PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Factor in this coming season's success?

Mavs<Spurs
07-10-2009, 05:35 PM
What's your take ?

1. Manu's health
2. Tim's knees and their health
3. Injuries in general
4. Impact of RJ
5. Impact of Blair
6. Impact of Mahinmi / Haislip/ Gist/ McClinton
7. Back up point guard position
8. Spurs Defense returns
9. McDyess and his play
10. Pop's coaching
11. Tony Parker
12. Impact of Bill Schoening

If you were to pick one of these, which factor do you think will be the biggest in deciding how far we go in the playoffs?

What would you be satisfied with ? Only another championship ?

What will be decisive in the matchup with LA if we get that far ?

:wakeup

Muser
07-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Health in general, we need all of our big players to stay healthy, if Manu goes down then so do the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
The Spurs need a healthy Big 4. Plain and simple. Any other problems can be compensated for.

gospursgojas
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
health

SenorSpur
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Overall team health.

clubalien
07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
without a doubt it is if pop lets manu play. I don't recall pop giving manu very many mins in the playoffs. It just goes to show if pop don't play manu we don't win.

Muser
07-10-2009, 05:58 PM
without a doubt it is if pop lets manu play. I don't recall pop giving manu very many mins in the playoffs. It just goes to show if pop don't play manu we don't win.

...Because he couldn't play?

Libri
07-10-2009, 06:11 PM

coyotes_geek
07-10-2009, 06:15 PM

:rollin

peskypesky
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
health and pop not coaching like a dumbass.

YODA
07-10-2009, 06:20 PM
health

+1

plus....Interior D, which was way lacking last year. Can dice blair and Ian solve this?? IT will be better, but who knows at this point.

Yoda

SA210
07-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Biggest Factor in this coming season's success?

Bringing Bruce Bowen back, period.

gospursgojas
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Bringing "Y'all Ready Fo This!" back as the starting line-up music...

callo1
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Health and some of the new additions living up to the F.O.'s expectations.

all_heart
obviously health, beyond that it will be a combination of things such as good D, RJ, and impact of bigs like Blair and McDyess.

Dice
I believe it will be the impact Jefferson and McDyess's play have on the other players. With those guys on the court it takes a lot of the scoring pressure off the big 3. Jefferson can create his own shot and put a lot of pressure on the other teams defense. McDyess will take a lot the the defensive pressure off Duncan to cover the other teams big men. If I'm not mistaken one of Duncan's few flaws is the fact that he sometimes takes himself out of games with fouls. Mcdyess can guard any big in the league. He won't shut them down but who does? His ability to hit the long jumper will keep a lot of defenses honest and he also was Detroit's best when it came to setting big screens. Most importantly he's a fighter under the glass. Duncan has been the Spurs one rebounder for a long time and now he'll have a lot better than average help.

All this helps keep the big 3 from wearing down as much during the regular season and hopefully keeps them healthy also. Add to that that this starting five is capable of putting up a lot of points quickly and that means some blow out games where the starters might get to take half the night off.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 06:31 PM
health
:flag::flag::flag:

Mavs<Spurs
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM

LOL. :lol

I love Bill Schoening. He is easily the best announcer for any NBA team !

And most of the time, I will silence my tv and listen to him.

I should add number 13 is us the fans !

easy7
07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
14. Bonner playing center for 25+ mins. :bang

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 06:52 PM
14. Bonner playing center for 25+ mins. :bang
+1000

Knoxxx
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
#2, we need a much more lightfooted Duncan, not the plodding version we painfully saw in the playoffs. Speaking of which, what is the outlook for TD's knees? Is he on an invevitable decline, or can we expect him to "get healthy" and give us an Olajuwon-type late career run? That is the $20 million question these days.

Mavs<Spurs
07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I believe it will be the impact Jefferson and McDyess's play have on the other players. With those guys on the court it takes a lot of the scoring pressure off the big 3. Jefferson can create his own shot and put a lot of pressure on the other teams defense. McDyess will take a lot the the defensive pressure off Duncan to cover the other teams big men. If I'm not mistaken one of Duncan's few flaws is the fact that he sometimes takes himself out of games with fouls. Mcdyess can guard any big in the league. He won't shut them down but who does? His ability to hit the long jumper will keep a lot of defenses honest and he also was Detroit's best when it came to setting big screens. Most importantly he's a fighter under the glass. Duncan has been the Spurs one rebounder for a long time and now he'll have a lot better than average help.

All this helps keep the big 3 from wearing down as much during the regular season and hopefully keeps them healthy also. Add to that that this starting five is capable of putting up a lot of points quickly and that means some blow out games where the starters might get to take half the night off.

terrific posts. And Duncan can get in foul trouble, although it doesn't happen a lot, it happens at bad times. Usually due to a lack of help inside.

Dice's rebounding is going to be a major advantage. He's a much better rebounder than Rasheed and We desperately needed help on the boards from a big.

nice post.

DAF86
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Health and the new guys playing at the level they're expected to play.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM

:toast

Great points all, I agree. The more rest the vets get, the better.

The Spurs won't "shut down" anybody anymore. The rule changes have made sure of that.

The Spurs need to be very good defensively, but great offensively.

They have all the tools.

angelbelow
07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
either health in general. or the return of our championship form defense.

duncan228
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
...what is the outlook for TD's knees? Is he on an invevitable decline, or can we expect him to "get healthy" and give us an Olajuwon-type late career run?

It's my understanding that the tendonosis is here to stay. His left knee has bugged him more the last couple of seasons. It's going to be a matter of severity on any given night.

Rest and rehab were the long off-season plan, I hope he'll come into camp strong. I expect Pop to sit him one game of most, if not all, back-to-backs. Hopefully with that extra rest and measured minutes he'll get to the Playoffs strong.

What I do know is that if he can he will rise for the Playoffs. He always does.

Russ
07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Without 1-3 we never get to 4-12.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
It's my understanding that the tendonosis is here to stay. His left knee has bugged him more the last couple of seasons. It's going to be a matter of severity on any given night.

Rest and rehab were the long off-season plan, I hope he'll come into camp strong. I expect Pop to sit him one game of most, if not all, back-to-backs. Hopefully with that extra rest and measured minutes he'll get to the Playoffs strong.

What I do know is that if he can he will rise for the Playoffs. He always does.
:flag::flag::flag:

TIMMYD!
07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
health

ElNono
07-10-2009, 07:49 PM
8. Spurs Defense returns

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
8. Spurs Defense returns

The Return of the Jedi!

raspsa
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Pop's coaching of course.

Chieflion
07-10-2009, 08:08 PM
David Stern!

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
David Stern!
:rollin

lurker23
07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
1. Health, for the team in general, but specifically Duncan, Manu, Parker, Jefferson, and McDyess, in that order. If any of those first 3 go down near the playoffs, we're in serious trouble. If 4 or 5 go down near the playoffs, we can still win, but it'd be a heck of a lot harder.

2. Defense. Spurs need to return to championship caliber defense. Yes, they need to play good individual defense, but more importantly they need to play Spurs Level team defense.

3. Chemistry. This is highly underrated by most observers, but is very very important. Yes, health was the number one reason the Spurs lost to the Mavericks in the first round last year, but chemistry was a very close 2nd. Injuries throughout the regular season last year kept the Spurs chemistry at its lowest level in a very long time. Spurs teams under Pop thrive when they learn how to play together. Often this takes a few months, and the chemistry is solidified by February. Hopefully #1 on my list above will allow that cohesion to form.

Glad you put this on the list. Very important. :tu :smokin:

ginobilized
07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Bill Schoening is unstoppable......that's a given.
After that, health of Timmy and the cohesion of the team.

z0sa
07-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Health permitting, I fully expect a 60+ win regular season and deep postseason run. The Spurs will be looking for the top seed and may need it to knock off the Lakers and whoever comes out of the East.

Credit the FO for putting together the right minds, with the right talent, in the right situations. Let's hope the medical staff can demonstrate their abilities as well.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 10:07 PM
1. Health
2. Health
3. Health
4. Health
5. Health
6. Health
7. Health
8. Health
9. Health
10. Health

I'm glad you didn't overemphasize anything!

will_spurs
07-10-2009, 10:24 PM
1. Health
2. Health
3. Health
4. Health
5. Health
6. Health
7. Health
8. Health
9. Health
10. Health

So what do you have as reasons #11 and #12? :downspin:

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 10:38 PM
So what do you have as reasons #11 and #12? :downspin:
:lol

spurs opsman
07-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Manu's health...
...Timmy's knee's...
Hill not suffering a sophomore slump...
...Kobe vacation's in Colorado:cooldevil

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Manu's health...
...Timmy's knee's...
Hill not suffering a sophomore slump...
...Kobe vacation's in Colorado:cooldevil
:bang

Da Spurs
07-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Pop's Vineyard.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Pop's Vineyard.
:whine

slick'81
07-10-2009, 11:05 PM
like others have said of course luck ie health mainly timmy and manu

clubalien
07-10-2009, 11:19 PM
last year with manu injuried we should have tanked the season.

So i ask after investing in all these movies if we have an "injury" season do you play through it all out for champs or do you tank the season for the draft?

do you owe it to everyone to go for it when you cannot win even though tanking would bring a top pick/player

Dice
07-10-2009, 11:35 PM
last year with manu injuried we should have tanked the season.

So i ask after investing in all these movies if we have an "injury" season do you play through it all out for champs or do you tank the season for the draft?

do you owe it to everyone to go for it when you cannot win even though tanking would bring a top pick/player

But wouldn't every team that thought they didn't have a chance this season do the same thing if that were an option? There'd be at least 10 to 15 teams "tanking it". plus who's gonna buy tickets to go watch a team tank?

It would be kinda neat I guess, watching teams try to score the least amount of points. In the end they'd still play, they'd just be trying to score in their opponents basket.

Blackjack
07-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Health is a no-brainer and pretty much goes without saying but second to that would be growth.

If I'm brutally honest with myself when looking at this roster, and that of the main competitors, health alone will keep the Spurs contenders, but alone won't bring home a title.

The Front Line

The front line consists of two known, proven quantities; Duncan and 'Dyess. Alone they don't have the means to likely hold up throughout the regular season and playoffs without a significant contribution defensively from the likes of a Blair, Mahinmi, Haislip, and Bonner. That's 3 out of 4 guys that potentially need to contribute that have little to no experience. Unless another addition is yet to be made, the growth of this very green crew proves to be vital.

Backup Point

Tony Parker's ascension to superstar-level last year proved to be a godsend to an injury-riddled team. He took more ownership and responsibility than he ever had before and almost single handedly kept the Spurs in the running for a top 3 seed. While the growth of Tony was fantastic and the new-found gear he unleashed was some kind of a revelation, a glaring weakness was exposed. Do I have to mention Roger Mason?

Tony's ability and stud-status can no longer be questioned but the length of time he's asked to do it, sure as hell can. Let's face it. Tony's a 6'-ish, slight point-guard. He's simply not built to bear the responsibility of being that dominant a facilitator night-in and night-out, lead the team in scoring and give an honest effort defensively. The recent additions of Jefferson and McDyess, along with a healthy Tim and Manu should ease the scoring and facilitating burden but the guy needs a blow every now and then. Enter Hill and McClinton.

A backup point the likes of Vaughn is no longer acceptable. The Spurs need someone to come in and actually have the potential to expand a lead, not simply tread water. Hill and McClinton, though more shooting than point-guards, do bring such potential. The Spurs don't need these guys to be pure point-guards or to be Parker clones, but they need them to come in and exploit their respective strengths, take care of the ball and simply initiate the offense. Their ability to grow/succeed in such a role could ultimately be the difference in the type of Parker the Spurs get down the stretch; in terms of health and freshness.

Defensive-Wing

One of the all-time great perimeter defenders leaves a void, that even in his advanced years, will not easily be filled. Bowen was more than what he brought physically to the floor, even if that was enough to leave an indelible impact. Bowen brought a toughness and grit along with a confidence and assurance that few role players ever have. With the Spurs having to part with one of the cornerstones of their three previous championship teams, the Spurs look to the newly acquired Jefferson to approximate what Bowen brought on the defensive end.

Jefferson early in his career proved to be a capable defender and more of an all-around player. Possessing ideal size, strength and athleticism, there's no question R.J. has the tools to be a quality defender. As his years went on in the league though, and as injuries to the likes of Kidd, Carter, Redd, and Bogut occured, Jefferson's role steadily drifted away from the all-around player he was entering the league.

R.J. became a 20ppg scorer and honed his offensive-ability to a level he never reached before, but with that progression also came a regression on the defensive-end. Pop's admitted duty now, is to reverse/revert his thinking back to more of the defensive all-around player he was entering the league and get him to accept a different role than he's become accustomed.

Another option that could potentially be taking a crack at filling the Bowen void would be Malik Hairston. Malik coming out of Oregon was a deceptive, physical athlete, who was probably a little more physical than athletic. Playing in an up-tempo offense in Oregon he played more of a small-ball 4 and was a very solid mid-range shooter, slasher, rebounder, defender, and an underrated passer.

Malik, though, entered the draft having re-made his body and having shed a lot of his "baby fat." While still a physical player, his explosiveness seemed to find another gear. Standing 6' 5'' with long arms he no longer look or played like the small-ball 4 he'd been labeled, but proved capable of sticking to the most elite of players on the defensive end. A Detroit kid who plays with both a physical and mental toughness, Malik never seems phased by the opponent or challenge. Hearing Malik's comments, Pop's obviously made the objective clear. Rediscover and improve on that shot and prove capable of being that primary defender night-in and night-out. Another vital role potentially depending on the growth of a player. (Gist, although more of a 4 offensively, could also potentially be an option here. I feel the ability is there for him defensively at the 3 but his ability to knock down the corner 3 offensively, might very well be his ticket to a roster spot.)

This upcoming year's transition in personnel brings a challenge that hasn't been seen since probably the '04 team. The big difference?

The talent acquired is a proposition, that perhaps, we've never seen.

This team will probably win on talent alone most nights, while they grow and learn from each other, and their ultimate success might end up being in a somewhat '03 fashion; in terms of growth during the season and peaking down the stretch.

SonOfAGun
07-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Manu going Rocky 4 and not V.

SA210
07-11-2009, 02:22 AM
8. Spurs Defense returns

Hard without Bowen

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 02:42 AM
:king

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2009, 02:56 AM
What's your take ?

1. Manu's health
3. Injuries in general
4. Impact of RJ
5. Impact of Blair
6. Impact of Mahinmi / Haislip/ Gist/ McClinton
7. Back up point guard position
8. Spurs Defense returns
9. McDyess and his play
10. Pop's coaching
11. Tony Parker

If you were to pick one of these, which factor do you think will be the biggest in deciding how far we go in the playoffs?

What would you be satisfied with ? Only another championship ?

What will be decisive in the matchup with LA if we get that far ?

:wakeup

Complex events, like winning an NBA championship for example, can rarely be resolved down to one or two determining factors. Complex effects usually come with complex causes.

That ends your soft systems theory lecture for today. :lol

However, we certainly can't win without a healthy team. That is a motherhood statement.

HarlemHeat37
07-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Health is the only issue for me..if that aspect is positive, everything else will fall into place..

BillMc
07-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Health and getting all the new guys to work together as a team. Remember how usually the Rodeo Road Trip is like a mid-season training camp and how we springboard to success after that? Well last year's was kind of mucked up with Manu in and out of the lineup, Pop moving pieces around and an unusual schedule that made it not feel like the normal sustained bonding period. If we come out of the RRT guns blazing this year with a true "TEAM" where everyone is healthy and knows their roles, watch out league.

Also, don't forget how good Manu was becoming before the injury in the 2008 playoffs. With last year a wash, if he can actually become BETTER that he was before, like at the end of 2008 before the injury, man we'll be a fearsome team.

Lastly, we have to assume because we still have some old players that there will be injuries (hopefully minor). How the new guys pick up the slack will be key.

It is going to be almost like the 80's where the great teams have stockpiled talent. The Lakers, Celtics, Caviliers, Magic and the Mavs all are loaded. Welcome to the NBA 2009-10, a heavweight slugfest!!!

mudyez
07-11-2009, 03:27 AM
1. Manu's health
3. Injuries in general

...all three of them!

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 03:38 AM
1. Manu's health
3. Injuries in general

...all three of them!

Consecutively!

RodNIc91
07-11-2009, 04:05 AM
Health is a no-brainer and pretty much goes without saying but second to that would be growth.

If I'm brutally honest with myself when looking at this roster, and that of the main competitors, health alone will keep the Spurs contenders, but alone won't bring home a title.

The Front Line

The front line consists of two known, proven quantities; Duncan and 'Dyess. Alone they don't have the means to likely hold up throughout the regular season and playoffs without a significant contribution defensively from the likes of a Blair, Mahinmi, Haislip, and Bonner. That's 3 out of 4 guys that potentially need to contribute that have little to no experience. Unless another addition is yet to be made, the growth of this very green crew proves to be vital.

Backup Point

Tony Parker's ascension to superstar-level last year proved to be a godsend to an injury-riddled team. He took more ownership and responsibility than he ever had before and almost single handedly kept the Spurs in the running for a top 3 seed. While the growth of Tony was fantastic and the new-found gear he unleashed was some kind of a revelation, a glaring weakness was exposed. Do I have to mention Roger Mason?

Tony's ability and stud-status can no longer be questioned but the length of time he's asked to do it, sure as hell can. Let's face it. Tony's a 6'-ish, slight point-guard. He's simply not built to bear the responsibility of being that dominant a facilitator night-in and night-out, lead the team in scoring and give an honest effort defensively. The recent additions of Jefferson and McDyess, along with a healthy Tim and Manu should ease the scoring and facilitating burden but the guy needs a blow every now and then. Enter Hill and McClinton.

A backup point the likes of Vaughn is no longer acceptable. The Spurs need someone to come in and actually have the potential to expand a lead, not simply tread water. Hill and McClinton, though more shooting than point-guards, do bring such potential. The Spurs don't need these guys to be pure point-guards or to be Parker clones, but they need them to come in and exploit their respective strengths, take care of the ball and simply initiate the offense. Their ability to grow/succeed in such a role could ultimately be the difference in the type of Parker the Spurs get down the stretch; in terms of health and freshness.

Defensive-Wing

One of the all-time great perimeter defenders leaves a void, that even in his advanced years, will not easily be filled. Bowen was more than what he brought physically to the floor, even if that was enough to leave an indelible impact. Bowen brought a toughness and grit along with a confidence and assurance that few role players ever have. With the Spurs having to part with one of the cornerstones of their three previous championship teams, the Spurs look to the newly acquired Jefferson to approximate what Bowen brought on the defensive end.

Jefferson early in his career proved to be a capable defender and more of an all-around player. Possessing ideal size, strength and athleticism, there's no question R.J. has the tools to be a quality defender. As his years went on in the league though, and as injuries to the likes of Kidd, Carter, Redd, and Bogut occured, Jefferson's role steadily drifted away from the all-around player he was entering the league.

R.J. became a 20ppg scorer and honed his offensive-ability to a level he never reached before, but with that progression also came a regression on the defensive-end. Pop's admitted duty now, is to reverse/revert his thinking back to more of the defensive all-around player he was entering the league and get him to accept a different role than he's become accustomed.

Another option that could potentially be taking a crack at filling the Bowen void would be Malik Hairston. Malik coming out of Oregon was a deceptive, physical athlete, who was probably a little more physical than athletic. Playing in an up-tempo offense in Oregon he played more of a small-ball 4 and was a very solid mid-range shooter, slasher, rebounder, defender, and an underrated passer.

Malik, though, entered the draft having re-made his body and having shed a lot of his "baby fat." While still a physical player, his explosiveness seemed to find another gear. Standing 6' 5'' with long arms he no longer look or played like the small-ball 4 he'd been labeled, but proved capable of sticking to the most elite of players on the defensive end. A Detroit kid who plays with both a physical and mental toughness, Malik never seems phased by the opponent or challenge. Hearing Malik's comments, Pop's obviously made the objective clear. Rediscover and improve on that shot and prove capable of being that primary defender night-in and night-out. Another vital role potentially depending on the growth of a player. (Gist, although more of a 4 offensively, could also potentially be an option here. I feel the ability is there for him defensively at the 3 but his ability to knock down the corner 3 offensively, might very well be his ticket to a roster spot.)

This upcoming year's transition in personnel brings a challenge that hasn't been seen since probably the '04 team. The big difference?

The talent acquired is a proposition, that perhaps, we've never seen.

This team will probably win on talent alone most nights, while they grow and learn from each other, and their ultimate success might end up being in a somewhat '03 fashion; in terms of growth during the season and peaking down the stretch.

Great post!

Jajaja!!:lol Loved Rocky 4 ...a manu of that kind wow!

I would like to add luck. In order to go all the way through you've gotta have some luck. I was looking at the 2003 playoff series against the lakers and when (ironically) horry shot that 3 at the end of the game it almost went in; I mean, I think that if it would have then we would have lost that series. I think that as a structure all the factors mentioned are crucial, but even so you've gotta have some luck. So far this offseason we've had it, lets see and hope how everything else pans out and everyone meshes.

:flag:.....:lobt2: