PDA

View Full Version : TP9's assists in 09-10

Leetonidas
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Do you think with the new additions to the team Parker's apg could go up a fair amount in the upcoming season?

exstatic
07-09-2009, 08:35 PM
What is no? The offense hasn't changed. It's still a share the ball and touches motion offense. I would guess that TEAM assists may see a bit of a bump, though.

Leetonidas
07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm just saying, he will have better teammates this year who will probably convert his passes at a better ratio than last year. Plus he has someone to throw lobs to now.

objective
07-09-2009, 08:48 PM
if he has guys he can run the break with (like Jefferson/Haislip/Mahinmi?/Gist) then maybe his average will creep up.

But with the team being more talented overall I would expect his minutes to be less than last year. The Spurs should be able to put teams away sooner and have more garbage time.

Tully365
07-09-2009, 08:49 PM
The Spurs will probably score more ppg this year, but Hill should be getting more minutes, and hopefully there'll be more blowouts where TP can just sit out the 4th completely... my guess is his apg stays about the same.

timvp
07-09-2009, 08:52 PM
It depends on how they use RJ. If he's used to create in the halfcourt, TP's assists could actually go down. Last season, TP was the lone creator on the court for a majority of the games. Add a healthy Manu and RJ, I could see his assists going back down to around 6 per game. If Pop uses TD in a "quarterback" role to limit the wear and tear, TP's assists could go down a little bit more.

I'd guess somewhere between 5.5 and 6.2.

superbigtime
07-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I think about the same; maybe a little higher. Tony will have great numbers again this year.

ORION
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I think parker and the teams assist average overall will increase. Less pressure on parker and RJ can slash. Then Manu coming back healthy and the fact that parker has managed to increase the assist average every season. So my answer is yes maybe 8 per game.

ORION
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
It depends on how they use RJ. If he's used to create in the halfcourt, TP's assists could actually go down. Last season, TP was the lone creator on the court for a majority of the games. Add a healthy Manu and RJ, I could see his assists going back down to around 6 per game. If Pop uses TD in a "quarterback" role to limit the wear and tear, TP's assists could go down a little bit more.

I'd guess somewhere between 5.5 and 6.2.
I think the league had their eyes opened with Tony's improvement
So I think he will be forced to dish a few more times a game.

ducks
07-09-2009, 09:16 PM
as long as tp is aggressive and scores 20 a game spurs are allmost impossible to beat
a w is what it is about

vander
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
What is no? The offense hasn't changed. It's still a share the ball and touches motion offense. I would guess that TEAM assists may see a bit of a bump, though.

well, now we have some guys who can actually finish at the rim, that should help at least a little, even if the O and TP are exactly the same

ORION
07-09-2009, 09:30 PM
well, now we have some guys who can actually finish at the rim, that should help at least a little, even if the O and TP are exactly the same

Yeah and you never know maybe Pop will draw up a few plays for RJ like a weak side pick or a back door screen.

exstatic
07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Do you people realize that Tony had his career high in assists with 6.9 last year, almost a full assist better than his previous high of 6.1? That's a monster number in a motion offense.

exstatic
07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm with LJ on this one. I think Parker handles the ball less this year. RJ had consecutive seasons of 3.8, 4.0, 3.8 assists in NJ's Princeton motion offense. I think he'll be one of the half court creators this year to take the load off of Tony and Manu during the regular season.

Cheer up folks. If they don't know where it's coming from it's harder to defend. Tony drives and kicks to RJ who drives and kicks to Manu who drives and kicks to McDyess for a wide open jumper. By the third rotation, the defense is turning in circles...the wrong way.

ducks
07-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I expect tp,manu,duncan stats to go down this year actually
if the spurs stay healthy this year

but the result should help keep them healthy and fresher for a playoff run

ORION
07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm with LJ on this one. I think Parker handles the ball less this year. RJ had consecutive seasons of 3.8, 4.0, 3.8 assists in NJ's Princeton motion offense. I think he'll be one of the half court creators this year to take the load off of Tony and Manu during the regular season.

Cheer up folks. If they don't know where it's coming from it's harder to defend. Tony drives and kicks to RJ who drives and kicks to Manu who drives and kicks to McDyess for a wide open jumper. By the third rotation, the defense is turning in circles...the wrong way.

but Parker shooting less and passing more can increase his assist per game. Not a whole lot so I say 8 per game.

exstatic
07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
but Parker shooting less and passing more can increase his assist per game. Not a whole lot so I say 8 per game.

You've got what I said wrong. He's not only going to shoot less, he's going to HANDLE AND TOUCH the ball less. We now have three triple threats in the offense: TP Manu, and RJ can all drive, kick, and shoot.

Tony had to carry a huge load last year because of a LOT of inexperience on the floor. Not just team inexperience, but NBA inexperience. Who the fuck knew who Hairston, Tolliver, and Hill, and the revolving door players from the NBDL were? He won't have to carry that load this year, and it makes us a more versatile team. Two of Tony's lowest assist years (5.3 2003, 5.5 2007) were championship years.

ducks
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM

yeah his shooting % sucks:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Brazil
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I think Tony will put quite similar stats than last year, he will have less touches because RJ/Manu will create but he can dish maybe more dunks,lay ups for Blair / Ian / dyess and having more assists on fast break because the young guns will run fast.

ORION
07-09-2009, 10:08 PM
You've got what I said wrong. He's not only going to shoot less, he's going to HANDLE AND TOUCH the ball less. We now have three triple threats in the offense: TP Manu, and RJ can all drive, kick, and shoot.

Tony had to carry a huge load last year because of a LOT of inexperience on the floor. Not just team inexperience, but NBA inexperience. Who the fuck knew who Hairston, Tolliver, and Hill, and the revolving door players from the NBDL were? He won't have to carry that load this year, and it makes us a more versatile team. Two of Tony's lowest assist years (5.3 2003, 5.5 2007) were championship years.

we need to vbookie this because he is not going to handle the ball less. He is the spurs most consistant scorer so the ball will be in his hands but with the options he has now he can pass up shots and find the open man.

ORION
07-09-2009, 10:09 PM
yeah his shooting % sucks:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

I didn't mention his percentage just that he can take less shots.

exstatic
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
we need to vbookie this because he is not going to handle the ball less. He is the spurs most consistant scorer so the ball will be in his hands but with the options he has now he can pass up shots and find the open man.

Talk to LJ and have him set it up. My selection would be in the area of 5.8 to 6.0. :hat

ORION
07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Talk to LJ and have him set it up. My selection would be in the area of 5.8 to 6.0. :hat

not bad not bad. So you're saying he will drop slightly and I'm going with 8. I really thing it could go either way but I picked 8 because of what I would do in his place. I see all these ballers around me and I want to get them the ball. LJ do it !...or else

exstatic
07-09-2009, 10:56 PM
not bad not bad. So you're saying he will drop slightly and I'm going with 8. I really thing it could go either way but I picked 8 because of what I would do in his place. I see all these ballers around me and I want to get them the ball. LJ do it !...or else

It's better for our offense if the ball moves around between more than one player. When you depend on a dominant PG ball handler, you leave yourself open to the ball being trapped out of his hands in big games or the playoffs, and the offense getting out of sorts and having to adapt on the fly. If you have three guys all creating and scoring all year long, they don't have anything to pin down and take away from you.

Tony's assists going down is not a bad thing. Not at all. As long as team assists go up, that's what makes the offense go. Realistically, in most years other than last year, the only thing that differentiates Tony from the other guards is he is the one that brings the ball up the floor. If you watch a lot of the games, you'll find that probably 3/4 of the time, he dumps the ball to a big man at the top of the 3 point circle, and starts moving and cutting just like Manu and whatever other wing player is on the floor. He may not touch the ball again that possession or he may get it back and score or find another cutter. It's a cut, read and react offense. If you find someone playing you on the high side, you cut straight to the hoop, receiving a pass for an easy layup. As fast as Tony is, and he's probably in the top 2-3 in the league, he'll never be faster than a good crisp pass from the 3 point line to a cutter in the paint.

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Sure, 20 and 8 would be stellar from TP.

ORION
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
It's better for our offense if the ball moves around between more than one player. When you depend on a dominant PG ball handler, you leave yourself open to the ball being trapped out of his hands in big games or the playoffs, and the offense getting out of sorts and having to adapt on the fly. If you have three guys all creating and scoring all year long, they don't have anything to pin down and take away from you.

Tony's assists going down is not a bad thing. Not at all. As long as team assists go up, that's what makes the offense go. Realistically, in most years other than last year, the only thing that differentiates Tony from the other guards is he is the one that brings the ball up the floor. If you watch a lot of the games, you'll find that probably 3/4 of the time, he dumps the ball to a big man at the top of the 3 point circle, and starts moving and cutting just like Manu and whatever other wing player is on the floor. He may not touch the ball again that possession or he may get it back and score or find another cutter. It's a cut, read and react offense. If you find someone playing you on the high side, you cut straight to the hoop, receiving a pass for an easy layup. As fast as Tony is, and he's probably in the top 2-3 in the league, he'll never be faster than a good crisp pass from the 3 point line to a cutter in the paint.

Of course ball movement is key but don't forget about fast breaks or 3 on 2's. Defense will take away the drive from Tony leaving RJ others trailing. You can't have perfect ball movement every play because you have exploit mismatches. Tony will handle the ball the same and you do realize we are talking about a 2 assist difference per game. We are basically agreeing :lol

ORION
07-09-2009, 11:08 PM
but who ever is right its still a positive for The Spurs

exstatic
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Of course ball movement is key but don't forget about fast breaks or 3 on 2's. Defense will take away the drive from Tony leaving RJ others trailing. You can't have perfect ball movement every play because you have exploit mismatches. Tony will handle the ball the same and you do realize we are talking about a 2 assist difference per game. We are basically agreeing :lol

His previous assist high was 6.1. Under EXTRAORDINARY circumstances last year, he pumped that up by 0.8. You're proposing that it's going to jump ANOTHER 1.1 assists. I don't think we're agreeing, but that's OK. :lol

ORION
07-09-2009, 11:10 PM
His previous assist high was 6.1. Under EXTRAORDINARY circumstances last year, he pumped that up by 0.8. You're proposing that it's going to jump ANOTHER 1.1 assists. I don't think we're agreeing, but that's OK. :lol

agree as far as not dropping or increasing too much

ORION
07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
just curious though, do you run point ?

exstatic
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
just curious though, do you run point ?

Nope, but I'm a student of the game. I often isolate one player on a trip or a few trips down the floor and just watch what they do.

ORION
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Nope, but I'm a student of the game. I often isolate one player on a trip or a few trips down the floor and just watch what they do.
I knew it! You would make a great coach and that's why we are disagreeing because I play point and I like to draw the double and find the open man even though some guys do not know what to do after the pass. You should look into coaching kids because the kids I've seen play lately need help.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
I'd expect his minutes and assists to go down slightly for reasons many have already stated.Nash wouldn't average more assists in our system.

mathbzh
07-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Considering the last 10+ apg PG with a ring is Magic.
Considering the Lakers and Magic (but also Denver or Cleveland) don't have a passing PG.
Considering Boston was NBA champ with a 10 pts-5 ast Rondo and not with a 12 pt-8ast one.

I hope TP assists will be the same, somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5.
Only the team's assists should matter, individual assists number is probably the most overrated statistic.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Considering the last 10+ apg PG with a ring is Magic.
Considering the Lakers and Magic (but also Denver or Cleveland) don't have a passing PG.
Considering Boston was NBA champ with a 10 pts-5 ast Rondo and not with a 12 pt-8ast one.

I hope TP assists will be the same, somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5.
Only the team's assists should matter, individual assists number is probably the most overrated statistic.
:toast

Drom John
07-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I think Parker's teammates will dribble more, so less assists. Sheed would have received more assists than McDyess.

OTOH, I expect Hill to increase his assists, because he'll get a greater share of Finley and Bonner, and maybe McClinton.

BTW, assists in the NBA is somewhat stupid stat even ignoring dribbles. It's often the earlier pass in a sequence that's more important.

portnoy1
08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Do you people realize that Tony had his career high in assists with 6.9 last year, almost a full assist better than his previous high of 6.1? That's a monster number in a motion offense.We didnt have a motion offense last year, thats why he got so many assist.