PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: This one is for the die-hards

Spurs Brazil
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
This one is for the die-hards
By Jeff McDonald on Jul 9, 09 03:14 PM |
The Spurs had a media event for their summer league team today, which was actually much more interesting than it sounds. The first thing we in the press horde noticed: The Spurs' summer league team doesn't practice nearly as long as their NBA team.

The Spurs kick off summer league play Sunday. Here are some odds and ends from today's festivities:

* Newly signed forward Marcus Haislip worked out with the team, but will not accompany it to Las Vegas. He looks to be a shade under 6-foot-10, more of a pick-and-pop forward than a power forward. In the 20 minutes of 5-on-5 we were allowed to see, Haislip displayed decent range on his jumper. He also missed a bunch of free throws. He'll fit right in.

* Nando de Colo, the third of the Spurs' second-round picks, won't play in Vegas after all. He has a prior commitment with his Euro team.

* Malik Hairston was all smiles, and should be. The Spurs rewarded him with a contract Wednesday, intent on letting him compete for one of the remaining roster spots. Marcus Williams won't play in the summer league after undergoing offseason wrist surgery but is expected to have a chance to make the roster when he comes back. The Spurs will probably wait to see how they acquit themselves before making a decision on whether to bring back Ime Udoka.

* Two players facing critical summers: George Hill and Ian Mahinmi. Hill will be handed the point-guard reins of the summer league squad, and allowed to sink or swim. The Spurs need him to be Mark Spitz -- he is their best option behind Tony Parker at this point. After losing the entire 2008-09 campaign to injury, Mahinmi needs to remind the Spurs of the potential that once made him a first-round draft choice. They have until the end of October to pick up his option for a fourth season.

* DeJuan Blair falling into the Spurs' lap on draft night certainly complicates the Spurs' decision-making regarding James Gist.

* Jack McClinton is a little dude, but I wouldn't want to fight him in a back alley.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/some-summer-lea.html#more

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
How is that for the die-hards? Should have been: "This one is for the people who hadn't figured this out last week."

Mr. Body
07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
* Jack McClinton is a little dude, but I wouldn't want to fight him in a back alley.

So don't call him little.

bigdog
07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
McDonald, yet again, wasted another article on stuff the most of us know already.

mattyc
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Nothing earth shattering in there, and I think the intended humour needs some work! :wakeup

Russ
07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
This one is for the die-hards
By Jeff McDonald on Jul 9, 09 03:14 PM |
* Newly signed forward Marcus Haislip worked out with the team, but will not accompany it to Las Vegas.
He also missed a bunch of free throws. He'll fit right in.

On the other hand, Haislip hit over 80% of his free throws last year in Europe.

hater
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
crappy article yet again

Gino2882
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
What is holding any of us back from getting a job like Mcdonald's? Jesus Christ, there are 2000 people here who could of wrote that...

Libri
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
What is "die hard" about that article?

Dingle Barry
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Where did E-N find this shitty piece of shit anyways? Seriously, what were his credentials?

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
What is "die hard" about that article?

Maybe AMC has a Bruce Willis marathon on and he couldn't help himself. :wow

Dingle Barry
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
nevermind

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Continued...

I compared my shoes with those of Blair's. Boy are they huge!

I was only able to count 14 of the 16 tattoos Jack McClinton has.

timvp
07-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Someone should ask McDonald if Morris Almond was working out with the team today.

celldweller
07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Wow. This guy is bad. Dumb article.

mando6599
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
What is holding any of us back from getting a job like Mcdonald's? Jesus Christ, there are 2000 people here who could of wrote that...

With grammar like that, you could be next in line!

j/k

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
we miss you johnny!

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/cn/headshots/johnny_luden.jpg

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I guess no news is better than no news?

stéphane
07-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Don't you have journalism schools out there in the great United States? :rolleyes

I'm not even bashing the assumptions but you seriously can't publish an article with such a poor form.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
McDonald needs to die-hard.

DynastyBuilder
07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I know quite a few of you have it out for Jeff, but this complaint is non-sense "blogs" aren't exactly "articles."

http:// blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/some-summer-lea.html#more

FuzzyLumpkins
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I know quite a few of you have it out for Jeff, but this complaint is non-sense "blogs" aren't exactly "articles."

http:// blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/some-summer-lea.html#more

Thank you. It seems a lot of people are jealous of McDonald.

I didn't know Haislip wasn't going to LV and if say you did youre lying.

The only reason that we had any idea that de Colo was probably not going to go is because of Bruno being a wellspring of knowledge about European basketball and he wasn't even sure. At least Bruno has some class.

Actually for a blog its fairly well written and formatted.

Whats fucked up is that a lot of you are taking credit for what is reported on the board with contributions of at the very least dozens of people and then hammer this one guy for whatever little bullshit you can. Its mean-spirited and pretty fucked up.

I guess thats the interwebs for you.

howbouthemspurs
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I can write better shit than this! Does he really get paid for this garbage?

rjv
07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
ian and hill definitely are under the microscope. williams' wrist injury is very unfortunate and this is not a good thing for him at all. curious as to why haislip will not make the trip. and i had forgotten all about ime. wonder if he will be paying attention to the play of hairston at all.

tmtcsc
07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I guess no news is better than no news?

Good one !:lol

ElNono
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you. It seems a lot of people are jealous of McDonald.

I didn't know Haislip wasn't going to LV and if say you did youre lying.

The only reason that we had any idea that de Colo was probably not going to go is because of Bruno being a wellspring of knowledge about European basketball and he wasn't even sure. At least Bruno has some class.

Actually for a blog its fairly well written and formatted.

Whats fucked up is that a lot of you are taking credit for what is reported on the board with contributions of at the very least dozens of people and then hammer this one guy for whatever little bullshit you can. Its mean-spirited and pretty fucked up.

I guess thats the interwebs for you.

Nobody bitched when Ludden, a guy that obviously cared about his profession, took the time to write well versed articles, besides of adding a tidbit or two of information, and attempting to fact check as humanly possible.

This guy reeks of lazy and unprofessional.

jag
07-09-2009, 10:20 PM
It does get kind of annoying having to read everyone on here acting like they know "insider" spurs info. There are knowledgeable posters on here...but they are few and far between.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 10:20 PM

I hate this "blog" cop out bs. He's still a journalist who publishes his work on a newspapers portal website. No excuses whatsoever.

Sobe_Kucks
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
What was left out was that the article was written in crayon on a Big Chief notepad...

bigdog
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
It does get kind of annoying having to read everyone on here acting like they know "insider" spurs info. There are knowledgeable posters on here...but they are few and far between.

It's not that we have insider info, it's just that a lot of the posters on here find out most of this information from other sites and sources about a week before McDonald writes it. So, most of the time, his articles and blogs are meaningless.

jag
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
It's not that we have insider info, it's just that a lot of the posters on here find out most of this information from other sites and sources about a week before McDonald writes it. So, most of the time, his articles and blogs are meaningless.

I don't find much of his info that insightful, either...but the attitudes of some of the posters on here is ridiculous.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Jeff McDonald should be nominated for laziest blogger in history. Can't the guy ever say anything original or interesting?

ST is generally 2 days ahead of this ball of turd.

DPG21920
07-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Jeff McDonald should be nominated for laziest blogger in history. Can't the guy ever say anything original or interesting?

ST is generally 2 days ahead of this ball of turd.

At least he is not tweeting his b.s. :lol

DynastyBuilder
07-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I hate this "blog" cop out bs. He's still a journalist who publishes his work on a newspapers portal website. No excuses whatsoever.

Hate it all you want but it's not going to be published in the paper tomorrow. It's a blog.

At least he is not tweeting his b.s. :lol

actually he probably should, instead of wasting a blog with bullet points.

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
How does Blair affect what decision they make on Gist? I would think Haislip has more to do with that decision.

Is there room for Udoka? Even if they trade Finley? It would be just like the Spurs to bring him back instead of Bowen.

EricB
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Ah the journalism know it alls and majors are back at it again.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Ah the journalism know it alls and majors are back at it again.

Ah the know it all back at it again.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 12:26 AM
What was left out was that the article was written in crayon on a Big Chief notepad...
:lol

sabar
07-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Nobody bitched when Ludden, a guy that obviously cared about his profession, took the time to write well versed articles, besides of adding a tidbit or two of information, and attempting to fact check as humanly possible.

This guy reeks of lazy and unprofessional.

People trashed Ludden's articles quite frequently on this site.

People need to turn their expectations down a notch. Newspapers are bleeding money and they don't cater to the hardcore sports crowd that spends hours a day watching an internet forum for news about their team. They are for the everyday Joe that probably gets their Spurs news once a week.

Also, very few blogs, even those by professional writers, are actually presented professionally. I don't even follow blogs hardcore and I know that.