PDA

View Full Version : Garcia: Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair aims to eat up space

Sniper
07-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair aims to eat up space
http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/summerleague_blair.html

LAS VEGAS -- He's been called the steal of the second round, but DeJuan Blair wants to be known for something else.

"I'm a space eater," Blair said with a grin.

The 37th pick in the 2009 Draft by the Spurs didn't waste any time gobbling up real estate and rebounds Sunday afternoon, throwing his 265 pounds (and considerable backside) around as soon as he checked into his first Summer League game.

A jumper from one of his new teammates went up and Blair made a beeline for the paint. Clearing room against a taller New Orleans defender, the 6-foot-7 Blair snatched the rebound and went back up. He missed but got it back before muscling the ball in.

"You cannot teach space," Spurs assistant and Summer League coach Don Newman said. "He's a space eater. He knows how to take it up, he knows how to hold his space and he's a physical guy by nature.

"He's going to get accustomed to how the game is called and those things will come, but one thing you don't want to do is back him off. You want to play like he plays. He'll continue to take that space."

Blair hadn't even broken a sweat and he began to fill up the box score. In five first-quarter minutes, the Pitt product had five points and five boards. The line after Blair's first pro game read 13 points and 10 rebounds, including three offensive, in 22 minutes.

"I'm not here to score, I'm here to play," he said. "I've been going a good job of preparing myself to come in and rebound, and I feel good. I think I played good. I went out there to rebound. The points just happened."

Blair just happened to fall in the Spurs' lap. Projected by many as a possible lottery-worthy talent after deciding to leave school as a sophomore, knee concerns sent Blain spiraling out of the first round. Specifically, he's missing the ACL in both knees.

An MRI done during the scouting combine in Chicago revealed the unique condition. Blair had surgeries to repair both ACLs in high school and hasn't had any issues since. He doesn't play with a brace on either knee and, if not for the test, wouldn't give the situation a second thought.

"I'm not worried about that," he said. "The knee problems are over."

Twenty-nine other teams felt differently about his medical prospects. As much as San Antonio is credited for pulling off a Draft steal, picking Blair was a no-brainer. General manager R.C. Buford admitted as much, adding that the team never expected the Big East player of the year to still be on the board seven picks into the second round.

Blair has found himself in the enviable spot of joining a title contender that had a need for frontcourt bulk behind Tim Duncan. Along with the recent signing of Antonio McDyess, Blair will be playing behind and learning from two of the premier power forwards of the last decade-plus.

"It doesn't matter what happened in the Draft," Blair said. "I went when I went and I ended up being on a team with great players, great coaches and great fans. I'm not complaining about it."

honestfool84
07-12-2009, 08:27 PM
"It doesn't matter what happened in the Draft," Blair said. "I went when I went and I ended up being on a team with great players, great coaches and great fans. I'm not complaining about it."

:tu

picnroll
07-12-2009, 08:29 PM
The really good news about Blair's knees is that he'll never tear his ACLs.

BruceBowenFan
07-12-2009, 08:29 PM
"I'm not here to score, I'm here to play,"

I love his mind set.

Spurs_9_20_21
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
The really good news about Blair's knees is that he'll never tear his ACLs.
Here's to hoping he'll never tear his ACLs! :toast

boutons_deux
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Anybody can imagine how much work ACLs do, esp in a stop/start sport like basketball. I'm still astonished.

Samr
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
But I read somewhere that his quads, hamstring, and other leg muscles essentially made up for his missing ACLs. Kind of like how a blind person will have increased hearing to compensate for the disability.

He played two years of college with no issues whatsoever. A lot of people that actually have ACLs still can't say that. I'm not sure what happened, but I've seen greater medical miracles personally. The human body is an incredible thing. I think Blair will be fine.

ducks
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Anybody can imagine how much work ACLs do, esp in a stop/start sport like basketball. I'm still astonished.

not surprising
since you are a liberal

poeticism707
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Blair has taking the next step in cementing himself in the Spurs rotation: a phenomenal 1st SL showing.

Here's hoping he continues!

Spurs_210
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Can't wait to see this guy when the season begins. Love his hunger

Cry Havoc
07-12-2009, 09:46 PM
It's insane that we got Blair.

Could we have seriously even dreamed of getting a guy who not only fits our needs like a glove, but has the absolute perfect attitude of a Spurs player right out of college?

Amazing. I'm so excited to see what this guy will do in the regular season.

Danny.Zhu
07-12-2009, 09:54 PM
His rebounding (offensive especially) is too important for this team.

eyeh8u
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/davucini/361copy.jpg?t=1247453850

George Gervin's Afro
07-12-2009, 10:09 PM
fits our needs like a glove

bingo!

Ace9
07-12-2009, 11:38 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/davucini/361copy.jpg?t=1247453850

Niiiiiice.

DMX7
07-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I've got a nickname for Blair.

Mr. And-1

The guy always finishes plays, it's amazing.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 12:15 AM
As long he's not also a donuts eater, I think we're good to go. :tu

Cry Havoc
07-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I've got a nickname for Blair.

Mr. And-1

The guy always finishes plays, it's amazing.

I like Hoover or Bissel, because he just inhales boards.

Avitus1
07-13-2009, 12:52 AM
The more and more I read the more and more I'm thankful we got this guy.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2009, 01:25 AM
After watching the highlights of the other bigs, it's pretty clear that Blair's game translates to the NBA with few adjustments. Cleaning up the glass and having good timing around the rim will translate to production when he's on the floor. Teach him not to be in the wrong place on defense and he's a plus/minus monster.

SenorSpur
07-13-2009, 01:37 AM
How can you not love this kid? His attitude, his ability, his relentlessness.

ace3g
07-13-2009, 03:37 AM
lol, Thabeet only had 2 boards in 20+ minutes of action in his first game

Leftyventricle
07-13-2009, 03:44 AM
"his 265 pounds (and considerable backside)"

Bubble Butt Blair.

BillMc
07-13-2009, 03:55 AM
"his 265 pounds (and considerable backside)"

Bubble Butt Blair.

Barkley, without the offense. Still, we'll take Blair in a minute. Can't wait for the season.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Barkley, without the offense.

Barkley without offense makes for one of the best role players in the league.