PDA

View Full Version : Rasheed's comments on why he didn't go to the Spurs

Solid D
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
In his presser, Sheed said after the season ended early for them, he was thinking about teams he would go to. San Antonio, Dallas, Orlando, Cleveland, Boston..

He then talked about how the Boston team showed up and talked to him and his wife, then (later) they made their decision.

The real curious comment was a follow-up question regarding what helped make his decision. He said (paraphrased) he thought about San Antonio but that he wasn't that enthused about some of the moves they made to their roster.

???

What moves specifically were not mentioned. I wonder if he has an issue with RJ? Bowen leaving? Hmmm.

TDomination
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
He's probably referring to seeing Matt Bonners name still on the roster lol

xtremesteven33
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
hes pissed about Finley being back....

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Competing with Haislip for minutes scared him off.

lurker23
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
That's...odd.

Maybe RJ for KT, Oberto, and Bowen = less touches for Sheed?

Tully365
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM

I was gonna do this: :lol, but on second thought, that might really be the reason. I guess he forgot about Scalabrine!

timvp
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing he's not a Richard Jefferson fan. Not sure what else it could be.

Oh well. I'd rather have McDyess with a third-year non-guaranteed than Wallace with a third-year player option.

SonOfAGun
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Sheed's an idiot.

That would have been such a sick lineup.

timvp
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM

That crossed my mind as well. Especially after Rasheed's quote last year of the Pistons gameplan against the Spurs being "give it to whoever Bonner is guarding" :lol

Ice009
Hmm interesting. Maybe he wanted Vince Carter on the team ;).

I wonder what moves he is talking about.

So was he still the Spurs number 1 target or what? A lot of people said Boston's recruiting was too desperate and the Spurs approach was better, but it seems they were wrong and Rasheed really liked the Celtics hard push to get him. I really expected the Spurs to be there at 12:01am to talk to him, unless they didn't really want him that bad I don't know why they didn't.

ShoogarBear
That's okay. It's not a Spurs Championship unless somebody hits a game-winning three in Sheed's grill.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
On a more serious note, the Spurs picked up Blair and RC was talking about 20 minutes a night for him immediately. Maybe Rasheed saw that cutting into his PT.

SonOfAGun
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
How can it be bonner when Sheed coming here would have negated Bonner???

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I wish Sheed the best, and he would have been great for the Spurs, but now it's it's time to move on.

What's more, Dice is better for the Spurs than Sheed. It's that simple.

Also, Sheed is trying to rationalize the fact that he WANTED TO GO GO BOSTON, and he did so, and that's that.

But all of sudden, Sheed is a GM, an expert on Spurs players?

Excuses. Sheed, you wanted to go to Boston, and it fits you more personality wise, and that's fine (because Pop would have only tolerated your attitude to a degree).

But quite simply, the Spurs are better off WITHOUT Sheed than they ever would have been WITH him.

So thanks Sheed, for being the blessing in disguise.

timvp
07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Most likely explanation is the Spurs weren't willing to give Wallace a third year player option and he had to come up with an excuse on the fly.

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Wow, this could get ugly.. About a week ago, people were begging this guy to come. Now, I can see the majority of the spurs fans will shit on this guy. :lol
My, how quickly people can turn on you.

kace
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
On a more serious note, the Spurs picked up Blair and RC was talking about 20 minutes a night for him immediately. Maybe Rasheed saw that cutting into his PT.

i thought about it too, but really, i can't imagine Sheed afraid by the Bigs competition for a spot on the spurs rotation. not with mahinmi, Blair (2 young unproven) and Bonner as competitors.

xellos88330
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I think Sheed would have fit in the system. I doubted his ability to play within the system. Perhaps him going to Boston was a blessing in disguise. After all, McDyess has impeccable character and work ethic.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
no more love for sheed? i doubt he cares about playing time or touches seeing as he didn't in Detroit

mazerrackham
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not an extremely vocal member on these forums, but I stated from the beginning that I hoped we never sign Sheed. Dyess on the other hand is so perfect for our team. I'm elated. And I didn't change my opinion :)

kace
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Most likely explanation is the Spurs weren't willing to give Wallace a third year player option and he had to come up with an excuse on the fly.

really ? maybe. but i wouldn't have been shocked if he simply said he had a better offer from Boston, or Boston was his first choice stuff like that.

Usually, when you say thing like this ("i didn't like some of their moves"), you have a specific idea. don't know.

DBMethos
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Very odd comments indeed, especially since so many fans and critics alike were talking about how the Spurs were having the best offseason so far.

SonOfAGun
07-09-2009, 05:03 PM
haha I'm not mad at Sheed, I'm just bummed about what could have been

Can you imagine Sheed during a media interview when the natl. media is traditionally shitting on the Spurs!?!? That's the kind of stuff I have been dreaming of :depressed

afireinside20
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Damn sucks that we didn't land Sheed, but hey McDyess will be great for us anyway. Rasheed is crazy to think it was roster moves that made him not wanna come to SA, imo iI think he just made that up. Oh well, when you have KG, Ray, Paul and Danny Ainge basically kissing his ass and sucking his pinga, I guess he gave in. He'll regret it though, come June, when Dyess and Duncan are hoisting that trophy in front of him.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
haha I'm not mad at Sheed, I'm just bummed about what could have been

Can you imagine Sheed during a media interview when the natl. media is traditionally shitting on the Spurs!?!? That's the kind of stuff I have been dreaming of :depressed
:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Personally I'm not saddened by this. All I can picture in my head is Sean's dagger over Sheed in '99, and Horry's in '05. I'd love to see RJ hitting the series deciding shot over him in '10.

Plus he strikes me as someone who might not quite have fit here. McDyess should have been Plan A from the start, IMO.

kace
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Sheed could have been better but Dice is safer, and still very solid.

and with three NBA unproven players as Bigs (mahinmi, blair and haislip), it's not so bad to have a safer choice with Dice.

tmtcsc
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
That's okay. It's not a Spurs Championship unless somebody hits a game-winning three in Sheed's grill.

:toast Very nicely done.

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Damn sucks that we didn't land Sheed, but hey McDyess will be great for us anyway. Rasheed is crazy to think it was roster moves that made him not wanna come to SA, imo iI think he just made that up. Oh well, when you have KG, Ray, Paul and Danny Ainge basically kissing his ass and sucking his pinga, I guess he gave in. He'll regret it though, come June, when Dyess and Duncan are hoisting that trophy in front of him.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:
:toast

mytespurs
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm guessing he's not a Richard Jefferson fan. Not sure what else it could be.

Oh well. I'd rather have McDyess with a third-year non-guaranteed than Wallace with a third-year player option.

what would he have against Richard Jefferson? They play the same position?

timvp
Wallace would have given the 2009-10 an extremely high ceiling. If Wallace is playing at a high level, he's a damn near perfect fit on the Spurs.

That said, McDyess is a much, much safer option. Wallace would have resulted in headaches for the coaches and worries for the fans. And with Wallace, there would have been a chance that the chemistry just didn't work out. McDyess doesn't come with that risk.

In other words, Wallace would be like investing in a volatile stock, while McDyess is like investing in a mutual fund.

Bruno
The worst thing for an old vet who choose to play for a contender is being traded to a crappy team.
Maybe Sheed wasn't pleased to see that Spurs have traded Bruce and KT to Milwaukee and feared that they could also do it with him

Dark Gable
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Better connections in Boston?

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
The worst thing for an old vet who choose to play for a contender is being traded to a crappy team.
Maybe Sheed wasn't pleased to see that Spurs have traded Bruce and KT to Milwaukee and feared that they could also do it with him

Yeah, but why would Sheed think he'd be exempt from being traded in a few years from Boston?

Galileo
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
'Dice > 'Sheed

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM

:lmao It's gotta be Dice that does it. He went to Bama like Horry and his knees are jacked up like Sean's.

vander
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
How can it be bonner when Sheed coming here would have negated Bonner???

exactly!

he knew that if he came here, Bonner was going to show him up and take all his minutes.

smart man

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Nice cover. Truthfully it was probably about the Spurs not willing to guarantee x amount of dollars for him.

clubalien
07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm not an extremely vocal member on these forums, but I stated from the beginning that I hoped we never sign Sheed. Dyess on the other hand is so perfect for our team. I'm elated. And I didn't change my opinion :)

I think many people thought the chance of getting rwallace was higher then dice. at least i did.

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Sheed? Whozzat? Who the fugg cares?

Galileo
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
2008-2009:

Double Doubles

Regular Season

Dice 16 (out of 62 games, 13 of 30 when starting)
Sheed 15 (out of 66 games, 15 out of 63 when starting)

Playoffs

Dice 1
Sheed 0

Wins Shares

Regular Season

Dice 5.3
Sheed 4.8

Playoffs

Dice 0.2
Sheed 0.0

PER

Regular Season

Dice 16.6
Sheed 14.9

Playoffs

Dice 14.8
Sheed 6.1 (one of the lowest in history)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/2009.html

also note that in the 1995 NBA draft, Dice # 2 > Sheed # 3

galvatron3000
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Boston did what this off season outside of signing Sheed that impressed him?

K-State Spur
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
In his presser, Sheed said after the season ended early for them, he was thinking about teams he would go to. San Antonio, Dallas, Orlando, Cleveland, Boston..

He then talked about how the Boston team showed up and talked to him and his wife, then (later) they made their decision.

The real curious comment was a follow-up question regarding what helped make his decision. He said (paraphrased) he thought about San Antonio but that he wasn't that enthused about some of the moves they made to their roster.

???

What moves specifically were not mentioned. I wonder if he has an issue with RJ? Bowen leaving? Hmmm.

"not enthused about some of the moves they made with their roster"

is code for:

"i'm really impressed how KG managed not to drag his teeth at all..."

Fabbs
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Wow, this could get ugly.. About a week ago, people were begging this guy to come. Now, I can see the majority of the spurs fans will shit on this guy. :lol
+1
By and large SpurFan very defensive, making excuses.

galvatron3000
07-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Plus he strikes me as someone who might not quite have fit here. McDyess should have been Plan A from the start, IMO.

He probably was

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Wallace has on court basketball IQ. Not Basketball GM IQ.

scottspurs
07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Memorial Day Miracle 2.0 coming next June. Jefferson over Wallace. Or maybe Wallace leaves Duncan to guard Ginobili 2.0.

CubanMustGo
07-09-2009, 06:06 PM
+1
By and large SpurFan very defensive, making excuses.

By and large you attack everything the Spurs do, making excuses.

I'm OK with 'sheed heading to Boston, he did what he thought was best for him. Would I rather him be in SA? Sure, but Dice isn't a bad consolation prize and is arguably a better fit for the Spurs.

Booharv
07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
That crossed my mind as well. Especially after Rasheed's quote last year of the Pistons gameplan against the Spurs being "give it to whoever Bonner is guarding" :lol

He really said that?

elbamba
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I am happy he is not coming.

phxspurfan
07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Funny how everyone is saying Wallace was a big risk now, yet just a few days ago when I said it it was blasphemy.

phxspurfan
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130289

ffadicted
07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I think our the moves he's referring to is us leaving our front court bare thin with the RJ trade, and he didn't want to come in and be a savoir front court player.

AKA, he was lazy/felt he was too old for this shit lol. McDyess is the real man, he's not scared

montgod
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
That's...odd.

Maybe RJ for KT, Oberto, and Bowen = less touches for Sheed?

Nah... can't be that since he is going on a team with Rondo, Pierce, Allen, and Garnett. Who doesn't shoot??

If anything, his shots would have increased with the departure of Oberto and KT (although I see him returning).

montgod
07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I think our the moves he's referring to is us leaving our front court bare thin with the RJ trade, and he didn't want to come in and be a savoir front court player.

AKA, he was lazy/felt he was too old for this shit lol. McDyess is the real man, he's not scared

That could definitely be it but that is why you come in an talk with the FO to see what their direction would be.

Even still, if this is why, the it is a punk move just like when Gortat stated he didn't want to go to Houston because of the pressure to fill Yao's shoes.

Avitus1
07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Dah well he should of bite the bullet but fuck him if thats his dumbass reason then so be it.

timvp
07-09-2009, 06:50 PM
He really said that?

Yes.

Duncan2177
07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Wallace has issues.

Russ
07-09-2009, 06:57 PM
He said (paraphrased) he thought about San Antonio but that he wasn't that enthused about some of the moves they made to their roster.

Maybe Rasheed didn't want to face Blair in practice.

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 06:57 PM
One of the sportswriters wrote an article that Sheed was basically looking to loaf and not do the heavy lifting. Sounds like he was right, Sheed figured if he can only get half the dough he wants, he would go somewhere where he could play half the minutes. Does not sounds like an attitude befitting the Spurs organization. Doubt he does much at all with the Celtics, definitely expecting some career low stats out of the dude.

ducks
07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
that awesome because mcdysse has played less then 182 games
more then 2 seasons
so he maybe older but has played less games

daslicer
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I think it really came down to what one poster said about who does Sheed prefer to hang out with for Dinner and long trips either Manu,Bonner,RJ,Parker or KG,PierceAllen. It seems Boston has personalities he identifies more with then the spurs.

howbouthemspurs
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
He just wanted to be with his peoples. You know the kind of black people who over exagerate celebration after every made shot or dunk. Hes too gangsta for the spurs and Duncan. He would be more comfortable with Garnet. They have the same stereotype personality.

Russ
07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Rasheed is an East Coast guy (like Odom). Those guys usually don't sign on with the Spurs.

quentin_compson
07-09-2009, 07:12 PM

That's the meaning I got as well. Maybe Sheed didn't want to play a big role like the one he would have had with the Spurs any longer. In Boston, he's more or less the backup for Garnett, while in San Antonio, he would have been a starter (IF Fin doesn't land the starting PF-spot, that is ;)).

barbacoataco
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I think whoever said Sheed is lazy and didn't want to work his *ss off for the Spurs was right. The dude is chronic under-achiever.

Anyway I thought he was a bad fit for the Spurs. Why bring a head-case bad attitude player in now when the Spurs have always tried to sign class act players with character. When you have been using a philosophy for years, THAT WORKS, why change it now and sign someone like Sheed? Some of y'all were so into him that you forgot what he is really about.

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
One of the sportswriters wrote an article that Sheed was basically looking to loaf and not do the heavy lifting. Sounds like he was right, Sheed figured if he can only get half the dough he wants, he would go somewhere where he could play half the minutes. Does not sounds like an attitude befitting the Spurs organization. Doubt he does much at all with the Celtics, definitely expecting some career low stats out of the dude.

I buy it. He wants to party til retirement. He didn't like KT, etc., leaving.

bigdog
07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
To me it sounds like Rasheed didn't want to come over here and be the Spurs' savior. He's mentioned before that he doesn't want to be a star on his team, he'd rather be a piece to the puzzle. With the frontcourt being rather thin, he probably felt like he would need to be the savior.

quentin_compson
07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I think whoever said Sheed is lazy and didn't want to work his *ss off for the Spurs was right. The dude is chronic under-achiever.

Anyway I thought he was a bad fit for the Spurs. Why bring a head-case bad attitude player in now when the Spurs have always tried to sign class act players with character. When you have been using a philosophy for years, THAT WORKS, why change it now and sign someone like Sheed? Some of y'all were so into him that you forgot what he is really about.

Come on. Sheed may be "technical-prone", but he gets a lot of them because of his bad reputation.
Apart from that, I've never heard or read anything about him being a bad teammate or not being a good sport. "Head-case" - to some extent, maybe. But "bad attitude player" - I think that's being unfair to Wallace.

Bob Lanier
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
what would he have against Richard Jefferson? They play the same position?
Jefferson and the Nets have had a great deal of bad blood with the Pistons over the last decade.

Sheed probably isn't all that fond of Jefferson's whining that Billups broke his wrist on purpose a few years back.

hater
07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Sheed = Spurstrodamus

barbacoataco
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Come on. Sheed may be "technical-prone", but he gets a lot of them because of his bad reputation.
Apart from that, I've never heard or read anything about him being a bad teammate or not being a good sport. "Head-case" - to some extent, maybe. But "bad attitude player" - I think that's being unfair to Wallace.

He does have a bad attitude, and he is an under-achiever. The 1st thing people say about Sheed is that he could have been as good as Duncan but was too lazy throughout his career. He played hard for the 2004 and 2005 seasons, but now is not the player some think he is. His defense is also overrated. Anyway he's not a Spur so "who cares?"

Chillen
07-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Screw Sheed, he is out East now, let him help the Celtics. He had his chance to wear silver and black and I respect his choice, but the McDyess signing totally made up for losing out on Sheed.

lefty
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM

???

Is he still having nightmares about how game 5 of the 2005 Finals ended ?

If I left Horry wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open, I would :D

picnroll
07-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Boston was offering up Allen supposedly. Ainge will toss Sheed like spoiled fish if something better is available. and every players best friend, Doc, will say he hated to do it but he'll support his GM.

SenorSpur
07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I've got no malice against Sheed because he elected to go to Boston rather than come to the Spurs. He's now with an organization that he likes and the Spurs now have a former teammate of his, that they and we all like. At this point in time, it's irrelevant as to why he didn't come and he should've simply refrained from answering the question. Of course, time has proven that Sheed doesn't always know when to just shut up. Even as his skills have declined a bit, the one thing he's still good at is running his damn mouth.

picnroll
07-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I know Pop would have given him no slack for lazy or sloppy play. Not sure how well that would have gone down.

sprrs
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Memorial Day Miracle 2.0 coming next June. Jefferson over Wallace. Or maybe Wallace leaves Duncan to guard Ginobili 2.0.

It would be priceless if it was Bonner that hit a shot like that, after he stuffs Sheed's three at the other end.

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Good points, doesn't mesh well with Pop, better fit with goons like Garnett that like to yell F-U repeatedly in Duncan's face just because he finally made a play on TD. Also we would trade his ass in a heartbeat just for showing up with bad hair and a 'tude.

Initially I was not aware how effective Dice still was, so Wallace seemed like the "must have" for lack of a better alternative and dearth of bigs on our roster. It's not like I followed the Pistons AT ALL to know the quality of play from Dice. Now I am thinking "things happen for a reason" and won't be sad at all to miss out on the last couple of years of Sheed's act.

Dr. Gonzo
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Fuck Rasheed. I never wanted him on the team and I'm glad he is gonna suffer some massive failure in Boston.

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Fuck Rasheed. I never wanted him on the team and I'm glad he is gonna suffer some massive failure in Boston.

That was basically what I was saying, but in a more diplomatic and analytical way. I think it is now apparent Sheed is a lazy goon that would have disappointed us, and Dice is the consummate Spurs professional that was flying under the radar but perfect for us.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2009, 09:35 PM
If Bonner's the reason the Spurs ended up with McDyess instead of Rasheed, then I have to say Matt's earned his bloated paycheck.

Dr. Gonzo
07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
That was basically what I was saying, but in a more diplomatic and analytical way. I think it is now apparent Sheed is a lazy goon that would have disappointed us, and Dice is the consummate Spurs professional that was flying under the radar but perfect for us.

Excuse me for not being as sophisticated and intelligent as you douchebag.

rjv
07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
look-the guy is entitled to his opinion. in his mind, the celtics made better moves. i guess we'll find out if he was right or not come next may and june.

z0sa
07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
This does cast a shadow of doubt on Sheed's intentions. The Sheed I wanted was the Sheed from 04/05, hot tempered and streaky, but capable of aptly fulfilling a role. While I doubt he has become any less hot tempered and streaky, his caution towards signing with us precludes a lack of desire to really succeed. He will have less of a workload in Boston, especially if Powe makes a full - and early - recovery. But do you want to depend on that type of player come Playoff time?

I admit I was a supporter of Sheed signing for the Spurs. I believe he can turn around a pathetic performance in 09 with a refreshing run in '10 for Boston. I don't know for sure, though.

Spursmania
07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I too was a strong supporter of Sheed coming to SA. But in retrospect, McDyess is definitely the better fit. I can't wait to see how Dice plays with the rest of the guys.

Danny.Zhu
07-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't understand either.

Solid D
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
They replayed the video on Max sports tonight so here is Rasheed Wallace's exact quote:

"and not taking anything away from San Antonio but I..I would have to say that a few of the changes they made on their bench and their roster uh didn't quite sit with me too well, so I had to go to the best place where I felt as though it was a good fit for myself."

z0sa
07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Sheed was just :smokin

JamStone
07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Probably just talking out his ass and it was about having that third year as his option as some of you already stated. Plus, I heard KG also promised to give him handjobs before and after games and practice. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

SouthTexasRancher
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Damn, I'm glad RC & Pop were smart enough to get McDyess. I can't wait to see Sheed walk off the court while McDyess is holding the 2009-2010 NBA Championship Trophy high above his head with a gigantic smile on his face. Keep talking Sheed cause it's gonna bite you in the ass!!!

ploto
07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I think Rasheed was not a big fan of the Spurs dumping Bruce and KT and was concerned about the Spurs lessening focus on defense. I also assume he does not think RJ is the answer to the Spurs needs. Boston won the title last year and he apparently thinks with a heathy KG that they can again.

I always find it funny when fans get bent out of shape over a player saying exactly what they have been saying. Recall the responses here to the benching and subsequent trading of Bruce. Guess Rasheed was not a supporter of that move either.

I also very much enjoy all the people now jumping off the Rasheed bandwagon and onto the McDyess one after they were begging for Rasheed.

Brazil
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
You homers should not have taken that personal. If Im Sheed, I would love to kick some dirt in Queen James face by not allowing him to get to the finals. Also, If Im Sheed, I look at the Lakers sitting up top out west, and think to myself I'd rather be on the Celtics playing the Lakers, than on the Spurs playing the Lakers, espcially since the C's own the Lakers, and the Lakers own the Spurs.

:rolleyes

manufan10
07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Probably just talking out his ass and it was about having that third year as his option as some of you already stated. Plus, I heard KG also promised to give him handjobs before and after games and practice. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:lmao

SouthTexasRancher
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I think Rasheed was not a big fan of the Spurs dumping Bruce and KT and was concerned about the Spurs lessening focus on defense. I also assume he does not think RJ is the answer to the Spurs needs. Boston won the title last year and he apparently thinks with a heathy KG that they can again.

I always find it funny when fans get bent out of shape over a player saying exactly what they have been saying. Recall the responses here to the benching and subsequent trading of Bruce. Guess Rasheed was not a supporter of that move either.

I also very much enjoy all the people now jumping off the Rasheed bandwagon and onto the McDyess one after they were begging for Rasheed.

You should be worrying about your sorry ass Pacers. The Spurs will be fine.

Admiral
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I never wanted Rasheed. I have always thought he was a really talented guy who never lived up to his potential, mostly because he has a bad attitude and questionable work ethic. I'll take McDyess, any day of the week. It's a no-brainer.

Da Spurs
07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Does anyone even know if we really wanted Sheed first? Maybe we slipped it out there that we were after him to get everyone else off the trail. It's obvious we wanted McDyess more since we gave him supposedly a better contract than was allegedly offered Sheed. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

In any event, I'm much happier with McDyess. Much more of a Spur and he'll have a great finish to his career here. I still remember how much getting that championship meant to Finley. Antonio will get the same feelings!!!!:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Excuse me for not being as sophisticated and intelligent as you douchebag.

I rest my case. In fairness, I did attempt to communicate on your level (you should try that sometime) by referring to Sheed as a goon. Still no love, had to retaliate, whatever man.

Thompson
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
While I did want the Spurs to get Rasheed (I honestly don't know much about McDyess), I never really did like his personality. I'm glad I won't have to watch him get technicals in game after game, gritting my teeth and waiting to see Pop red-faced on the bench. I could do without that stress that something's going to happen in the locker room this year.

My only concern with McDyess is whether or not he has the size to match up with the Lakers (either Bynum or Gasol). Who guards who? Of course it would be nice if Mahinmi proved to be a capable defender, and he could guard Pau while Duncan guarded Bynum.

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 11:06 PM
My only concern with McDyess is whether or not he has the size to match up with the Lakers (either Bynum or Gasol). Who guards who? Of course it would be nice if Mahinmi proved to be a capable defender, and he could guard Pau while Duncan guarded Bynum.

Great reason why a true C like Splitter would be awesome, but that may just have to be the 2010 plan. Also hope Manu will reup for reasonable. Let's hope Ian is up to the task against a big team like the Lakers, he seems to have the length at 6-11 and has filled out some too. Not too many teams have the Lakers quality bigs and length though, and it might be fun to see Blair rip off Gasol's arm on a rebound like almost did to Thabeet. :lol

Ace9
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
D'oh! That's stupid on so many levels...hopefully this is a blessing in disguise. I guess 'Sheed just wants to avoid championship rings period. :lol

Spurtacus
07-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Deer Sheed,

Enjoy playing on the oldest starting roster in the league.

Sincerely,
The Better Team

timaios
07-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Are you here only to make negative posts about the Spurs ?
Everyday you come in that forum and you have negative comments.
Everyday.
Could you say one thing positive, just once.

cornbread
07-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Are you here only to make negative posts about the Spurs ?
Everyday you come in that forum and you have negative comments.
Everyday.
Could you say one thing positive, just once.

You know those women who can't stop themselves from talking shit about what every other woman in the restaurant is wearing?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Funny how everyone is saying Wallace was a big risk now, yet just a few days ago when I said it it was blasphemy.

Try two months ago. People thought I was insane when I started advocating against Sheed after we were knocked out of the playoffs, but I saw Sheed in about 10 games last year and thought he looked atrocious. Dice was always a better fit.

Rasheed is an East Coast guy (like Odom). Those guys usually don't sign on with the Spurs.

And a big market guy. ANd he and KG can go up to Maine and get themselves a civil union now, so it all works out! :lol

look-the guy is entitled to his opinion. in his mind, the celtics made better moves. i guess we'll find out if he was right or not come next may and june.

What moves???

They replayed the video on Max sports tonight so here is Rasheed Wallace's exact quote:

"and not taking anything away from San Antonio but I..I would have to say that a few of the changes they made on their bench and their roster uh didn't quite sit with me too well, so I had to go to the best place where I felt as though it was a good fit for myself."

Most people love to take a shot at the Spurs - boring, dirty, a bunch of yokels, whatever. Sheed is a big market glory boy - loves the limelight and controversy - so I reckon Sheed was just shooting par for the course and having a non-specific dig at our club because that's what people do. That, or he's homophobic and buys into the "RJ is gay" crap.

He's probably also a little pissed that we went straight out and signed his ex-frontcourt mate, who I am pretty sure was always our target anyway. If we were serious about Sheed we would have courted him with flowers, chocolates and a blow-job like the Celts did. :lol

raspsa
07-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Rasheed's comments really don't make sense to me. If he was referrring to the RJ trade and the players the Spurs had to give up to make it happen, then he doesn't appreciate how much better the Spurs are after the trade.

My guess is Rasheed was so impressed by Boston's courtship plus the KG connection and just maybe the Celts offered more money in the 3rd year. Sometime people start talking and begin a sentence without really knowing what they want to say and the funniest things come out of their mouths.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 11:47 PM

To be fair, you should also mention that you posted a number of times in the last week that you were SURE Dice wasn't coming here.

Not having a go at you, just setting the record straight.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-10-2009, 03:44 AM

Are you seriously accusing people of jumping off/on a bandwagon? You of all people? :lol

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Are you seriously accusing people of jumping off/on a bandwagon? You of all people? :lol
:king

Tully365
07-10-2009, 04:03 AM
:lol The threads from a week ago seemed to be about 80% in favor of Sheed and this one seems to be about 80% against Sheed.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 04:22 AM
:lol The threads from a week ago seemed to be about 80% in favor of Sheed and this one seems to be about 80% against Sheed.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2009, 04:38 AM
I've gone from being pretty sure that Rasheed was who the Spurs should target last week to being quite a bit more sure that Dice is a better fit and less risk. Rasheed's puzzling comments today just reinforce that position.

Chillen
07-10-2009, 05:08 AM

Cop out

"so I had to go to the best place where I felt as though it was a good fit for myself."

Fixed

rascal
07-10-2009, 06:09 AM
that awesome because mcdysse has played less then 182 games
more then 2 seasons
so he maybe older but has played less games

Not a good thing since he has played less games due to more serious injuries.

spurspokesman
07-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Yeah i'm with you on that ray. Sheed is still my boy. He did what he felt was best and I wont knock him for that. But to add to that this seems to bode well for the spurs. I wanted him to come but I also would of been happy with dice. So i'm good with it. Can't wait to play them. The one team that bonner plays well against. He will upstage sheed book it.:lmao

Tbiggums47
07-10-2009, 07:08 AM
The main reason is Rasheed was looking for a multi-year deal and possibly more than the MLE

Something that San Antonio would give to McDyess but were obviously hesistant to give Wallace

With Boston desperately needing a big man as insurance, they were willing to cave
Jay,

Are you back on board?:lobt2:

MarHill
07-10-2009, 07:09 AM

Ploto,

Spurs made a good trade for RJ by giving up KT, Bruce, and Fab. Any organization would have made that deal...especially in a financially tough situation like the Bucks are in right now. And it fills a major need for the Spurs at the SF position.

So if Rasheed is talking about that....that he isn't as smart as I though he was.

Plus, I was always lukewarm about the Spurs signing him. SenorSpur was trying to convince me the reasons the Spurs should get him. Ask him!!:lol

Still, he has been engimatic thoroughout his career and that's the one quality I don't like in a player. You can be good or bad (either way).....but don't be good when you want to be and bad when things aren't going your way. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

Lastly, maybe McDyess is the better fit for the Spurs. Dice will play in the low-post and Sheed doesn't play in the post as much as anymore. I wish Sheed good luck in Boston....and no ill will from me.

However, let's not make it that he was a flawless player and Spurs missed out on him big time!! That's an exaggeration!!

:flag:

Spurs_210
07-10-2009, 07:19 AM
We say we're signing Haislip and later that day he announces his decsion to go with the Celtics?

spurspokesman
07-10-2009, 07:23 AM
I think the true reason is he likes to sit out on the perimeter and fire away. He will be asked to do differently here. And maybe he feels that with almost equal talent in boston he can lay back and just shoot the long ball and play the post here and there.

urunobili
07-10-2009, 07:29 AM
lol... I couldn't care less... he was my option C for free agent Bigs... and option A got the job so... go rot with the Celts Sheed

Dro210
07-10-2009, 08:34 AM
I hate to see this. I've always hoped to see Sheed, one of my favorite players, in a Spurs uniform, way before just this year... that said, I'm more than happy with Dice.

but just saw this, and besides being a stomach turning image... Sheed is the fattest I've EVER seen him. (at least it looks that way in this picture) Wonder if he will get back in shape for the season or if this is how it's gonna be for him from now on? May have been a blessing in disguise to not get him if so.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/hogey717/1247230736412.jpg

symple19
07-10-2009, 08:58 AM
i think he went to boston because he thought he had a better chance to make it to the finals. He probably thinks the lakers are a lock in the west. And I still think he would have been better than Dice on both ends of the floor, but dice isn't far off. I'm content with how it came out

ambchang
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Would still love to have Rasheed, as I still think he fits better than Dice. But the fact is Dice is not that much a downgrade from Sheed, and that Sheed should be able to choose who he signs with.

Finally, I actually appreciate Sheed making his decision so soon instead of dangling the teams around, wasting the Spurs chances of going after other free agents.

smackdaddy11
07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Maybe he still has a case of red ass from Sean toasting him on Memorial Day.

:downspin:

Russ
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Rasheed's comments?

The Spurs wanted him.

The Celtics wanted him.

Both teams tried hard.

smackdaddy11
07-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Rasheed's comments?

The Spurs wanted him.

The Celtics wanted him.

Both teams tried hard.

DrHouse
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Rasheed wanted to win a ring. So he went to the Celtics.

TJastal
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Hard to believe there's still people upset that we didn't sign Wallace. This is getting old and boring already. :sleep

From his statements about the spurs it is clear he has some extreme distaste for the spurs. Undoubtedly because of the history of game winning shots that were executed on his by past spur teams (Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_, Robert Horry, etc). Wallace to me is the type that will hold a grudge forever. He certainly wouldn't have given it a 100% for the spurs. But he probably would have gladly milked the spurs out of millions if they would have been foolish enough to offer it.

Also, is it not obvious yet that the guy does not want to have the responsibility of being one of the main guys anymore? He wants a small role off the bench, thus why he avoided SA and joined the Celts. He knows his game is deteriorating, and if the last few playoff series are any indication, he has no heart either. He is going to quit as soon as the going gets tough and go suck his thumb in the corner. His shooting% has been in a downward spiral for 3-4 years now and he is increasingly content with sitting out on the perimeter now when he should be be mixing it up in the paint.

So la-dee-fucking-da he can hit a 3 at 35% the spurs have 6-7 other guys that can do that. Last I checked you don't get a bonus point for being over 6'10".

Lets not even get into the potential problems he could cause with his tantrums and mood swings. Popovich and him would have been at each other's throats by the all-star game for sure. It was a nightmare waiting to happen and thankfully, the F.O. obviously was leery of it and recognized the risks of Wallace were far > rewards.

TJastal
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Rasheed wanted to win a ring. So he went to the Celtics.

Celtics are getting a little long in the tooth, Rasheed just makes them even older. I don't see them getting past the Cavaliers or the Magic this year.

tp2021
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Hard to believe there's still people upset that we didn't sign Wallace. This is getting old and boring already. :sleep

That's what Holt said.

dc_spursfan
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Honestly, I think Sheed is just trying to save face!. Spurs did not fall madly in love with him and the Celtics did. He chose the place which showed more interest. Obviously Sheed to the Spurs is a good fit and he knows that. However Sheed wants to broadcast it this way so it seems he had control.

Dex
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
From his statements about the spurs it is clear he has some extreme distaste for the spurs. Undoubtedly because of the history of game winning shots that were executed on his by past spur teams (Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_, Robert Horry, etc).

who? :)

TJastal
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Honestly, I think Sheed is just trying to save face!. Spurs did not fall madly in love with him and the Celtics did. He chose the place which showed more interest. Obviously Sheed to the Spurs is a good fit and he knows that. However Sheed wants to broadcast it this way so it seems he had control.

Obviously, the F.O. didn't think he was a 'good fit'

guzmangm
07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
On Sheed's original comments money being equal, He probably thought it'd be an easier road to the finals with Boston than San Antonio. With us, we'd still have to contend with the Lakers, sucks too, because he would of been great against them. With Dallas too. Put him on Nowitski.

dc_spursfan
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Obviously, the F.O. didn't think he was a 'good fit'

I disagree because they would not have setup a visit with Sheed. Dice has a partial guarantee third year, quite role player and is a pick n pop player. Those things probably may have got SA attention more than Sheed. This doesn't mean Sheed wasn't a good fit it just means they like someone a little better.

bdubya
07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Sheed made one vague comment about the Spurs' offseason moves so far.....I'm not sure that merits quite so much hate.

guzmangm
07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Sheed made one vague comment about the Spurs' offseason moves so far.....I'm not sure that merits quite so much hate.

Spurs fans trying to make themselves feel better. Although I think McDyess was a good pick up, I for one think it would of been better to have Sheed when it really counts vs LA and to a lesser extent Dallas in the POs.

Strike
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Wallace went to Boston, McDyess came to San Antonio. Over. Done.

Move on.

rayray2k8
07-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh my god, you people need to let this go. :lol

guzmangm
07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
The whole point of message boards/forums is for conversation either factual or hypothetical. Besides it wasn't that long ago that we signed McDyess... So even though it's over, it's not far removed... If that's the way it's gonna be than we shouldn't mention any of the spurs championships in any conversation, because they are over and done too. 1999 is so distant know... 2007, oh hell we still had Horry... Where's that guy now??? (sarcasm)

bdubya
07-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Spurs fans trying to make themselves feel better. Although I think McDyess was a good pick up, I for one think it would of been better to have Sheed when it really counts vs LA and to a lesser extent Dallas in the POs.

As far as what each one can/could have offered the Spurs, Sheed has a higher ceiling. I think with the team personality of the Spurs, Sheed would probably have been inspired to deliver when it counts...but there would have been no guarantee, and if his attitude went south, the results wouldn't be pretty. With Dice, OTOH, I have absolutely no doubt that he'll leave everything he has on the floor, every single game this season. Sheed's got more talent, but I think Dice is a better fit for SA.

Malice
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh well. Wish him the best.

Expect when we see your ass twice this year and the off chance we see you in the Finals. Then you can go f yourself. :ihit

S_A_Longhorn
07-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Hey I was one who wanted him here, but if he has problems with this roster, than screw him! It's been one of the best off-seasons for the Spurs ever. I trust RC and Pop based on their resume versus Sheed any day.

And twice on Game 7 days in the Finals.

Malice
07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Its not hard to figure out the animosity towards Wallace fellas.

If he's not with us, then he's against us. Its called the bunker mentality. Us against the world.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I disagree because they would not have setup a visit with Sheed.

So the fact that said meeting never took place doesn't matter? We were speculating last weekend that perhaps the Spurs were the ones that told Rasheed to go ahead and sign with Boston. Besides, there weren't any personnel changes made between the time 'sheed agreed to visit and the time he committed to the Celtics. His comments were most likely just a way to explain it away and save face.

jack0fspeed
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Hard to figure out what Rasheed was thinking about when he made that comment.

I mean, he must have thought long and hard about coming to San Antonio right? Either that or he got high and flipped a coin.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
The whole point of message boards/forums is for conversation either factual or hypothetical. Besides it wasn't that long ago that we signed McDyess... So even though it's over, it's not far removed... If that's the way it's gonna be than we shouldn't mention any of the spurs championships in any conversation, because they are over and done too. 1999 is so distant know... 2007, oh hell we still had Horry... Where's that guy now??? (sarcasm)
:dizzy

Rummpd
07-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Simply put he backed the wrong horse.

gospursgojas
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Its funny how everyone hates him now...

Spursmania
07-10-2009, 05:58 PM
At this point, who cares:sleep

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Simply put he backed the wrong horse.
:deadhorse:deadhorse

Biernutz
07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Sheed said the best Mexican food he ever ate was at Taco Bell in Detroit. He wanted to go to Boston to keep eating the best Mexican food in the world. :hungry:

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Sheed said the best Mexican food he ever ate was at Taco Bell in Detroit. He wanted to go to Boston to keep eating the best Mexican food in the world. :hungry:

slayermin
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
If we got rid of Bonner, Rasheed would be the better fit.

Since it looks as though we are keeping the Red Rocket, McDyess makes sense because it gives the Spurs more diversity on the front line.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
It would be priceless if it was Bonner that hit a shot like that, after he stuffs Sheed's three at the other end.
:king

Obstructed_View
07-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Its funny how everyone hates him now...

He's a Celtic. Don't you?

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Did I not call it? ... Did I not call it? Rasheed isn't stupid, he saw that we brought in a guy making 15 million that was a 0-time all-star. He saw that we were bringing in some big man scrub from Europe.

Sheed is a great player. Sheed is not a GM. And if he were, he'd be a terrible one.

If he didn't know that joining this team would easily make it ring worthy, then that is his mistake.

He will realize this when he sees Dice celebrating the victory that could have been his.

TJastal
07-11-2009, 05:52 AM

Interesting there are still devoted Sheed lovers even in the face a growing list of negatives. Lets rehash again an earlier thread of "when it really counts" he becomes a non-factor. He dissappears. Spurs fans should know this, as he was a non-factor in game 7 of the 2005 finals. Who showed up for that one? Oh, right.. our guy, McDyess. What makes you so confident against the lakers with a guy that can only tally 1 rebound in a deciding game 7? Would that get it done vs Lakers you think? Maybe I should just ask, do you think, period?

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/7/9/943443/get-to-know-your-new-spurs-3-san

Mention the 2005 NBA Finals to a Pistons fan. One thing usually comes to mind immediately. Game 5...Rasheed...Horry...ballgame. In a nutshell, that was the series. Or so everyone is led to believe. That loss, while as devastating a loss that any team could experience, did not decide the series. The Pistons stormed in to San Antonio and snatched Game 6. It was now a one game series. Winner take all. And to nobody's surprise, Antonio McDyess came with everything he had in Game 7. He was magnificent. Burying his patent fadeaway on the left baseline, hitting the offensive and defensive glass harder than anyone else on the floor, dishing to Big Ben for easy dunks, blocking shots...he was doing everything. When Rasheed Wallace picked up his 4th foul early in the 3rd, the score was tied. And you know who was entering the game. I always felt that if the Spurs were given an option at that point to remove two of Wallace's fouls and let him stay on the court instead of bringing in McDyess, they would have agreed without an ounce of trepidation. You just didn't wanna mess with Antonio in Game 7. It was his night. Or at least it should have been.

As the 3rd quarter wore on, a pattern was starting to emerge. The Pistons were taking control of this game. A 9-0 run culminating in an easy layup for McDyess had the San Antonio fans nearly silent. Not ones to go away softly, Duncan and Ginobili teamed up for 7 straight of their own. Larry Brown called timeout. The lead was down to 2, and the crowd was practically tearing the roof off of the SBC Center. The Pistons needed a bucket in the worst way. Out of the T.O., our man cans a 20-footer. Nails. Nobody wanted it more. Another Dyess board. Tay with a jumper, and the lead was 6 again. You got the feeling that the Pistons had taken the Spurs best shot, and managed to steal the momentum right back. We were 16 minutes from back-to-back titles. Then came one of the most questionable coaching decisions in basketball history.

McDyess picked up his 4th foul with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd. Boom...here comes Lindsey Hunter jumping up off the bench. This was Game 7 of the NBA Finals. There was just over a quarter of basketball left to decide a champion. If you asked anyone who had been the best Piston to that point in the game, the answer would be simple: Antonio McDyess. The only way that decision makes any sense is if Larry Brown was planning on inserting Dyess at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and he wanted to make sure he still had 2 fouls to work with. Get him out now for the rest of the 3rd, try and keep the cushion, and bring him back to start the final quarter. But even trying to justify the move with that line of thinking is flawed. The Pistons were in control, on the road, with limited time remaining in the most important game of the entire season. And we were willingly removing our best player from the lineup because he had 4 fouls? A guy that had fouled out exactly one time in the last 89 games? There has never been a more appropriate situation to say, "If we lose this game, it's gonna be with our best players on the court." The rest of the night is still blurry in my mind...everything happened so fast.

Much like the Pistons of this year, the small lineup LB employed (Chauncey, Lindsey, Rip, Tay, Ben) to end that 3rd was a disaster. The 6 point lead McDyess left with evaporated and the game was deadlocked heading into the 4th. Only, McDyess was still stapled to the bench. You'd have thought his removal in the 3rd was strictly done so he could come back aggressively to start the 4th. Incorrect. Larry Brown left him sitting there, unable to help his team win the title that he so desperately craved. Rasheed Wallace now played in his stead. The same Rasheed Wallace that had left Robert Horry alone at the end of Game 5 and would total exactly one rebound in this deciding contest. :lol Duncan took over from there, either scoring or drawing double teams to allow for open 3's. Bowen...Horry...more Manu...the game that had once looked so promising was now turning into a nightmare. By the time Coach Brown decided it was safe to allow Antonio McDyess to reenter with his 4 fouls, half the quarter was gone and the 6 point lead he'd left with was now a 6 point deficit. It was uneventful from there. McDyess stayed on the court for all of 3 minutes, took 1 shot, and was removed for good. The Spurs ended up winning by 7, a 13 point swing from the moment McDyess was yanked in the 3rd.

zepn
07-14-2009, 08:23 PM
"They kept a portion of their mid-level exception after signing Antonio McDyess with the intentions of using it on Blair"

So the Spurs insistance on using part of the MLE on Blair may have resulted in 'sheed not getting offered the full MLE and therefor not signing with the Spurs, and his statement that he wasn't fond of some of the Spurs off-season moves (getting Blair).