PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Utah's financial problems have been solved...

Girasuck
07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks to other teams in the luxury tax and the CBA.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705316264/Jazz-finances-not-quite-so-bleak.html

Even though their payroll for next season currently stands at more than $73 million, not everything is as ugly as it may seem when it comes to the Jazz's checking account.

When luxury-tax payments from seven teams (New York, Dallas, Cleveland, Boston, Portland, Phoenix and the Los Angeles Lakers) that exceeded the NBA's team payroll overspending threshold this past season were divvied earlier this week among the league's other 23 teams, the Jazz were on the receiving end of just more than $2.9 million.

And on July 29, ESPN.com reported this week, the Jazz and every other NBA team will receive another $6,467,847.

That money is their take from a little-known collective-bargaining-agreement provision in which up to eight percent of player salary is held in escrow throughout the season, and then — depending on whether league-wide basketball-related income hits a preset level — essentially is either redistributed to teams in equal shares or finally given to the players.

This past season, because basketball-related income was below projections, teams were the beneficiaries.

Moreover, the Jazz will not have to contribute $363,087 to the escrow fund for next season.

In all, for the month, that's nearly $10 million in either cash received or money that doesn't have to be spent — funds, that is, the Jazz may want to save should they have to pay the luxury tax themselves next season.

The tax system calls for teams to pay a $1 tax for every $1 they are over the threshold, which for next season is set at $69.92 million.

If the Jazz retain restricted free agent Paul Millsap, sign a requisite 13th player next season and keep each of the 11 players they currently have under contract through the end of next season, they'd be facing a tax in the $10-to-$12 million range.

So basically we match Portland's offer with this "free" money and then take our time moving Boozer. Worst case scenario is Boozer plays for us this year and walks next year. We get cap relief and don't lose Millsap. Hopefully we can deal Boozer before the trade deadline but if not, no biggie. We still have the 2010 New York pick as well so trading Boozer with that pick could get us a nice return.

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 06:18 PM
What have you been hearing? Does it seem likely Utah will match Millsap's offer from Portalnd?

Girasuck
07-12-2009, 06:22 PM
What have you been hearing? Does it seem likely Utah will match Millsap's offer from Portalnd?

Jazz FO mentioned a few weeks ago that they'd match any offer given to Millsap if it wasn't above the offer they saw fit. They didn't mention what that limit was but they stressed that they wanted Millsap in a Jazz uniform for years to come. Now with this money available for this year, I'd be shocked if we didn't match Portland's offer because it wouldn't hurt us this year and Boozer would come off the books next year.

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Jazz FO mentioned a few weeks ago that they'd match any offer given to Millsap if it wasn't above the offer they saw fit. They didn't mention what that limit was but they stressed that they wanted Millsap in a Jazz uniform for years to come. Now with this money available for this year, I'd be shocked if we didn't match Portland's offer because it wouldn't hurt us this year and Boozer would come off the books next year.

Well, I think the Jazz would be wise to resign Millsap. He played hard when Boozer was out with his injuries and sure looks like he's improved. He's so young, and still has plenty of room to get even better. Good luck signing him.:toast

ffadicted
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I hope Utah matches so then the Blazers steal Odom away from the Lakers. They'd probably be doing those idiots in Portland a favor anyway.

Brazil
07-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Spurs FO is the best in NBA: not only Spurs for once are paying big money to improve the roster but they also help Utah to keep Millsap and consequently incentive Portland to go after Odom ! damn it's machiavelical plan, well done CIA FO

KSeal
07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
I hope Utah matches so then the Blazers steal Odom away from the Lakers. They'd probably be doing those idiots in Portland a favor anyway.

Spurs definitely need Odom out of LA to have any chance to win the west.

angelbelow
07-13-2009, 03:39 AM
Spurs definitely need Odom out of LA to have any chance to win the west.

Definitely? No, I think that without Odom the Spurs are the CLEAR favorites. But with Odom I see an entertaining WCF rematch.

Kai
07-13-2009, 06:38 AM
I don't see the Jazz letting Millsap go. He's just brought too much excitement and effort on the court for them to not match this offer. Plus, Boozer is leaving next year anyways.