PDA

View Full Version : Mavs need a Playmaking Guard

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 08:00 PM
None of the mavs guards have a consistent player that can break down other teams players off the dribble. Everything has to be a setup play. This style will get exposed in the playoffs unless Dallas fills this void. We are not an inside-out team so there's gotta be some way to get easy points. I guess the only way to get easy points is the fast break. Our offense used to be great because of Nash and then Harris. Now we rely heavily on set plays and contested shots. Our guards are getting older and slower making our team seem slow and easy to guard. I believe we are one guard away from being a threat again.

Indazone
07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
LOL @ Jason KIdd

MavDynasty
07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
None of the mavs guards have a consistent player that can break down other teams players off the dribble. Everything has to be a setup play. This style will get exposed in the playoffs unless Dallas fills this void. We are not an inside-out team so there's gotta be some way to get easy points. I guess the only way to get easy points is the fast break. Our offense used to be great because of Nash and then Harris. Now we rely heavily on set plays and contested shots. Our guards are getting older and slower making our team seem slow and easy to guard. I believe we are one guard away from being a threat again.

boo fucking hoo,go cry some more :sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

mystargtr34
07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Marquis Daniels.

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Why do you keep posting?

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
boo fucking hoo,go cry some more :sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep
I'm just saying what we need to win a championship. Don't you want to win a championship? I surely do. Yes a center would help to but the core will all fail if the guards aren't making things happen. Lakers-Kobe Heat-Wade Denver-Carmelo/Billups Cleveland-Lebron. These teams know how to break teams down one-on-one when their set plays fail due to the opponents knowing exactly what they are doing.

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Didn't you say Paul Pierce was better than Dirk last off-season? Get the fuck out.

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Didn't you say Paul Pierce was better than Dirk last off-season? Get the fuck out.
No I didn't. No need to spread any more bad rumors about me. Monosylab1k did enough damage.

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Our offense still finished 5th in efficiency last year. The offense isn't nearly as much of a problem as the defense which finished 17th.

It's not the most aesthetically pleasing offense, with little paint scoring and free throw attempts and mediocre passing/shooting but it still finished 5th!

The offense was fine in the playoffs too, defense was the nail in the coffin.

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Hell the fucker said Josh Howard was better than Dirk in early 2008.

MavDynasty
07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm just saying what we need to win a championship. Don't you want to win a championship? I surely do. Yes a center would help to but the core will all fail if the guards aren't making things happen. Lakers-Kobe Heat-Wade Denver-Carmelo/Billups Cleveland-Lebron. These teams know how to break teams down one-on-one when their set plays fail due to the opponents knowing exactly what they are doing.

ok,bullfans :rolleyes:rolleyes

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
LOL @ Jason KIdd

didn't he re-up for a 3 year deal?

Shank
07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Who the hell is this asshole?

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Hell the fucker said Josh Howard was better than Dirk in early 2008.
I probably was joking around. I don't think that comment was meant to be taken seriously.

pauls931
I'd say give up anything but the kitched sink to bail Chris Paul out of NO... Not sure what his situation is....

IronMexican
I remember a mavfan saying that.

sook
07-12-2009, 08:23 PM
you're all liars.

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd say give up anything but the kitched sink to bail Chris Paul out of NO... Not sure what his situation is....
That would be sick. He is the perfect fit for Dallas. But we don't have any youth or draft picks for them to have. The other option is expiring contracts. Maybe Barea, Howard or Marion, and Dampier along with cash. No idea how that would work.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Terry would have to be in any deal involving Chris Paul

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
What is this thread about?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/3714873205_9d98497570_o.jpg

Hornets1
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
That would be sick. He is the perfect fit for Dallas. But we don't have any youth or draft picks for them to have. The other option is expiring contracts. Maybe Barea, Howard or Marion, and Dampier along with cash. No idea how that would work.

:lmao:lmao:rollin:rollin:rollin:lmao

JamStone
07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Bonzi Wells.

Do it.

ginobilized
07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Devin Harris would be a good fit.......doh!

Spurs_9_20_21
07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Devin Harris would be a good fit.......doh!
:lol

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Harris in place of Kidd is a marginal upgrade, lateral, or a marginal downgrade.

Mavsfan1000 seems to think swapping Kidd with Harris would instantly turn us into the best team in the NBA. Hell the whole intent of this thread if a subliminal exaltation of Harris and degradation of Kidd, who is still of course, a playmaker even if his penetrating skills have waned.

It just isn't so IMO.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Harris in place of Kidd is a marginal upgrade, lateral, or a marginal downgrade.

Mavsfan1000 seems to think swapping Kidd with Harris would instantly turn us into the best team in the NBA. Hell the whole intent of this thread if a subliminal exaltation of Harris and degradation of Kidd, who is still of course, a playmaker even if his penetrating skills have waned.

It just isn't so IMO.
Kidd is a spot up shooter nowadays. Harris is a playmaker. Actually Kidd at the 2 wouldn't be that bad of an idea just as long as the point guard is a playmaker. Barea has his moments but not enough imo as he is too streaky.

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:05 AM
the Mavs gave up too much to get Kidd, and the age difference means you'd want Harris five years from now while Kidd is doing color analysis on ABC. But Harris is a good player and nothing more. The Mavs are in win-now mode, and undoing that trade does not get us closer to a title.

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I have mavsfan1000 on ignore. He's just a troll looking to get a rise out of Mavs fan, and he's not worth responding to or even mocking. He just deserves to be ignored.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I have mavsfan1000 on ignore. He's just a troll looking to get a rise out of Mavs fan, and he's not worth responding to or even mocking. He just deserves to be ignored.
I made some great points. Too bad you can't read them.

mavs>spurs2
07-13-2009, 01:48 AM
the Mavs gave up too much to get Kidd, and the age difference means you'd want Harris five years from now while Kidd is doing color analysis on ABC. But Harris is a good player and nothing more. The Mavs are in win-now mode, and undoing that trade does not get us closer to a title.

I really do have to disagree though, we'd be better with Harris. I dont know about championships, but sign gortat and move damp's contract and we might really be onto something here.

Danny.Zhu
07-13-2009, 02:21 AM
How much is Marion?

stretch
07-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I think that the re-arrival of Howard would help this team in a multitude of ways. if he keeps his head on straight, and plays like he was against San Antonio again (slashing, driving, taking smarter shots), that will go a long ways to helping the offensive efficiency improve even further. and people IMO underrate the kind of attention that Marion draws, because he is so effective at causing problems without the ball, that a man can't double off of him the way that they could with guys like Wright and George. Marion is so effective at finding a spot for an open alley-oop, or gets position for rebounding so quickly, that they wont be able to leave him, and if they do, there is a good chance he will either get an easy bucket, wide open shot, or an offensive rebound. that will help the entire defense. Shawn Marion is a kind of player that the Mavs have never had, and IMO was always the second most important player behind Steve Nash in Phoenix, because of those exact reasons i mentioned. it was evident when he was traded away, and suddenly virtually everything about the suns didnt look quite right.

He's not the greatest at creating his own shot, but to be honest... he won't need to. The points will come to him as he does what he does best... making plays off the ball. He is one of the best off the ball players in NBA history, perhaps even arguably THE best. Those kinds of players are a rarity, and I feel that his presence will make each and every player on the Mavs roster more effective at doing what each of them are meant to do.

45 bank shot
07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
isn't jason olddie kid a playmaker?

Rogue
07-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Kidd is just a maestro of full-court offense, and even once led the NJ nets into the NBA finals only with a couple volatile shooters around him. But a team built around jump shooters can never win a real championship, the closest one was the 06 Mavs team. That's why Avery Johnson picked up some defense and started to cultivate half-court offense on Mavs team, and that transition of our playing style almost brought us a championship in 06. The following two failures in the nest two years led to the resign of Avery Johnson who was pretty much a scapegoat. Even with the most talented guards the Mavs still failed to reach the summit, then the Mavs slipped even further in recent years as our players got older and slower. But the problem isn't one that can be solved by the guards only, mainly that's the job of a decent center that can create his own shots in paint and get consistent points night in and night out. If Damp's 11m salary was given to Al Jefferson, the Mavs team would be quite different, while no big difference would be expected even if our starting SG was Crawford or Redd.

stretch
07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Kidd is just a maestro of full-court offense, and even once led the NJ nets into the NBA finals only with a couple volatile shooters around him. But a team built around jump shooters can never win a real championship, the closest one was the 06 Mavs team. That's why Avery Johnson picked up some defense and started to cultivate half-court offense on Mavs team, and that transition of our playing style almost brought us a championship in 06. The following two failures in the nest two years led to the resign of Avery Johnson who was pretty much a scapegoat. Even with the most talented guards the Mavs still failed to reach the summit, then the Mavs slipped even further in recent years as our players got older and slower. But the problem isn't one that can be solved by the guards only, mainly that's the job of a decent center that can create his own shots in paint and get consistent points night in and night out. If Damp's 11m salary was given to Al Jefferson, the Mavs team would be quite different, while no big difference would be expected even if our starting SG was Crawford or Redd.

I agree. And I honestly think Gortat will surprize you. The guy has good fundamentals, and is much more aggressive than any center we have had in god knows how long. Keep in mind that Damp still averages like 6-7 points a game despite dropping about 3 or 4 easy opportunties each game, which amounts to another 6+ points a game. You can already tell that Gortat is much more quicker and athletic than Damp and has a better offensive skill set, and he wont be dropping those easy passes either. I think with the attention that guys like Dirk, Howard, and Marion will draw, Gortat should easily be able to average around 12-13 ppg, which will make things even easier for Dirk and Howard to create as Gortat begins drawing more attention. The Mavs could very possibly end with one of, if not the most efficient offense in the league, which will go a long way in helping out their defense, in addition to adding some solid defenders in Marion, Ross, and Gortat.

Of course, this is all theoretical and just my own opinion. Only time will tell. My biggest concern is if they can get some more consistent 3 point shooting.

jacobdrj
07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Kobe wanted a trade, and never rescinded... Kobe to Dallas?

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Those are the old days. Even then Kidd wasn't exactly a drive and dish type of player like Nash was. This team needs that drive and dish or drive and score. Right now, we are weak in the halfcourt because we can't break teams down. Our set plays work better in the regular season because the other team hasn't caught on to them yet. Josh Howard in his prime and Harris were able to break down defenses with their speed. As of late, Howard can't do that as much anymore and Harris is gone. Our team is just not built for the playoffs. And yes having a center like Gortat will help a lot.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
And this song explains it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub14_iNzt9w

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
And this song explains it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub14_iNzt9w

What the fuck is your problem?

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
What the fuck is your problem?
Sensitive much? I thought the song was kind of funny.

stretch
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
bullsfan1000 = lame

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 10:19 AM
bullsfan1000 = lame
I'm a mavs fan. I haven't watched any bulls games in years. I was more of a Jordan fan.

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm a mavs fan. I haven't watched any bulls games in years. I was more of a Jordan fan.

What's your favorite team going to do with Hinrich?

stretch
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Whats the status on Tyrus Thomas? Is he still on the trading block? Perhaps the Mavs can work out a deal and take him off your favorite team's hands.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
God, I thought most of the Suns fans on this board found me really annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as how most of the Mavs fans feel about mavsfan1000.

MWILL
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Maybe Dallas can sign A.I.

Just saying

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
God, I thought most of the Suns fans on this board found me really annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as how most of the Mavs fans feel about mavsfan1000.
Yeah they are pretty ridiculous on this board. I've never had a board be as hostile toward me as the mavsfans are here.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah they are pretty ridiculous on this board. I've never had a board be as hostile toward me as the mavsfans are here.

I don't know how it started but I get along with almost all the Mavs fans here, however I don't blame them for getting mad because you're happy Orlando is matching the Gortat offer and your reason behind it, as pissed as I am at the Suns, I'd support them signing Gortat HUGELY.

Culburn369
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
The point is moot: Orlando will compete for the title with or without him. Dallas won't compete for the title with or without him.

stretch
07-13-2009, 11:26 AM

you = dumbass

thats why

Findog
07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
you = dumbass

thats why

Put him on ignore if he thinks everyone is being "mean" to him. I put him on ignore; nobody is going to push my buttons.

stretch
07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't know how it started but I get along with almost all the Mavs fans here, however I don't blame them for getting mad because you're happy Orlando is matching the Gortat offer and your reason behind it, as pissed as I am at the Suns, I'd support them signing Gortat HUGELY.

mavs fans aren't nearly as hostile as people like him think. just gotta get used to their style of posting/humor. people who are either too sensitive, or take things too seriously, are going to get eaten alive. when the mavs fans smell fear, they attack. but if you can relax and realize that a good majority of the things they say (along with some other spur fans, piston fans, and a few other posters) are jokes, then the NBA forum is the most fun place on the web.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
It would be enjoyable to see Dallas with Gortat. But Orlando needs Gortat to make another run to the final. Alright I would rather Dallas get Gortat even though it probably won't be enough with our slow and aging guards.

stretch
07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Put him on ignore if he thinks everyone is being "mean" to him. I put him on ignore; nobody is going to push my buttons.

yeah but its more fun to just mess with the bull fan

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
mavs fans aren't nearly as hostile as people like him think. just gotta get used to their style of posting/humor. people who are either too sensitive, or take things too seriously, are going to get eaten alive. when the mavs fans smell fear, they attack. but if you can relax and realize that a good majority of the things they say (along with some other spur fans, piston fans, and a few other posters) are jokes, then the NBA forum is the most fun place on the web.
Even Kori Ellis got fed up of the mavs fans on this board. They seem to enjoy trolling and not liking serious and honest discussions about their teams weaknesses.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Even Kori Ellis got fed up of the mavs fans on this board. They seem to enjoy trolling and not liking serious and honest discussions about their teams weaknesses.

I think most of the Mavs fans on here are fully aware of their teams weaknesses. None of them strike me as homers.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I think most of the Mavs fans on here are fully aware of their teams weaknesses. None of them strike me as homers.
You should see how annoyed Kori Ellis was during the mavs series. They were very hostile. But I guess I got to get used to that style. It didn't used to be that way at Spurstalk. The people I disliked the most were spurs fans of course and got along with most mavs fans. Then Monosylab1k and Findog got against me and other mavs fans started to follow their lead. What do you expect when fans of other boards come to a spurs forum? Usually not for honest discussions but smack talk.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-13-2009, 11:55 AM
I know Kori was annoyed but that wasn't my point.

Shank
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
What's the team's plan for John Salmons, long-term?

stretch
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Any plans of yet another Jordan comeback?