PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Spurs Summer League Preview - SpursTalk Edition

timvp
07-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Thus far, the offseason has been quite kind to the San Antonio Spurs. After trading for Richard Jefferson, acquiring a trio of interesting prospects in the NBA draft and coming to terms with free agent Antonio McDyess, the summer couldn't have gotten off to a much better start.

Today, the Spurs begin their summer league play in Las Vegas. On paper, this is undoubtedly the best summer league squad in team history. Six players have a very legitimate chance to make the regular season roster, with at least two of those six players likely to fill a spot in the nightly rotation.

How the rest of San Antonio's summer plays out from a personnel standpoint will largely depend on what these young players show in the next week of games.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
Last year in summer league, George Hill didn't exactly start his Spurs career in style. In 31.1 minutes per game, he averaged 10.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.9 steals. He shot 27.3% from the field, 20% from three-point range and 72.9% at the line. His play at point guard has hesitant at best, discombobulated at worst.

Thankfully, Hill bounced back to have a solid rookie season for the Spurs. Although he lost his backup point guard job down the stretch run of the season, he had already illustrated enough potential to make him an intriguing member of the team going forward.

This time around in summer league, Hill should have one objective -- prove he will be able to handle the backup point guard duties. If he struggles again, the Spurs may look elsewhere for a backup to Tony Parker.

To prove he's the man for the job, Hill will need to be much more aggressive on the offensive end. He's proven to be a good ballhandler and a decent enough passer, but his passive play limited his playmaking ability in his rookie season. Particularly in the pick-and-roll, Hill needs to attack and make things happen -- whether for himself or others.

Outside shooting is another area Hill has room for improvement. If he can add a reliable three-point stroke to his repertoire, that would go a long ways toward earning him playing time.

Defensively, Hill has already shown he belongs in the NBA. His length allows him to defend both point guards and shooting guards adequately. However, in summer league, Hill needs to prove that he can play hard on both ends of the court without missing a beat.

Hill faces a tall order over the next week but now is his time to claim a spot in the regular rotation.

DeJuan Blair
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/06/small_BLAIR.jpg
In the 2009 NBA Draft, Blair was projected to be a first round pick. However, with teams scared off by the lack of ACLs in his knees, Blair plummeted to the Spurs in the second round. Since then, pundits have graded San Antonio's selection of the burly forward out of Pittsburgh as the steal of the draft.

Now is the time for Blair to start proving his doubters wrong. Not only does he need to show the world that his knees are functional, he needs to show that he can continue to do his work in the lane despite being only 6-foot-6 1/2 and not possessing elite athleticism.

His production on the college level was nothing short of stunning. In 27.3 minutes per game, Blair averaged 15.7 points and 12.3 rebounds per game -- with 5.6 of his rebounds being of the offensive variety. He connected on 59.3% of his shots from the field and added 1.0 block and 1.5 steals per contest.

In this year's summer league, the statistic to keep an eye on is his rebounding. If he can rebound at a rate higher than 12 boards per 40 minutes of action, that would be a good sign that he should be able to help out San Antonio right away. Defensively, Blair needs to prove that he can keep bigger players from scoring on him without picking up fouls in bunches. His offensive production isn't of major importance, although showing an ability to score against taller and more athletic players would help his stock.

Health-wise, let's hope that Blair can begin his Spurs career without any worries about about his knees.

Ian Mahinmi
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3954.jpg
There isn't another player on San Antonio's roster that has more riding on this summer league than Ian Mahinmi. Even though he's still just 22 years old, Mahinmi needs a good showing to give himself a chance to remain in the team's long-term plans.

Last year in summer league, Mahinmi was decent but didn't display much of the exciting potential the coaching staff was hoping to see. In 28.2 minutes per game, Mahinmi averaged 13.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 0.3 blocked shots and 2.8 turnovers per game. He shot 45.5% from the field and 87% from the line.

After summer league last year, Mahinmi got injured and missed the entire regular season. Healthy once again, Mahinmi first of all needs to play with much more passion and fire than he did a year ago. Oftentimes Mahinmi appeared like he was simply going through the motions. This time around, he definitely cannot afford that type of nonchalance.

Offensively, Mahinmi has shown a surprising amount of polish. He can score on the block and his jumper is better than advertised. On the other end of the court, Mahinmi didn't do much last time in summer league. For a player as big and as athletic as he is, registering two blocked shots in six games is not acceptable.

It's difficult to figure out what to expect from Mahinmi. He'll be rusty but he has the athleticism and skillset to be the best player on this summer league squad. We'll see how much Mahinmi wants to prove his mettle.

Malik Hairston
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics9/160/IV/IVQOLVELYDJJECW.20071211235940.jpg
After a horrible debut outing last season in summer league, Malik Hairston appeared to be totally outmatched. He got slightly better as summer league progressed but he never really hit his stride. However, Hairston eventually became a pleasant surprise for the Spurs and the Austin Toros.

In summer league, Hairston averaged 24 minutes, 7.3 points, 2.88 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.8 turnovers per game, while hitting 48.1% of his shots from the field. With the Spurs, he averaged 3.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and 0.9 assists in 10.3 minutes per game. His most impressive stats came with the Toros: 22.9 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists in 41.3 minutes per contest.

Over the next week, Hairston can strengthen his chances of making the Spurs if he can prove to be a lockdown defender with three-point range. He has shown flashes of being a very good defensive player but he needs to be more relentless on that end and stay focused on the task at hand every second he's on the court. Making the correct defensive rotation in a timely manner has also been an issue so far in Hairston's pro career.

Offensively, he's shown good athleticism and an ability to attack the rim. His outside shot, though, remains a question mark. He didn't make a three-pointer last year in summer league or with the Spurs. While he did hit 44.1% on the D-League level with the Toros, Hairston needs to show he can do that against NBA-level athletes.

At this point, Hairston's future with the team isn't guaranteed, but a week of lively defense and perimeter marksmanship would greatly improve Hairston's chances.

James Gist
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/rivals/full.48103/768d6dbd83e734380a291f9ca8732201/james-gist.jpg
After being drafted with the 57th pick of the 2008 NBA Draft, not much was expected out of James Gist in last season's summer league. With that in mind, it was quite the shock when Gist was arguably the best player on the team. In 23 minutes per game, Gist averaged 9.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, 0.7 steals and 0.6 blocks, while hitting 55.3% of his field goal attempts and 76.5% of his free throws.

Despite his impressive play, the Spurs decided to follow through with the plan to send him to Europe. With his Italian team, Gist averaged 12.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 0.8 blocks in 27 minutes per contest.

This year, Gist will look to build upon his impressive play from last year. In his basketball life to date, Gist has mostly relied on supreme athleticism and an energetic motor. Now is the time for him to show that he has skills that can complement his natural attributes.

It'd really help Gist's chances of making the Spurs this season if he can prove that he's capable of playing small forward. He started to show some perimeter ability last year but there is a lot left to prove. He hit 49.4% of his three-pointers in Italy -- can he translate that to the NBA? Does he pass well enough and handle the ball adequately to play small forward? We might see some answers during summer league this year.

Gist has already been telling people that he'll play with the Spurs in the 2009-10 campaign. He can help that aspiration become reality if he can play even better this time around.

Jack McClinton
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/61/612038.jpg
The Spurs chose Jack McClinton with the 51st pick in this year's draft. Although he's shorter than 6-feet when barefoot, McClinton is a shooting guard with an extremely accurate outside shot. The range on his jumper is also very impressive. As a senior at Miami, McClinton averaged 19.3 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 32.2 minutes per game. He shot 44.9% from the field, 45.3% from beyond the arc and 88.5% at the charity stripe.

As is the case with every short shooting guard, McClinton needs to show the Spurs that he can get his shot off against longer players. He'll also need to prove that he can defend bigger opponents. Driving to the basket and finishing at the rim is another question mark in McClinton's game.

While those aren't simple obstacles to overcome, McClinton's shooting potential makes him an exciting prospect if he can adequately show that he can survive the common pitfalls of short shooting guards. McClinton can gain bonus points if he can show any ability to run the team as a point guard or show that he can be an above average defender at multiple positions.

Antonio Anderson
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mem/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/373280.jpeg
On paper, Antonio Anderson's stats last year with the Memphis Tigers don't look too impressive. He averaged 10.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.2 steals in 34.3 minutes per game, while shooting 45% from the floor and 25.4% from three-point land. But in workouts prior to the NBA draft, Anderson raised his stock.

Larry Brown, the nomad Hall of Fame coach of the Bobcats, said that Anderson reminded him of Bruce Bowen and Raja Bell. From Brown, that is definitely a compliment.

Defense is how Anderson could become an NBA player. His offense is never going to be above average but he has the tools to thrive at the other end of the court. With a good defensive showing, Anderson could win a spot at Spurs training camp in October.

Stephane Lasme
http://photo.adriaticbasket.net/albums/userpics/other/stephane_lasme.jpg
Stephane Lasme is a one-trick pony -- but that trick addresses a blatant need for San Antonio. As a senior at UMass, Lasme blocked 5.1 shots per game. In short stints at the NBA level, Lasme has continued to show an ability to block shots. Last year in Europe, Lasme blocked shots and also started to show improvements on the offensive end.

Considering that he's only 6-foot-7 with shoes on, Lasme doesn't look like a great shotblocker. But his 7-foot-2 wingspan and impeccable timing make him one of the best inch-for-inch shotblockers on the planet. It's unlikely for the 26-year-old to make the Spurs this year but he can improve his stock with other teams around the world with a quality showing in summer league.

Marcus Vinicius
http://www.nbadraft.net/files/players/marcus-vinicius-vieira-hd_0.jpg
Not too long ago, Marcus Vinicius was a 6-foot-9 small forward prospect who seemed to be oozing with potential. After not being too impressive at any level of basketball lately, Vinicius is looking to reclaim his standing as a legit NBA prospect.

He's still only 25 years old so there's a chance he can turn it around. Since he's 6-foot-9, the Spurs may opt to play him at power forward to see if he can be the type of skilled bigman who can do well in San Antonio's system.

Romel Beck
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l5ZsM8CSuYE/R7KZXxHuLzI/AAAAAAAAACk/_k5W0zJfxaM/s320/79497.jpg
Last year, Beck played for the Cavs in summer league and averaged 10.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 21 minutes per game. He shot 54.8% from the field and drained four of six three-point attempts. With the Dakota Wizards last year in D-League, Beck averaged 15.9 points in 28 minutes per game, while nailing 50.9% of his field goals and 49.2% of his three-pointers.

The 6-foot-7 small forward is a member of Mexico's national team and has also played overseas. He's been a good three-point shooter at each of his stops but he needs to show more of a well-rounded game if he wishes to make the jump to the NBA. Defense would be a good place for Beck to start showing he's more than just a shooter.

Alonzo Gee
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ALONZOGEEADIDAS150.JPG
At 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, Gee is coming off of a relatively success senior season at Alabama. He averaged 15.0 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 32.1 minutes per game, while shooting 44.2% from the field and 36.5% on three-pointers.

Even though he spent some time at power forward in college, he'll need to play small forward in the NBA. His combination of rebounding ability, outside shooting and athleticism make him a player to keep an eye on during summer league. If he can outplay Hairston and Anderson, Gee could find himself with a training camp invite by the end of the week.

Donnell Taylor
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3998.jpg
With more NBA experience than anyone else on the team, it'll be interesting to see what role Donnell Taylor plays in this year's summer league. At 6-foot-5, he's capable of playing both guard positions. He's not a very good outside shooter but he's good on the move and can hit mid-range jumpers. He's played in Greece the last two seasons and has averaged around 13 points per game.

It's a longshot that Taylor can make his way back to the NBA but the 26-year-old has been a player the Spurs have kept an eye on since his playing days at UAB.

Carldell Johnson
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3040/squeaky.jpg
Better known as Squeaky, Carldell Johnson has played 95 games with the Toros over the last two seasons. His stats don't jump off the page (8.9 points, 5.2 assists, 3.1 rebounds in 32.3 minutes per contest) but he's a solid player. He's far from spectacular and it's doubtful he'll ever make the NBA but he'll be a quality backup for Hill on this summer league team.

At 5-foot-10, Johnson's size is probably the main reason why the NBA isn't very realistic. However, his hustle and heart can't be questioned.

Eric Dawson
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9699/dawsonj.jpg
Eric Dawson played two games for the Toros in 2007-08 and 31 games last year. The 6-foot-9 bigman averaged 10.4 points, 6.6 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.0 blocks in 24.4 minutes per game last year, while connecting on 58.5% of his field goals.

Chances are that Dawson is looking at another year with the Toros. This summer league should be a good experience for him. If he does anything of note, it would be a surprise.

bugmenot
07-12-2009, 04:35 AM
I think MAHINMI is going to be awesome. 18 points and 10 boards a game.

You heard it here first :flag:

Freeze
07-12-2009, 04:40 AM

Let's hope so, I liked his interview on spurs.com....:rolleyes

L.I.T
07-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Absolutely agree, no doubt that Mahinmi has the most riding on his performance in SL.

Realistically speaking, I am less concerned with his statistics and more concerned with him showing any sort of will or passion out there on the court. Him dusting off his Mr. Roboto impression will not endear him any further to the FO and fans.

Darkwaters
07-12-2009, 04:55 AM

Somehow I'm doubtful. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't have a whole lot of hope for Mahinmi.

I just see him coasting through summer league.

Bruno
07-12-2009, 05:19 AM
SL should be fun this year. :hungry:

urunobili
07-12-2009, 07:07 AM
I look forward to seeing McClinton lighting up teams from the outside...

picnroll
07-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Hill has to show that he can break down the defense at least some and get into the paint. With the exception of the first few games at the beginning of last season, when Parker was hurt, did he show the remotest ability to get into the paint off the dribble. Was that because the defense quickly figured out his limited penetrating ability? Last year I think so. For the rest of the year he was always deflected laterally and would just give up the ball to the point where he stopped even trying to penetrate, except occasionally from the baseline. He would just bring up the ball and immediately give it up to Mason, Ginobili, whoever. If he can't break down the defense and get into the paint now he FAILS.

completely deck
07-12-2009, 08:04 AM
The Blair Witch Project :hungry:

Muser
07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
We play Memphis last game, time for Blair to punk Hasheem again.

kbrury
07-12-2009, 08:34 AM
:toast Here's to hoping we see the 4 straight 20 point outing version of Hill that we saw last year during the regular season.

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 08:50 AM
We play Memphis last game, time for Blair to punk Hasheem again.

I can't wait to see that game:lol

wildbill2u
07-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Lots of excitement when you look at the glass half-full. I hope they all work out at the very top level of their abilities in SL....but there's the glass half-empty possibility as well.

1. Mahinmi's last stand. I hope he realizes it and brings some attitude to the SL. And one more injury will put him in the category of bigs who were too fragile for the game.

2. Blair could be one of those college stars that can't make the NBA because of height. Long wingspan helps but ultimately the ability to pick up pennies from the floor without bending over doesn't automatically translate to being able to play against players who's abilities way surpass his college opponents. Can he stop anyone from shooting over his long wingspan? Is he a one trick pony? I love the idea of getting a guy who coulda been a lotter pick--and then I think: "Coulda?" Remember Marlon Brando's plaintive cry in On the Waterfront: "I coulda been a contender."

3. Hill will probably stick this year on his ability to defend, but he's terrilble at fiinishing when he gets in the lane. That give opponents the ability to get up close and deny him the perimeter shot and working room as a PG.

4. Gist has to be able to play the long 3. Can he do it this year? He may have to hone his skills another year. Spurs fans have already fallen in love with him and will be outraged if the coaches evaluate his talent as: Not ready for prime time.

5. I'm really impressed with McClinton's shooting range and accuracy. He can start lighting it up from the door of the dressing room. But I noticed a lot of his shots seem to be push shots at about chest level. They get off quick, but still, a short SG will probably have trouble getting that shot off against NBA level defenders. Maybe that's why he shoots from so far outside. Won't take the league long to figure that out and unless he can beat a close defender on the first step to the basket and finish in the lane....

Damn I hope all my carping criticisms are shown to be ridiculous.

spursbird
07-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I really hope Ian can show us what he's learned during the last year.

phyzik
07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
what time does the game start in CST?

galvatron3000
07-12-2009, 09:19 AM
nevermind

bigdog
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm excited to see how Hill is developing as a PG, and also to see Ian finally play again. I hope Ian goes all out, and proves that he belongs.

antimvp
07-12-2009, 10:01 AM
what happened to williams?

bigdog
07-12-2009, 10:03 AM
what happened to williams?

wrist injury, I believe.

anjlbitz
07-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm going there today! I'll be representing with my TD jersey !!

biziofromdowntown
07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm going there today! I'll be representing with my TD jersey !!

we want a post after the game!

anjlbitz
07-12-2009, 10:47 AM
we want a post after the game!

Probably not for a while. I'll be staying for a couple of games after the Spurs game.

I'm too excited. I know it's a summer league game but I've only seen one Spurs game live (XMas game in Phoenix) and this year's Summer league team actually looks pretty good.

The Great Fantastic
07-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm excited to see these kids get a lot of playing time. I just wish the feed wasn't so poor. My only concern is Don Newman. Seriously, I don't know if I understand where this guy is coming from with his lineups. Not the best way to evaluate talent when your rotation based on whim instead of the feel of the game.

Interrohater
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM
What a great opportunity for the starting unit, as this may actually be seen during the regular season: Hill, Mcclinton, Gist, Blair, Mahinmi.
It's awesome that they're able to start working on chemistry with each other. I think Hill is going to be fine since he's got a full season and an offseason with Chip Engeland under his belt (from the SL practice vid, he looks like he's learning to protect the ball while finishing)
Mahinmi knows better than all of us what's riding on this, so i'm betting he'll avg near a double double
Blair is going to eat lunch out there on the court. I think that regardless of what we've seen in video and whatnot, he's still going to surprise us.

Spurs_9_20_21
07-12-2009, 11:54 AM
What time does the games start?

Redshadows
07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I think Gist would finally stay in Euro again.

Ace9
07-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I think the game starts 1:00 PM Pacific Time.

Darkwaters
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I think the game starts 1:00 PM Pacific Time.

Thats right. It's at 10PM here, so 3PM San Antonio time.

iilluzioN
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
i think it starts 1 PM SA time

Darkwaters
07-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Nope:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/scoreboard.jsp?date=07/12/2009

4PM ET, 3PM CST, 10PM Central Europe

biziofromdowntown
07-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Nope:

Let's talk in Italian!

hahahahaha...dove la guardi? hai qualche link???

Just Jocking, but i'm surprise to find someone else from italy!

xmr210x
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM
ia anybody going to be recording these games? that would be sweet if tgere was a way somebody could up them later for download

lurker23
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Nope:

That's actually 3 pm Central Daylight Time (CDT), for those of you trying to figure out your offset from Wikipedia pages or something.

As of this posting it is 11:35 MDT, 12:35 CDT, and 1:35 EDT. The game will start at ~4 pm EDT, or approximately 2 hours and 25 minutes.

timvp
07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Hill has to show that he can break down the defense at least some and get into the paint. With the exception of the first few games at the beginning of last season, when Parker was hurt, did he show the remotest ability to get into the paint off the dribble. Was that because the defense quickly figured out his limited penetrating ability? Last year I think so. For the rest of the year he was always deflected laterally and would just give up the ball to the point where he stopped even trying to penetrate, except occasionally from the baseline. He would just bring up the ball and immediately give it up to Mason, Ginobili, whoever. If he can't break down the defense and get into the paint now he FAILS.Good points but I think his lack of penetration was just due to a lack of aggressiveness. It started really being a problem when Manu returned. Instead of trying to make plays, he would just dribble the ball up and hand it to Manu and then run to the corner. We'd see glimpses of his early season play here and there but it was almost always when there were a limited number of scoring options on the floor and he was forced to sink or swim.

But yeah, if he starts dribbling the ball up, handing it off and running to the corner during summer league ... RC will be running to the phone to find a backup point guard.

duncan228
07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
The Spurs schedule, for anyone interested.

2009 Summer League Schedule

Date Opponent Location Tipoff (all times CDT)

July 12 New Orleans COX Pavilion 3 p.m.
July 14 Denver COX Pavilion 9 p.m.
July 16 Oklahoma City Thomas & Mack 7:30 p.m.
July 18 Portland Thomas & Mack 9:30 p.m.
July 19 Memphis COX Pavilion 7 p.m.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090701_summerleague.html

Bruno
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I hope John Mason will show up today. :)

GOSPURS733
07-12-2009, 12:53 PM
so what times the game 3?

iilluzioN
07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
The Spurs schedule, for anyone interested.

r u kidding me? im sure everyone is interested! :lol

iilluzioN
07-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Hill will dominate.

lurker23
07-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Last two tweets from Jack McClinton:

JackMcClinton Bout to grab some breakfast then gametyme
about 1 hour ago from TwitterFon

JackMcClinton Focus."this time it's for the money"
19 minutes ago from TwitterFon

Sounds like he knows that if he plays well, he's got a good shot at a guaranteed contract. :tu

objective
07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I hope Newman doesn't decide "It's random scrub time!" and play the key guys in 4 minute stretches while camp invite fodder scrubs are logging 34 minutes at each position.

Go For Tree
07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Last two tweets from Jack McClinton:

JackMcClinton Bout to grab some breakfast then gametyme
about 1 hour ago from TwitterFon

JackMcClinton Focus."this time it's for the money"
19 minutes ago from TwitterFon

Sounds like he knows that if he plays well, he's got a good shot at a guaranteed contract. :tu

i think he will def get a GC. hes the type of instant offense player that can allow manu to possibly start again and eliminate some of the pesky slow starts we have at times. not to mention RC was drooling about his DEE and we know in SA that puts you on the floor even if you take bad shots from time to time. Really excited about all these young guys being able to contribute. McClinton is already 25 years old and much more mature than most rookies so i think he will be more ready to make an impact than most of us expect.

picnroll
07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope John Mason will show up today. :)

OT Bruno have you seen any of Beaubois's games. He tore it up on D in game one and D and O in game two. Looks like the French might have another heckuva PG and unfortunately Dallas too.

iilluzioN
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
25 years old!!! heck yea!

Bruno
07-12-2009, 02:03 PM
OT Bruno have you seen any of Beaubois's games. He tore it up on D in game one and D and O in game two. Looks like the French might have another heckuva PG and unfortunately Dallas too.

No, I haven't watched him during SL. I was damn surprised when I've seen that he scored 34 points.
I don't see Beaubois being good in his rookie year. He is more a long term project but it's true that he has a very high upside.

tomtom
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Can't wait

kromediablo
07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
For those of you that do not want to pay, the game is on live stream somewhere on justin.tv at 4pm eastern New Orleans vs San Antonio

Buddy Holly
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
This is the best link to see the game. HQ video and I believe 100% legal to view.

www.tubeon.com/sports (www.youfail.org)

timvp
07-12-2009, 02:27 PM

I was pretty damn surprised from what I saw of him in summer league so far. I've seen a number of his games in Europe and he looked like he had the tools but still needed a lot of work. I think his scoring outburst was a little bit of a fluke because it was mostly three-pointers and he hit only 31% of his threes last year in the French league. Like Bruno said, Beaubois has talent but I'd be shocked if he was much of a factor this coming season.

A good sign for the Spurs is that De Colo was his teammate in France and put up much better numbers than Beaubois. Hopefully that is a sign that De Colo might be a bit better than advertised as well.

Brazil
07-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Normally Rodrigue will be in the mavs roster, from what I saw of him since few years DeColo should be better but his 34 pts are impressive.

Brazil
07-12-2009, 03:09 PM
to complete (34 points, 8 ast, 5 reb, 7/12 3 fg)

mazerrackham
07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Wasn't Gist supposed to be showing that he could play/guard the 3 spot, I've seen him play nothing but 4...And he's been pretty invisible...

timvp
07-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Looks like Antonio Anderson isn't on the team. Too bad because I thought he was the best prospect outside of the top six players already linked to the Spurs.

Blackjack
07-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I completely overlooked that..

Did someone pick him up?

timvp
07-13-2009, 03:53 AM
A Google search doesn't bring back any news. Not sure what happened to him.