PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Low-Key Tactics Land McDyess

duncan228
07-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Spurs' low-key tactics land McDyess (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_low-key_tactics_land_McDyess.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs didn't charter a jet to Houston to visit Antonio McDyess with an entourage of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, head coach Gregg Popovich and majority owner Peter Holt.

That was Boston's approach last week, pulling out all the stops to recruit Detroit Pistons free agent power forward Rasheed Wallace. The Celtics sent their owner, head coach and Big Three scoring stars to Wallace's home in suburban Detroit.

The Spurs got the Pistons big man they needed with a solid offer, a low-key approach and a couple of text messages from Duncan.

McDyess made things official Friday, signing a contract that makes the 6-foot-9, 245-pound power forward arguably the team's most significant outside free-agent signee of the Duncan era.

NBA executives familiar with the negotiations say the deal is for three years, starting at the full midlevel exception to the NBA's salary cap rules, $5.845 million. The third year is partially guaranteed, making the guaranteed money roughly $15 million.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford called the newest Spur “a great acquisition” whose skills mesh perfectly with the Spurs' approach.

“I think he's an incredibly bright and savvy player,” Buford said. “To go through the wars he's gone through and be as effective as he's been, and incredibly disciplined and highly effective on defense, you can't do that without having great concentration and focus. But he's also got great team defensive awareness.

“He should be a welcome addition to a team that emphasizes defense like we do.”

It appears that McDyess' best fit will be in the Spurs' starting lineup, alongside fellow big man Duncan. Both players are combination big men, capable of switching between the power forward and center spots. McDyess started 30 games at center for the Pistons last season, and in those 30 games averaged 12.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and 1.17 blocks in 34.9 minutes per game.

In 32 games off the bench — his season was interrupted when he had to sit out for 30 days after a trade to Denver and subsequent release by the Nuggets — his averages were 7.3 points, 8.6 rebounds and 0.47 block in 25.6 minutes.

McDyess will be 35 by the time the Spurs open training camp, but he remains one of the NBA's most productive post players. The second pick in the 1995 draft, he entered the league as a super-athletic big man who played almost entirely above the rim.

Knee injuries plagued him for three seasons, from 2001-2004, when he played only 52 games. He emerged after two knee surgeries as a slightly less explosive but much more savvy post man.

The Spurs believe he has plenty of game left.

“All we can do is evaluate how he plays right now,” Buford said. “In watching him last season, he was very effective and very efficient and very impactful on the game. I would think, physiologically, each individual deals with age and longevity differently.”

The Spurs had tried to attain McDyess when the Nuggets released him after the blockbuster trade that sent him to Denver, part of the deal that swapped Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson.

Buford was pleased on Friday to finally, officially, get his man, and without a special trip to Houston.

“A person of Antonio's character and abilities will always be coveted in the NBA,” he said. “We've long recognized what a great acquisition Antonio would be for the Spurs, and we're really excited for the opportunity to come to fruition.”

timvp
07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
The Spurs got the Pistons big man they needed with a solid offer, a low-key approach and a couple of text messages from Duncan.

pls help idk what i'm gonna do if bonner is the starter again lol

SonOfAGun
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
lmao timvp

clubalien
07-10-2009, 11:41 PM
it is so sad that anyone would think bonner should be a starting center

I don;t think is is a problem but our starting rotation of bigmen have or had knee issues
tim,dice,and blair. I guess it is just the curse of being big and playing so much.

Sausage
07-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Great article. I'm so excited for this season to start.

Samr
07-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I'd pay money to read those text messages.

together we have one set of knees and a championship, ya think?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:46 PM
:rollin:rollin:rollin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
:lmao @timvp.

Spurs' low-key tactics land McDyess (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_low-key_tactics_land_McDyess.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs didn't charter a jet to Houston to visit Antonio McDyess with an entourage of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, head coach Gregg Popovich and majority owner Peter Holt.

That was Boston's approach last week, pulling out all the stops to recruit Detroit Pistons free agent power forward Rasheed Wallace. The Celtics sent their owner, head coach and Big Three scoring stars to Wallace's home in suburban Detroit.

McDyess made things official Friday, signing a contract that makes the 6-foot-9, 245-pound power forward arguably the team's most significant outside free-agent signee of the Duncan era.

NBA executives familiar with the negotiations say the deal is for three years, starting at the full midlevel exception to the NBA's salary cap rules, $5.845 million. The third year is partially guaranteed, making the guaranteed money roughly $15 million.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford called the newest Spur “a great acquisition” whose skills mesh perfectly with the Spurs' approach.

“I think he's an incredibly bright and savvy player,” Buford said. “To go through the wars he's gone through and be as effective as he's been, and incredibly disciplined and highly effective on defense, you can't do that without having great concentration and focus. But he's also got great team defensive awareness.

“He should be a welcome addition to a team that emphasizes defense like we do.”

It appears that McDyess' best fit will be in the Spurs' starting lineup, alongside fellow big man Duncan. Both players are combination big men, capable of switching between the power forward and center spots. McDyess started 30 games at center for the Pistons last season, and in those 30 games averaged 12.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and 1.17 blocks in 34.9 minutes per game.

In 32 games off the bench — his season was interrupted when he had to sit out for 30 days after a trade to Denver and subsequent release by the Nuggets — his averages were 7.3 points, 8.6 rebounds and 0.47 block in 25.6 minutes.

McDyess will be 35 by the time the Spurs open training camp, but he remains one of the NBA's most productive post players. The second pick in the 1995 draft, he entered the league as a super-athletic big man who played almost entirely above the rim.

Knee injuries plagued him for three seasons, from 2001-2004, when he played only 52 games. He emerged after two knee surgeries as a slightly less explosive but much more savvy post man.

The Spurs believe he has plenty of game left.

“All we can do is evaluate how he plays right now,” Buford said. “In watching him last season, he was very effective and very efficient and very impactful on the game. I would think, physiologically, each individual deals with age and longevity differently.”

The Spurs had tried to attain McDyess when the Nuggets released him after the blockbuster trade that sent him to Denver, part of the deal that swapped Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson.

Buford was pleased on Friday to finally, officially, get his man, and without a special trip to Houston.

“A person of Antonio's character and abilities will always be coveted in the NBA,” he said. “We've long recognized what a great acquisition Antonio would be for the Spurs, and we're really excited for the opportunity to come to fruition.”

For mine, those quotes help to confirm that Dice was actually the target all along. What do you think, LJ?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:49 PM
it is so sad that anyone would think bonner should be a starting center

I don;t think is is a problem but our starting rotation of bigmen have or had knee issues
tim,dice,and blair. I guess it is just the curse of being big and playing so much.
:lol

clubalien
07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
I think you want dice. However, the chances were high that he could stay. You cannot turn down rwallace and have bonner starting if dice resigns. I really think if the pistons didn't explode he would have never signed here.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:51 PM
I think you want dice. However, the chances were high that he could stay. You cannot turn down rwallace and have bonner starting if dice resigns. I really think if the pistons didn't explode he would have never signed here.

You're probably right.

But then again, if the Pistons hadnt' imploded, then both Sheed and Dice are probably retained.

Samr
07-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Drob mia, come block w/ me, k?

timvp
07-10-2009, 11:57 PM
For mine, those quotes help to confirm that Dice was actually the target all along. What do you think, LJ?

I don't think we'll ever know. If I had to guess, Rasheed was the number one target just because Duncan is supposedly friends with him. But like most Spurs fans, I'm sure the front office saw Sheed and McDyess as far and away the best two options.

duncan228
07-10-2009, 11:57 PM
:lol Love the texts timvp and Samr.

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't think we'll ever know. If I had to guess, Rasheed was the number one target just because Duncan is supposedly friends with him. But like most Spurs fans, I'm sure the front office saw Sheed and McDyess as far and away the best two options.

Clearly Shawn Bradley was the first option, and whoever thinks otherwise is just plain crazy.

skinsfan1
07-11-2009, 12:02 AM
nice pick up. cant wait to see how him and duncan play together

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 12:04 AM
nice pick up. cant wait to see how him and duncan play together

Yep, they should work so well together, I can't even imagine it. Literally.

The last time I saw a big man this valuable next to Duncan, it was Robinson in 2003.

Interrohater
07-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Timmy: "Block party at my house, u comin?"
Dice: "who's goin?"
Timmy: "Everybody, 'cept Boner, he's scrimmaging against Dejuan lol"

ElNono
07-11-2009, 12:46 AM
OMG u have 2 come over b4 i kill RR

GTFO

srsly

LOLZ, k

draft87
07-11-2009, 01:12 AM
well done

Danny.Zhu
07-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Duncan's text message worked.

VivaPopovich
07-11-2009, 01:22 AM
once again, blessed with another great article-find from duncan228

it's going to be a good year :flag:

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2009, 01:31 AM
McDyess best bigman to play alongside Duncan since Robinson: True or false?

:smokin

Chieflion
07-11-2009, 01:34 AM

False. Obviously, the GOAT in shooting, Matt Bonner was the best bigman to play alongside Tim Duncan, regardless of whether David Robinson was playing or not. Matt Bonner would also have brought the Spurs to a 4 peat if not for Popovich's stubborness and wine drinking frequencies.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-11-2009, 01:41 AM

True. His consistency puts him a step ahead of Horry's National Guard efforts.

slick'81
07-11-2009, 01:42 AM
False. Obviously, the GOAT in shooting, Matt Bonner was the best bigman to play alongside Tim Duncan, regardless of whether David Robinson was playing or not. Matt Bonner would also have brought the Spurs to a 4 peat if not for Popovich's stubborness and wine drinking frequencies.

aaaaaaaaaaH THE GREAT BONNER ONLY SURPASSED BY THE GREAT RADoSLaV NESTEROVIC

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FvFXrtDSdZI/SEDjdFb0SdI/AAAAAAAAAe0/Z3BtzDZn3UE/s320/MattBonner.JPG

crc21209
07-11-2009, 01:50 AM
:lol. I seriously thought all the time last year...where else in the NBA, besides the Spurs, would Matt Bonner be starting...and I thought...NOWHERE! :lol I'm so glad we got Dyess. Because Bonner in the starting line-up just doesnt sound or look right at all.

slick'81
07-11-2009, 01:57 AM
:lol. I seriously thought all the time last year...where else in the NBA, besides the Spurs, would Matt Bonner be starting...and I thought...NOWHERE! :lol I'm so glad we got Dyess. Because Bonner in the starting line-up just doesnt sound or look right at all.

4 real it was painful at times.

But really after rasho,nazr,oberto,horry,thomas etc mcdyess probably has the most upside.Until he proves it however i have to give the nod to horry and he was never a starter

SA210
07-11-2009, 02:21 AM

That was Pop's doing.

polandprzem
07-11-2009, 02:24 AM
LOLZ, k

:lmao

coopdogg3
07-11-2009, 02:31 AM
A factor that may have led the Spurs to prefer Dice (we'll never know for sure of course) is how good of a mentor he will be.

Would Sheed be a good mentor for Ian and Blair? Maybe.

Would Sheed be willing to come off the bench next year if Splitter comes over and is as good as advertised? Maybe.

With Dice you get a "Yes" to both those questions. He is a consummate professional who should help raise the next group of big youngsters on the Spurs - that probably factored in.

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 02:34 AM
:king

Avitus1
07-11-2009, 02:46 AM
As much as I like Sheed I think that Dyess is a better fit.

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 02:47 AM
As much as I like Sheed I think that Dyess is a better fit.

Yep, Dice is a better fit in every way.

mudyez
07-11-2009, 03:58 AM
I'd pay money to read those text messages.

I think, its not pushing anyhting...just something like: "hey, its a good place to be and the right place if you want to win a ship"
...and...
"now Bruce is gone, i need a new ADnD pal, which is playing the Mage-Dwarf!"

m33p0
07-11-2009, 04:09 AM
still.... not.... a..... true..... center.....

mudyez
07-11-2009, 04:14 AM
still.... not.... a..... true..... center.....

name 5 true centers (starters) in the whole NBA!...(ok, it's possible but the only good true center right now is D12)...its not like we are in the Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinon, Zo era...its more of the Gasol, Sheed, Bogut, (Duncan) time

I'd like to get someone like Camby too. but with versatile bigs, we should be ok.

m33p0
07-11-2009, 04:28 AM
name 5 true centers (starters) in the whole NBA!...(ok, it's possible but the only good true center right now is D12)...its not like we are in the Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinon, Zo era...its more of the Gasol, Sheed, Bogut, (Duncan) time

I'd like to get someone like Camby too. but with versatile bigs, we should be ok.
spurs don't need an all-star center. just someone who can guard the paint and block some shots. someone who can be TD's tag team buddy underneath.

Slydragon
07-11-2009, 04:37 AM
I bet his txt goes like this,

Tim = hey dice

txt back = who?

Tim = McDyess?

Txt back = No sorry wrong person

Tim Txts Pop = That's not the right number

Pop = LOL

Tim = asshole : )

Pop = 732-****

Tim txts dice = McDyess?

Dice = yea

Tim = forwards all txts

Dice = huh

Tim = Pop played a joke on me ask me to txt and gave me the wrong # on purpose

Dice = Oh LOL

Tim = Just sign so they get off my back

Dice = what?

Tim = look we want championships here are u in?

Dice = yea

Tim txts pop = He said No

Pop = ????? why ????

Tim = he said you look mean

Pop = but I'm not, fuck that guy

Tim = Jk he's coming

Pop = Ass like I don't have enough white hair

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Nice one, Slydragon! :lmao

I miss your old avatar and sig though... :(

Spursmania
07-11-2009, 07:13 AM
All the text messages post!:lmao

mystargtr34
07-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Tim = hey dice

txt back = who?

Tim = McDyess?

Pop = LOL

Pop = 732-****

Tim txts dice = McDyess?

Dice = yea

Tim = forwards all txts

Dice = huh

Dice = Oh LOL

Dice = what?

Dice = yea

Pop = ????? why ????

Tim = Jk he's coming

:lol

urunobili
07-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I bet his txt goes like this
:lmao Sly FTW!!!

Dice fits like a glove that's why he was at least my number one option...

and for the Survey going on about the second best big since D-Rob... Robert Horry says hi...

wildbill2u
07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Isn't anyone concerned about McDyess' age? Sometimes the legs just give out without warning for athletes of a certain age.

lurker23
07-11-2009, 09:23 AM

Most highly touted or biggest name? Eh, it's in the running.

Most significant? Bruce Bowen.

ffadicted
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
McDyess started 30 games at center for the Pistons last season, and in those 30 games averaged 12.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and 1.17 blocks in 34.9 minutes per game.

:hungry:

Slydragon
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice one, Slydragon! :lmao

I miss your old avatar and sig though... :(

Which sig?

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Tim = hey dice

txt back = who?

Tim = McDyess?

Pop = LOL

Pop = 732-****

Tim txts dice = McDyess?

Dice = yea

Tim = forwards all txts

Dice = huh

Dice = Oh LOL

Dice = what?

Dice = yea

Pop = ????? why ????

Tim = Jk he's coming

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Ace9
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Nah guys seriously...a Tim Duncan and Antonio McDyess conversation! :lol More like...

Duncan: hey
Dice: hey
Duncan: coach pop and i were talking about the weather just now
Dice: cool beans, SA must have nice weather...
Duncan: yeaaaaah............

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow. I hope this writer doesn't actually believe he was their first target all along. I really hope he's just playing to the homers, because if that's true... that's absolutely awful evaluation. I also love how he's trying to criticize Boston for being desperate or something, when what they did worked 100%. Beautiful.

It's also getting very old how every time the Spurs sign an over-the-hill player, they talk about how they've been trying to get him for ages. If Kurt Thomas is any indication, then I can't like that at all.

Oh, and maybe if Rasheed Wallace was Damon Stoudemire, Popobitch would have been right on his doorstep at 12:01. This shit kills me.

I don't read where the writer was criticizing anyone. His point was that Celtics just took a different approach and put the full court press on Wallace. While the Spurs took a low key approach.

But the Celts must have really wanted Wallace, could they have been desperate or something? You don't normally see teams sending an entourage to try to sign a player. Not saying it's right or wrong because as you said it worked. Good for them.

Speaking of over-the-hill, people do realize that Dice is older then Wallace by a whopping 10 days? Wallace in his 16 yr career has played in all 82 regular season games exactly zilch, zero times. While Dice in his 14 yr career has played in 82 regular season games twice. Looks to me as if Dice MAY be more durable then Wallace. Who would have thunk?

Obviously you are one of the great basketball minds of our day, and evidently you know more then Pop and RC. Who would you have signed? Do tell so that whatever doesn't kill you? I'll hang up and listen.

Freaking amateurs. Two years ago some of you asswipes didn't know what a jock strap was for and now you're sitting here playing GM and coach.

anakha
07-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Wow. I hope this writer doesn't actually believe he was their first target all along. I really hope he's just playing to the homers, because if that's true... that's absolutely awful evaluation. I also love how he's trying to criticize Boston for being desperate or something, when what they did worked 100%. Beautiful.

It's also getting very old how every time the Spurs sign an over-the-hill player, they talk about how they've been trying to get him for ages. If Kurt Thomas is any indication, then I can't like that at all.

Oh, and maybe if Rasheed Wallace was Damon Stoudemire, Popobitch would have been right on his doorstep at 12:01. This shit kills me.

Tell us again why Rasheed would have been a better choice than McDyess because he spreads the floor, and why Blair is a better choice than McDyess because he doesn't spread the floor.