20/10 guy if allowed more opportunities. Two finals, one win, not even a three-game losing streak with the Lakers.

Couldn't sum it up better myself.

As said earlier, Gasol was one of the best big man in NBA history.
Coupled with the greatest all time Kobe Bryant (see Kobe > Jordan), and the a mobile Duncan in Bynum, the Lakers can easily win 75 games and go 16-0 in the playoffs.

The only reason the team didn't was because Sterns hates the Lakers and don't give them the breaks that they deserve.

I am ashamed to be a Spurs fan, I should bandwagon on the Lakers and make myself a happier man as I so desperately want to be associated with the team of the decade!

BlackBellamy
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Because it's so obvious. Not even debatable. 20/10 guy, 58% FG in the playoffs. 2 blocks per game. The man can pass the ball. Truly an all-around, unique talent. So what if he doesn't have tattoos or wasn't born in the USA?

The point of the thread is not to determine if both players are talented, that's not in question. Pau's numbers are impressive and comparable to Duncan's, but still they are not better.

ambchang
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
You probably think Bynum is a more explosive Duncan:rolleyes

Think? He already is greater than Duncan!

He has won one championship already, and he's only 21! Let me flow this through with Kobe = Greatest logic.

Kobe won 4 rings, it didn't matter than he won 3 with Shaq, he won 4 rings.

Now Bynum won a ring, and it doesn't matter that he won it with Kobe, because a ring is a ring, and we know that Bynum will be one of the 50 greatest ever.

Why?

Simple.

Robinson is one of the greatest 50 ever. Duncan > Robinson, therefore Duncan is at least one of the greatest 50 ever.

By the age of 21, Bynum already won a ring, went to the finals twice, scored 1885 points, had 312 blks, and 1318 rebounds.

You know what Duncan had at the same age? Zero finals appearance, Zero rings (naturally), Only 1731 pts, 206 blks and 977 rebs.

Bynum had him beat at every single category at the age of 21. Bynum at 21 is simply more accomplished than Duncan was at age 21.

Now that we have established Bynum to be a top 50 player ever, it shows that his role on the 09 Lakers is the same as Kobe's.

Bynum led his team to a championship at age 21, you know what Duncan had at age 21? A ROY, ONE irrelevant All-star game, an All-D team and an All-NBA selection. That's it. This doesn't even compare to leading his team to a title.

Thus, it could be conclusively proven than Bynum > Duncan.

But since Bynum has the same fundamental skills as Duncan, there must be some areas that Bynum is greater than Duncan, and that is, you guessed it, mobility.

I don't just think Bynum is a more mobile Duncan, it is proven.

resistanze
07-10-2009, 03:02 PM

In the last two years as a second fiddle on the Lakers, Pau has averaged 17.6 PPG, 10.1 RPG on 55% shooting. I'd love a guy like that on my team, but would you call those averages the best stretch of any bigman in NBA history? Seriously?

nevitt_&_smrek
07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
The point of the thread is not to determine if both players are talented, that's not in question. Pau's numbers are impressive and comparable to Duncan's, but still they are not better.

Duncan is the greater player, no doubt. He's top 7 all-time minimum. Duncan did have a title run where he shot "only" 46%, but was excellent for his other runs: 52% for his '07 playoff run, 53% for his '03, 51% for his '99. Duncan's better at rebounding and defends the paint better. Free throw shooting and passing about even. Gasol might be the more polished offensive player.

Gasol is better than people think. Kobe didn't win this alone. He could actually make things easier if he utilized his big man more often.

BlackBellamy
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Gasol is better than people think. Kobe didn't win this alone. He could actually make things easier if he utilized his big man more often.

Absolutely, he is a vicious threat offensively, smart as anyone playing the game currently and everyone that pays true attention to basketball should recognize that. I mean when you guys got him there was a reason for the rest of the league getting up in arms. He's an impact player on a high level that can certainly be a reliable go to, I just don't view him as, at all, better than Duncan.

jag
07-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history. He plays both ends of the floor

Like a direct kick to the nuts, this caught my attention.

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Is this a serious thread? Haha. Duncan is way ahead of Gasol. Even now.

jag
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Is this a serious thread? Haha. Duncan is way ahead of Gasol. Even now.

I dont agree. Offensively they are somewhat close...but defensively it's not even fair to Duncan to make the comparison.

nevitt_&_smrek
07-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Like a direct kick to the nuts, this caught my attention.

It should catch people's attention. Not many big guys have the ability to play consistently at that level. Fisher seems to get more credit for the title, FFS.

anakha
07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history.

Shaquille O'Neal ('00, '01, '02) and Hakeem Olajuwon ('94, '95) take a collective shit on your claim.

And that's just among big men who made consecutive Finals trips.

jag
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
It should catch people's attention. Not many big guys have the ability to play consistently at that level. Fisher seems to get more credit for the title, FFS.

oooh...i get it. This is like the J.J. Hickson thing, right?

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 04:31 PM
[[[Originally Posted by nevitt_&_smrek http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/nba/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3544497#post3544497)

Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history.]]]

No. Just this year's playoff run for Gasol was admirable. Last year's was disgraceful as Boston punished him for being weak & distracted. But, he sat down with the coaching staff and looked at film and then he went out and applied his lessons. So this time when Howard tried to steamroll him he didn't throw his hands up in mock surrender and plead to the refs. No, he held his ground and his focus and soldiered. He's specialPERIOD

nevitt_&_smrek
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Shaquille O'Neal ('00, '01, '02) and Hakeem Olajuwon ('94, '95) take a collective shit on your claim.

And that's just among big men who made consecutive Finals trips.

Olajuwon looks better because he took more shots. His rebounding and passing weren't all that more impressive, if at all. We've seen all of his highlights over and over again, yet 51% and 52% FG for those two years. Gasol 53% and 58%. Does Dream get the same amount of looks if he has a guard on his team dominating the ball?

nevitt_&_smrek
07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
[[[Originally Posted by nevitt_&_smrek http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/nba/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3544497#post3544497)

Gasol's playoff run this year, last two years really, was as good as any big man's in league history.]]]

No. Just this year's playoff run for Gasol was admirable. Last year's was disgraceful as Boston punished him for being weak & distracted. But, he sat down with the coaching staff and looked at film and then he went out and applied his lessons. So this time when Howard tried to steamroll him he didn't throw his hands up in mock surrender and plead to the refs. No, he held his ground and his focus and soldiered. He's specialPERIOD

Gasol certainly deserved his share of blame, though that was his first deep playoff run. What about Kobe's own final performance vs. Boston? He shouldn't escape people's criticisms...

21_Blessings
07-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Olajuwon looks better because he took more shots. His rebounding and passing weren't all that more impressive, if at all. We've seen all of his highlights over and over again, yet 51% and 52% FG for those two years. Gasol 53% and 58%. Does Dream get the same amount of looks if he has a guard on his team dominating the ball?

Hahah dude. The Dream routinely saw triple teams and would still score with his dream-shake baseline fall away.

The only reason Gasol shot 58% was Kobe Bean Bryant. Gasol hasn't seen one triple team since he's been on the Lakers. Rarely ever gets doubled when the entire defense is focused on Kobe.

anakha
07-10-2009, 04:42 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Olajuwon took more shots because he was the number 1 option.

You can't say Gasol's playoff performance is comparable to that because Gasol was never the number one option on his team.

And among bigmen who were secondary options? Hell, Kevin McHale('85, '86, '87)'s numbers were better than Gasol's.

Your argument holds absolutely no water.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-10-2009, 04:46 PM

You really are a special kind of stupid.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
He ain't much better in the paint...he takes root like a barber pole there.

anakha
07-10-2009, 04:54 PM

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Tim-Duncans-Shot-Chart.JPG

You really are a special kind of stupid.

Warlord23
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Did the Laker fans here not bother buying their 2008 Kobe-MVP season DVD?

If so, they might want to check out the portion where Gasol gets owned by Perkins, Powe and PJ Brown.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Spurs fans>>>runnin' as fast as they can.

LMCONTROLLINAO!

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Did the Laker fans here not bother buying their 2008 Kobe-MVP season DVD?

If so, they might want to check out the portion where Gasol gets owned by Perkins, Powe and PJ Brown.

Already cited it. But, then contrast that ass whipping with what Gasol did to Howard. The evolution of Gasol twixt '08 & '09 is stunning.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-10-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Tim-Duncans-Shot-Chart.JPG

:lmao

Warlord23
07-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Already cited it. But, then contrast that ass whipping with what Gasol did to Howard. The evolution of Gasol twixt '08 & '09 is stunning.

Gimme a break. IIRC Gasol scored more than 20 twice in the Finals. He didn't outplay anybody. Gasol '09 is best summarized by getting teabagged by Nene in the WCF and pushed around by Hayes/Scola/Landry in the 2nd round.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 05:04 PM
No, Gasol '09 is best summarized by Howard being neutralized.

IronMexican
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Gimme a break. IIRC Gasol scored more than 20 twice in the Finals. He didn't outplay anybody. Gasol '09 is best summarized by getting teabagged by Nene in the WCF and pushed around by Hayes/Scola/Landry in the 2nd round.

Ok, do people want to knock Kobe or Gasol?

DrHouse
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Gasol '09 is best summarized as 2009 NBA CHAMPION. MOTHA FUCKER.

http://basketballinspain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gasol.png

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok, do people want to knock Kobe or Gasol?

The probably want to knock Duncan for loiterin' 22 feet from the hoop, but, their vanity won't permit it.

Warlord23
07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
The weakest #2 option on an NBA champion team since SJax on the 2003 Spurs.

IronMexican
07-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Don't praise Kobe too much.

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Gasol '09 is best summarized as 2009 NBA CHAMPION. MOTHA FUCKER.

http://basketballinspain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gasol.png
He's still a softy imo.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Perhaps, but, you came within a game of getting skunked by the Mavs.

tee, hee.

DrHouse
07-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Gasol is fucking incredible. Anyone who PLAYS basketball can see this.

His footwork, fundamentals, etc. are all top notch. The gracefulness and mobility he has at 7ft is probably unmatched in the NBA.

Any team would LOVE to have this guy. Anybody denigrating him is a jealous piece of shit who is so bitter they can't see straight.

SPUR FAN IS SO MAD THE LAKERS WON IT ALL AND TOOK TEAM OF THE DECADE FROM THEM. THEY ARE SO MAD!!!

JamStone
07-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Kendrick Perkins '08! Mothafucker!

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM

His footwork, fundamentals, etc. are all top notch. The gracefulness and mobility he has at 7ft is probably unmatched in the NBA.

Any team would LOVE to have this guy. Anybody denigrating him is a jealous piece of shit who is so bitter they can't see straight.

SPUR FAN IS SO MAD THE LAKERS WON IT ALL AND TOOK TEAM OF THE DECADE FROM THEM. THEY ARE SO MAD!!!

The Dr., with a much needed house call.

Culburn369
07-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Kendrick Perkins '08! Mothafucker!

Reminds one of Sonny Liston in his prime.

DrHouse
07-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I love how Spur fan keeps bringing up all the injuries of other teams in '09 but says NOTHING ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE LAKERS HAD BYNUM AND ARIZA INJURED IN '08.

Fucking pathetic hypocrites. Fat redneck, sister fucking faggots.

anakha
07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I love how Spur fan keeps bringing up all the injuries of other teams in '09 but says NOTHING ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE LAKERS HAD BYNUM AND ARIZA INJURED IN '08.

Wow, the troll got trolled. :lol

ambchang
07-11-2009, 01:08 AM

Exactly! These Spurs fans just went out and ignore the next Wilt Chamberlain, who averaged 6 points and 4.2 fouls, while shooting 36.4% in this year's finals!

And who can forget Ariza, who was viewed as a piece that was replaced, by the mentally unstable, ball-stopping a step-slow Ron Artest!

These two players are clearly the equivalent of an All-Star and franchise player like Yao.

carrao45
07-11-2009, 01:25 AM

Dude nobody should give a shit about team of the decade

Shastafarian
07-11-2009, 02:37 PM

:lol Why are you so angry? Maybe you should sit the next one out there Chief.

erikuff
07-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Exactly! These Spurs fans just went out and ignore the next Wilt Chamberlain, who averaged 6 points and 4.2 fouls, while shooting 36.4% in this year's finals!

And who can forget Ariza, who was viewed as a piece that was replaced, by the mentally unstable, ball-stopping a step-slow Ron Artest!

These two players are clearly the equivalent of an All-Star and franchise player like Yao.
Couldn't have said it any better. Lakers fans keep bitching about Bynum being out; y'all must be kidding. He hasn't done shit to prove to even be a legitimate center.

A Bomb
07-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Couldn't have said it any better. Lakers fans keep bitching about Bynum being out; y'all must be kidding. He hasn't done shit to prove to even be a legitimate center.

Bynum hasn't done shit? Have you actually watched his games when he is fully healthy or did you just watch the finals? When Bynum was healthy he dominated every big men he faced.

Gasol skill wise is one of the very best big men ever and with the Lakers he didn't back down to anyone and plays with heart and is clutch unlike some other perennial all star bigmen. And enough with this soft shit, it wasn't too long ago people were labeling DRob and Td as being soft as pampers.

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
When Bynum was healthy he dominated every big men he faced.

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/61fps/2009/01/facepalm.jpg

ElNono
07-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Jeez, it wasn't two months ago that Dr Bipolar here was asking for Gasol's head on a platter when he was getting abused by none other than Carl Landry.

Pau Gasol is a fine young lady that overcame much of his softness with craftiness and skill. Good for him. He played well when it mattered and he earned a championship ring.

That said, I don't think he's near current Duncan levels, when both are healthy.

DrHouse
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Jeez, it wasn't two months ago that Dr Bipolar here was asking for Gasol's head on a platter when he was getting abused by none other than Carl Landry.

Pau Gasol is a fine young lady that overcame much of his softness with craftiness and skill. Good for him. He played well when it mattered and he earned a championship ring.

That said, I don't think he's near current Duncan levels, when both are healthy.

Defensively probably not. But offensively they are about equal.

ElNono
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM

I can agree with that at this point in their respective careers.

anakha
07-12-2009, 10:20 PM

What a concession there. :lol

Nahtanoj
07-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Your friend is an idiot.

Tim Duncan.

Ghazi
07-13-2009, 05:46 AM

Chauncey in 2004 and Terry in 2006 beg to differ.