PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Better Not Be Finished Dealing

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm getting less and less enthused about this Shawn Marion deal with each passing minute. I know it's a big move, making us far more athletic. We're definitely a much better team, probably 4th in the West now.

But we still have some big holes to fill. Shawn makes us more athletic, but he can't dribble or create his own shot. He's prone to camping in the corner and jacking up 3's.

We still don't have someone who can take the pressure off Dirk in crunch time. San Antonio has 3 crunch-time options. The Lakers have 2. The Nuggets have 2. The Mavs still have just Dirk. We still need someone who is capable of creating his own shot, someone who can keep defenses from swarming Dirk.

And we still need a guy who can guard an opposing point guard man-to-man. Kidd plays spectacular team defense and help defense, but we all know that in 1-on-1 situations, Kidd can't stay in front of anybody. As of right now, our best PG defender on the team is Rodrigue freakin' Boubiosioiis. Are we at all comfortable with letting him take on Chris Paul & Tony Parker?

So two huge holes still left to fill. Kudos to Mark & Donnie for doing something right today. Now do a couple more things right and we'll pretend the last 3 offseasons never happened.

BlackSwordsMan
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
:cheer:cheer

mattb_25
07-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm getting less and less enthused about this Shawn Marion deal with each passing minute. I know it's a big move, making us far more athletic. We're definitely a much better team, probably 4th in the West now.

But we still have some big holes to fill. Shawn makes us more athletic, but he can't dribble or create his own shot. He's prone to camping in the corner and jacking up 3's.

We still don't have someone who can take the pressure off Dirk in crunch time. San Antonio has 3 crunch-time options. The Lakers have 2. The Nuggets have 2. The Mavs still have just Dirk. We still need someone who is capable of creating his own shot, someone who can keep defenses from swarming Dirk.

And we still need a guy who can guard an opposing point guard man-to-man. Kidd plays spectacular team defense and help defense, but we all know that in 1-on-1 situations, Kidd can't stay in front of anybody. As of right now, our best PG defender on the team is Rodrigue freakin' Boubiosioiis. Are we at all comfortable with letting him take on Chris Paul & Tony Parker?

So two huge holes still left to fill. Kudos to Mark & Donnie for doing something right today. Now do a couple more things right and we'll pretend the last 3 offseasons never happened.

They supposedly still have one more big move that is supposed to help out according to dallasbasketball.com.. I really hope it is an athletic 2 but who knows... I want childress to come here, I really think he could help us out a lot.

I wanna know who you think we could get that would slow down PG's like Paul or TP, because honestly I really cant think of any ATM that we could actually get. Seriously though, which team with a waterbug PG made a lot of noise in the playoffs this year? Spurs and Hornets lost in first round.. Umm Houstonwith brooks lost to Lakers... Orlando is the only team that I can think of that had a semi fast pg in Alston but he's not all that good, and maybe theCav's but Mo doesn't worry me. So do we honestly need a PG stopper as long as we have good team D??

Ghazi
07-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Slowing down paul is irrelevant since the Hornets are gonna be cellar dwellars

JamStone
07-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Isn't Jason Terry considered a pretty good clutch player? Has that sentiment changed based on this past season? The only move the Mavs can make to do something like that would be to move Josh Howard. Who can the Mavs get for Josh?

Ghazi
07-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Only about 8% of Marion's shots last year were 3's so he isn't really a 3-PT camper/jacker.

Crunchtime options don't grow on trees, got any names that are on the market?

IronMexican
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Isn't Jason Terry considered a pretty good clutch player? Has that sentiment changed based on this past season? The only move the Mavs can make to do something like that would be to move Josh Howard. Who can the Mavs get for Josh?

Damp is movable. Mavs could get something pretty good for him and J-ho.

djohn2oo8
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Slowing down paul is irrelevant since the Hornets are gonna be cellar dwellars

No, that'll be the Rockets if they don't hurry up and pull the trigger on a deal for stoudamire

monosylab1k
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm mainly worried about Tony Parker. Last year we got away with letting him do whatever he wanted because he had zero help with Duncan hurt & Manu out. This year will probably be a little different.

And as bad as New Orleans could possibly be next season, I'd still take them over this current Mavs team in a 7 game series. Chris Paul kills every team, but he makes it a point to have superhuman 40/15/10 nights against Dallas.

Amarelooms
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Mavs should not make trades just to make trades. Unless there is an awesome deal out there Mavs should just add Hollins and Singleton & wait and see how this team looks. There are too many players on the roster as is....no point in being foolish :elephant

Bob Lanier
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
honestly I really cant think of any ATM that we could actually get.
Giving or receiving?

Culburn369
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
...no point in being foolish :elephant

...force of habit withstanding.

hater
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Dirk for Durant

jack sommerset
07-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Mavs keep Bass they might be the 2nd best team now. J-Ho showed a bit at the end of last season and his contract will be up soon. I think Nuggets just got hot at right time and they have done nothing to improve. Rockets might not even make Playoffs. Spews suck and someone on that team will get hurt. Portland might move up with a trade. Who knows what the Jazz will bring. Hornets will be a one man team. It's all about the Lakers period. They freaken got Artest!. I honestly think even if Kobe was hurt this Laker team could beat all the rest. I know sounds crazy.

Spursfan092120
07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Seriously though, which team with a waterbug PG made a lot of noise in the playoffs this year? Spurs and Hornets lost in first round.. So do we honestly need a PG stopper as long as we have good team D??
Tony is a LOT better with a healthy Manu..and with RJ, he's only going to be even better...he's not just about driving with healthy talented wings.

ElNono
07-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Add to that laundry list some depth on the bench, especially if Bass goes away.

Amarelooms
07-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Bass is gone. Someone else will have to play 15 mins off the bench at PF....no biggie. Maybe that white black guy the Mavs just got in the trade :elephant

exstatic
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Damp is movable. Mavs could get something pretty good for him and J-ho.

Damp would be movable if he were an ending contract, but he's got two years $24M left, and he's a journeyman banger post defender type center. Damp ain't goin' NOWHERE. JHo could bring them something decent back.

How much did Dallas end up overpaying Marion? He's really just Bowen on offense with better rebounding and finishing ability. He'd have a hard time creating a bowel movement left alone for a week with a jar of prunes and nothing else to eat.

DPG21920
07-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Damp would be movable if he were an ending contract, but he's got two years $24M left, and he's a journeyman banger post defender type center. Damp ain't goin' NOWHERE. JHo could bring them something decent back.

How much did Dallas end up overpaying Marion? He's really just Bowen on offense with better rebounding and finishing ability. He'd have a hard time creating a bowel movement left alone for a week with a jar of prunes and nothing else to eat.

Damps contract is almost all unguaranteed next year I believe.

Findog
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Terry can get his shot off in crunchtime. And Howard has a team option for 10/11, so he will be valuable expirer next season.

Findog
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Damps contract is almost all unguaranteed next year I believe.

Yeah, ecstatic is not familiar with THE DUST CHIP:

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullArchiveColumn.php?id=1810

Ghazi
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM

At the present, Terry/Barea/Dampier/Humphries is not a bad bench at all... I would like Singleton to come back too, he was pretty productive in his limited action last year.

I don't see many minutes for Bass as it is, the addition of Marion/Gortat eats up a chunk of the minutes available at 4/5.

cnyc3
07-09-2009, 10:54 PM
non-douche thread :tu

Denver's Athleticism really gave the Mavs trouble last year and Marion can only help. he's also another defender they can throw at TP and maybe CP. With no Yao and Denver losing Jones, Mavs are up there in the Top 4, maybe 3.

pauls931
07-10-2009, 07:49 AM
non-douche thread :tu

Denver's Athleticism really gave the Mavs trouble last year and Marion can only help. he's also another defender they can throw at TP and maybe CP. With no Yao and Denver losing Jones, Mavs are up there in the Top 4, maybe 3.

My memory is foggy, did the suns ever use marion to guard PGs?

Ghazi
07-10-2009, 08:13 AM
yes

monosylab1k
07-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Terry can get his shot off in crunchtime.

Terry can make crunchtime shots, but I don't think he's very good at all at creating his own shot (or at least creating a good shot). Dirk is the only guy I have any confidence in when the game is on the line. Terry is hit and miss, Josh is nonexistent, and Kidd can hit an open 3, but he's not capable of creating an open 3. Marion doesn't help that either. It's still all Dirk in crunch-time, which is still a problem.

sribb43
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Terry can make crunchtime shots, but I don't think he's very good at all at creating his own shot (or at least creating a good shot). Dirk is the only guy I have any confidence in when the game is on the line. Terry is hit and miss, Josh is nonexistent, and Kidd can hit an open 3, but he's not capable of creating an open 3. Marion doesn't help that either. It's still all Dirk in crunch-time, which is still a problem.

Mavs had too many damn close games last season against some of the bottom feeders of the league, they ended up winning most of them but next season I'm assuming there will be less of these type games. JET is a nice crunchtime player to fall back as a decoy to Dirk but the Mavs still lack that one player that can create his own shot in the final seconds. Everyone knows Dirk's go to moves in cruchtime..its either the face up, jab-step one dribble mid range pullup or the fake left/right turn around fadeaway.

QYRNs4uYDDY

cLxOz1YbZC4

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2009, 08:52 AM
SHAWN marion knows when his contract expires, his going to get a nice extention from the mavs....i wonder why you guys didnt sign marquis daniels??

Shank
07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
SHAWN marion knows when his contract expires, his going to get a nice extention from the mavs....i wonder why you guys didnt sign marquis daniels??

Who says they can't?

sribb43
07-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Just heard Donnie on "The Ticket" and said signing Bass is a long shot and that a player at his age is looking for more PT and they dont have the minutes on this team that he is looking for. Mavs would be open to and S&T with a team under the cap in which they wouldnt receive players back in return. S&T with the Magic for Bass and Gortat is a possibility.

-Working hard to bring back James Singleton
-Ryan Hollins probably gone as well...would like to bring back but another young player looking for minutes (Mavs got a 3rd center from the Raptors in deal)
-Mavs might hold on to BAE and save it for next offseason

PBEEZY
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
With Bass going to the Magic, i'm sure you guys aren't finished dealing yet.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Giving or receiving?

:lmao

Spursmania
07-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought Gortat going to the Mavs was a done deal? You guys need him.
I don't think Magic has the money to match, so why are there rumors about Magic matching? Didn't they just sign Bass? It's got to be bullshit.