PDA

View Full Version : Robinson VS Elite Teams

whottt
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
This is what he did against the Spurs, Sonics(Ray Allen), Mavs, Pistons, Grizz, Nuggets, and Lakers last season:

By Opponent G MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
vs. Detroit 1 27.0 5.0-12.0 .417 0.0-0.0 .000 1.0-1.0 1.000 0.00 0.00 3.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 11.0
vs. Denver 2 27.0 4.5-13.5 .333 0.0-1.0 .000 0.5-1.0 .500 0.50 0.00 3.0 2.5 1.0 1.0 2.0 1.0 9.5
vs. LA Lakers 2 34.0 7.5-14.0 .536 0.5-1.5 .333 7.0-8.5 .824 1.50 1.00 2.0 1.0 1.5 4.0 5.5 1.5 22.5
vs. San Antonio 1 33.0 7.0-15.0 .467 0.0-1.0 .000 2.0-2.0 1.000 4.00 0.00 6.0 4.0 0.0 5.0 5.0 0.0 16.0
vs. Seattle 2 30.5 11.5-20.0 .575 0.5-3.5 .143 3.0-3.0 1.000 0.00 0.00 2.0 4.0 1.5 3.5 5.0 0.5 26.5
vs. Memphis 1 39.0 9.0-16.0 .563 1.0-1.0 1.000 1.0-1.0 1.000 1.00 0.00 2.0 2.0 1.0 6.0 7.0 1.0 20.0
vs. Dallas 1 43.0 14.0-20.0 .700 2.0-4.0 .500 4.0-5.0 .800 0.00 0.00 4.0 1.0 1.0 6.0 7.0 0.0 34.0

And he sucked last year....if you go back further his numbers get more and more impressive..especially against us.

How anyone can seriously debate(based on talent) if we should keep this guy or Glover, is beyond me...only in San Antonio .

There also shouldn't be much of a debate on this guy VS Nazr and Marks...as far as who can help Duncan carrry the scoring load the most.

Manu20
04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
As long as his mid range jumper is flowing he will be fine.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Word. . .Whott. Nice research. . .again.

BronxCowboy
04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Let's just hope that he's never on the floor at the same time as Barry for defensive reasons.

SuBZer0
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Haha - when I first saw this thread I thought that Whottt had made yet another thread about David Robinson.

lol

Cant_Be_Faded
04-05-2005, 09:35 PM
LOL wotttt you love glenn robinson don't you?

MI21
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Whottt.

Hopefully the Big Dog can bite like that for the Spurs.

ducks
04-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Big Dog>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>barry

Solid D
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
http://clickoncuernavaca.com/Graphics/OPENER.JPG

Glenn Robinson (pictured above) playing against the Bulls last season.

whottt
04-06-2005, 04:27 AM
LOL wotttt you love glenn robinson don't you?

Not really...if not for our current situation; the Malik trade, injuries, I probably wouldn't want Robinson signed, even if he did have a good character...much less his true track record...

But hey...it's about titles now and that Nazr trade weakened this team and possibly cost us HCA...some things need fixing...

And I think Glenn Robinson can fix them if he gets on the court...

This guy was still a good scorer last season...he is an A list scorer and I don't think age or being in "mediocre" shape is going to effect that shot...that shot is natural...

I don't care how unhappy this guy was, how drunk he was, how injured he was...that shot never left him...he'll still have that shot when is 40 years old...

I know the shot is still there, regardless of what kind of shape he is in...

The only question marks are about his attitude and if Pop will play him...

Listening to the Pop show today...Pop is on the same page as I am about Robinson, and has realistic expectations...and that's a good thing.

This was a good signing...honestly, there is no comparison between this guy and Dion Glover...or Marks or Nazr...

And Nazr's defense sucksa anyway.

If Robinson gets on the court he WILL help this team.....

timvp
04-06-2005, 04:48 AM
All I know is GRob always played well against the Spurs and has pretty much owned Bowen in his career.

LOL @ Solid D

The sad truth is though, that Nazr isn't a much better defender than GRob.

sickdsm
04-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Seattle, Dallas and LA didn't have much in terms of defensive SF's last year. Hell, Seattle wasn't that good except for a fast start last year. Only Memphis, SA, and Detroit had top notch defenders at the SF position. And if you look at points scored/shots taken, only the Memphis game was a really good one.

But that's all meaningless without knowing who was playing, injured, substituted, etc...

whottt
04-06-2005, 08:37 AM
He had a good game against us last year...he beat us...and we were only the best defensive team in history last year with the best perimeter defender in the NBA playing SF for us...it was either Bowen or Hedo guarding him, both played excellent D last season...he still scored well against us and that was with no AI.....especially since I know for certain the Spurs game planned to stop him....

As for the Mavs and Seattle....it's not like they have Bruce Bowen playing SF for them now either...

LA? Devean is a pretty good defender...

Robinson can score on D, it's easily proven, because the Spurs in the Pop era have been one of the best defensive teams every year, and they have had stalwart defender named Elliott or Bowen that entire time, and Robinson has owned us as badly as anyone not named Kobe.

sickdsm
04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
That's my point whott. Simply bc a team is good doens't mean they defend. The only stats that stand out is memphis bc Posey is a DAMN good defender and they play as a team. Dev still was the weakest link defensively of that team. Malone played in neither of those games and bryant only in one.

16 points on 15 shots gets you props nowdays? If his name was bryant he'd be rediculed.

whottt
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
If his name was Bryant he wouldn't be sitting around waiting for a team to sign him.

Brodels
04-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm more concerned with his conditioning and how he'll fit in. At this late point in the season, it makes me nervous to hear that he's only in fair shape. There isn't a lot of time to get into shape, and he probably isn't going to get a lot of game minutes to help him. He needs to make an impression now. He needs to start getting accustomed to what the Spurs do. He needs court time to do those things, but it sounds like he isn't in game shape. How long is it going to take? Can he possiblity play some quality minutes before the playoffs?

I, like some others, worry about his influence on the team. It's known that he's not a 'character' guy. It's known that he's been in legal trouble. It's known that ball movement stops when he touches the ball. It's known that he doesn't like to play defense.

I know that Pop finds it appropriate to pursue some of these kinds of players now. And I'm not necessarily against that in certain situations. But the negatives (no defense, out of game shape, little slashing ability, legal trouble, unwillingness to play team ball on the offensive end) are numerous. He brings one positive to the table: his ability to shoot. And with all of the other stuff working against him, I just can't imagine that he'll make much of an impact.

I think the Spurs should have stuck with Glover. He knows the system better than Glenn and he's in game shapte

whottt
04-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Glover sucked...I don't know what anyone saw in his game...I'll go on record right now as saying Robinson won't be any worse even if he has to play on crutches with an oxygen tank on his back.

And unlike Glover...whose only experience is losing...Robinson has played in big games before...

39% career 3 point shooter in the playoffs...I know that makes him a choker by your standards but it's pretty damn good by anyone elses.

As for his attitude...this guy was a coveted player and star up until about 4 years ago...when he started getting in trouble for alcohol and being labeled a bad lockerrom guy...on teams with bad lockerroom guys...

Cancer in Milwaukee? How come he wasn't a cancer the first 5 years he was there? It's not like Cassel and Allen are well loved...they've been traded too.

I don't think this guys attitude is as bad as it is portrayed...and I don't expect him to be a big minutes guy regardless of his shape...I expect him to come in and get 6-7 points when we need them...something he has proven he can do...if he can't do it anymore asta la vista...Glover is still a total career scrub though, with no discernable talent other than mediocre hustling ability, and can't even hold a job in the Turkish leagues....

Brodels
04-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Glover sucked...I don't know what anyone saw in his game...I'll go on record right now as saying Robinson won't be any worse even if he has to play on crutches with an oxygen tank on his back.

Glover has two key advantages: he's in game shape and he knows the system better because he's been around for a longer period of time. If this move would have been made four weeks ago, it might have made sense. But Glenn isn't in game shape. He doesn't know the offense or the defense. And there is so little time left in the regular season. How is he going to get into game shape? He better be working really, really hard and Pop better plan on giving him some serious minutes or he's not going to make the playoff roster anyway.

I'll go on the record right now as saying that Glenn won't make the playoff roster.

And unlike Glover...whose only experience is losing...Robinson has played in big games before...

He's played in big games, but he hasn't played in any game for an entire year. That's a long time for a thirty-something player with limited mobility to sit. And when you consider that he's not in game shape, his big game experience really doesn't help much here.

39% career 3 point shooter in the playoffs...I know that makes him a choker by your standards but it's pretty damn good by anyone elses.

Lol...His three point shooting is fine in the playoffs. I wish you would at least read my arguments. Barry is a choker in the playoffs because he did so many things well during past regular seasons and did every single one of them except for shooting three pointers at a lower level in the playoffs. It's fine that Glenn can shoot the ball, but if he's not in game shape and can't defend, it's not going to matter.

As for his attitude...this guy was a coveted player and star up until about 4 years ago...when he started getting in trouble for alcohol and being labeled a bad lockerrom guy...on teams with bad lockerroom guys...

He's always been known as a malcontent, even in his early years. But it's not that much of a concern to me. Many NBA players aren't saints. I'm more worried about how he'll fit in. He's not going to have much of an opportunity to carve out a niche in the locker room. It's curious to me that the team is making these changes so late in the season.

Cancer in Milwaukee? How come he wasn't a cancer the first 5 years he was there? It's not like Cassel and Allen are well loved...they've been traded too.

Again, it doesn't matter to me as much as the other things do, but he's a malcontent. You can spin it any way you want to. Glenn has a history of being in trouble with the law, not wanting to give up the ball for the good of the team, and not caring enough about winning to try very hard on defense. Those are facts. And everyone knows that Glenn has that history. Will it matter in this situation? Maybe not. But you can cover for Glenn all you want to. If you look at his past, he's had problems.

I don't think this guys attitude is as bad as it is portrayed...and I don't expect him to be a big minutes guy regardless of his shape...I expect him to come in and get 6-7 points when we need them...something he has proven he can do...if he can't do it anymore asta la vista...Glover is still a total career scrub though, with no discernable talent other than mediocre hustling ability, and can't even hold a job in the Turkish leagues....

I don't know that he's a terrible guy, either. All I can go by is what he's said and what others have said about him. What are you going by?

Glover is a scrub. He sucks. But given a choice between the two, I'll take the team guy who is in shape and knows the system better.

ducks
04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
manu can not play more then 30 minutes and he has been with the spurs for 2 years
thinking big dog can play more then 10 minutes is silly

BigVee
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Well we know if TD is playing Robinson would get some open shots. Whether he is in shape, an asshole, who knows. I for one am not going to hold out hope that he will have much of an impact either way.

sa_butta
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Let's just hope that he's never on the floor at the same time as Barry for defensive reasons.
maybe we can just double team whoever he is guarding.:lol

whottt
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Glover has two key advantages: he's in game shape and he knows the system better because he's been around for a longer period of time. If this move would have been made four weeks ago, it might have made sense. But Glenn isn't in game shape. He doesn't know the offense or the defense. And there is so little time left in the regular season. How is he going to get into game shape? He better be working really, really hard and Pop better plan on giving him some serious minutes or he's not going to make the playoff roster anyway.

I don't expect him to be be logging 20 minutes a game...and it's not like this guy was ever in shape to begin with.

And there is no equating this guy with Glover...this guy has played on highly disciplined teams before, under demanding coaches...he's not a scrub that just had a cup of coffee in the NBA. This guy knows how to play basketball...he's not some guy that spent his entire career scrapping to stay in the NBA...

If you could roll the clock back on this guy and see what his entire career would be...he'd be the #1 pick in this draft.

I'll go on the record right now as saying that Glenn won't make the playoff roster.

And I'll go on record right now as saying you might be right...

But if the Spurs are true to themselves in saying they just want a guy that can score...he will make the playoff roster.

He's played in big games, but he hasn't played in any game for an entire year. That's a long time for a thirty-something player with limited mobility to sit. And when you consider that he's not in game shape, his big game experience really doesn't help much here.

Again...I don't know that I'd ever say he was in game shape to begin with...there's a reason he's never been able to play D.

Lol...His three point shooting is fine in the playoffs. I wish you would at least read my arguments. Barry is a choker in the playoffs because he did so many things well during past regular seasons and did every single one of them except for shooting three pointers at a lower level in the playoffs.

I know your argument on Barry and I was just messing with you...I wish you would acknowledge my point that the two teams he has faced in the playoffs, the Jazz and Us, are notorious for shutting down all interior activity and being tough ass defensive teams period.....I don't think there was anything he could do except shoot threes...you want him taking it past Bowen into Duncan? You want him trying to penetrate into the Jazz patented "5 men in the paint" playoff d?

It's fine that Glenn can shoot the ball, but if he's not in game shape and can't defend, it's not going to matter.

If he can shoot the ball it will matter...

If this guy can still shoot like he always could...this guy is better from 15 out than Tim Duncan...which makes him better from that range than anyone else on our team except maybe Barry...

We've never had the kind of dimension on our teams with Duncan and Robinson that this guy could potentially give us...

This guy strikes ultimate fear into defenses if that shot is going...just like Barry will...this guy makes it easier on Duncan, Parker and Manu...

Parker and Manu are not comfortable sitting out there stroking 15 footers...this guy lives and breathes it..it's his whole game.

He's always been known as a malcontent, even in his early years. But it's not that much of a concern to me. Many NBA players aren't saints. I'm more worried about how he'll fit in. He's not going to have much of an opportunity to carve out a niche in the locker room. It's curious to me that the team is making these changes so late in the season.

They make the change because Devin is out....I don't really remember many stories of him being a malcontent...I could be wrong though.

The dude is an uncharismatic player who played in an uncharismatic town for an uncharismatic team...but there is nothing uncharismatic about that midrange J...you've seen it. He's just not a flashy guy, he's just not an endearing guy...

But if he was such a malcontent then how come he didn't get traded long before 02?

He got traded when the Bucks broke up that team, traded Allen and Cassell and fired Karl...

Again, it doesn't matter to me as much as the other things do, but he's a malcontent. You can spin it any way you want to. Glenn has a history of being in trouble with the law,

Recent trouble...alcohol related...he's only been Rasheed Wallace for 4 years IMO...not for his entire career.

not wanting to give up the ball for the good of the team, and not caring enough about winning to try very hard on defense.

#1...We need a guy not afriad to shoot and that knows how to shoot it...we need him to be a ballhog when he is on the court...

I still don't agree with the ballhog thing...who was calling him a ballhog? AI? Cassel and Allen? Those Bucks teams were good passing teams...this guys scoring was why they go so many assists...

This guy was Tim Duncan on his teams....he's averaged @ 3 assists for his career...on teams that were passing oriented teams...he was the go to interior presence on his teams....is Tim Duncan a ballhog?

As for D....He's just not good at defense and he's not going to be here either.....nontheless he's played on teams that whipped our butts...nearly made it to the finals....and he's been one of the main reasons why...he's not some scrub that's barely hung on in the NBA.

This guys shooting made him a #1 pick and it would do so again...

I don't know that he's a terrible guy, either. All I can go by is what he's said and what others have said about him. What are you going by?

I am going by the fact that the guys responsible for his label as a malcontent haven't lasted as long with one team as he has....except for AI...who is also known to be a bit of a malcontent...and damn sure doesn't have any right to call anyone else a ballhog since he is statistically proven to be the greatest ballhog in NBA history....

Useruser666
04-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Brodels, how much longer has Glover been with the team than Robinson? Like one 10 day contract?

sickdsm
04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
What are you smoking? You'd still take Glenn over Grant Hill and Jason Kidd?

Glenn was quoted earlier this year as saying. "I don't know why they brought me in here, they knew i didn't play defense"

He rotted on the bench bc of his own stubborness.

The trade with Nazr surprised me bc the one thing the spurs didn't do was mess with the chemistry, sure, it looked good on paper but it was still surprising. Now you bring in a VERY questionable guy to complement the trade you made earlier in the year? Why? It was totally unneccasary.

Does anyone actually think Glenn is a difference maker in any series? Does he help capture the number one seed?

Those are the only two things that matter and the answer is no to both.

whottt
04-06-2005, 10:46 AM

No...I'm saying I'd take him over Bogut...because 20PPG like he got it doesn't come very easy or around very often...

Glenn was quoted earlier this year as saying. "I don't know why they brought me in here, they knew i didn't play defense"

Well they did didn't they? Hopefully the Spurs know it too...It's stupid to trade for a guy like Robinson and then bitch about his D...he sucks at D...

Besides...should I read off some quotes by AI and Webber that the Philly Media has been gracious enough to provide us with? They'll make this seem like a love-in.

Does anyone actually think Glenn is a difference maker in any series? Does he help capture the number one seed?

If he can get on the court to shoot he can...

You know he didn't play D during the 5 or 6 year winning streak he had against us either....he didn't play it last year when he beat us...

Those are the only two things that matter and the answer is no to both.

You are the guy likes Olowokandi and Anthony Carter...I warned you they would suck the life out of your team with their loserness...how about you listen to me for a change grasshopper....We are talking a deep bench reserve that has one of the best midrange J's of this era...

sickdsm
04-06-2005, 10:50 AM
LOL, if anyother team did this move you'd be knocking it and you know it.

Remember, you don't have to lie to kick it.

That's crap to say why you get an established vet is bc he's better than any rookie this year. I guarantee you there will be better guys in this draft. Most of the guys making the MLE are more valuble than a 1st rounder there first year.

Mr. Body
04-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Robinson isn't here to "capture the number one seed". Nothing is going to get that for us, unless the entire Phoenix Suns team is kidnapped. We lost home court advantage when Duncan sprained his ankle. Simple as that.

The Nazr Mohammed trade was a good trade and will pay off down the road. Malik never was the difference maker. Not this year, at least, not for two years now. The Mohammed trade in no way cost us home court advantage. Duncan spraining his ankle cost us home court advantage.

Those of you sobbing about how this affects team chemistry, you do realize that these guys don't all bunk together in the same dorm room, don't you? That they don't all get manis and pedis together and talk and giggle every night in a slumber party? That these guys are professionals and their duty is to win and play. Haven't you considered that team chemistry is so strong that the team could afford to trade Rose and could add a player like Glenn Robinson, a guy who doesn't have a reputation for being insane, like Rodman, just a bit selfish? If they could deal with Mercer and a thousand different guys in previous years, why can't they deal with him now, even if he wasn't on his best behavior, which he will be?

All this mewling is quite sad. Don't you realize that each of these players has played with maybe a thousand different players in the days? From Y leagues to Euroleagues to college to pick-up games? Don't you realize they are men, not emotionally traumatized posters on an NBA forum?

Glenn Robinson is going to be fine. Chemistry is going to be fine, they had chemistry to spare. If Duncan is back, then bring on the championship. Meanwhile, let this guy try to help win some games to reach that regular season magic number to get that #2 seed without killing Manu in the process.

Solid D
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Very strong post, Mr. Body. If Robinson doesn't work out, his fate shall that be that of Dion Glover.

zeleni
04-06-2005, 11:54 AM
From Y leagues to Euroleagues to college to pick-up games?

I do not like where you put euroleague... Is far more quality league then NCAA. Not to talk about others. :makemyday

Otherways: Great rational thinking! :king

Mr. Body
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I do not like where you put euroleague... Is far more quality league then NCAA. Not to talk about others.

Sorry - I didn't mean it in any particular order. Euroleague is obviously at a very high level.

Extra Stout
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM
The Spurs got Glenn Robinson because they decided Devin Brown wasn't going to be healthy enough to go on the playoff roster.

So as far as GRob being some huge difference maker, keep in mind the preceding sentence. Devin > GRob.

DAN01
04-06-2005, 02:28 PM
i think its a good pick up for the spurs.he can put up pts and who cares if he can't play D that good. Spurs are a team D so they can help Robinson with his man..just watch and wait:-)

violentkitten
04-06-2005, 02:42 PM
just when there werent enough glenn robinson threads

King
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
we signed glenn robinson?

kolko
04-06-2005, 03:00 PM
we signed glenn robinson?
:lol

sickdsm
04-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Re: Robinson VS Elite Teams

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickdsm

No...I'm saying I'd take him over Bogut...because 20PPG like he got it doesn't come very easy or around very often...

Quote:

Well they did didn't they? Hopefully the Spurs know it too...It's stupid to trade for a guy like Robinson and then bitch about his D...he sucks at D...

You do realize that the Sixers thought the same thing, right? The only reason they brought him in was to provide scoring next to AI. They thought the rest of the team could make up for his lack of D but couldn't.

Spurminator
04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
You do realize that the Sixers thought the same thing, right? The only reason they brought him in was to provide scoring next to AI. They thought the rest of the team could make up for his lack of D but couldn't.

They brought him in to be a heavy-minutes second scoring option, not as a minimum salary placeholder to a former NBDL player who will have his job when he comes back.

samikeyp
04-06-2005, 04:00 PM
good to see you again, VK. Where ya been?

td4mvp3
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
when's he supposed to start?

whottt
04-06-2005, 06:59 PM
LOL, if anyother team did this move you'd be knocking it and you know it.

Remember, you don't have to lie to kick it.

Depends on the team...if Detroit did it I wouldn't be knocking it, ..if Dallas or Minny did it I probably would knock it because it would be a silly move for those teams...I knocked the heck out of the Spurs for the Nazr trade and continue to do so...it's not like I like any move the Spurs make.

That's crap to say why you get an established vet is bc he's better than any rookie this year. I guarantee you there will be better guys in this draft. Most of the guys making the MLE are more valuble than a 1st rounder there first year.

I am saying if 22 year old Glenn Robinson was available in this years draft and you could forsee the career he would have...he'd go number 1 in this years draft...

T Park
04-06-2005, 11:22 PM
When Devin Brown comes back, how the fuck do you give him back his minutes.

1. his back is fucked, simple as that, hes not gonna be right till next year.

2. Glenn Robinson is 50 times the shooter and player that Devin freakin Brown is.

Give him his minutes to get into shape, and then start handing off the rock.

This guy is a freakin all star, and people are actually saying this is a BAD move?

I hope he gets more shots tommarow to make up for Manu not being there.