PDA

View Full Version : A Beer Thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

scott
07-12-2009, 02:06 PM
As I sit here at work, surrounded by beer my mind cannot help but to continually cycle back to the bottle of Harviestoun Ola Dubh 30 sitting in my fridge at home. Will tonight be the night I crack it open and savor it's greatness? Perhaps not... but at least I can dream in the meantime...

http://bierkraft.com/ProductImages/Harviestoun_Ola_Dubh_30_bottle_box.jpg

So fellow Club Beer Lovers... what is latest to occupy your beer daydreams?

scott
07-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Also - has anyone made their GABF plans yet? We'll be there with Rye Wit, Freetail Ale, Torpor Porter, Verano Sin Fin, La Muerta & an Ancho-Chile spiced Helles in the Pro-Am.

jacobdrj
07-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I am curious about 'wheat' beers. Who makes them? Where can I acquire them?

exstatic
07-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Also - has anyone made their GABF plans yet? We'll be there with Rye Wit, Freetail Ale, Torpor Porter, Verano Sin Fin, La Muerta & an Ancho-Chile spiced Helles in the Pro-Am.

That ish is great. I was at JJ's place last night, and he had a keg of it in his beer fridge.

scott
07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
That ish is great. I was at JJ's place last night, and he had a keg of it in his beer fridge.

Sweet! Yeah, JJ came by yesterday to pick it up. He's a badass dude!

Notorious H.O.P.
07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I'll be at the GABF. Gonna stop by your place and get me a La Muerta t-shirt so I can sport it there.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2009, 07:28 PM
My other got me a three month membership to the rare beer club back in late 2008 for my birthday. I still have a bottle left of the Arend Tripel, belgium style ale.

http://rarebeerclub.beveragebistro.com/images/arend-tripel200.jpg
Saving it for a special occasion.

The one out of all three months I liked the best was this though, it's a barleywine from Argentina:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/41128.jpg

It was, how shall we say, tha bomb.

Wild Cobra
07-12-2009, 08:57 PM
No idea in your area. They are abundant in Oregon.

They are calls a "Weisen." A "Hefeweisen" is far more common. Both are wheat beers.

lefty
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Stay thirsty my friends

Strike
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM
No idea in your area. They are abundant in Oregon.

They are calls a "Weisen." A "Hefeweisen" is far more common. Both are wheat beers.

Gotta love Oregon.

baseline bum
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Paulaner Hefeweizen is pretty good, and not hard to find. It beats the hell out of the other wheats you can find readily (i.e., Sierra Nevada Wheat, Pyramid Hefeweizen, Shiner Hefeweizen, Sam Adams Summer Ale [by far the worst], etc.).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eSxF4Et6FME/SJ1ERPdvwOI/AAAAAAAAAeo/R3TgzUNijgA/s400/DSCN1511.JPG

lefty
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Man, all those bottles look super cool

jman3000
07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
The problem i have with hef's is that they fill me up really fast. I can't drink more than 3 or 4 without feeling completely full.

They're more of a "chilling out" beer than a "party" beer for me.

Supreme_Being
07-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Oettinger is a nice example of quality wheat beer. I'm sure someone in the interweb sells it.

Wild Cobra
07-12-2009, 11:38 PM
The problem i have with hef's is that they fill me up really fast. I can't drink more than 3 or 4 without feeling completely full.

They're more of a "chilling out" beer than a "party" beer for me.
Well, beer is actually a form of food. You're simply drinking allot of liquid wheat bread!

scott
07-13-2009, 12:13 AM
As far as wheat beers go I'm more partial to Wit's than Weizen (be it a hefe, krystal or American wheat) than any other. A great commercial example available just about anywhere are Blanche de Bruxelles, and Avery White Rascal for something produced by an American brewery. Allagash White is another good one.

On the Weizen side, Breckenridge Agave Wheat is mighty mighty good for these brutal summer days.

Notorious, sadly we are actually out of La Muerta shirts, but have some Freetail Ale shirts in that are pretty rad (in addition to some plain Freetail shirts). Hope to see you in Denver (or before then even).

leemajors
07-13-2009, 08:12 AM
I'll be at the GABF. Round trip flights on Southwest are nice atm - ~150 with fees.

JudynTX
07-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I want to try that Sam Adams Summer Ale. It looks good.

tlongII
07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
This is the one you want to go. July 23-26. Many prefer it to the GABF.

http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

JudynTX
07-13-2009, 09:22 AM
This is the one you want to go. July 23-26. Many prefer it to the GABF.

http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

I attended the GABF in Denver several years ago. It was great, trying samples of every beer available. Talk about getting buzzed....:lol

I'll never forget Hemp Ale though. :D

Spur-Addict
07-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Had a bunch of Steel Reserve 211 last night. I'm well aware there is better tasting beer out there. I just wanted a stronger beer, something short of getting a bottle of Jack.

Wild Cobra
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Had a bunch of Steel Reserve 211 last night. I'm well aware there is better tasting beer out there. I just wanted a stronger beer, something short of getting a bottle of Jack.
Well, the Germans would not call that beer.

wiki: Reinheitsgebot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot)

The Reinheitsgebot (literally "purity order"), sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, is a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops.

And yeast. At the time of the original law, they used natural fermentation until the role of yeast was understood.

Still, cheap beers and big brewer beers are not real beers. They contain Corn Sugar, rice malt, or other additives that make it illegal to call beer in Germany.

dougp
07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Where do you work Scott?

I'm currently awaiting the new Saint Arnold's Divine brew - hoping I can get some when it comes out. It sells out pretty fast here in Houston.

scott
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, the Germans would not call that beer.

wiki: Reinheitsgebot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot)

The Reinheitsgebot (literally "purity order"), sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, is a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops.

And yeast. At the time of the original law, they used natural fermentation until the role of yeast was understood.

Still, cheap beers and big brewer beers are not real beers. They contain Corn Sugar, rice malt, or other additives that make it illegal to call beer in Germany.

While I agree that Steel Reserve isn't real beer - Reinheitsgebot is more of a marketing ploy than it is a anything in Germany these days. It's no longer an in-effect law and only in Bavaria does anybody really seem to give a crap. Even then, technically Weissbiers would be in violation of Reinheitsgebot. Tons of awesome funky American craft beers (that use other natural ingredients) would also be in violation.

Germany has a new, but slowly evolving craft beer scene themselves, but beer as a whole is down over there. I suspect partly because the Purity Law tradition has effectively stifled any innovation in brewing. German's have been drinking the same beer for 500 years (but they are definitely the best at making those particular traditional styles!).

This is making me thirsty... I'm thinkful I'll be drinking a lot of great beer tonight!

scott
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Where do you work Scott?

I'm currently awaiting the new Saint Arnold's Divine brew - hoping I can get some when it comes out. It sells out pretty fast here in Houston.

I work for Freetail Brewing Co.

I still have a couple bottles of DR6 in my fridge... your post reminds me it might be time to crack one open.

baseline bum
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I want to try that Sam Adams Summer Ale. It looks good.

It tastes awful. It's extremely lemony, especially when cold. When it warms a pepper flavor is a little more evident making it somewhat better, but it's still not a six-pack I'll ever buy a second time.

JudynTX
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
It tastes awful. It's extremely lemony, especially when cold. When it warms a pepper flavor is a little more evident making it somewhat better, but it's still not a six-pack I'll ever buy a second time.

Oh! So it tastes like lemonade?:lol

Notorious H.O.P.
07-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Notorious, sadly we are actually out of La Muerta shirts, but have some Freetail Ale shirts in that are pretty rad (in addition to some plain Freetail shirts). Hope to see you in Denver (or before then even).

Sadly enough, I would already have a La Muerta shirt and a Freetail hat but you had/have a crappy bartender out there who looked like he wanted to do anything except serve beer or even look at the several customers who had empty glasses.

I asked him how much the shirt was and he told me $30. Seemed a bit steep so I asked how much a cap was. He said it was $30 also. As awesome as they were, they were a little rich for my blood at the moment.

I later told a beer buddy of mine that I was going to go back and get both and he told me they actually cost much less than that.

So not only did I drink two less beers than I wanted due to the crappy service provided by this guy, I apparently also missed out on a La Muerta shirt.

Luckily for the rest of the Freetail crew, it takes more than crappy service to keep me away from great beer. :toast

CubanMustGo
07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Sam Adams is "good" beer if all you have to compare it to is mass-brewed American crap.

z0sa
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
call me ignorant then but budweiser has never let me down.

baseline bum
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Sam Adams is "good" beer if all you have to compare it to is mass-brewed American crap.

Sam Adams' Boston Lager and Irish Red are pretty good. I don't like the other ones I have tried much though (Summer Ale, Winter Ale, Black Lager, Honey Porter, and Octoberfest).

Wild Cobra
07-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Reinheitsgebot is more of a marketing ploy than it is a anything in Germany these days. It's no longer an in-effect law and only in Bavaria does anybody really seem to give a crap. Even then, technically Weissbiers would be in violation of Reinheitsgebot.

The Germans never called a Weisen a bier. They called it a Weisen, or like you said, a weissbier. The law was replaced in 1993 (I left in 1992) and they had plenty of weisens and other drinks available. I hadn't found an english translation of the new naw, and I don't retain enough German. I would disagree with the marketing ploy, most of them still want to retain the naming history. I'll bet it was to allow imports without relabeling the bottles. I'll bet the law was replaced partially because of the retail sale price limitations of other types and partially for imports. Not because they could not be made.

Tons of awesome funky American craft beers (that use other natural ingredients) would also be in violation.

Again, it doesn't have to be called bier. They can call it beer, out of respect for tradition.

Germany has a new, but slowly evolving craft beer scene themselves, but beer as a whole is down over there. I suspect partly because the Purity Law tradition has effectively stifled any innovation in brewing.

Bullshit. Again, they just couldn't call it bier before! They could brew something in violation of the law and call it something else all along. I hope they didn't really remove the part that it cannot be called Bier if something else was used. That I think is an awesome law. Besides, maybe they only struck doen the part of the law that said

German's have been drinking the same beer for 500 years (but they are definitely the best at making those particular traditional styles!).

Each community has it's own brewery, at least one. They have had trade for a thousand years or so. It would be more correct to saw they were drinking the same hundreds of biers.

I do have a 500th anniversary stein from one of the city's anniversary party. I forget which one. I'll have to pull it out sometime.

call me ignorant then but Budweiser has never let me down.
Will you stop drinking from the urinals of a brewpub please.

That's piss water. I have not been able to stomach Miller, Bud, Coors, etc. since leaving Germany.

What is it, a 3.2% fake Pilsner? Very few good beers are that weak.

The Warsteiner (pilsner) I drank in Germany was 4.8%. Pilsners I think are normally between 4% to 5%. Because of Oregon law, anything over I think 3.4% cannot be called beer! You will find them called an ale, or something else. The Twilight I have in hand now is a 5% Pilsner, and does not taste like piss water. If an import to Oregon has more than 3.4% and says "beer" on it, it has to be relabeled if it is to be sold here.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
lol scott
for some reason every time you post about beer i just imagine some guy wearing an OU shirt, with a five oclock shadow, passed out under the tap of his la muerta at free tail, with old pizza crust crumbs and dried bbq sauce all over his face and shirt.
no offense

mookie2001
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
what are pizza crust crumbs?, you mean scraps or pizza leavings

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
they're like toaster leavings, but not from a toaster

scott
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Sadly enough, I would already have a La Muerta shirt and a Freetail hat but you had/have a crappy bartender out there who looked like he wanted to do anything except serve beer or even look at the several customers who had empty glasses.

I asked him how much the shirt was and he told me $30. Seemed a bit steep so I asked how much a cap was. He said it was $30 also. As awesome as they were, they were a little rich for my blood at the moment.

I later told a beer buddy of mine that I was going to go back and get both and he told me they actually cost much less than that.

So not only did I drink two less beers than I wanted due to the crappy service provided by this guy, I apparently also missed out on a La Muerta shirt.

Luckily for the rest of the Freetail crew, it takes more than crappy service to keep me away from great beer. :toast

Hey man, I'm really upset to hear this is the kind of service you got. We've never had a $30 shirt or $30 hat, and the kind of service you describe is completely unacceptable. I'm going to shoot you a PM to discuss a little more, and at the very least I hope you let me buy you a couple of pints to make up for it.

Cheers,

Scott

Bender
07-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I think I've seen that Freetail place around where I work but never been there.

maybe need to come by during lunch for a beer.

alamo50
07-15-2009, 05:30 AM
I have a new favourite beer since this weekend:

http://www.ohtsuki-saketen.com/Pictures/boxweb/05affligem_dubbel75.jpg

Sportcamper
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Coors Light…30 pack from Costco…

101A
07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Sucker for IPA's here:

What I'm drinkin this weekend:

http://www.victorybeer.com/hopdevil.html

Bukefal
07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Czech beer is the best! Especially black beer.

http://www.pivovary.info/prehled/krakonos/l_krakonos14_vel.jpg

http://praguemonitor.com/beer/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/zeitgeistherold.jpg

Winehole23
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
La Chouffe Tripel IPA style

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cZEDwoNgM2U/SjAmn4w5VmI/AAAAAAAAHPM/2QKVnT3YYEI/s400/DSCF6282.JPG

Winehole23
07-15-2009, 01:16 PM
St Bernardus Tripel

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/1976141196_088cc7b06b.jpg?v=0

leemajors
07-15-2009, 01:50 PM
St Bernardus Tripel

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/1976141196_088cc7b06b.jpg?v=0

the ABT 12 is where it's at:
http://www.worldsbeer.com/newbottles/st_bernardus_abt_12.jpg

Winehole23
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I disagree. It's much better to drink BOTH of them, one right after the other. :eyebrows

baseline bum
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Sucker for IPA's here:

IPA's fucking rule. This is the one I'm loyal to:

http://www.naganotrading.com/CMS/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sripa_small.jpg

Bender
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
with all the great beers and ales of the world, I don't see how people want to sit around the house and drink that miller lite crap, or coors lite or bud lite or whatever...

I can see maybe if you are at an event or party, and just want to guzzle something lite and tasteless, but when you're relaxing ... drink something better.

jman3000
07-15-2009, 05:20 PM
:lol I was just about to bring up Ruination too.

Wild Cobra
07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Sucker for IPA's here:

If you're in the NW, you should try this one. The bitters actually have a very nice taste.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/Misc/InversionIPA.jpg

jman3000
07-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Pale ale's are good... but super IPA's are just way too much bitter for me. I tried Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and it was too funky.

Biernutz
07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
One thing to look for when you see a too good to be true sale on your favorite beer. Check the born on date. Beer will loose it's flavor when it gets old. I have bought some imported beer that I never had before but it tasted like "Skunk Beer" You never know how long it's been sitting in the cooler going thru cooling cycles

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Ya, I had a similar experience the only time I went (minus the apparel drama :lol).

I had been wanting to check the place out for a while and I finally dragged my 2 brothers and friend out there. Very cool set up and the beer was good. I tried the Porter, Hefe and one other.

We sat outside and basically got ignored for a long time. I had to go inside twice to get a round and the bartender inside ignored me for quite a while as well and it was not all that busy. He was just talking and talking and then when he took my order, it took him 5-6 minutes just to fill up 3 beers (he actually told me he forgot me on accident and had to re take my order).

The waitresses outside were nice enough, but they did not seem like they wanted to bother with our table for some reason. Oh well, the beer was pretty good and I am glad I got to check out a fellow ST's business before I moved away.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I cannot get into IPA's or other really "hoppy" beers. I guess I have not developed that taste yet. I like darker beer and reds. I really like Shiner Black and Tilburg Dutch Brown Ale.

AnthonyM
07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Keystone Light

Six Pack of Tall Boys = $3.99 at HEB

Mmm...

Bender
07-15-2009, 10:17 PM
where's a good place in san antonio to buy beer? I mean the kinds of beers that are being discussed in this thread.

I have bought expensive imported beers many times, but lots of times I get a skunky 6-pack, like it was improperly kept or something...

David Bowie
07-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Not much of a beer drinker. More of a vodka/bloody Mary/White Russian/MArtini kind of gal. But I've always liked the "Blue Moon" beer.

http://beer357.com/uploaded_images/Blue-Moon-Beer-780348.bmp

JudynTX
07-16-2009, 07:50 AM
where's a good place in san antonio to buy beer? I mean the kinds of beers that are being discussed in this thread.

I have bought expensive imported beers many times, but lots of times I get a skunky 6-pack, like it was improperly kept or something...

HEB Central Market on Broadway. :D

101A
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
If you're in the NW, you should try this one. The bitters actually have a very nice taste.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/Misc/InversionIPA.jpg

NE not NW.

Pennsylvania is crazy with its beer laws.

Have to go to a "6 pack store" to get 6 packs - or to a "distributor", and they only sell cases; luckily we have a good one in town, and I have a really nice choice of good cases.

baseline bum
07-16-2009, 10:59 AM

It's been years since I've been there, but I know Hills & Dale's on the NW side has a ridiculous selection of beers.

Soul_Patch
07-16-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.strawberryfestival.com/graphics/Lone%20Star%20New.JPG

only real men drink it....

leemajors
07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.strawberryfestival.com/graphics/Lone%20Star%20New.JPG

only real men drink it....

real men drink water if they need water.

Bender
07-16-2009, 05:46 PM
haven't had a lone star since the 80s... I remember it had kind of a fruity taste. Think I've only had one in my whole life.

Hills & Dale's
never been there. is that across from UTSA?

Notorious H.O.P.
07-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Ya, I had a similar experience the only time I went (minus the apparel drama :lol).

I had been wanting to check the place out for a while and I finally dragged my 2 brothers and friend out there. Very cool set up and the beer was good. I tried the Porter, Hefe and one other.

We sat outside and basically got ignored for a long time. I had to go inside twice to get a round and the bartender inside ignored me for quite a while as well and it was not all that busy. He was just talking and talking and then when he took my order, it took him 5-6 minutes just to fill up 3 beers (he actually told me he forgot me on accident and had to re take my order).

The waitresses outside were nice enough, but they did not seem like they wanted to bother with our table for some reason. Oh well, the beer was pretty good and I am glad I got to check out a fellow ST's business before I moved away.

That was the only time I've had bad service. Everyone else is on the ball and taking care of their customers. I don't recall seeing that guy again. Don't know if he is still there or not but Freetail would be much better off without him.

For those of you who haven't gone, it is some fantastic beer. And the pizza rocks too!

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Ya, the pizza was good. I had the meatball pizza IIRC.

Strike
07-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Keystone Light

Six Pack of Tall Boys = $3.99 at HEB

Mmm...

Worse than Milwaukee's Beast or Hamms.

Pabst = Best cheap beer.

Bender
07-17-2009, 01:17 PM
picked up a 6-pack of IPA called Full Sail today. Never heard of it. Hope it's worth the 6.99.
:drunk

jman3000
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
It's been years since I've been there, but I know Hills & Dale's on the NW side has a ridiculous selection of beers.

Hills & Dale's and Central Market are probably the 2 best places in town to get pricey beer.

H&D's is cool, but they often don't have complete 6 packs and you have to buy the bottles separately so you end up paying 8 bucks a bottle for something like Midas Touch, when you could get it at 4 bucks per at Central Market.

For those wondering H&D's is across 1604 from Ferris stadium and a couple miles after Bandera / before UTSA.

jman3000
07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
So ummm... what was the Spurstalk discount at Freetails again? :lol

I'll be stopping by after work with a friend from out of town... hopefully the questionable service has been fixed. I've heard great things about it though.

The Reckoning
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
just picked up one of these from a buddy who visited from wisconsin. i put down my bud light (yeah i know but it was free) and took a swig from this. it was pure :greedy.

http://i40.tinypic.com/107rwvd.jpg

Rogue
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
just picked up one of these from a buddy who visited from wisconsin. i put down my bud light (yeah i know but it was free) and took a swig from this. it was pure :greedy.

http://i40.tinypic.com/107rwvd.jpg

you aren't allowed to post in a manly topic after your pathetic display last night, thanks

The Reckoning
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
you aren't allowed to post in a manly topic after your pathetic display last night, thanks

your mom begs to differ.

Rogue
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
your mom begs to differ.

my mother is a lawyer, she ALWAYS begs to differ

while you always beg to give it to her, she declines though

lol low sperm count

RandomGuy
04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Leinenkugel's rocks.

The Yellow Store in San Marcos is another place to discover good beer, surprisingly.

The Reckoning
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Leinenkugel's rocks.

The Yellow Store in San Marcos is another place to discover good beer, surprisingly.

:tu

i figured posting my favorite, somewhat local, beer would be a good last post for my tenure.

http://i40.tinypic.com/14o145c.jpg

stay classy..because God knows some of yall need it.

RandomGuy
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Oddly enough the shell station in my neighborhood carries Lienenkugel as well. It is their ONLY beer that approaches a microbrew, so I was astonished to see it among the shitty light beer that forms the staple in most beer places.

tlongII
04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
This is what I'm drinking at the moment...

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/bottle-mirror-pond-pale-ale.gif

Terrific brewery!

Drachen
04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Damn it, I need to find a way to get my ass over to try some of that freetail. Probably cant do it tonight (though the night of a closeout game would rock), unfortunately the wife injured her back. So, you know, gotta take care of that.

I like Leinenkugels, it is one of the better widely available beers. I have tried 4 of their beers and am 3 for 4. I think that this is a pretty good ratio. I think the honey wheat was the only one I didn't like (1880, Berry Weiss, and Sunset Wheat are the others, though the berry weiss is a little sweet, it just reminds me of "Berliner Weiss mit Schuss", something I would have every once in a while in germany). I have had a lot of luck with brands that have "dog" in the name (dogfish head, and Flying dog the best examples).

I have been hinting at a brew kit for fathers day for a while now. LOL

leemajors
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Scott, are you guys gonna come up for Great Austin Beer Festival?

http://www.greataustinbeerfestival.com/

Looks like a decent turnout so far as breweries go, local and not, I'd imagine they'd love to have you guys.

bus driver
04-29-2010, 04:48 PM
i am a fan of amstel (http://amstellight.com/) light

but 80% of the time i keep it simple with a budweiser brand

Sisk
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Blue Moon is about as crazy as I'll go..

scott
04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Scott, are you guys gonna come up for Great Austin Beer Festival?

http://www.greataustinbeerfestival.com/

Looks like a decent turnout so far as breweries go, local and not, I'd imagine they'd love to have you guys.

There is a bit of skepticism from us Texas breweries right now about this festival, because they've never reached out to a good portion of us or the Texas Craft Brewers Guild.

Whether or not we get involved in that festival has yet to be seen. However, the Texas Craft Brewers Guild is working on putting together a festival of our own. Location and date all TBD, but we're working on it.

PS: I'll be popping open bottles of La Muerta at the brewery tonight when the Spurs beat that Mavrick ass. Be there :)

Whisky Dog
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm a fan of the Real Ale brews. Fireman's 4, Devil's Backbone, Phoenixx, and their Hefe is absolutely the best hefe I've tasted, better than Paulaner and Spaaten

baseline bum
04-29-2010, 06:30 PM
If the Spurs don't win tonight, I'm going to need to down a couple of 64s of Olde English 800.

baseline bum
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Terrific brewery!

I'm a huge fan of their Black Butte Porter. Is their pale ale as good?

Winehole23
04-29-2010, 06:43 PM
It's very good. Balanced, not over the top hoppy. I'm a big fan of Deschutes.

baseline bum
04-29-2010, 06:51 PM

I'll have to give it a try, though I'm pretty loyal to Sierra Nevada when I want a pale ale (Stone's surprisingly sucks in comparison). Thanks.

Their Black Butte Porter is easily one of the best 5 or so porter/stouts I have ever had.

Winehole23
04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Their Black Butte Porter is easily one of the best 5 or so porter/stouts I have ever had.The Mirror Pond didn't blow me away like the Black Butte Porter, but I'm a porter freak. Black Butte is the new king of the mountain for me -- easily beating out my erstwhile ATF, Anchor Porter.

BTW, did you hear Fritz Maytag sold Anchor Brewery?

Jekka
04-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Deschute's "The Abyss" is the shit, especially if you like dark beers. I <3 imperial stouts, and that's a damn good one.

tlongII
04-29-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm a huge fan of their Black Butte Porter. Is their pale ale as good?

It's excellent. :tu You should try it!

tlongII
04-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm not into porters. Too heavy for me.

David Bowie
04-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Not much of a beer drinker. Usually can't drink more then a few. (More of a vodka/white rum mixed with soda kind of person)

But I do like:

Blue Moon

Carona with lots of lime in it

The occasional Bud light because it goes down easily

Guiness is allright too

baseline bum
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm not into porters. Too heavy for me.

You're missing out on a hell of a beer then. Winehole ain't joking when he talks about the amazing quality of the Black Butte Porter.

baseline bum
04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
The Mirror Pond didn't blow me away like the Black Butte Porter, but I'm a porter freak. Black Butte is the new king of the mountain for me -- easily beating out my erstwhile ATF, Anchor Porter.

BTW, did you hear Fritz Maytag sold Anchor Brewery?

I have been really tempted to try their porter, but I just can't make myself pass on either Rogue's Chocolate Stout, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, or Sierra Nevada Stout when I want something in the style. And Guinness Extra Stout is still a huge favorite when I want a stout that grabs you by the balls.

Drachen
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm a fan of the Real Ale brews. Fireman's 4, Devil's Backbone, Phoenixx, and their Hefe is absolutely the best hefe I've tasted, better than Paulaner and Spaaten

Real ale is having some sort of dinner and tasting event at the Hotel Alsace in Castroville tomorrow night.

leemajors
04-30-2010, 07:58 AM
There is a bit of skepticism from us Texas breweries right now about this festival, because they've never reached out to a good portion of us or the Texas Craft Brewers Guild.

Whether or not we get involved in that festival has yet to be seen. However, the Texas Craft Brewers Guild is working on putting together a festival of our own. Location and date all TBD, but we're working on it.

PS: I'll be popping open bottles of La Muerta at the brewery tonight when the Spurs beat that Mavrick ass. Be there :)

Weird, you'd think that would be one of the first places they would reach out to. I'll see if I can prod them into it. I just know a lot of my friends who work at breweries here in Austin should be there, and everyone I know here loves Freetail beers who has been.

leemajors
04-30-2010, 08:00 AM
I have been really tempted to try their porter, but I just can't make myself pass on either Rogue's Chocolate Stout, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, or Sierra Nevada Stout when I want something in the style. And Guinness Extra Stout is still a huge favorite when I want a stout that grabs you by the balls.

Sierra's 30th Anniversary stout was/is liquid gold if you can still find it. I can't wait for their next three anniversary brews this year. If you see Great Divide's Oak aged Yeti Stout grab that ASAP.

PuttPutt
04-30-2010, 08:10 AM
For those of you that are Deschutes fans,(if you can) try Jubel 2010 "Once-in-a-Decade"
It's one of their reserve series. It packs quite the punch at 10% alcohol by volume, but is very tasty. Mostly found on tap, but can be found in 1 pint 6oz bottles. Price in WA state for the bottle is about $10. Most 1 pint 6oz bottles of various brews run around $5 up here.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/reserve-series/Jubel-2010/default.aspx

Chomag
04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I havn't tried the others from Sierra but I'm realy loving Sierra Nevada's golden bock right now. When I'm tight on money and need a cheaper beer I go with Killian's Irish Red beer. Very good stuff!

Bender
04-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Killian's Irish Red beer
great stuff from what I remember. Haven't had one in a long time.

RealEstateDude
05-01-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.revolvermag.com/images/blog/Duvel.jpg

http://www.duvelusa.com/beer.php?cat=thepour

/thread

baseline bum
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.revolvermag.com/images/blog/Duvel.jpg

http://www.duvelusa.com/beer.php?cat=thepour

/thread

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Duvel is one of those beers that comes in 4 packs IIRC.

Not too shabby. I like it.

Wild Cobra
05-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Terrific brewery!
Yes..

I have six packs of Inversion, Obsidian, and Black Butte in my kitchen right now.

CubanMustGo
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Weihenstephaner Korbinian FTW:

http://www.beerblitz.com/sitebuilder/images/Korbinian_bottle-167x629.jpghttp://www.beerblitz.com/sitebuilder/images/Korbinian_glass-211x423.jpg

You won't drink more than a couple of these, about 8% ABV. Available at some HEBs in the Austin area, Central Market, better bierhouses. About $3 for a half liter bottle, $7-$8 when you can find them at a pub (I think Flying Saucer has them).

My wife and I are going to Germany this Oktoberfest season and a stop at the brewery is on the agenda. They make a very tasty Kristall for those hot days when you don't want something as heavy.

These guys know their bier - brewing since 1040. Not a typo, 10-fucking-40. http://www.weihenstephaner.de/index2.html?lang=eng

DPG21920
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Has anybody tried the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout? Picked up a bottle and it is pretty damn good.

Notorious H.O.P.
05-14-2010, 04:54 PM

I'll be headed out to the Great Austin Beer Festival and look forward to sampling as many beers as possible.

And if you let us know when the Texas Craft Brewers Guild is having their festival, I'll be at that one too.

One note though, I thought I read in a beer column (Express News maybe or some online beer column) that there is some type of limitation (legal possibly) in regards to brewpubs participating in this type of festival. It doesn't sound correct to me but is there any possible truth in that?

scott
05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
I'll be headed out to the Great Austin Beer Festival and look forward to sampling as many beers as possible.

And if you let us know when the Texas Craft Brewers Guild is having their festival, I'll be at that one too.

One note though, I thought I read in a beer column (Express News maybe or some online beer column) that there is some type of limitation (legal possibly) in regards to brewpubs participating in this type of festival. It doesn't sound correct to me but is there any possible truth in that?

The current TABC interpretation is that if any sort of ticket or entrance fee is involved, it constitutes a "sale". Currently a sale off a brewpubs premise is not allowed, thus brewpubs can't participate in a paid area of any festival or event. For brewpub beer to be given away off-premise, it needs to be given away for free.

We're obviously trying to change things to allow brewpubs to sell into 3rd party retail markets, short of that we'd also like to get a different interpretation of festivals.

Note that none of these laws apply to Texas wineries.

PuttPutt
05-16-2010, 01:23 AM
I tried a new IPA yesterday called Leafer Madness. Not too bad & was fairly smooth.

Description
Leafer Madness Imperial Pale Ale was created during the great hop shortage of 2008, but there is no shortage of hops in this beer. Brewed with large amounts of 2-row malt, Munich malt, and multiple hop varieties, this 9% ABV, 100+ IBU hop monster quenches the thirst of those who crave the lupulin!

http://www.beervalleybrewing.com/images/leafermadness_large.jpg

The Reckoning
05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
i had to chug a rasputin last night. it was hard to kill. most disgusting shit ive ever tasted. let's just say i ended up tasting it more than once.

Sense
08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
My new favorite beer...

http://legalbeer.com/images/dogfish%20head%20indian%20brown%20ale.jpg

I didn't take this picture

Jekka
08-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I had the Red Introduction ale at Blue Corn Brewery here in Santa Fe last night, and I swear the aftertaste was like concentrated bitter grapefruit. I like it more than I thought I would.

Sense
08-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Nothing better than a woman that likes beer... Real beer.

balli
08-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I'll tell you boys/^gals what- for about 8 months I haven't been drinking much of anything that isn't nitro-packed..... which has caused some digestion problems for me when I try to go back to c02. Which sucks, because I'm sick of Murphy's and Boddington's and Tetley's and the shit's expensive. I like to session about 60+ ozs in 20 minutes, and then take a bong snap. And I can't do that with c02 beers anymore. Not without puking it all up.

And thus I've concluded that microbreweries everywhere should start packing their ales with nitrogen.

4>0rings
08-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Whatevers $15 for a 18-20 pack.

BRHornet45
08-14-2010, 11:41 PM
sons just drink whatever gets you drunk. stop with all of this ridiculous nonsense trying to sound unique by claiming you drink all of these different types of beers that everyone knows taste like complete dog shit.

4>0rings
08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
sons just drink whatever gets you drunk. stop with all of this ridiculous nonsense trying to sound unique by claiming you drink all of these different types of beers that everyone knows taste like complete dog shit.
When you're white, you're white.

BRHornet45
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM
When you're white, you're white.

hit the bong tonight?

Sense
08-15-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm not white, but I appreciate good beer

silverblk mystix
08-15-2010, 01:38 AM
There isn't a bunch of choices here in south texas...

I tried a bunch of great ones in so cal and in northern cali/sierra nevada...

but since I've been back to texas I have found these are alright---and they sure beat the crap outta the miller/bud/crap out there...

they are;

Shiner Hefeveizen....pretty cheap and still tasty and stout

12 packs at HEB are usually only 12-14 bux

Gordon Biersch---either the blonde or the Hefe...pretty good -also found at some HEB'S

and my newest cheap fave---

The sierra nevada Kellerwiess Hefe

pretty damn good and cheap

the thing about the buds and millers is that you can drink about 10 and still only have about a mild to semi buzzz

but drink two or three pints of a good hefe and you have a strong sweet buzz that lasts for a good while and it really just makes more sense to get your money's worth...

TE
08-15-2010, 02:36 AM

BR knows what's up.

baseline bum
08-15-2010, 02:51 AM
BR knows what's up.

His head up his ass?

TE
08-15-2010, 02:52 AM
His head up his ass?

I set him up for that one didn't?

Darn, sorry BR.
:toast anyhow

monosylab1k
08-15-2010, 12:12 PM
had 512 pecan porter for the first time the other day. pretty good :tu

Ignignokt
08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Had a St Horny Pablos Angry Roofer Chipotle Mango Chutney Stout the other day :tu

Ignignokt
08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
While I agree that Steel Reserve isn't real beer - Reinheitsgebot is more of a marketing ploy than it is a anything in Germany these days. It's no longer an in-effect law and only in Bavaria does anybody really seem to give a crap. Even then, technically Weissbiers would be in violation of Reinheitsgebot. Tons of awesome funky American craft beers (that use other natural ingredients) would also be in violation.

Germany has a new, but slowly evolving craft beer scene themselves, but beer as a whole is down over there. I suspect partly because the Purity Law tradition has effectively stifled any innovation in brewing. German's have been drinking the same beer for 500 years (but they are definitely the best at making those particular traditional styles!).

This is making me thirsty... I'm thinkful I'll be drinking a lot of great beer tonight!

FREE MARKETS

The same for France's wine industry.

leemajors
08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey Scott, went back to Freetail last week. Friends and I took home three growlers of th Chamomile Verana, it was excellent! Props for a very tasty, unique beer.

Rogue
08-21-2010, 10:17 PM
had 512 pecan porter for the first time the other day. pretty good :tu

but how does an unemployed korean engineer afford such expensive beers bro?

leemajors
08-21-2010, 11:04 PM
but how does an unemployed korean engineer afford such expensive beers bro?

$5 pint

scott
08-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks! Glad you liked it!

blizz
08-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm still trying to find

http://www.tucher.de/tucher_int/uploads/pics/ProduktpaletteWeizen2008_mittel.jpg

here in town. I don't think anyone brings it down here anymore so I'm probably going to have to order it online. I haven't had any in about 7 years and I'm dying for some. On a side note, I'm going to have to check out this Freetail joint. Looks like my kind of place.

CubanMustGo
08-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't think Tucher can be imported into Texas any more. IIRC they got into a spat with the TABC and Tucher (or the importer) said fuck it. It's a shame b/c it's great stuff.

TABC gets their panties in a wad whenever an import label doesn't contain exactly whatever they say it should (e.g. most German biers must be labeled 'malt liquor' or 'ale' because their alcohol content way exceeds the watered-down standard they have for beer). If you find someplace that will ship Tucher to TX post the URL here.

leemajors
08-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think Tucher can be imported into Texas any more. IIRC they got into a spat with the TABC and Tucher (or the importer) said fuck it. It's a shame b/c it's great stuff.

TABC gets their panties in a wad whenever an import label doesn't contain exactly whatever they say it should (e.g. most German biers must be labeled 'malt liquor' or 'ale' because their alcohol content way exceeds the watered-down standard they have for beer). If you find someplace that will ship Tucher to TX post the URL here.

Domestic labels from other states too, that's why we don't see some great products from California, like Double Bastard.

blizz
08-27-2010, 03:31 AM
I can't find a place that will ship it to TX. We may have to make some sort of arrangement with a ST.com member to send us some. I'm in for a case if someone wants to get us some.

Wifebeater
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't always drink beer

but when I do....

I savagely beat my wife and child

stay hammered my friends

balli
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
^ :lol

cornbread
09-28-2010, 08:28 PM
My two favorite Colorado beers. The sampler at Oskar Blues is awesome. So many great beers to taste. Great Divide also has a cool little bar at their brewery.
http://www.brewography.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dales-pale-ale-4.bmp
http://www.maltandvine.com/images/401.JPG

leemajors
09-28-2010, 08:31 PM
My two favorite Colorado beers. The sampler at Oskar Blues is awesome. So many great beers to taste. Great Divide also has a cool little bar at their brewery.
http://www.brewography.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dales-pale-ale-4.bmp
http://www.maltandvine.com/images/401.JPG

Dale's is pretty good, I don't like their prices getting jacked up though. It was 6.99 a 6 when it first came to Texas. My buddy brought back some 6 packs of Avery IPA in cans from Denver a few weeks ago, it's nice to pop open a can and not grimace in anticipation of what is in it :lol

cornbread
09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Dale's is pretty good, I don't like their prices getting jacked up though. It was 6.99 a 6 when it first came to Texas. My buddy brought back some 6 packs of Avery IPA in cans from Denver a few weeks ago, it's nice to pop open a can and not grimace in anticipation of what is in it :lol

Haven't tried Avery IPA yet. I will definitely give it a try. :toast

baseline bum
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Anyone tried Snake River Zonker Stout? I fell in love with that brew when I was up at Yellowstone/GrandTeton last month.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2451/zonker.jpg

Jekka
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Anyone tried Snake River Zonker Stout? I fell in love with that brew when I was up at Yellowstone/GrandTeton last month.

Did you get a chance to try anything from the Grand Teton Brewing Company? When I was in Yellowstone last summer, I pretty much fell in love with their Double Vision Doppelbock, and the Howling Wolf Weizenbock was a close second. They were both in liter bottles, but so. freaking. good.

baseline bum
09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Did you get a chance to try anything from the Grand Teton Brewing Company? When I was in Yellowstone last summer, I pretty much fell in love with their Double Vision Doppelbock, and the Howling Wolf Weizenbock was a close second. They were both in liter bottles, but so. freaking. good.

Nah, I tried a few of the beers from Snake River Brewing Company and thought the stout was far and away the best, and I tried a brown ale called Moose Drool that all the hikers on backpacker.com were recommending (it sucked!). I'll have to remember to try GT Brewing Company when I head out there next (I certainly want to get some more time in Grand Teton; I found out you can do a guided climb of The Grand for like $850 !)

cornbread
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM

I've got some in the fridge right now. It's a little much for me during the summer though but perfect when it gets colder outside.

leemajors
12-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Went to Freetail on Sunday afternoon for the anniversary, and like each time I visited I was very impressed by their beer. Two very solid wild ales I had to take home growlers of. They are solidly the best craft brewery in TX imo. I was also a huge fan of the Fresh Hop Hop C - good work Scott and co!

CubanMustGo
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm still trying to find

http://www.tucher.de/tucher_int/uploads/pics/ProduktpaletteWeizen2008_mittel.jpg

here in town. I don't think anyone brings it down here anymore so I'm probably going to have to order it online. I haven't had any in about 7 years and I'm dying for some.

We were in Germany at the end of September and had some in Nurnberg and Rothenberg ob Tauber. It was good, real good, especially on tap in the Meistersinger Halle. Yep, go to a symphony concert, they have bier on tap and warm pretzels in the lobby. I could SO live in Germany.

TheManFromAcme
12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Give me a BODDINGTON'S anyday.....:toast

Fpoonsie
12-28-2010, 03:37 PM
So, I caught onto how fucking delicious Shiner Cheer was extremely late and was only able to pick up one. measly. six pack Christmas Eve before they were either all sold out or pulled from the shelves. Anyone know where I might be able to find any or what exactly happens to this line after Christmas?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
So, I caught onto how fucking delicious Shiner Cheer was extremely late and was only able to pick up one. measly. six pack Christmas Eve before they were either all sold out or pulled from the shelves. Anyone know where I might be able to find any or what exactly happens to this line after Christmas?

I've seen them in stores for the past week or so. Saw some 6's last night in fact.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I've got a 6 of Brooklyn Brewery's Winter Ale and a bottle of Dogfish Head's Theombora that I'm waiting to tear into. I had a nasty stomach virus this Christmas that prevented me from doing so.

Fpoonsie
12-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I've seen them in stores for the past week or so. Saw some 6's last night in fact.

Really? Goddammit. I've been to 5 stores so far, and the "holiday brew" section of Shiner has been cleared out in each. Maybe I'll check a liquor store.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Really? Goddammit. I've been to 5 stores so far, and the "holiday brew" section of Shiner has been cleared out in each. Maybe I'll check a liquor store.

But i'm in Dallas, so..........

And yes, Cheer is pretty damn good. A little too good. This pub up here has it on tap and that's even better :toast

Fpoonsie
12-28-2010, 03:55 PM
But i'm in Dallas, so..........

And yes, Cheer is pretty damn good. A little too good. This pub up here has it on tap and that's even better :toast

So am I! In Denton, to be exact. Which pub? The Saucer in Addison?

baseline bum
12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Just picked up a bomber of Stone Lucky Basartd (yes, that is how it's spelled :lol) last night and can't wait to try it later: it's a blend of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard. I never have had any luck finding Double Bastard in Texas though. :(

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
So am I! In Denton, to be exact. Which pub? The Saucer in Addison?

Fox and Hound. :lol I guess I misused pub.

Bukefal
12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.rutradition.ru/ddata/image-image/738.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4903849109_ab9531ec80.jpg

Im a huge lover of dark beers and this Czech dark beer is very good.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
no description?

LaMarcus Bryant
12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Has anyone tried all the Sam Adams Imperial Series? I've tried Imperial White and Double Bock. Both are terribly delicious. Imperial White is one of my favorite beers. They only come in 4 packs though. Bout 9-10% ABV

symple19
12-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Just picked up a bomber of Stone Lucky Basartd (yes, that is how it's spelled :lol) last night and can't wait to try it later: it's a blend of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Double Bastard. I never have had any luck finding Double Bastard in Texas though. :(

That's a whole bunch of glory in a bottle. Do you have trouble finding Stone there in Texas, BB?

Life isn't worth living without Stone's many fine efforts. Not sure I could survive without a Double or two every few weeks. After getting hooked on Stone while living in Cali, I'm fortunate that the whole line can be found here in Lexington Ky, where I am now. Got a Liquor Barn within walking distance, thank goodness

My favorite Stone brew of the moment, though, is this one:http://www.thirstease.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/stone-ruination.jpg

symple19
12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's the Stout I've been hooked on, from North Coast Brewing Co

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout:http://cmsimg.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CN&Date=20101103&Category=LIFE09&ArtNo=101102056&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0

leemajors
12-28-2010, 05:46 PM

In the past the word "masturbatory" on the label has been enough for the TABC to deny its sale in TX. It's still up in front of the label people, but probably won't go through. The Lukcy Basartd is pretty good, 13th anniversary of Bastard. If you can still find some of Sierra's 30th Grand Cru you should pick that up too. Boulevard's Barrel Aged Quad is also very tasty. I'm waiting for Freetail's black IPA too.

symple19
12-28-2010, 05:48 PM
While Ky may be the epicenter of Bourbon, it's certainly nothing compared to NoCal when it comes to beer.

Best stuff I've gotten my hands on since I've been here is this:http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2010-11-16-KentuckyAle.jpg

Bukefal
12-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Another great Czech beer. Krakonos from Trutnov. Together with the Krusovice dark beer definitely one of my favorites. :king I love Czech beers.

http://hospudka.net/wp-content/krakonos.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4903849109_ab9531ec80.jpg

baseline bum
12-28-2010, 06:40 PM
That's a whole bunch of glory in a bottle. Do you have trouble finding Stone there in Texas, BB?

Life isn't worth living without Stone's many fine efforts. Not sure I could survive without a Double or two every few weeks. After getting hooked on Stone while living in Cali, I'm fortunate that the whole line can be found here in Lexington Ky, where I am now. Got a Liquor Barn within walking distance, thank goodness

My favorite Stone brew of the moment, though, is this one:http://www.thirstease.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/stone-ruination.jpg

That's my favorite beer period. Thankfully, Ruination can be consistently found at a couple of places around here. The Stone beers that can be found here all year are:

- Arrogant Bastard Ale (oaked and regular)
- IPA
- Ruination
- Smoked Porter
- Pale Ale

baseline bum
12-28-2010, 06:47 PM
In the past the word "masturbatory" on the label has been enough for the TABC to deny its sale in TX. It's still up in front of the label people, but probably won't go through. The Lukcy Basartd is pretty good, 13th anniversary of Bastard. If you can still find some of Sierra's 30th Grand Cru you should pick that up too. Boulevard's Barrel Aged Quad is also very tasty. I'm waiting for Freetail's black IPA too.

Fuck. :pctoss

leemajors
12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
That's my favorite beer period. Thankfully, Ruination can be consistently found at a couple of places around here. The Stone beers that can be found here all year are:

- Arrogant Bastard Ale (oaked and regular)
- IPA
- Ruination
- Smoked Porter
- Pale Ale

Sublimely Self Righteous is here nearly year round too. I'd also recommend Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye if they carry it at Spec's in SA.

scott
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Went to Freetail on Sunday afternoon for the anniversary, and like each time I visited I was very impressed by their beer. Two very solid wild ales I had to take home growlers of. They are solidly the best craft brewery in TX imo. I was also a huge fan of the Fresh Hop Hop C - good work Scott and co!

Just saw this post. Good seeing you again Lee - thanks again for the kind words. Are you on our newsletter? Address if one our site to join (don't want to put it here for spam reasons). Best reason to join is the updates on what's coming. Old Bat Rastard comes out Saturday and we have a Prickly Pear Wild Ale/Lambic hitting late Jan amongst other things.

Thanks again!

Edit: Black IPA will prob hit next week. We were discussing the game plan today for Hopothesis D. We decided the "D" will stand for dark- so a Imperial Black IPA essentially.

scott
12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Here's the Stout I've been hooked on, from North Coast Brewing Co

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout:http://cmsimg.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CN&Date=20101103&Category=LIFE09&ArtNo=101102056&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0

A great Impy Stout. I think it's up there with rare ones like Darkness and Abyss, without the trouble of trying to actually get one!

MannyIsGod
12-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Hypothesis C was probably my favorite beer ever, Scott. Keep up the good work.

Sense
12-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Damnit, I miss Specs...

I went to Flying Saucer in San Antonio with my brother, and ended up with a 65$ tab..

NASpurs
12-28-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't drink alcohol but I do like to taste different beers. I'm quite new at this experimenting different types but I do like the Blue Moon Pale Ale beer so far.

baseline bum
12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
That's a whole bunch of glory in a bottle.

Damn, that Lucky Basartd is amazing; I might have to go buy the other 6-7 bottles Specs has. :lol

Sense
12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
I've been wanting to try Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous..

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvovCN4RTjskid-BzABRHqu6Yxqvc2Ty8QjzkoSjjGu3bxiFpLPQ

leemajors
12-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Just saw this post. Good seeing you again Lee - thanks again for the kind words. Are you on our newsletter? Address if one our site to join (don't want to put it here for spam reasons). Best reason to join is the updates on what's coming. Old Bat Rastard comes out Saturday and we have a Prickly Pear Wild Ale/Lambic hitting late Jan amongst other things.

Thanks again!

Edit: Black IPA will prob hit next week. We were discussing the game plan today for Hopothesis D. We decided the "D" will stand for dark- so a Imperial Black IPA essentially.

Awesome, I end up bringing more people with me each time I go! I'm able to keep up with the releases cause of the facebook updates but I will get on that list too.

symple19
12-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Bear Republic

For whatever reason, I can't find any Bear Republic in KY. Considering this line (especially the Red Rocket) was probably my third fave behind Lagunitas and Stone, it's a real bummer. Have to get friends to send it along instead

LaMarcus Bryant
12-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Hypothesis C was probably my favorite beer ever, Scott. Keep up the good work.

Scott's pretty overrated, but then again you always did love him.

Sense
12-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Has anyone tried all the Sam Adams Imperial Series? I've tried Imperial White and Double Bock. Both are terribly delicious. Imperial White is one of my favorite beers. They only come in 4 packs though. Bout 9-10% ABV

I'm pretty sure I tried one of them last time I went to Flying Saucer... Imperial Stout? Not sure, there was definitely a lot of flavor in it, but just not my cup of tea.

TheTruth
12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Scott's pretty overrated, but then again you always did love him.

The Hypothesis C is a damn good beer.

leemajors
12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
The Hypothesis C is a damn good beer.

I believe it's Hopothesis ;)

PuttPutt
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Not sure if you can get these in TX, but I've been really enjoying Pike Kilt Lifter lately.

Here's a link to their website
http://www.pikebrewing.com/index_flash.shtml

CosmicCowboy
12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2779/4522300568_56af27e444.jpg

One of my favorites. Slammed many of these back when I had the condo in CB.

leemajors
12-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Not sure if you can get these in TX, but I've been really enjoying Pike Kilt Lifter lately.

Here's a link to their website
http://www.pikebrewing.com/index_flash.shtml

They have Pike at Spec's in Austin.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I was kidding.

Next time in SA I gotta visit this Free Tail place.

koriwhat
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I was kidding.

i keep hearing about that place... try bj's out sometime too. good food and beer.

MannyIsGod
12-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I was kidding.

You should go to SA next time I go in March. I'll buy you a beer or two and we can crominate Scott's bar.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
tbh, I went to FreeTail last week and really wasn't too impressed. All I tried was the beer so I'm only commenting on that. Wasn't too crazy about the smoky varieties. Settled on the porter even though I wasn't in a porter kinda mood.

Capt Bringdown
12-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Beer Chang
Best drank with ice, as pictured.
Known to induce wicked "Changovers."
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_isXreVim0xE/ROvKaDUEABI/AAAAAAAAApY/zwQCZ98IOfY/IMG_0814.JPG

boutons_deux
12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
"I don't drink beer often, my friend, but when I do" ... I had my first India Pale Ale over Christmas. What a ton of flavor, very Indian herb-y.

Bud Light harsh horse piss is devoid of any flavor. Sells on the power of marketing alone, esp to ignorant college kids.

Sense
12-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Went to Specs today... and I noticed a new dogfish head beer and decided to try it.

behold!!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/dogfish-head-burton-baton.jpg&sa=X&ei=FWEdTaiMO4ranAeMjPD0DQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFP79uQbkxd5R5zCaT2b1OOje-D1w

in my top 3 beers right now, just amazing...

sucks that it was 16 bucks a 4 pack.. but it is delicious.

baseline bum
12-31-2010, 12:22 AM
"I don't drink beer often, my friend, but when I do" ... I had my first India Pale Ale over Christmas. What a ton of flavor, very Indian herb-y.

Bud Light harsh horse piss is devoid of any flavor. Sells on the power of marketing alone, esp to ignorant college kids.

Try this IPA; this is easily the best IPA out there that isn't a huge hop bomb.

http://legalbeer.com/images/stone%20ipa.jpg

Sense
12-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Try this IPA; this is easily the best IPA out there that isn't a huge hop bomb.

http://legalbeer.com/images/stone%20ipa.jpg

What about dogfish head's 60 min? or Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale?

baseline bum
12-31-2010, 01:08 AM
What about dogfish head's 60 min? or Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale?

I like Stone IPA way better than Dogfish Head's 60 and 90 Minute IPAs. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and Celebration are excellent, but still inferior to Stone IPA IMO. I love the SN Pale Ale (it's the beer that made me start liking beer for more than just getting shitfaced :lol), but I wouldn't consider it to be too much like an IPA.

Sense
12-31-2010, 01:18 AM
I like Stone IPA way better than Dogfish Head's 60 and 90 Minute IPAs. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and Celebration are excellent, but still inferior to Stone IPA IMO. I love the SN Pale Ale (it's the beer that made me start liking beer for more than just getting shitfaced :lol), but I wouldn't consider it to be too much like an IPA.

I have to admit I have never tried Stone's IPA, I have tried Ruination IPA.. and it was fantastic, but I like hoppier beer, I'm not too fond of lighter beer.

That is why I enjoy 90 minute over 60 minute..

and Torpedo over the Pale Ale...

I guess I have to try it at some point..

best IPA so far for me is definitely Burton Baton! :) an imperial IPA..

scott
12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Check out Ska Decadence IPA. Green Flash West Coast IPA is also a great one.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is one of my favorite year round DIPAs, and you should be able to get Moylan's Hopsicle pretty readily at the Gabriel's Superstore

leemajors
12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
I have to admit I have never tried Stone's IPA, I have tried Ruination IPA.. and it was fantastic, but I like hoppier beer, I'm not too fond of lighter beer.

That is why I enjoy 90 minute over 60 minute..

and Torpedo over the Pale Ale...

I guess I have to try it at some point..

best IPA so far for me is definitely Burton Baton! :) an imperial IPA..

Ruination is one of the hoppiest beers out there, and while its color is light it's definitely not a lighter beer at 7.7 %. The Burton is also a blend of an English old ale and an Imperial IPA. I am not a huge Dogfish fan, but I do respect what they are trying to do. I don't really care for the 60 or 90 minute IPAs, they taste muddled to me.

leemajors
12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Check out Ska Decadence IPA. Green Flash West Coast IPA is also a great one.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is one of my favorite year round DIPAs, and you should be able to get Moylan's Hopsicle pretty readily at the Gabriel's Superstore

The Stoopid is great, and the Hopsickle is awesome. I have liked every Moylan's I have tried - the imperial stout is incredible too. I am going by both of those breweries in February on my way up to Russian River. Have you guys messed with hop extract any? If i remember correctly the Stoopid utilizes it.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Scott do you throw out drunkards at your place? Or can we be rowdy with impunity cuz we are ST alumni?

scott
12-31-2010, 03:55 PM
The Stoopid is great, and the Hopsickle is awesome. I have liked every Moylan's I have tried - the imperial stout is incredible too. I am going by both of those breweries in February on my way up to Russian River. Have you guys messed with hop extract any? If i remember correctly the Stoopid utilizes it.

I've read about another pretty high-profile DIPA that uses hop extract (can't remember the name). It's has a much higher efficiency than whole hops and pellets and could be useful for bittering, but we've never used it. I'm not sure how I feel about extract...

scott
12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Scott do you throw out drunkards at your place? Or can we be rowdy with impunity cuz we are ST alumni?

There is a fine line between fun rowdiness and flat out douchebaggery. I advise all that if you choose to walk that line, do so with caution.

scott
12-31-2010, 03:58 PM
A customer brought me a bottle of Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin Outmeal Stout that I think I'll crack open tonight. I think I'm also going to crack a 2007 JW Lees Harvest aged in Sherry Barrels. Got a couple of Ananke bottles and a Russian River Consecration waiting. Need to stop by the store for something hoppy to make sure this evening is well rounded from a beer perspective.

CharlieMac
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
When I worked at Pappadeaxs and other high end restaurants I'd would pretend to like random unknown beers. Now I stick to shit that makes sense with wings or a steak like Michelobe, PBR, Bud Light, and Dos.

TE
01-05-2011, 12:40 AM
tbh, any samuel adams beer makes my day/night.

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Anyone ever hear of a beer called Hempen Ale?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Anyone ever hear of a beer called Hempen Ale?
Um.....

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Um.....

It's a real beer. :lol I had it at the Beer Festival in Denver several years ago.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
It's a real beer. :lol I had it at the Beer Festival in Denver several years ago.
:lol What I was getting at was, is there hemp in it?

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
:lol What I was getting at was, is there hemp in it?

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION

Hemp seeds are an integral part of the brewing process of this unique beer. Hemp is a relative of hops and provides unique hop-like bitters to this brew. We also use select 2-Row malted barley, Caramel 40, Chocolate and Carapils malts and Cascade hops.

:hat

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I see.

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I see.

I just checked. This beer has retired. :depressed

leemajors
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
tbh, any samuel adams beer makes my day/night.

Meh, much better stuff out there.

baseline bum
01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Sublimely Self Righteous is here nearly year round too. I'd also recommend Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye if they carry it at Spec's in SA.

I picked up the last single of Hop Rod that Specs had, and it was outstanding. Not as hoppy as I was expecting based on the name and then the way it smelled when I opened it, but is definitely an incredible brew that I'll be getting again.

DesignatedT
01-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Boulevard Unfiltered.

leemajors
01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
I picked up the last single of Hop Rod that Specs had, and it was outstanding. Not as hoppy as I was expecting based on the name and then the way it smelled when I opened it, but is definitely an incredible brew that I'll be getting again.

It's a pretty hoppy beer at ~80 IBUs, but the flavor of the rye may help mask it a bit. Racer X and their Apex, two of their strong IPAs are also outstanding, but aren't bottled. They have them on tap occasionally here at the Draught House in Austin.

baseline bum
01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
It's a pretty hoppy beer at ~80 IBUs, but the flavor of the rye may help mask it a bit. Racer X and their Apex, two of their strong IPAs are also outstanding, but aren't bottled. They have them on tap occasionally here at the Draught House in Austin.

I got tons of hops in the nose and they were noticeable but not exceptionally strong in the finish. Still a great beer though.

Bukefal
01-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I picked up some beers today. Some good old Czech beers, but also some new ones I'm going to try this week.

Some of the new ones;
http://i.imgur.com/YqskN.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ViNYB.pnghttp://www.mexico.vg/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mexican-beer-negra-modelo-01.jpg

Any good?

scott
01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Anchor Steam is a good stand by session beer. Negra Modelo is about as good as Mexican beer gets.

Never had the Zeitgeist and I'm not a big fan of Brewdog, but I love the schwarzbier style. Let us know what you think.

Winehole23
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2703698027_7a11f6060f.jpg

Fpoonsie
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
http://www.thebeerfather.com/wp-content/gallery/pranqster/pranqster2.jpg

Had this over the weekend. Pretty tasty.

Bukefal
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Anchor Steam is a good stand by session beer. Negra Modelo is about as good as Mexican beer gets.

Never had the Zeitgeist and I'm not a big fan of Brewdog, but I love the schwarzbier style. Let us know what you think.

The Zeitgeist is nice. Nice flavour, very dark and strong and a bit chocolate-like aroma. I like it :toast

The Reckoning
01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
negra modelo is fucking tasty. especially if you have it with some enchiladas.

The Reckoning
01-11-2011, 12:30 AM
my 21st bday in 30 minutes. going downtown to sample some of these.

BruceBowenFan
01-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Drink it up man and stay safe out there.

Jekka
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I only have one St Arnold's Winter Stout left from the holidays in TX. Damn those people for not shipping outside the state.

slayermin
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
A buddy of mine tried his first Smithwick's the other day and he got sick. lol He was pissed at me for making him try it.

Peroni and that Czech Urquell is pretty good. But I love my Stella Artois.

baseline bum
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Pilsner Urquell is great stuff. Anyone drink Duvel?

http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/ProductImagesFull/10491.jpg

That stuff has enormous head retention down to the last drop.

Bukefal
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I picked up some beers this weekend. from 2 of the 7 trappist monastry breweries in Belgium and the Netherlands.

La Trappe dubbel. The only trappist brewery in the Netherlands and Westmalle dubbel trappist from Belgium.

http://agonyshorthand.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/WestmalleDubbel-734548.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/SjEjs.png

So good :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Sig worthy :toast

baseline bum
01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Sig worthy :toast

LOL. Seriously, awesome beer though.

JudynTX
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
OMG! Please, somebody try it and let me know how it tastes. :lol

If its decision to start selling groceries wasn't enough of a sign that Walgreens is trying to shake up its image and reach a new audience, now comes news that the drugstore chain has begun selling its own private-label beer.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Walgreens has been rolling out the beer, called Big Flats 1901, in more than 4,600 of its 7,655 U.S. locations.

Since private-label booze is rarely purchased because of superior taste, Walgreens is selling the suds cheap, around $3 for a six-pack and around $11.50 for a case of 24 cans.

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/walgreens-to-sell-their-own-brand-of-beer-for-50can.html

RandomGuy
01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
my 21st bday in 30 minutes. going downtown to sample some of these.

So how'd it go?

Get thee unto the local store and findeth some Brother Thelonius ale.

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm

Viva Las Espuelas
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
OMG! Please, somebody try it and let me know how it tastes. :lol

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/walgreens-to-sell-their-own-brand-of-beer-for-50can.html

Eek. I don't think I'd try it. A friend of mine did a post on Facebook about it but he was happy simply because of the price.
Big Flat 1901? :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Pilsner Urquell is great stuff. Anyone drink Duvel?

http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/ProductImagesFull/10491.jpg

Damn. I saw the price of that and realized it was only a 4-pack. I'll have to be pretty drunk to pull the trigger on that now. Plus I'm not sure a banana taste in beer would be all too tasty to me.

JudynTX
01-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Eek. I don't think I'd try it. A friend of mine did a post on Facebook about it but he was happy simply because of the price.
Big Flat 1901? :lol

You can't beat $3 for a 6-pack. :lol

baseline bum
01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Damn. I saw the price of that and realized it was only a 4-pack. I'll have to be pretty drunk to pull the trigger on that now. Plus I'm not sure a banana taste in beer would be all too tasty to me.

You gotta be thinking of a different beer when you're talking about a banana taste; Duvel is nothing like that. It is crazy expensive though. As for banana flavor in beer, I have only had two beers that had it. One was called banana bread beer or something like that, and it was comically bad. The other is Paulaner Hefeweizen, which has a little bit of banana hiding behind a pretty strong wheat flavor, and it's outstanding.

leemajors
01-28-2011, 02:26 PM
You gotta be thinking of a different beer when you're talking about a banana taste; Duvel is nothing like that. It is crazy expensive though. As for banana flavor in beer, I have only had two beers that had it. One was called banana bread beer or something like that, and it was comically bad. The other is Paulaner Hefeweizen, which has a little bit of banana hiding behind a pretty strong wheat flavor, and it's outstanding.

Diacetyl and phenols can impart that flavor/aroma. Fermentation by products.

In other news, Freetail's bottle release is next saturday and I am looking forward to it:

22 oz bombers of Old Bat Rastard, Barrel Aged Old Bat Rastard, and Fortuna Roja (barrel aged prickly pear wild ale). Bottles on sale promptly at 11:30am. Limit 2 per person.

The Reckoning
01-28-2011, 04:18 PM
So how'd it go?

Get thee unto the local store and findeth some Brother Thelonius ale.

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm

looks like a great ale.

it was back when it was cold as hell and it was a monday so there was noone on 6th street. drank scotch at midnight, shiner, couple of lone stars, ziegenbock, jager, tequila, guinness and then took b-day shots of some drink i had no idea what was in it...all in about 2 hours.

threw up all over 4cc's apartment :lol

scott
01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm going to be cracking into to some cans of Southern Star Buried Hatchet Imperial Stout tonight. Great people and great beers from Conroe, TX.

scott
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Diacetyl and phenols can impart that flavor/aroma. Fermentation by products.

In other news, Freetail's bottle release is next saturday and I am looking forward to it:

I just dropped off the artwork at the printer for the Fortuna Roja bottles this morning. It's some bad ass artwork. And if you've missed the Spurs logo from the early 90's, you'll be happy :lol

The beer is tasting great too

leemajors
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I just dropped off the artwork at the printer for the Fortuna Roja bottles this morning. It's some bad ass artwork. And if you've missed the Spurs logo from the early 90's, you'll be happy :lol

Awesome. The two wilds you were serving for the anniversary were great, I don't doubt this will be too.

Fpoonsie
01-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Reeeeeally? You may want to keep the actual look of the finished product in the dark, but if there's any chance of a Spurs-esque beer floating around, I'd love to pick up a few bottles, even if it's just the retro color scheme...

scott
01-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm going to post a picture of the label on our FB tomorrow. It's not really Spurs related, the colors just reminded me of the old logo

Sense
01-28-2011, 11:00 PM
looks like a great ale.

it was back when it was cold as hell and it was a monday so there was noone on 6th street. drank scotch at midnight, shiner, couple of lone stars, ziegenbock, jager, tequila, guinness and then took b-day shots of some drink i had no idea what was in it...all in about 2 hours.

threw up all over 4cc's apartment :lol

So you only had one decent beer...

and did totally the opposite of what you said you were doing :P

To try some of the beers on this thread you'd have to go to flying saucer or something..

The Reckoning
01-29-2011, 01:04 AM
So you only had one decent beer...

and did totally the opposite of what you said you were doing :P

To try some of the beers on this thread you'd have to go to flying saucer or something..

i decided itd be more appropriate to do a "texas tour" of sorts that night. i do check back on this thread though if i feel like buying a 6 of something new for the evening. and i would go to places like the flying saucer but its a good 20 blocks or so in the other direction, and you cant beat the e-bus to downtown.

Sense
01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm having this beast tonight... after nights of looking for it... stupid Lufkin..

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvHItpGLq7uiagMu0W5wlSAItxV6Spi mAH3rxHIaE77P4dlcyuDQ

TE
01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm having this beast tonight... after nights of looking for it... stupid Lufkin..

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvHItpGLq7uiagMu0W5wlSAItxV6Spi mAH3rxHIaE77P4dlcyuDQ

I'm downing this right now.......:wow

Sense
01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm downing this right now.......:wow

Excellent choice! :king

baseline bum
01-30-2011, 04:01 AM

An excellent IPA: one of my favorite SN brews. Last time I was in California I drank nothing but that, as I couldn't find anywhere in the Sierras that had Stone and it was right before Torpedo started really showing up in Texas. SN's Celebration Ale is another really good IPA they make, though I'm definitely a bigger fan of Torpedo.

As for what Viva said about Duvel, I did notice it had a bit of a banana flavor when I looked for it as I was drinking one watching the game earlier (though I think it has a stronger apple-like flavor).

Sense
01-30-2011, 05:27 AM
An excellent IPA: one of my favorite SN brews. Last time I was in California I drank nothing but that, as I couldn't find anywhere in the Sierras that had Stone and it was right before Torpedo started really showing up in Texas. SN's Celebration Ale is another really good IPA they make, though I'm definitely a bigger fan of Torpedo.

As for what Viva said about Duvel, I did notice it had a bit of a banana flavor when I looked for it as I was drinking one watching the game earlier (though I think it has a stronger apple-like flavor).

Yeah this one, 90 min from Dogfish head, and Ruiniation IPA from Stone are my favorite IPA's...

Sense
01-31-2011, 06:46 AM
I didn't know about this show til recently, not entirely sure when it started or what-not.. but as a beer fanatic I think everyone who enjoys beer or liquor should watch it..

http://www.lofreeq.net/biteme-tv/images/eatdrinkblog/2010/DrinkingMadeEasy.jpg

for those of you that don't know about it, they basically go all over the US trying out beers and drinks from certain cities and visiting breweries as well. Quite funny

koriwhat
01-31-2011, 06:50 AM
i can't wait... february 5th i'll be going on some brewery tour with a few friends for $5 which gets us entry in to the place and 3 beers, we can buy more while we are there.

anyhow cheers!

oh, and any lagunitas fans in here?

leemajors
01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
I didn't know about this show til recently, not entirely sure when it started or what-not.. but as a beer fanatic I think everyone who enjoys beer or liquor should watch it..

http://www.lofreeq.net/biteme-tv/images/eatdrinkblog/2010/DrinkingMadeEasy.jpg

for those of you that don't know about it, they basically go all over the US trying out beers and drinks from certain cities and visiting breweries as well. Quite funny

I can't stand that dude or the stupid sound effects on his show, it seems like he has learned nothing despite all his touring. On top of that I hate him for being able to make a living doing that. His previous show had the same shtick.

Sense
01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
I can't stand that dude or the stupid sound effects on his show, it seems like he has learned nothing despite all his touring. On top of that I hate him for being able to make a living doing that. His previous show had the same shtick.

The show seems funny to me, I don't really watch it for the comedian, I watch it for the breweries and the drinks and the outrageous amount of food the other guy has to eat...

The dudes can drink though.