PDA

View Full Version : Hip hop hedz, heard of Hilltop Hoods?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2009, 03:55 AM
I was wondering if you American hip hop heads have heard of Hilltop Hoods?

I remember seeing them with 50 people in a deserted nightclub back in 2000 and they rocked it fuckin hard, regardless of the turnout. Today, they're an Aussie Hiphop phenomon.

Here's their first big hit, and a couple of others:

bSFT2OKcdk0

uq8PyyMbrYQ

99LqZ66-jZo

They are much better live than on a computer, too. :D

mookie2001
07-12-2009, 07:54 AM
yeah ive heard them
hilltop hoods are better than most of the current american rap out now

i would listen to them

but theyve been out for like 15 years so im sure they suck now

its funny austrailian and british rappers always think that being a "hood" has to do with wearing a hooded sweatshirt, it never fails, foreign people are stupid

mookie2001
07-12-2009, 07:54 AM
i first heard of them when they had their own shoe a few years a ago

Spur-Addict
07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
"The Raw-Est Performa's, from the verse to the chorus, hot like a walrus, run like a tortoise"

:lmao

InRareForm
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I heard about them because they linked up with Cunninlynguists on this track.

Cunninlynguists are huge in Europe

IV4pxdTqxeQ

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-16-2009, 03:30 AM
yeah ive heard them
hilltop hoods are better than most of the current american rap out now

i would listen to them

but theyve been out for like 15 years so im sure they suck now

its funny austrailian and british rappers always think that being a "hood" has to do with wearing a hooded sweatshirt, it never fails, foreign people are stupid

Nah, man, I think you misunderstand. I can't speak for the British scene, but the Aussie hip hop scene today, whilst paying due respect to its American roots, has morphed into a uniquely Australian 'brand' of hip hop, and most of its references are now Australian (I admit that a decade ago Aussie rappers were mostly trying to imitate and draw on the ideas of the American scene).

Of course those who think about it know that 'hood' usually refers to either neighbourhood or petty criminal (depending on context) in American parlance, but the thing here is that the whole scene are hoodie wearers! No shit, it's like a subcultural uniform. Skaters, surfers and hip hop heads would buy 90% of the hoodies in Australia, and the other 10% is people like me who don't associate with any scene specifically and buy them because they are warm, comfortable and multi-functional.

Hip hop culture takes on a new flavour with every culture that appropriates it.