PDA

View Full Version : The intrigue of Haislip

ace3g
07-09-2009, 10:19 PM
By
Jeff McDonald
on Jul 9, 09 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Newly signed forward Marcus Haislip worked out with the Spurs' summer league squad this morning. He won't be playing with the Spurs' entry in Las Vegas next week, which is a shame.

Spurs fans will have to wait until the preseason, at the earliest, to see what the former NBA lottery selection has picked up during his four seasons abroad.

Haislip, who stands a shade below 6-foot-10, used to be known for the athletic dunks that made him a YouTube staple. After honing his craft in Europe, however, he has become a much more polished all-around offensive player.

The Spurs see him as a pick-and-pop player, a sort of floor-spacing big man more akin to Robert Horry than Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Though Haislip has never been known as a lockdown defender, the Spurs also envision throwing him out there against some of the more difficult power forward matchups in the West, like Dirk Nowitzki or Amare Stoudemire.

After surveying this afternoon's workout, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford mentioned another thing he likes about Haislip -- the fact that he's already washed out of the NBA once.

"I think he's looking for a chance to come back here and show people he belongs in the NBA," Buford said. "I always like people who are looking to make a point."

Haislip represents an intriguing gamble for the Spurs, and a cheap one at that. The team has signed him to a two-year deal at the veteran minimum. It will pay him $825,497 for the upcoming season.

The financial risk is not much. If Haislip pans out, the reward could be great.

In other contract news ... Malik Hairston's deal has also posted with the league. As expected, it is a minimum make-good deal, meant to get him to training camp.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/the-intrigue-of.html

So now it looks like the Spurs still have the LLE to spend if they want to

kbrury
07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
wow, he came for the min? I guess he really wanted to come back to the NBA to prove himself. Well who do we target with the LLE?

bigdog
07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Oh, wow. I don't know, this is McDonald talking, he could be wrong, but if they still have the LLE, that would be great.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
We still have the LLE. Nice.

kbrury
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I know haislip was making a whole lot more in Europe but to come over for just the min just amazes me.

bigdog
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I know haislip was making a whole lot more in Europe but to come over for just the min just amazes me.

That must mean he's really eager to come back to the NBA and prove all of the doubters that he belongs here.

kbrury
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
That must mean he's really eager to come back to the NBA and prove all of the doubters that he belongs here.

I was rooting for the guy when I thought he was getting the LLE, now for the minimum Im going to root for him twice as hard.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Nice work yet again, R.C. :tu

rayray2k8
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Great news to know that the spurs didn't use their LLE on Haislip. Now, if we can somehow ship Bonners ass out of San Antonio. XD

ace3g
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh, wow. I don't know, this is McDonald talking, he could be wrong, but if they still have the LLE, that would be great.

yeah but I remember in a few other of his articles he assumed Haislip signed for the LLE, so hopefully one of his "sources" finally gave him the correct information on the contract

Spursmania
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
For the minimum? Guy has something to prove:smokin

timvp
07-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Okay, now that makes a lot more sense. Haislip for the LLE seemed like too much. Two years a the minimum makes much more sense. And it's good to know the LLE is still available :tu

It's funny how that LLE rumor spread. It went from KSAT, to SpursTalk, to the Express-News to various media outlets around the world :lol

Props to McDonald for clearing that up. It'd be really nice if he can tell us how much of Hairston's contract is guaranteed.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Who could we realistically get with the LLE?

Hey, maybe that Big Baby stuff was true. :wow:lol:depressed

bigdog
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
So, who could be a potential LLE target, given the Spurs still want to use it?

Spursmania
A trade is definitely in the Spur's future.

superbigtime
I still wish we could sign Gooden on the cheap, although LLE wouldn't be enough. ...But 3.5 mill might. Outside of TD and Dice we have no veteran big worth a damn (sorry Bonner). One of the few post up big men in the league who can score and rebound and plays decent enough defense ... why let that just fly out the window? Who wants to see the Lakers get another offseason steal by signing Gooden for next to nothing? (which is what they ought to do if they fail to resign Odom) Not me.

manufan10
07-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm rooting for the guy. He seems like he could be a good fit, and if he plays with a chip on his shoulder, he can prove to be an even better player! I don't see the need to use the LLE.

I'm not to knowledgeable on contract and signing bonuses and such. What happens if the Spurs don't use the LLE?

timvp
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm guessing the Spurs don't use their LLE and instead fill out their roster with minimum contract players. It's almost impossible to find a player who can only get the LLE who is worth paying $2 million extra in tax.

angelbelow
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
i dont think he went buck wild with the money he earned in europe. especially since there are reports that he never went out. its possible that he played it smart and invested his money, so while money isnt a problem at the moment, hes willing to "earn" a new contract but with the NBA. if what im conjecturing is true, this guys got a helluva character.

z0sa
07-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Another guy with a chip on his shoulder, a skillset we could use with a fiery desire to succeed.

Pop will have his hands full coaching and setting a rotation with this great amount of potential talent. On the flipside, he need not worry about their motivation. In fact, from top to bottom the Spurs roster is shaping to be filled with these types of players:

1) Manu wants to prove to the world he's healthy and explosive as ever.

2) McDyess wants a ring or two before he begins losing his abilities.

3) deJuan Blair's situation.

the list goes on with Haislip apparently wanting to prove the doubters wrong and possibly fulfill a needed role on our squad.

DPG21920
07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm guessing the Spurs don't use their LLE and instead fill out their roster with minimum contract players. It's almost impossible to find a player who can only get the LLE who is worth paying $2 million extra in tax.

Bogans? Rasho?

ducks
07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Jeff McDonald pulled a ludden
wow

timvp
07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Bogans? Rasho?

Rasho makes sense if the Spurs trade a big. Otherwise, there's probably too much of a roster crunch.

Bogans had such a bad year last season that he could probably be had for the minimum.

Da Spurs
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Makes a huge difference in the luxury tax. I figure they'll be at $80 mil if they keep 15 players. That's about $10 million in luxury tax. Beats almost $12 million otherwise.

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Nice deal. Whether the Spurs use the LLE or not it's just nice having it as another option. :tu

ss1986v2
07-09-2009, 10:55 PM
im perfectly fine with the roster as is right now, but what about looking at someone like matt barnes? he played last season at the min, and phx doesnt seem to have interest in picking him back up. i know he really wants to play as close to the west coast as possible, and he did play well last year so he might have betters offers out there. but for the BAE, id probably rather have him behind jefferson then finley.

ducks
07-09-2009, 10:55 PM
use the lle on bowen as a thank you

SouthTexasRancher
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Sounds good to me.

Knoxxx
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I still wish we could sign Gooden on the cheap, although LLE wouldn't be enough. ...But 3.5 mill might. Outside of TD and Dice we have no veteran big worth a damn (sorry Bonner). One of the few post up big men in the league who can score and rebound and plays decent enough defense ... why let that just fly out the window? Who wants to see the Lakers get another offseason steal by signing Gooden for next to nothing? (which is what they ought to do if they fail to resign Odom) Not me.

I'm not adverse to Gooden at the right price either, but Blair/Haislip/Duncan/Dice/Ian = 5 bigs, not sure we can really afford to roster more than that since we have 3 other positons to cover. The wild card there is if Haislip can play some SF, since the others are clearly PF. Still seems like a true C would be a nice addition.

Solid D
07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Okay, now that makes a lot more sense. Haislip for the LLE seemed like too much. Two years a the minimum makes much more sense. And it's good to know the LLE is still available :tu

It's funny how that LLE rumor spread. It went from KSAT, to SpursTalk, to the Express-News to various media outlets around the world :lol

Props to McDonald for clearing that up. It'd be really nice if he can tell us how much of Hairston's contract is guaranteed.

Much more realistic. The Minimum with only the 1st yr. guaranteed is more in line with what makes sense with this player before we could see how he matched up with opposing 4s.

ace3g
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
now the Spurs can go after maybe a Rodney Carney if they decide to waive a player or make a trade where they ship out more then they receive.

Or go after Rasho, a target of some of the users on this forum, we could use another true center on the team.

But I would rather go with another true SF type player because we already have enough PF/C on the team

If we can somehow trade Bonner and or Finley in a package that could open a lot of options

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
07-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I really think haislip is gonna be that diamond in the rough, i think he's really help out this year!!!!!!!!!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Though Haislip has never been known as a lockdown defender, the Spurs also envision throwing him out there against some of the more difficult power forward matchups in the West, like Dirk Nowitzki or Amare Stoudemire.

So Jeff thinks West and Dirk are akin to Amare? :lmao

If he's said West/Dirk/Odom, fine, but I doubt we throw a relatively skinny guy like Haislip at Amare unless we want him killed. :lol

stxspurs
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
haislip=mensa bonsu

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:00 AM
We have been hit or miss with diamonds in the rough, drafting Parker one year and then beno another, but I hope we have something here.

I think we do! Ginobili and Haislip will revolutionize the bench offensively!

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-10-2009, 01:10 AM
I liked Bogans a lot when he was in Orlando. For some reason I've always thought of him as a future Spur but last year he was atrocious. I'd still like to have him for the LLE or the min if we're about to trade Fin.However, there's much more sense in going after a veteran PG, I can't believe Pop would go into the season with only Hill as a backup even if he does well in SL but then again before this offseason there were a lot of things I didn't believe would happen and I was wrong.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:12 AM
I liked Bogans a lot when he was in Orlando. For some reason I've always thought of him as a future Spur but last year he was atrocious. I'd still like to have him for the LLE or the min if we're about to trade Fin.However, there's much more sense in going after a veteran PG, I can't believe Pop would go into the season with only Hill as a backup even if he does well in SL but then again before this offseason there were a lot of things I didn't believe would happen and I was wrong.

Yep, everyone is pleasantly surprised!

SenorSpur
07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
im perfectly fine with the roster as is right now, but what about looking at someone like matt barnes? he played last season at the min, and phx doesnt seem to have interest in picking him back up. i know he really wants to play as close to the west coast as possible, and he did play well last year so he might have betters offers out there. but for the BAE, id probably rather have him behind jefferson then finley.

+1 - especially the last sentence.

SenorSpur
07-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Unless Iverson calls us himself and begs Pop to let him play for the Spurs I doubt we will sign anyone else for now.

Don't see that happening. And even if the phone did ring, I trust the Spurs FO is too smart to get suckered into the NBA's longest running myth - that AI can help a team win a title. After that debacle he caused in Detroit, his career is in the toilet. Same as Marbury.

Bruno
07-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Haislip represents an intriguing gamble for the Spurs, and a cheap one at that. The team has signed him to a two-year deal at the veteran minimum. It will pay him $825,497 for the upcoming season.

I like Haislip at the min way more than him at the LLE. :tu

His salary for next season isn't $825,497. It's $855,189 because he is a three years vet.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2009, 03:13 AM
He reminds me of a hybrid of Horry and Shawn Marion.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 03:18 AM
He reminds me of a hybrid of Horry and Shawn Marion.

Yep!

I think he and Manu, when they get into a rhythm, will do great coming of the bench together.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Hill/Manu/Battier (if they trade for him) or Gist/Haislip/Ian.

Nice second unit.

Sdayi135
07-10-2009, 03:35 AM
So Jeff thinks West and Dirk are akin to Amare? :lmao

If he's said West/Dirk/Odom, fine, but I doubt we throw a relatively skinny guy like Haislip at Amare unless we want him killed. :lol

Doesn't take much to slow Amare down these days

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2009, 07:02 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Haislip_hungry_for_second_chance_in_NBA.html

Haislip hungry for second chance in NBA

By Mike Monroe - Express-News The announcement that the Spurs had signed power forward Marcus Haislip to a free-agent contract on Wednesday was lost in the excitement of veteran big man Antonio McDyess' agreement to join the club, but it wasn't the first time Haislip's NBA timing was less than ideal.

Chosen by Milwaukee in the first round of the 2002 draft, the 13th overall selection, the basketball operations staff that picked him was gone after his rookie season. Head coach George Karl was fired and general manager Ernie Grunfeld took a job with the Wizards.

“It just didn't work out for me,” Haislip said Thursday after running through drills with the Spurs' summer league team at the club's practice facility. “The coaches that drafted me left, and then everything changed.”

Haislip played in only 70 games in his two seasons with the Bucks, who declined to offer an extension of his rookie-scale contract. Signed by the Pacers to a non-guaranteed contract the next season, he played in only nine games in Indiana and was waived on Christmas Eve 2004. Four years in Europe honed skills the Spurs believe make him a useful NBA player, one eager to prove he belongs in the NBA.

“I always like people looking to prove a point,” said Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

Haislip appreciates the chance.

“I'm definitely happy to be here,” he said. “It's nice to be on U.S. soil this season.”

Haislip signed a two-year deal for the veteran minimum salary. For his two years of experience, it begins at $825,497.

The 6-foot-9 forward credits the coaching staff of his Spanish League team, Unicaja Malaga, for recognizing his true role.

“They made me more of a perimeter player, and that's what made me the player I am right now: a player able to put it down on the floor and knock down the three,” he said.

Haislip won't play on the Spurs' entry in the Las Vegas summer league — its first game is Sunday — but will accompany the team to observe.

Happy Hairston: The Spurs renewed their relationship with Malik Hairston on Wednesday, re-signing a player who appeared in 15 Spurs games last season before being waived in April.

The 6-6 swingman signed a make-good contract and will try to earn a roster spot.

“I'm just happy the kept me a part of the family and gave me an opportunity,” he said.

Worth noting: DeJuan Blair and Jack McClinton, two of the team's three second-round draft picks, are on the summer-league roster, but the third, French guard Nando De Colo, is not. He is in training with the French national team, along with Spurs guard Tony Parker. “Les Bleus” are to compete in a tournament this month in which they will try to capture the final berth for Eurobasket 2009, scheduled to be played in Poland in September.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Haislip signed a two-year deal for the veteran minimum salary. For his two years of experience, it begins at $825,497.

There it is. :toast

Buddy Holly
07-10-2009, 07:09 AM
SB, post that article as a new thread.

spurspokesman
07-10-2009, 07:19 AM

Now we have two bigs with something to prove. Blair and haislip. This should be fun to watch.

MateoNeygro
07-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Don't see that happening. And even if the phone did ring, I trust the Spurs FO is too smart to get suckered into the NBA's longest running myth - that AI can help a team win a title. After that debacle he caused in Detroit, his career is in the toilet. Same as Marbury.

He didn't really CAUSE the debacle he was forced into it. It's not for a lack of trying that they sucked he just really didn't fit in with that roster. I don't blame Iverson but I still wouldn't want him on the Spurs.

raspsa
07-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Now we have two bigs with something to prove. Blair and haislip. This should be fun to watch.

Don't forget Ian.

wildbill2u
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
“We'll continue to look at ways we can make our team better,” Buford said. “Who knows when that will happen, or where those things will come from? It's been a summer that has seen a lot of change, and I don't know when we'll know it's over.”

"It ain't over til the fat lady sings" came out of San Antonio. Let it be so.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Having something to proven doesn't necessarily mean they can do it.

I feel a little apprehensive about going into the season with just Duncan, McDyess and Bonner as our only bigs with significant NBA experience but barring any trades, I think the Spurs are willing to take their chances.

I just shudder to think about the Spurs trying to toss a group of undersized, inexperienced bigs up against someone like Dwight Howard.

Hopefully these guys can seriously surprise. It be a shame if Holt finally opened up the pocketbook and we couldn't put together the right mix of guys to produce at least a deep run in the playoffs.

slayermin
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet. His stats look pretty good.

His numbers went down during Euroleague but I guess that can be attributed to stiffer competition. That 23.3% 3pt percentage is nothing to write home about.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/slayermin/Spurs/haislip_stats.jpg

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-10-2009, 04:07 PM

His numbers went down during Euroleague but I guess that can be attributed to stiffer competition. That 23.3% 3pt percentage is nothing to write home about.

Spurs fans just insanely overate his level. One of the best PF of Spanish league level but not Euroleague level.

kbrury
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Spurs fans just insanely overate his level. One of the best PF of Spanish league level but not Euroleague level.

Well for the minimum I'm can't complain. He has the potential to help us.

Pucho!!!
07-10-2009, 04:17 PM

Being one of the best PF in the Spanish league still counts for something. Better than being the best PF in say the Greek league :toast

clubalien
07-10-2009, 06:11 PM

if a team cuts a player later in the year it might be valuable to have it. For example if a player like raja bell was cut that would be a great mid season signing.

peskypesky
07-10-2009, 06:18 PM

i like this kid. sure, he washed out of the league the first time, but he was looking pretty good overseas. and it's sometimes better to have a hungry player with something to prove than a guy who just signed a fat, guaranteed contract.

anjlbitz
07-10-2009, 06:25 PM

timvp is right. For a 6'-10" athletic guy, those rebounding numbers are atrocious

At least he's only getting the vet min. I'm optimistic about him though, if he can use his athleticism to defend, Spurs will be ok.

slayermin
07-10-2009, 08:51 PM
timvp is right. For a 6'-10" athletic guy, those rebounding numbers are atrocious

At least he's only getting the vet min. I'm optimistic about him though, if he can use his athleticism to defend, Spurs will be ok.

I wouldn't call 5 rebounds per game in 27 minutes atrocious. Below average, maybe.

objective
07-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Hollinger's Euroleague translation formula would have Haislip at :

8.1 pts 5.6 rebounds

slayermin
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Hollinger's Euroleague translation formula would have Haislip at :

8.1 pts 5.6 rebounds

In how many minutes per game? If he can do that off the bench, those are very nice numbers.

objective
07-10-2009, 09:17 PM
In how many minutes per game? If he can do that off the bench, those are very nice numbers.

the same minutes as in euroleague.

slayermin
07-10-2009, 09:24 PM
the same minutes as in euroleague.

Then not so impressive. Hopefully he and the Spurs prove Hollinger wrong.

z0sa
07-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Haislip has something to prove. He left better money and a sure spot in Spain to make another name for himself. Whether he succeeds or not is all upon his shoulders, for I believe Pop and others are high on him and will give him opportunity to do so.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 10:42 PM
now we can trade for Bosh :downspin:
:rollin

clubalien
07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
now we can trade for Bosh :downspin:

best offseason ever:toast

my2sons
07-10-2009, 11:37 PM

That must mean he is not greek

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
That must mean he is not greek
European?

Buddy Holly
07-11-2009, 03:34 AM

He was suffering through a groin injury during Euroleague.

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Haislip has something to prove. He left better money and a sure spot in Spain to make another name for himself. Whether he succeeds or not is all upon his shoulders, for I believe Pop and others are high on him and will give him opportunity to do so.

Yep. A sure sign that he is hungry and ready to compete.

Redshadows
07-11-2009, 04:43 AM
i don't think he would be better than ian mahinmi