PDA

View Full Version : Orlando to match offer on Gortat?

Leetonidas
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
"I have a feeling now they (Magic) are going to match it,'' Gortat said Friday between Summer League Games. "That's what I'm hearing, they will match. We'll have to see, but I'm kind of down right now."

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/10/gortat-disappointed-that-magic-might-match-mavs-offer-sheet/

angelbelow
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
lol hes would be overpaid either way.

Leetonidas
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Looks like the Mavericks will have no Bass or Gortat now.

lol mavericks

bostonguy
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Gortat is just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I doubt Orlando matches that offer after signing bass and is willing to pay Gortat that much cash to play 15-20 minutes a night.

Leetonidas
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Gortat is just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I doubt Orlando matches that offer after signing bass and is willing to pay Gortat that much cash to play 15-20 minutes a night.

True, but still, it would be hilarious.

IronMexican
07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Orlando is that retarded? They could have had Hedo with that money.

jag
07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
It makes no sense for them to match, but it would be hilarious.

Findog
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
1) Orlando is already in lux tax territory and still has roster spots to fill. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to match Gortat when they can't flip him in a trade for 90 days.

2) It's most likely a negotiating ploy. He has 7 days to match and gives away all his leverage with agents and other teams if he says he won't.

3) Mavs could've matched the offer to Bass, plus they helped Toronto net a TE in the Marion deal. It would not be wise for Smith to fuck the Mavericks over like that after Dallas let them have Bass and helped them out.

That said, anything can happen, but I think it's 70-85% likely Gortat will be a Mav.

jag
07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
1) Orlando is already in lux tax territory and still has roster spots to fill. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to match Gortat when they can't flip him for 90 days.

2) Most likely a negotiating ploy. He has 7 days to match and gives away all his leverage with agents and other teams if he says he won't.

3) Mavs could've matched the offer to Bass, plus they helped Toronto net a TE in the Marion deal. It would not be wise for Smith to fuck the Mavericks over like that after Dallas let them have Bass and helped them out.

That said, anything can happen, but I think it's 70-85% likely Gortat will be a Mav.

I agree. But if it doesn't work out, Cuban will probably go after someon like Big Baby or Gooden...which is still an improvement.

crc21209
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
1) Orlando is already in lux tax territory and still has roster spots to fill. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to match Gortat when they can't flip him in a trade for 90 days.

2) It's most likely a negotiating ploy. He has 7 days to match and gives away all his leverage with agents and other teams if he says he won't.

When it comes down to it, I doubt teams care about "fucking each other over". Business is business.

Findog
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
When it comes down to it, I doubt teams care about "fucking each other over". Business is business.

I doubt Orlando wants to pay a dollar for dollar lux tax penalty for a backup C making the full MLE when they're already over the cap and have several roster spots to fill. It doesn't make sense when Howard's backup will only play 10-15 minutes a night. And they can't trade him for 90 days if they do match.

Bass is a better fit for Orlando and Gortat is a better fit for Dallas. I highly doubt the Mavs would've gone out of their way to net Orlando a TE if they thought it was a distinct possibility that they would match Gortat.

jack sommerset
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Orlando must be looking for a potential trade with another team or money from Cuban.

Findog
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Orlando must be looking for a potential trade with another team or money from Cuban.

I think it's just a negotiating ploy. If right out of the gate he said "We're definitely not going to match Gortat," that would reduce his leverage with agents and other teams. Still, anything is possible.

Findog
07-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Gortat cant be traded until December if Orlando matches.

Amarelooms
07-10-2009, 04:44 PM
More I think about it...to hell with Gortat and Orlando. Cuban better be talking to other free agents....I say sign Gooden and Barnes instead if Orlando matches. Also, resign Hollins and Singleton.

:elephant

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Good move by Orlando. They will be a force to reckon with next year.

Findog
07-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Good move by Orlando. They will be a force to reckon with next year.

Change your team if you're going to be a bitch. There's intellectual honesty (not liking the Kidd trade) and then there's your schtick. Draw a bath, get in and throw a toaster in the water or STFU.

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Change your team if you're going to be a bitch. There's intellectual honesty (not liking the Kidd trade) and then there's your schtick. Draw a bath, get in and throw a toaster in the water or STFU.
Orlando was in the finals last year. Not Dallas. Do you want to see the Lakers win another championship? Orlando is probably the best option to stop their run. Gortat being a big part to it. Dallas will need more than Gortat to be in the elite. Marion is overrated.

picnroll
07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Gortat re-signed would be in pretty big demand when he's trade eligible. Houston. New York. Number of teams.

Findog
07-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Orlando was in the finals last year. Not Dallas. Do you want to see the Lakers win another championship? Orlando is probably the best option to stop their run. Gortat being a big part to it. Dallas will need more than Gortat to be in the elite. Marion is overrated.

I could give a fuck about the Lakers or Orlando. I root for the Mavericks. I could give a fuck who wins the title if it's not Dallas. The day I put "Lakers not winning a title" over "wanting my team to get better" is the day I turn in my Mavs fan card. Go Carradine yourself.

Findog
07-10-2009, 06:08 PM
And according to another reporter, Gortat said this at some point today:

“It just doesn’t look like they are going to pay all of that money to a backup player who plays 10 minutes a night,” Gortat said from the Orlando Pro Summer League, where he’s been a spectator all week. “(The Bass signing) explains a lot to me and it looks like I’ve got to get ready for a trip to Dallas.”

ginobili's bald spot
07-10-2009, 06:10 PM

:lol What the fuck kinda fan are you?

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
:lol What the fuck kinda fan are you?
I based my judgement about Marion when he was in his prime. Him starting to age doesn't help things. Dallas has no player that can create for others off the dribble. Harris used to be that player.

23LeBronJames23
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks like the Mavericks will have no Bass or Gortat now.

lol mavericks

they already signed Bass

sribb43
07-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I will personally fly to Orlando and fuck up Otis Smith if he matches Gortat

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I will personally fly to Orlando and fuck up Otis Smith if he matches Gortat
Oh yes. Fucking up someone for doing the better for their team is real mature. Every team trying to win the championship over Dallas should really be fucked up. :rolleyes

sribb43
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Oh yes. Fucking up someone for doing the better for their team is real mature. Every team trying to win the championship over Dallas should really be fucked up. :rolleyes

STFU, how is that for mature....

mavsfan1000
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
STFU, how is that for mature....
It's business. The part of business is fucking up other businesses. I don't expect Dallas to do favors for other teams. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

djohn2oo8
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Why do the Mavs seem like they are always behind the 8-ball?

Because they are

Spursmania
07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
It's business. The part of business is fucking up other businesses. I don't expect Dallas to do favors for other teams. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

Well, I give you:tu for being honest!:lol

dude1394
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM
To be honest I cannot tell what "leverage" he's gaining here. Gortat's signed the offer sheet, he's not going to be sign and traded. Now he can match him and then try to trade him 90 days later. I'm not sure if that's 90 basketball days or calendar days. But I guess bballers do not get paid until the season starts???? Not really sure...so he wouldn't be putting up any money.

But matching him and keeping him seems pretty weird. That would be about a 12million/year contract...quite a bit.

Of course that's what cubes paid for him!

monosylab1k
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Dude, your team is about to trade for Carlos Boozer, why aren't you busy discussing that?

Spursmania
07-10-2009, 07:08 PM
It makes no sense for them to match, but it would be hilarious.

Exactly, I just don't see Magic don't that. It makes no sense.