PDA

View Full Version : Guadalupe State Park or Blanco State Park tomorrow?

CharlieMac
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Or any other suggestions within an hour of here.

I'm looking for a quick picnic trip. I've never been to either park, which do you suggest?

Summers
07-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Never been to either, but Landa Park in New Braunfels is a big park with lots of picnic tables, lots of huge shade trees, a freezing cold spring fed wading pool, paddle boats on the river, train to ride with the kids and playscapes. Oh, but you have to pay for the tables, which is really lame.

CharlieMac
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
10 dollar table fee doesnt seem bad....

We're trying to get a quiet day away from the kids:hat

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Guadalupe State Park is basically dry.

Blanco State Park still has (non-flowing) water because of the Dam. The water isn't particularly deep (maybe 5'? now?) but you can definitely cool off.

I would vote for Blanco SP. It's a pretty well kept secret. If you are motivated you can rent kayaks at the park and paddle upstream for about a 1/2 mile to the next dam on the river and get some privacy that way.

ploto
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I like Pedernales Falls but I would assume it is dried up, as well.

It really depends on what you want to do. You don't really hike at Blanco. It is more like a picnic and play in the water spot- which may be preferable in this heat.

ORION
07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
For camping Guadalupe state park. For fishing Blanco state park. I've always had a great time camping at Guadalupe but its better to go in the fall or when its colder.

IceColdBrewski
07-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Blanco. As someone already said, there's a dam that makes for a good swimming hole.

JoeChalupa
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm glad I didn't go up to Guadalupe State Park if it is dry. Landa Park in NB is great if you can grab a good spot. I didn't know they charged for tables now though.

marini martini
07-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Just got back from 3 days in Austin's Barton Springs,

Nice!:toast

CosmicCowboy
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm glad I didn't go up to Guadalupe State Park if it is dry. Landa Park in NB is great if you can grab a good spot. I didn't know they charged for tables now though.

They charged $4 a head at Blanco State Park for entry last time I was there...(about a month ago)

MannyIsGod
07-10-2009, 07:57 PM
A lot of the state parks are empty as hell right now other than the ones like Gardnier. I remember going to Colorado Bend during the summer and it being completely desolate - same thing with Lost Maples.

They'll almost all certainly be super dry though, which sucks.

CharlieMac
07-10-2009, 10:23 PM
We actually went to Boerne City Lake today.

It wasn't bad. 8 bucks a car load and the facilities are really new and really clean. There isn't much there but as Manny said, it was fucking dead for it being a Friday. The lake was actually clean and teh water was warm. Their website says the renovated and it opened in April of this year so that may be why it was so dead. I'd recommend it for a quick picnic 30 miles from here.

Das Texan
07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
A lot of the state parks are empty as hell right now other than the ones like Gardnier. I remember going to Colorado Bend during the summer and it being completely desolate - same thing with Lost Maples.

They'll almost all certainly be super dry though, which sucks.

Dinosaur Valley State Park was fucking crowded about 3 weeks ago. I was annoyed.

I'm probably going to Pedernales State Park on Monday to check out the hiking trails with the dog.

Then hit up either Longhorn Cavern or Colorado Bend on Wednesday.

byrontx
07-11-2009, 07:45 AM
We got a late start hiking at Guadalupe last weekend and it was brutal by 1:00. Which park depends on what you are going for but if hiking-go early. Colorado Bend is a great park but I would rather camp in Sulphur Springs and then hike the park.