PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' extreme makeover

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_extreme_makeover.html

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

For the record, R.C. Buford did not arrive at Spurs headquarters Thursday morning in rags. He did not show up with the pockets turned out of his jeans, bearing a sign that read, “Will general manage for food.”

He did, however, arrive with a message for Spurs fans amid what has already become the team's most expensive and thorough makeover in years.

“Tell them to go buy some tickets,” Buford said with a chuckle.

Consider it a voluntary bond initiative, meant to fund the renovation of San Antonio's landmark professional sports franchise.

The past two weeks have been a dizzying one for the Spurs' front office, which has spared no expense in seeking to rebuild the team after April's first-round playoff flameout against Dallas.

On June 23, the Spurs pulled the trigger on a trade with Milwaukee, swapping aging veterans Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas for 29-year-old scoring swingman Richard Jefferson — and footing the $29.2 million remaining on his contract.

Two days later, DeJuan Blair, a consensus All-American forward from Pittsburgh, fell to them in the second round of the draft.

Then on Wednesday, the Spurs landed free-agent big man Antonio McDyess, the former All-Star from Detroit. The team expects to officially sign him to a three-year deal worth a guaranteed $15 million before week's end.

In a flash of a fortnight, the Spurs have gone from an aging team on the verge of inconsequence to a reinvigorated team again in the thick of the NBA title conversation.

“They really re-did their team,” Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said. “Now they're right back where they were a couple years ago, if not better.”

Like most extreme makeovers, the Spurs' summertime transformation has not come cheap. It has pushed the Spurs well past the NBA's luxury tax line, sticking majority owner Peter Holt with a tariff bill that might reach $15 million next season, on top of a payroll that could exceed $80 million.

It is a bold financial gamble by a team in one of the smallest NBA markets, especially in the face of a flagging economy uncertain to rebound anytime soon.

It is an overhaul deemed necessary if the Spurs were to keep pace in an escalating offseason arms race involving Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Dallas and the NBA champion L.A. Lakers.

“The ownership group really allowed us to add some exciting pieces, and to be aggressive in putting together a team we hope will be in position to play late in the season,” Buford said. “It's really a credit to the ownership, the commitment they made not only to our team, but to San Antonio.”

Heading into the summer, the Spurs found themselves at a future-defining crossroads. They could have tried to reload on the cheap, crossing their fingers for one last run around the All-Star core of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Instead, Holt opened his pocketbook, and the Spurs went all in. After the two-week spending spree, only five players remain from the Spurs' last championship team, in 2007: Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Michael Finley and Matt Bonner.

With the addition of Jefferson, a career 17.7 points-per-game scorer, and a potential double-double man in the 34-year-old McDyess, the Spurs' lineup should be ready to compete with any in the NBA.

The Spurs' offseason makeover has brought in so many new faces, at least one player jokingly wonders if he has been traded to another team.

“Anything can happen in this business,” second-year guard George Hill said. “It's just amazing how you can have one team, then you look around and you have a whole different team.”

The Spurs' offseason work isn't quite finished.

Buford says he arrived at work Thursday, just hours after sewing up the McDyess deal, to find that coach Gregg Popovich had left him with a new laundry list of offseason issues still to address.

No more major moves are expected, because the Spurs already have committed almost all the money allotted them in free agency. Instead, they will likely look to their summer league and training camp rosters to fill out the end of the bench.

The summer has been busy enough — and expensive enough — already.

“We'll continue to look at ways we can make our team better,” Buford said. “Who knows when that will happen, or where those things will come from? It's been a summer that has seen a lot of change, and I don't know when we'll know it's over.”

timvp
07-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Good article.

I still can't believe the Spurs are ~$10 million over the luxury tax threshold.

Maybe I died and went to Spurs fan heaven :hat

Buddy Holly
07-09-2009, 11:43 PM
You have to wonder what this team would look like had they opened the purse strings seasons ago.

will_spurs
07-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I think what several of us would like to know is how to contribute (and maybe get a little something in return, e.g. merchandise) the most effectively possible - w/o buying tickets (not all of us live in SA). I don't want to buy stuff that will end up 50% for the NBA and 50% to save teams that have bad management.

jrmp317
07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
it's been a fun and exciting summer for a change, unlike most summers for Spurs fans.

Spurm
07-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Good article.

what an idiot!

VivaPopovich
07-09-2009, 11:46 PM
we're not starting the mission for #5 till bowen comes back home :P

poeticism707
07-09-2009, 11:47 PM
You have to wonder what this team would look like had they opened the purse strings seasons ago.

Agreed. The Spurs FO has been very good, but not great.

If the Spurs had gone in the luxury tax years ago, for Stephen Jackson, and after the 2007 season or 2008 at the latest, the Spurs could SERIOUSLY have 6-7 titles.

Duncan and co. have given this much to the Spurs, so it certainly isn't unreasonable to assume the FO could not and should not have done so before this year.

At any rate, great job FO for the job this summer.

mudyez
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
always liked us beeing so successful without spending as much money as other teams(its fun to see us in the middle of the salary list, while teams like NY are spending about twice as much money while not even reaching the playoffs)....but I guess, now we wouldnt stand a chance without doing so

afireinside20
07-09-2009, 11:49 PM
what an idiot!

Gee, I see your taking a break from your spurm chugging, how have you been douche?

fleggy2k2
07-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Good article.

a true sign of that is if the spurs FO somehow discovers time travel and they pick up a young robinson and gervin

:toast

or if they go all balls out, make their whole team consist big three clones.
i'm sure no one would notice

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
The interesting thing is they will also recieve about 10mil from the NBA this year for being under the lux tax threshold last year, and because the players recieved too much "basketball-related income" last year, so in a way, the league will pay the lux tax bill for us this year. The team will be paying it next year though.

Oh, and I'm not trying to devalue the organisation's sacrifice in any way (they are still goning to pay 30mil+ over the next two years that they otherwise wouldn't have, including extra salary and lux tax), just pointing out that it will not be quite as painful for them as it otherwise would be.

AFBlue
07-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Nice article by Micky D.

Two thoughts...

First, it's a great time to be a Spurs fan...seeing aggressive management and financially dedicated ownership.

And second, at LEAST one more trade with an eye on cost-cutting will take place before the lux tax bill comes due.

bigdog
07-09-2009, 11:52 PM
An actual good article from McDonald.

L.I.T
07-09-2009, 11:54 PM

Or the Spurs deft cap management and relative fiscal responsibility made sure they weren't saddled with shit contracts that they would be desperately trying to dump; as opposed to being in a financial position that allows them to benefit from other teams poor management?

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I know it's not even remotely possible but I'd love to see that list Pop left RC about what else needs to be done.

timtonymanu
07-09-2009, 11:58 PM

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Manu
Finley/Bowen/Ime
Duncan/Gooden
Bonner/Thomas/Oberto

Parker/Hill
Manu/Mason/Hairston
RJ/Finley
Duncan/Blair/Haislip
McDyess/Ian/Bonner

damn what an upgrade.

bigdog
07-09-2009, 11:59 PM
It's amazing how different the frontcourt is gonna look this upcoming season.

Blackjack
07-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Instead, Holt opened his pocketbook, and the Spurs went all in.

Last year it was, "Come together."

This year it's, "All in."

(Oh, and your welcome marketing department.:hat)

Danny.Zhu
07-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Speaking of luxury tax, is there any statistics that can show how much subsidies Spurs/or any other team have got from the luxury tax paid by other teams in the past few years?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 12:30 AM
An actual good article from McDonald.
:lol

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Last year it was, "Come together."

This year it's, "All in."

(Oh, and your welcome marketing department.:hat)
:toast

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Peter Holt needs to consider adding about 3,000 more seats to the arena. If it isn't a sellout EVERY night then there are some fans who ain't fans. Be there...be loud and proud. Going to be a great season!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Not to put too much thought into it, but I suspect the ownership group's sudden spending spree really gives us all a little more insight into the financial impact of a post-season run into June vs. one that say ends in the first round.

Given the past two seasons, I suspect there was a decent financial hit for our lack of post-season advancement and given that, the ownership group saw the numbers and felt the desire to spend.

I am sure some of it has to do with the fact they've made a good 15-20 million over the past several years just on luxury tax revenues from teams paying the tax, but I think it's more of the two factors in combination with one another and their impact on SSE's bottom line that got this ownership group to open their wallets.

At any rate, and for whatever the reason, I'm glad they did it.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Not to put too much thought into it, but I suspect the ownership group's sudden spending spree really gives us all a little more insight into the financial impact of a post-season run into June vs. one that say ends in the first round.

Given the past two seasons, I suspect there was a decent financial hit for our lack of post-season advancement and given that, the ownership group saw the numbers and felt the desire to spend.

I am sure some of it has to do with the fact they've made a good 15-20 million over the past several years just on luxury tax revenues from teams paying the tax, but I think it's more of the two factors in combination with one another and their impact on SSE's bottom line that got this ownership group to open their wallets.

At any rate, and for whatever the reason, I'm glad they did it.

Agreed. I've been saying for many years now the Spurs FO should have dipped into the luxury tax long before now, the Spurs would have 6-7 titles, and all that winning and extra games would have been EVEN MORE REVENUE for the Spurs.

Spurs FO dropped the ball in not going into the tax for Jackson, after 2007, and in 2008 at the LATEST, and it cost them.

They've done so now, and all Spurs fans should be grateful, but it would have been best if they'd done it sooner.

blizz
07-10-2009, 12:43 AM
is Ime still under contract?

bigdog
07-10-2009, 12:44 AM
is Ime still under contract?

No.

SKINNYPIMP210
07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I think what several of us would like to know is how to contribute (and maybe get a little something in return, e.g. merchandise) the most effectively possible - w/o buying tickets (not all of us live in SA). I don't want to buy stuff that will end up 50% for the NBA and 50% to save teams that have bad management.

+10000000000 Yeah I'd rather have all or most of my money go towards the Spurs organization. The next time I do come into town I'm definitely going to make it to a game though. :flag:

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:03 AM
+10000000000 Yeah I'd rather have all or most of my money go towards the Spurs organization. The next time I do come into town I'm definitely going to make it to a game though. :flag:
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Cry Havoc
07-10-2009, 01:41 AM
If (IF) we win a title this year, I think it could potentially be the sweetest of all of them, save the first one.

As Spurs fans, we are lucky to have one of the best (if not THE best) franchises in sports history. :chestbump

Solid D
07-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Good article.

The Spurs will at least be able to fund almost $3M of that Tax from this year's share of the Tax payments to the league.

7 teams will be making their Lux Tax payments on July 22nd. The remaining 23 teams who were under the Tax Threshold, including the Spurs, will each receive $2.9M and the balance of the extra $ will go to Revenue Assistance Plan for low-revenue teams.

50Bestspurever
07-10-2009, 02:51 AM
The spurs have seriously walked the talk when it comes to spending money putting a championship team togethor. Something I seriously doubted holt would ever do. I for one am returning the favor, I'm buying tickets and adding more spurs gear to my collection. Thank you Holt for letting the dream continue, I honestly didn't think you had it in ya.:toast

MarHill
07-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Agreed. I've been saying for many years now the Spurs FO should have dipped into the luxury tax long before now, the Spurs would have 6-7 titles, and all that winning and extra games would have been EVEN MORE REVENUE for the Spurs.

Spurs FO dropped the ball in not going into the tax for Jackson, after 2007, and in 2008 at the LATEST, and it cost them.

They've done so now, and all Spurs fans should be grateful, but it would have been best if they'd done it sooner.

Hindsight and Monday Morning Quarterback is always easy to do.

The fact of the matter Spurs could have won titles in 2004 & 2006. They lost in the WC Semis...in 2 tough series they could have gone either way.

There is no guarantee they could have won the 2007...if they had won in 2004 & 2006.

The fact they have 4 titles in 12 years(The 4th most titles in NBA History!!!!) and have been one of the top two or three teams in the decade is remarkable. The FO deserves as much credit as the criticism they get from ST Posters.

Championships are not easy to get!! We still have Laker fan, Mav fan and other fans criticize the Spurs for not winning back-to-back titles even though the Spurs have won 3 of the last 6 titles. That argument is irrevelant!

Anyway, I felt the Spurs FO wanted squeeze out another title after '07 and the in the last two post seasons they saw it wasn't enough around the Big 3 anymore. The Lakers became good again, the Hornets became decent, Denver, Dallas, Houston, and Portland all got better and the Spurs are still the team you want to knock off.

So the FO decided this season to go all in....kudos to them for doing it! When you have been frugal for awhile....it easier to take a financial risk when everybody else is cutting back.

The best time to buy isn't done during good times. The best time to buy is during bad times!!

:flag:

spurspokesman
07-10-2009, 06:51 AM

Come home Bowen.:depressed

texbound
07-10-2009, 07:07 AM
The interesting thing is they will also recieve about 10mil from the NBA this year for being under the lux tax threshold last year, and because the players recieved too much "basketball-related income" last year, so in a way, the league will pay the lux tax bill for us this year. The team will be paying it next year though.

Oh, and I'm not trying to devalue the organisation's sacrifice in any way (they are still goning to pay 30mil+ over the next two years that they otherwise wouldn't have, including extra salary and lux tax), just pointing out that it will not be quite as painful for them as it otherwise would be.

Also, you have to wonder how much revenue did the Spurs actually lose last year by not making it past the 1st RD.

G-Nob
07-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Absolutely. The offense, I'm not worried about. Its going to be interesting if Pop is still going to put a descent defensive team on the court. Not saying Bowen is a world beater, but he's still effective and can still be a pest.

Please come back.

Slippy
07-10-2009, 07:37 AM
He did, however, arrive with a message for Spurs fans amid what has already become the team's most expensive and thorough makeover in years.

“Tell them to go buy some tickets,” Buford said with a chuckle.

Consider it a voluntary bond initiative, meant to fund the renovation of San Antonio's landmark professional sports franchise.

More a Spurs stimulas package.

sananspursfan21
07-10-2009, 09:07 AM
it's about time, as a spurs fan for many years, i noticed they are infamous for signing these guys with a 6.8 pts per game avg. and calling them "big acquisitions". and on the spurs website, they would always say "spurs make great addition and are ready for a title run". <---Please, i think that was san antonio propaganda to make the fans feel better.

i'm glad to see they're finally getting some signing/trading for some real talent without having to trick spurs fans!

wildbill2u
07-10-2009, 10:24 AM
“We'll continue to look at ways we can make our team better,” Buford said. “Who knows when that will happen, or where those things will come from? It's been a summer that has seen a lot of change, and I don't know when we'll know it's over.”

The Spurs owners and FO are "all in"

TJastal
07-10-2009, 10:31 AM
On paper this team looks a helluva lot better than last year's team. With a !100% healthy Manu / Duncan / Parker this team should give the lakers a run for their money.

rogcl1
07-10-2009, 11:10 AM

I do not believe this is true. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw the breakdown and it came out to a bit under three million being returned. All the money does not go to the teams under the luxury cap , there is another fund that gets a large chunk of it. If I had more time right now , I would find the article , but it has been posted.

Mel_13
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I do not believe this is true. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw the breakdown and it came out to a bit under three million being returned. All the money does not go to the teams under the luxury cap , there is another fund that gets a large chunk of it. If I had more time right now , I would find the article , but it has been posted.

All 30 teams will get back about $6.5M returned because BRI was low.

The 23 teams under the lux tax threshold, including the Spurs, receive another $2.9M

It is all explained here:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-41/The-Silver-Lining-of-the-Salary-Cap-Cloud.html

rogcl1
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
All 30 teams will get back about $6.5M returned because BRI was low.

The 23 teams under the lux tax threshold, including the Spurs, receive another $2.9M

It is all explained here:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-41/The-Silver-Lining-of-the-Salary-Cap-Cloud.html

Thanks for the link. That explains everything perfectly. The Spurs ownership has in my opinion always done its best to do two things. Keep the team financilally viable and in SA , and put the best product possible under the conditions on the floor. These two payments certainly help the finances and allows upgrades as needed. Good to see that not only are they putting the windfall back into the franchise but also going a bit further to improve the team

mytespurs
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Great article.

The way I see it, the Spurs are inclined to win while they can than conserve $$$. There's no feeling like being a champion and the Spurs are 2 seasons away from their last one. They want to win while the going is good.

Now I'm not going to say that the additions = championship at this moment but the Spurs are moving in the right direction. :)

jb4g
07-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Also, you have to wonder how much revenue did the Spurs actually lose last year by not making it past the 1st RD.

I have worked Spurs games for the past couple years, and I can tell you that they lost a lot more than just playoff revenue last year. They had a very hard time putting butts in the seat, especially midway and toward the latter end of the year. Not only that, but those who were there spent a LOT less many than in the past. I know midway through the season game day revenues were down over a third from the previous year. I dont know what the final #'s were at season end but revenues were down across the board, concessions, merchandise, parking...you name it. They even laid off some part time folks midway through the season, and the tickets sales staff was working their butts off to keep their jobs.

I think this is a huge factor in why the FO has spent so freely this offseason. There was just no buzz in the arena last year, no excitement, and truthfully the product on the floor didnt give people much reason to be excited. Granted the economy had a lot to do with this as well, but that means you have to work that much harder to get folks to part with their money these days. I think the moves made by the FO have certainly brought some hope and excitement back to the fanbase, and that should translate into better gameday revenues. The FO has done their part, we as fans need to do ours and go to the games and spend spend spend!

rasho8
07-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I bought my season tickets yesterday.

Hells yeah.

tmtcsc
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I have worked Spurs games for the past couple years, and I can tell you that they lost a lot more than just playoff revenue last year. They had a very hard time putting butts in the seat, especially midway and toward the latter end of the year. Not only that, but those who were there spent a LOT less many than in the past. I know midway through the season game day revenues were down over a third from the previous year. I dont know what the final #'s were at season end but revenues were down across the board, concessions, merchandise, parking...you name it. They even laid off some part time folks midway through the season, and the tickets sales staff was working their butts off to keep their jobs.

I think this is a huge factor in why the FO has spent so freely this offseason. There was just no buzz in the arena last year, no excitement, and truthfully the product on the floor didnt give people much reason to be excited. Granted the economy had a lot to do with this as well, but that means you have to work that much harder to get folks to part with their money these days. I think the moves made by the FO have certainly brought some hope and excitement back to the fanbase, and that should translate into better gameday revenues. The FO has done their part, we as fans need to do ours and go to the games and spend spend spend!

I was a season ticket holder for several years. After a while the excitement goes away. Parking becomes a pain, you realize there are only a handful of games that are worth a damn and the concession prices are outrageous.

This year, I've decided to go to the good games (Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, Magic). I'll pay the extra $$ for scalpped tickets but it'll be a far cry less than what I was paying for season tickets.

I completely admit that I became spoiled. Winning regular season games wasn't enough. Hell, it really has become an 82 game preseason for the most part.

I'm sure that someone else will take my seats and get to enjoy them as much as I did. I sat through 3 Championship series and many playoff games.

The last straw for me was the 40 % ticket price increase. I gave it one more year with the new pricing and called it quits. The ROI just wasn't enough. Especially with the injuries and humiliating, pathetic bounce by the Mavs. I didn't need to pay for that.

DaBears
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I normally dont make it to regular season games but this year i might have to attend some, besides season tickets are a terrible thing to waste.

DaBears
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I think All SPURS FANS need to bring it this YEAR.

SPURS STRIVE FOR 5. in 2009.

Old School 44
10-21-2009, 03:02 PM
"This is It!" after the Michael Jackson documentary/movie.
I am sure there are some promo posters/flyers that can be photoshopped to fit the Spurs.