View Full Version : Roster Decisions

dbestpro
07-11-2009, 08:57 AM
McDeyess, Mahinmi, Bonner
Duncan, Haislip, Blair, Gist
Jefferson, Finley, Hairston
Mason, Ginobili, Williams
Parker, Hill, McClinton

One player to cut and three to Austin or in street clothes baring a trade. So, who goes where?

I do not think the Spurs will make a trade prior to the start of the season because they will want to see what Haislip, Blair and Mahinmi can do, and if Hill can truly handle the backup point. Failure at any level will result in more midseason changes. A hole will be left for an expiring contract to make room for Splitter in the following year, either by keeping Finley or Bonner for the whole season.

exstatic
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I do think they're going to make another trade with the expirings: Mase, Fin, Bonner. It may or may not be before the season starts, but I hope so. I'm not sure they keep all 15 roster spots if they don't do a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade. It's too expensive to keep kids in Austin on double cost luxury tax drag contracts. I doubt they keep more than 13 spots, maybe 14, so if there's no pre-season trade, some of these kids will be cut loose.

mazerrackham
07-11-2009, 09:42 AM
they can keep 15 on contract though only 12 active, so i hope its williams that gets cut.

exstatic
07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
they can keep 15 on contract though only 12 active, so i hope its williams that gets cut.

The can keep 15. I think the only question is will they? In luxury tax territory, those 2 or 3 players at $700-800K suddenly cost $1.4-1.6M, each.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure they're going to cut corners this time around. Plus some of these guys they can sign for $500k.

exstatic
07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure they're going to cut corners this time around. Plus some of these guys they can sign for $500k.

That would bode better for Gist, Blair, and McClinton, but not so well for Williams and Hairston, since the min jumps from $457K for rookies to $736K for players with one year of experience. That ups your actual cost from $914K to $1.47M just for the two of them having been signed to NBA contracts last year. Actually, Marcus is more than that because he finished the 2007-2008 season on the Clippers roster, and last year on ours. He's a 3rd year player and would cost $825K, doubled to $1.65M. He'd better be damn good in training camp.

fyatuk
07-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I do think they're going to make another trade with the expirings: Mase, Fin, Bonner. It may or may not be before the season starts, but I hope so. I'm not sure they keep all 15 roster spots if they don't do a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade. It's too expensive to keep kids in Austin on double cost luxury tax drag contracts. I doubt they keep more than 13 spots, maybe 14, so if there's no pre-season trade, some of these kids will be cut loose.

Even without the tax, the Spurs typically only keep 14 coming out of camp. They use spot 15 to try out guys after 10-days become available.

I think they do the same thing and keep 14, with the 14th spot being someone they can and will sent to Austin like McClinton.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Williams will be traded by August.

They'll carry 15 and one or two will end up in Austin.

SenorSpur
07-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Why do you think Williams will be the odd man out?

exstatic
07-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Even without the tax, the Spurs typically only keep 14 coming out of camp. They use spot 15 to try out guys after 10-days become available.

I think that's been true in the past, but with all of our current young projects, they may keep the full 15 with 2 in Austin if they can maybe swing a deal and dump a couple mil in salary. I don't think the Spurs need to be picking through other team's trash heaps any more. :lol

bigfan
07-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Agree Williams and Hairston will probably not make the cut.

Steve-O-Matic
07-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Marcus Williams is not going to be traded. Nobody wants him and his contract is non-guaranteed anyway.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, no team could possibly want a contract which is not fully guaranteed.

fyatuk
07-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Marcus Williams is not going to be traded. Nobody wants him and his contract is non-guaranteed anyway.

That might be why someone wants him. But it means the Spurs would be accepting guaranteed money back in return, which is unlikely unless it's someone to contribute. That'd mean Williams + expiring for someone with multi-years (probably just 2) the Spurs feel could contribute.

BackHome
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, probably Williams and Hariston will be gone and McClinton will spend some time in the Toros. I still think that Bonner might be traded so it just depends.

coyotes_geek
07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
People need to keep in mind the possibility of the Spurs asking Gist to spend one more year overseas. Roster spots are limited and Gist is a guy who the Spurs can leave off the team and still control rights to.

CGD
07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
The signing of Haislip makes Gist awfully redundant. I wouldn't be surprised if Gist is on another roster at the start of the season.

TimDunkem
07-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Not if The Gist can play the 3 like be says he can.

loveforthegame
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Parker, Hill, McClinton

What an upgrade over last seasons roster. Even knowing a player or two might be cut. Or possibly a small trade to clear away some clutter.

coyotes_geek
07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Not if The Gist can play the 3 like be says he can.

It might not matter. He's a 3/4 and the team is stocked with 4's. Hairston and Williams might have an advantage because they're 2/3 guys and the Spurs aren't nearly as loaded with 2's as they are with 4's.

galvatron3000
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Williams and Haislip, depending on play will probably be out. Lookbfor the Spurs to bring in a Center and possibly some wing help before the trade deadline. Austin will see the likes of some of the other guys like Gist and McClinton, perhaps anyway. I expect a trade before Feb. ends.

Finley is the 2009-2010 version of the 2002-2003 Steve Smith, he'll most likely stay unless they can trade for a vet wing that's a bit younger and atheletic, though I suspect they'll look for a defender and still shop for a big. Bonner, Mason and ? will be used for trade

coyotes_geek
07-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Williams and Haislip, depending on play will probably be out. Lookbfor the Spurs to bring in a Center and possibly some wing help before the trade deadline. Austin will see the likes of some of the other guys like Gist and McClinton, perhaps anyway. I expect a trade before Feb. ends.

Haislip didn't pass up better money in europe to come here for just a training camp invite. He's going to be on the roster.

dbestpro
07-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Haislip is here to stay. Williams and Hairston are most likely not to be on the roster. Gist will either be in Europe or Austin. Bonner or Finley will eventually be traded, but one will be on the roster for the entire year. If Haislip can prove that his outside shot is as decent as Bonner, then Bonner is a goner.
Williams first cut/ Hairston second cut/ Gist third cut.
Williams first to trade/Bonner or Finley 2nd to trade/ Mason 3rd to Trade

coyotes_geek
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Another possibility here is that the Spurs pick up a vet PG, bring Bowen back and don't put anyone out of the Hairston/McClinton/Gist/Williams quartet on the team.

ulosturedge
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Nobody wanted Haislip. This is San Antonio's experiment to see if he has anything left. I don't see them moving Haislip.

Williams, Hairston, Gist, McClinton are all on the bubble. The odd man out would have to play well enough to warrant trading off the likes of Finley, Bonner, or Mase.

I dunno they seriously have their work cut out for them.

galvatron3000
07-11-2009, 12:18 PM
well play will determine who stays, who goes and who gets shopped.

Blair stays
McClinton stays in some compacity (Austin)
Gist or Haislip ( summer should be very revealing)
Bonner will be shopped
Mason will be shopped
Finley "maybe" shopped
Williams cut or traded
Hairston, wait to review summer league play

Spurs will keep 3 pg's so McClinton will probably make the cut
Spurs need a center, I don't see Dyess spelling that nor Bonner this year so I expect them to shop around for one, possibly Camby depended on the numbers and tradeable assets

mookie2001
07-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Parker, Hill, McClinton

ROFL :lmao

galvatron3000
07-11-2009, 12:21 PM
:rolleyes
ROFL :lmao

coyotes_geek
07-11-2009, 12:21 PM
The Spurs will shop guys, but that's no guarantee they'll get moved. McClinton isn't a PG, so if the Spurs want to carry a 3rd it's going to be at someone else's expense. Maybe the Spurs try to get Gist and McClinton on the same team in europe.

galvatron3000
07-11-2009, 12:24 PM
where's the Spurs' summer league schedule?

ulosturedge
07-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Spurs need a center, I don't see Dyess spelling that nor Bonner this year so I expect them to shop around for one, possibly Camby depended on the numbers and tradeable assets

They wouldn't go after a center until they see what they have in Mahinmi or until they know how their big man rotation is working out.

galvatron3000
07-11-2009, 12:27 PM
They wouldn't go after a center until they see what they have in Mahinmi or until they know how their big man rotation is working out.

Yea but regardless how he looks they need a 3rd stringer or replacemen 2nd because all these under sized pf won't cut it if injuries stack up again. I expect them to get another center if for nothing else but insurance. Tim and Ian ain't enough to me and they are the only ones I feel are capable of playing the middle, not McDyess. That's just what I think they may roll the dice with these guys

duncan228
07-11-2009, 12:37 PM
where's the Spurs' summer league schedule?

2009 Summer League Schedule

Date Opponent Location Tipoff (all times CDT)

July 12 New Orleans COX Pavilion 3 p.m.
July 14 Denver COX Pavilion 9 p.m.
July 16 Oklahoma City Thomas & Mack 7:30 p.m.
July 18 Portland Thomas & Mack 9:30 p.m.
July 19 Memphis COX Pavilion 7 p.m.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090701_summerleague.html

Spurs Brazil
07-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I think the Spurs will wait to see how Hill will play at PG in Summer League. If he doesn't play well I see the Spurs go after a vet PG.

If Hill does well Jack, Hairston, Gist and Williams will fight for 3 spots

galvatron3000
07-11-2009, 01:02 PM
2009 Summer League Schedule

Date Opponent Location Tipoff (all times CDT)

July 12 New Orleans COX Pavilion 3 p.m.
July 14 Denver COX Pavilion 9 p.m.
July 16 Oklahoma City Thomas & Mack 7:30 p.m.
July 18 Portland Thomas & Mack 9:30 p.m.
July 19 Memphis COX Pavilion 7 p.m.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090701_summerleague.html

Thanks!!

urunobili
07-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Money right there... :tu