PDA

View Full Version : '09 Spurs Summer League Thread

Blackjack
07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
A Brief Guide to Summer League

Last summer George Hill looked dreadful and Malik Hairston was a veritable ghost at summer league. James Gist, on the other hand, played like a stud and was rewarded by a contract….in Italy. The Spurs signed Anthony Tolliver in his place. Elsewhere the Spurs whiffed on Corey Maggette and Jannero Pargo, and smart guys like me thought the offseason was a waste. I was worried. My knee jerk dialed up forecasts of doom and gloom.

But by the time preseason ended I was a certified Geoge Hill Kool-Aid drinker, was lobbying for Malik Hairston to make the team, and knew that the Warriors would give their left arm for a Corey Maggette do-over. I made a mental note: take summer league lightly. Don’t pass judgement too quickly. Give it time.

Having said that, I won’t care too much about the game to game statistics. World class flops have left Summer League with more positive buzz than Sarah Palin at a Gals with Guns convention. Instead, I’ve identified a handful of items for further study:

- Is George Hill a serviceable back up point guard? Can he run the pick and roll?

- Can Ian Mahinmi play? Will he assert himself on the block and boards? For all his tease, he tends to play more like a lamb than a lion. That’s gotta come to an end.

- Is DeJuan Blair’s height an issue against professionals?

- Can Malik Hairston function in catch and shoot situations? Does he have legit stopper potential as an on ball defender?

- Jack McClinton: is his defense as good as advertised? Can he get shots off against bigger defenders? There is no question that he has crazy deep range.

- James Gist has given a few indications that he’ll be with the team next season, and he’s clearly on the mind of folks like Don Newman and R.C. Buford. But he remains unsigned. Will he play well enough to force the front office’s hand? What would that portend for Marcus Williams and/or Malik Hairston? Would the Spurs move dependable vet Matt Bonner to create roster space for Gist? These next ten days are amongst the most important of his professional career.

For a more comprehensive, league-wide preview, check out this piece by Kevin Arnovitz. For more Spurs-related stuff, check out Pounding the Rock’s summer league coverage. Finally, David Thorpe is livetweeting from Summer League on behalf of TrueHoop.

Embedded links available here:
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/10/a-quick-guide-to-summer-league/

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Great post BlackJack!

Very thorough and insightful!

Last year it did seem like a disaster that the Clips swooped in and saved the Spurs from getting Maggete! Talk about fortunate! That a arguably better player in Mason for half the price!

Also, you're correct about SL. Proving your self in SL is just that: doing so in SL.

While it is a very positive sign, it is not the be all and end all.

Until you perform against NBA competition, it's all pre-mature.

Hope some of these young guys, namely Blair and McClinton at least have a GREAT SL!

Great thread, hope you continue to update us with everyone's progress.

urunobili
07-10-2009, 08:21 PM
James Gist bitches!

My bet is that McClinton will be the star of the team and he'll earn a contract

L.I.T
07-10-2009, 08:26 PM
48MOH seriously is the only Spurs-related blog that I read.

I think SL in Mahinmi's case becomes vitally important. If some of those rumors concerning the FO being fed up with him; a killer showing could alleviate a lot of that supposed pressure.

SL may be more important for the 2nd year + players than the rookies. I'm sure the Spurs staff will just be looking to see how quickly the rookies can acclimatize to the NBA game. While really checking to see if the vets can fill their proposed roles.

angelbelow
07-10-2009, 08:28 PM

I think SL in Mahinmi's case becomes vitally important. If some of those rumors concerning the FO being fed up with him; a killer showing could alleviate a lot of that supposed pressure.

SL may be more important for the 2nd year + players than the rookies. I'm sure the Spurs staff will just be looking to see how quickly the rookies can acclimatize to the NBA game.

i would agree, especially if they had disappointing 1st years.

ElNono
07-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Sad to see Adam Morrison and Smush Parker out there...

Good game Lakers vs Toronto

benefactor
07-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm trying to watch one of the earlier games now and can't get it to start. Anyone else having problems with it?

Thompson
07-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm trying to watch one of the earlier games now and can't get it to start. Anyone else having problems with it?

Make sure you're logged in. I thought I was logged in after I payed, but I had to go back and click on the 'subscriber' button.

I've started watching the Dallas game; either they've gone overboard with their love for Barea and signed a bunch of 4 foot losers or it's halftime and they're letting 4th graders play on the court.

ElNono
07-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Make sure you're logged in. I thought I was logged in after I payed, but I had to go back and click on the 'subscriber' button.

I've started watching the Dallas game; either they've gone overboard with their love for Barea and signed a bunch of 4 foot losers or it's halftime and they're letting 4th graders play on the court.

:lol I was WTF? also

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2009, 10:06 PM
EVERYBODY:

Is there an online web link to watch this year's summer league games for free, like last year?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Sad to see Adam Morrison and Smush Parker out there...

Good game Lakers vs Toronto

:lol

ulosturedge
07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Can anyone give us an update about how the live feed and coverage is for the SL games? Is it exactly the same as last year or is it better?

mazerrackham
07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
EVERYBODY:

Is there an online web link to watch this year's summer league games for free, like last year?

Not legally, NBA is charging 15 dollars for it. But apparently when the games are live some people were able to watch it without paying.

mazerrackham
07-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Can anyone give us an update about how the live feed and coverage is for the SL games? Is it exactly the same as last year or is it better?

I didn't see last years so I can't compare, but the quality is fairly choppy. The announcing doesn't seem bad, and unlike the Orlando summer league these announcers actually give basketball useful information instead of whining and making annoying jokes all the time. It's really not worth 15 bucks, but I really wanted to see our young guys play. Oh, and the on demand still doesn't seem to work for me yet, even though it's been a long time since the games were played.

EDIT: Well, it seems like the on demand is working but the video never loads...

ulosturedge
07-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks. If I get really bored ill throw down 15 bucks I guess.

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks. If I get really bored ill throw down 15 bucks I guess.

What is there to guess about? Go on and make Stern rich!!!:lol

clubalien
07-11-2009, 12:26 AM

killer showing = trade bait?

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 12:28 AM
killer showing = trade bait?

If he has a killer showing, they'll keep him.

mazerrackham
07-11-2009, 02:36 AM
by the way, apparently the NBA is re-encoding the streams from summer league to make it better quality. We'll see how this turns out. Maybe we will be able to review some of these games without choppiness...

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 02:37 AM
by the way, apparently the NBA is re-encoding the streams from summer league to make it better quality. We'll see how this turns out. Maybe we will be able to review some of these games without choppiness...

Or they'll just be selling the same choppy product...

benefactor
07-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I got mine going. The archived games are hit and miss. The Houston game was pretty good but the Dallas game was still kinda choppy. Oh, and lol @ the announcer during the Dallas game...I am not sure who he is but he is somehow associated with the Blazers. He was bragging about what a good job their management did in scouting Batum. :rolleyes

DMX7
07-11-2009, 01:46 PM

I've heard nothing but complainst so far.

Blackjack
07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Summer League Notes: SA vs. Den

The talk surrounding last night’s game was DeJuan Blair, who registered a DNP. There are rumors of a contract stand off between the Spurs and Happy Walters (Blair’s agent), but I’ve talked with someone close to the negotiations and was told the talks are going well. The Spurs and Blair’s agent decided to sit him for a game to finalize contract details and tie up loose ends on Blair’s insurance.

DeJuan Blair might play on Thursday, it just depends if the Spurs and Happy Walters like the way all their little duckies are lining up. The Spurs, by the way, typically sit players during summer league in order to free up minutes for others. In all likelihood, Blair would have missed a game regardless of contract negotiations. Last night’s absence is a non-story.

The game featured one noteworthy performance by Ian Mahinmi and two perception solidifying efforts from George Hill and Malik Hairston.

Ian Mahinmi played with frantic energy, running the court like a gazelle and making his rotations with an I-want-to-play urgency. He finished the game with a triple double, collecting 12 points, 16 boards, and 10 fouls in 28 minutes. Let’s start by discussing the ugly triplet, the fouls.

This will seem counter-intuitive, but I take those 10 fouls as a good sign. First, it’s summer league for more than the players. I’m confident that at least half of the whistles were blown by officials who are still finding their way. Put differently, Mahinmi played with a physicality that will serve him well against NBA bigs. In fact, he played with a physicality that is necessary against the sort of players he’ll see during the regular season. By November, most of tonight’s whistled bumps and nudges won’t be called fouls, they’ll be called good defense. It’s great to know that Mahinmi is not afraid to mix it up. His excesses will be easy enough to reign in.

Mahinmi’s point total for the game is deceiving. He established terrific low block position on multiple occasions only to be passed over by his teammates. He could have had another 4 or 5 buckets, easy. He worked hard running the court, beating his man to the block and establishing shop. For his size, Mahinmi is both fast and quick. He’s fast running the court end to end and he’s quick on face ups and pivot spins. His first step is a dart. At points, he’ll need to settle and become more methodical executing his post moves. But for now, I think the Spurs should encourage him to play at high speed. Not only will it give their front court a different look, but Mahinmi will collect fouls from slow-footed defenders. On one possession, he faced up from 18 feet and blew past his man with a simple ball swing and explosive first step.

Mahinmi’s board work was Blairesque. He simply owned his space with a combination of desire and technique. A handful of his rebounds were of the impressive variety–Mahinmi forcefully boxed out his man and showed the strength and timing necessary to covert the possession. DeJuan Blair is an all-world rebounder, but Ian Mahinmi showed the goods to hold his own in the pursuit of a loose ball.

Ian Mahinmi’s shot blocking is raw. On the game, he had two commanding highlight reel blocks that will enrage Gregg Popovich. One was a half-courter that sent the center fielder into the wall. Mahinmi will learn that it’s more important to assume possession of the ball than to reset the opposing offense. But the talent and timing of a good shot blocker is there. More encouraging to me was his consistent ability to alter shots. I counted 3 clear shot alterations that forced the Nuggets into a bad possession. He’ll refine this skill in time.

The offseason is young. Mahinmi took a big step forward this game, but he needs to maintain this momentum for the remainder of the summer. Assuming modest progression between now and November, Mahinmi is talented enough to earn occasional minutes as the team’s 5th big. But more substantial rotation minutes are not unthinkable. To my mind, he’s the team most intriguing wild card.

Malik Hairston is a different player than a year ago. Defensively, he held the uber-athletic Sonny Weems to 2 of 16. We’ve known that Hairston is capable of sturdy defense, but it’s still nice to be reminded. Offensively, Hairston is taking shape as a legitimate perimeter player. He shoots with confidence and is able to get to the basket on unspectacular but effective dribble drives. One’s imagination is not strained by the thought of Hairston in the rotation. He’s not there yet, obviously. But if he continues to push himself this summer, especially on his ball handling and outside shooting, Hairston has all the promise of a more offensively talented version of Ime Udoka. Malik Hairston must sense the opportunity that exists for him this season–Ime Udoka remains unsigned and Mike Finley’s game has lost the battle against age. The minutes available behind Richard Jefferson are for the taking.

George Hill teased us again with his talent. It’s tough to gauge his ceiling, but there is no question that he will be a vital component to the Spurs’ championship aspirations. What is so striking about Hill is how many things he does poorly. He needlessly dribbles into the baseline, he’s lost when trapped and bothered by full court pressure, and his recognition off screens is still underdeveloped. In other words, he’s nowhere near his ceiling. But he’s covered considerable ground, and his flaws are correctable. His game is evolving at an exciting pace. If they remain healthy, the Spurs will have the best backcourt in the league.

Thinking more collectively, this game suggests a new wrinkle to the Spurs’ program. George Hill is tremendoes at getting to the foul line. So is Richard Jefferson. Ian Mahinmi’s odd combination of size and speed attracts fouls. Traditionally, the Spurs have not been a team that beats their opponents at the foul line. This season will be different. There is every reason to believe the Spurs’ ability to attack the hoop will be a headache for their opponents. The summer of 2009: the gift that keeps giving.

I’ve not written about other players because their performances were either unimportant or disappointing. In a nutshell, James Gist is not making a strong case for himself. He needs more time overseas or in Austin, which, he should take note, did wonders for Malik Hairston. Jack McClinton does not look like an NBA player, although it’s still early. He can turn it around. Right now, Marcus Williams will easily beat him out for the final roster spot. But it’s a Wednesday morning in mid-July. There is plenty of time for things to change.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/15/summer-league-notes-sa-vs-den/

oligarchy
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM
BlackJack: Are you affiliated with 48MOH, or just posting it ?

Blackjack
07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
BlackJack: Are you affiliated with 48MOH, or just posting it ?

Just posting.

I guess 228 has the E-N covered and I've just assumed the 48MoH duties..

oligarchy
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I know that they at least lurk here, because they use stuff from Bruno and LJ. I was just wondering what names they post under here if they, in fact, post here.

duncan228
07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
One of the 48MoH guys posts here.

It's by far the best Spurs blog out there.

Spurs Brazil
07-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Vegas Summer League: Halfway Home Awards

July 15, 2009 1:49 AM

Posted by Kevin Arnovitz

Five days down, five to go at Las Vegas Summer League. Some teams are nearly through with their schedule, while others are just rolling into town. Since we're halfway through, it's a good moment to take inventory of what we've seen so far, and hand out some early awards.

Keep in mind that some teams have played only a single game and some stellar performances might not be acknowledged (read: Jerryd Bayless):

All Rookie Team

Tyreke Evans (SAC): Evans' one-on-one power game has produced a sick line. In three games, Evans has averaged 24.7 points and 7.7 rebounds per game. Most impressively, Evans has attempted 41 free throws in three games. His transition to point guard is a work in progress, but he'll be a scoring machine no matter where he plays on the floor. Tyreke Evans: He has shown the ability to score points at will.
(Garrett Ellwood/NBA via Getty Images)

Blake Griffin (LAC): Griffin followed up his momentous 27-point, 12-rebound debut Monday night with a hum-drum 16-point, 9-rebound, 5-assist performance. Griffin directs traffic on both ends of the floor, and has been a pleasant surprise on pick-and-roll defense -- something he didn't encounter a whole lot at the college level.
Darren Collison (NOH): The Hornets' first-round pick has brought the discipline and patience of his UCLA pedigree to the pro game. He matched George Hill mano-a-mano in his first game, then came back Tuesday night with 23 points. He's also a perfect 16-for-16 from the stripe in his two games.
Roddy Beaubois (DAL): Before the Mavericks' rookie point guard took a scary spill Monday night in his third outing, he was electrifying crowds in Cox Pavilion with his combination of speed and range. He ran up 34 points against the Rockets Saturday night, including 7-for-12 from beyond the arc.
Jodie Meeks (MIL): The second-round pick out of Kentucky might not be one of the more athletic two-guards here, but he has lit it up from midrange, averaging 16.7 points per game on 60 percent shooting. The Bucks' brass is said to be very, very pleased.
All Sophomore Team

Anthony Randolph (GSW): Quite simply, the most dominant, skilled, devastating player in town. On Tuesday, his 42 points tied a Summer League record. His current averages through four games: 26.8 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.0 blocks on 60.9 percent shooting from the field.
George Hill (SAS): Hill has demonstrated a complete command of the Spurs offense. He has picked his spots offensively, and finished -- unlike last year, when he shot eight percent from the field in Summer League action. He's averaging 20.5 points per game and getting to the line at will.

Eric Gordon (LAC): In his two games, the Clippers' second-year guard has muscled his way to the hole for 21 and 22 points, respectively. His 21-for-22 totals from the free-throw line demonstrate that strategy is working well.
Robin Lopez (PHX): The question surrounding Lopez has been one of resolve, but Lopez looked fierce in his first Summer League game, racking up 24 points, 16 boards, and a couple of blocks.

DeAndre Jordan (LAC): Jordan's athletic attributes have never been in question. Whether he could package it all together into a coherent low-post game was another matter. So far, Jordan has dominated the interior for the Clippers. He's shooting 15-for-19 from the field. He's shown sharp recognition in the post and is winning every race to the basket.
All Vets & Journeymen Team

Quincy Douby (TOR): Douby has been working hard on his game, and his effort is paying off in Las Vegas. He's shooting the ball efficiently from distance, racking up assists, and keeping turnovers to a minimum. Toronto may not have room for him in their backcourt, but his 19 points per game on 61.1 percent shooting should catch someone's attention.
Nick Young (WAS): The Wizards haven't even unpacked, but Nick Young's first game Tuesday night was a revelation. The third-year guard went insane, running up 36 points on 13-for-19 shooting, against the Cavs' hapless perimeter defenders.
Adam Morrison (LAL): It might not be the most efficient stat line of the week, but Morrison has put together a nice series of games. He's scored from distance, off cuts, and by putting the ball on the deck. It's a long road back for Morrison, but this week has served as a solid stepping stone back to respectability.
David Monds (LAL): The forward spent last summer in the D-League, and has been a solid contributor to the Lakers' 3-1 Summer League record thus far. He's averaging 14 points and five rebounds, and only 0.5 turnovers per game. He's also shooting an efficient 64.1 percent from the field.

Walker Russell, Jr. (DLS): A sentimental choice off the D-League Select roster, Russell is a creative, pass-first point guard. He sees the floor with an uncanny awareness of exactly where his teammates are, and where they want the ball. His pinpoint passes were the highlight of the Select team's victory over the Timberwolves.
All The-Week-Isn't-Working-Out-So-Far Team

David Thorpe shares his thoughts about who's had a disappointing week in Vegas:

Curry has struggled with his shooting touch, while Randolph can't seem to miss.
(Garrett Ellwood/NBA via Getty Images)

Stephen Curry (GSW): The good news for Curry is that he's been able to get shots -- largely because the ball has been in his hand. He's picking his opportunities. Unfortunately, he's picking far too many of them. Although he's averaging 19.5 points per game, he's doing it on only 31.4 percent shooting. His assist/turnover ratio? 4.5 to 3.75.
Donte Greene (SAC): Greene is a bit of collateral damage playing next to Tyreke Evans. He needs the ball in the right spots, and Evans can't deliver those passes yet. So Greene is struggling to score efficiently, shooting only 8-for-27 over three games.
Mike Taylor (LAC): Taylor can shoot, is lightning quick, and plays with spirit. But he's not been able to put it together and look like a rotation point guard.
Bobby Brown (MIN): Sorry to break fellow Titan Marc Stein's heart, but for a team that just drafted two rookie PGs, Brown hoped to show this week that he could be part of the 'Wolves backcourt rotation. That's looking unlikely. He's shooting 35.7 percent from the field, and not giving the 'Wolves much else.
Luc Mbah a Moute (MIL): Mbah a Moute has already proved he's a rotation player in this league. He was hoping to show that he can be more than just a tough defender. Thus far, that hasn't happened.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-75/Vegas-Summer-League--Halfway-Home-Awards.html

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Summer League Notes: SA vs. OKC

Last night a friend reduced Summer League to its finest syrupy self with this statement: “After the offseason the Spurs have already had, they don’t need anymore All-Stars. They just need to upgrade their role players. I think they’ve done it.”

The Spurs won last night’s contest, having too much talent and defense for the over matched Thunder. But the final score of 85-76 is hardly important.

Don’t look now, but the San Antonio Spurs have an embarrassment of young talent. George Hill and DeJuan Blair are easily rotation players in the NBA. Last week I might have softened that statement, but there is no need for that kind of downplay this morning. If the Spurs needed to upgrade their role players, they’ve done it.

What is most impressive about Hill and Blair is their ability to do the little things that will compliment San Antonio’s star core. Blair is a much better passer than I’d imagined. My favorite play of the game was a simple high post feed from Blair to Ian Mahinmi. Blair took a moment, sized up the defenders, and gifted Mahinmi with a soft, accurate ball that was converted into a trip to the line. Blair, much too my surprise, has legit NBA post moves as well. He’s not all rebounds and big smiles. He’ll prove a value commodity off the bench.

George Hill is transforming into a point guard before our eyes. This was evident on a few perfectly executed pick and rolls, one of which found Blair cutting to the hoop for a monster dunk. But George Hill’s ability to run the point is more evident in shouting and arm waving. Hill is commanding the team on offense and defense, setting plays, directing traffic, and, when the need arises, calling his own number. In a word, he’s vocal.

Hill is a different player from a year ago. Through most of his rookie campaign, Hill struggled finishing at the rim and with his midrange game. No longer. Hill has finished multiple plays above the rim this summer, punctuating them with emphatic dunks. He’s made the leap from a player with promise to one who is a threat to opposing defenses.

Just behind Blair and Hill stand Ian Mahinmi and Malik Hairston. While I’m not as confident in either of their ability to make the opening day rotation, there is no question they’re a valuable addition to the Spurs’ bench. Hairston is remade as a basketball player. He has been the team’s best shooter, quietly and confidently knocking down shots from all around the perimeter. And when the defense breaks the wrong way, he can get to the rim and finish with authority. Most importantly, Hairston played sensational defense for much of last night’s contest. He’s a bit undersized to guard small forwards, but makes up for it with grit and a deceptively good leap.

From courtside, Wayne Vore described the DeJuan Blair/Ian Mahinmi tandem as having gelled last night. They did look comfortable together, and their styles compliment the other. Blair is a brute. Mahinmi is quick and clever. Mahinmi has shown flashes of special talent on offense and defense, but his best attribute so far, one that should translate to the big league court, is his dedication to running the floor. He’s faster than most bigs, and he’s routinely beating his man end to end. Offensively, this accounts for his frequent trips to the foul line. Once he’s established early position, the defender is helpless. At least 3 of his trips to last night’s charity line followed wrap-up type fouls. To his credit, Mahinmi has enough polish in the post that its not simply a matter getting his work done early. But he plays best at high energy.

Having said this, the most intriguing thing about Ian is his lack of refinement. He’s still learning the game, and he’s still learning to control his body. At worst, the Spurs have a Fransico Elson quality big in Ian Mahinmi. But his ceiling is much higher. At 22, he has time to develop into the sort of bigman other team’s covet.

The most important part of this summer won’t be televised. What will these players–and Marcus Williams and Marcus Haislip–do between now and training camp. The Spurs could go into the season with a bench full of serviceable young 20 year olds at multiple positions. It’ll be interesting to see if Pop will roll that way, dedicating the first half of next season to their continued development. And, of course, whether the players give him reason to.

In some ways that approach makes sense. With Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, and the youngsters in the fold, the Spurs biggest challenge is mental. They’ll have to learn the system, and learn to play with one another, in the space between October and April. This will be Pop’s most challenging season as a coach. He can’t simply rely on the corporate knowledge of his vets. No. This year’s team will require much more from Popovich. It’s exciting to see so much wet clay on the wheel, but it’s also a mess.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/17/summer-league-notes-sa-vs-okc/

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/17/coach-george-hill/

I was just talking to a friend who attended Spurs practice today. He passed along this fun aside.

It was amazing to me to watch Hill run that thing. Telling Beck what he’s supposed to be doing on a particular defensive rotation, or explaining an offensive set to James Gist.

The kid has come a long way in 12 months. Don Newman kept calling him “Coach George,” which I thought was funny.