PDA

View Full Version : Greg Simmons & ksat or Don Harris & woai

straight out of bren
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Who gives the best and most accurate spurs information?Also which one is more enjoyable to watch?Personally i lean a little more towards woai.As for kens...I don't even go there for sports anymore.

ducks
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
spurstalk.com beats them all!

Buddy Holly
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Both suck.[/end thread]

BruceBowenFan
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Tv wise i have to give it to don harris.

DMX7
07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
don and david of WOAI.

HOEmada
07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Regardless of who gives better reports, I can't stand Greg Simmons. He's goes to bars and wants to think he's Ron Burgun

I have played basketball with Don Harris at Spectrum, and he's a really cool guy.

Screw off Greg Simmons!

spurs opsman
07-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Don Harris hands down, Greg Simmons would not even be the weekend sports anchor in a respectable tv market. And I've seen the Ralph Furley act he pulls at the nicer drinking establishments. Does kens even need a sportscaster that guy gets less air time than the morning traffic girl!

Buddy Holly
07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Greg Simmons and his toad throat suck the most. Seriously, why KSAT kees that guy on the air is baffling.

bigdog
07-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Greg Simmons is absolute GARBAGE, and so are David Sears and Larry Ramirez. KSAT's sports guys are horrible. I don't like any of the other locals, but Harris isn't too bad.

Sense
07-12-2009, 11:46 PM
both have unreliable information most of the time.. but woai gets alot of feed.

Libri
07-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I prefer Don Harris.

I remember that the sports section of the Express News put an article calling out the three KSAT sportscasters for using sports news from EN without citing the source.

Budkin
07-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Who is the main dude on KENS 5? Joe something? I remember being down in SA just before game 3 of the Lakers series in 2004. With the Spurs up 2-0 dude jinxed the shit out of the Spurs going on about how the Lakers might as well give up because he doubted they would even win one game in the series. Idiot.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Regardless of who gives better reports, I can't stand Greg Simmons. He's goes to bars and wants to think he's Ron Burgun

I have played basketball with Don Harris at Spectrum, and he's a really cool guy.

Screw off Greg Simmons!

I don't watch TV and most certainly not the waste of time that is the local news but i have had a few drinks at a bar off St Mary's with Simmons. Guy seemed pretty cool. Harris has always struck me as an arrogant prick.

Chief
07-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Definately Don Harris altho the reception on his mic seems to be low all the time
they should really fix that

Gervin44Silas13
07-13-2009, 06:47 AM

Screw off Greg Simmons!

My brother once told me he saw Greg Simmons at a bar and was so drunk that Greg pissed all over himself.
Don on the other hand has a big ego problem you can tell when he was on the radio.

Joe Fowler's "Comedy" and Dan Cook's "like it is" were the best at giving sports takes!

Spursfan092120
07-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm a Don Harris dude...he's a cool guy..

superbigtime
07-13-2009, 07:14 AM
I like Harris and Chancellor. They are fairly amusing. And you can tell they are crazy for the Spurs. Gregg Simmons looks like a character from the Simpsons.

Solid D
07-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm a Don Harris dude...he's a cool guy..

I watch them all...not all the same time slots, of course. If you want to see news @ noon or 5 PM, KSAT is it. Larry Ramirez is preferred, especially since he knows and covers sports like Ice Hockey. WOAI, is preferred otherwise. With that said, I actually like the Maximum Sports team on Ch 11 the best.

rjv
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
c) none of the above

SA210
07-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Don is horrible.

blizz
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
don and dave have a terrible way of hooking viewers. they'll say so n so slams the spurs...or you'll never guess what so n so said about the spurs...and it'll be nothing. they did it last week when sheed said why he didn't pick the spurs. he was asked that question and answered and i didn't see anything wrong with his answer but they played it up like he blasted us. they're so full of shit and get their news from here. IMO, there are no good sports reporters here in SA on tv. you wanna know what's going on? come here. simple.

rjv
07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
don and dave have a terrible way of hooking viewers. they'll say so n so slams the spurs...or you'll never guess what so n so said about the spurs...and it'll be nothing. they did it last week when sheed said why he didn't pick the spurs. he was asked that question and answered and i didn't see anything wrong with his answer but they played it up like he blasted us. they're so full of shit and get their news from here. IMO, there are no good sports reporters here in SA on tv. you wanna know what's going on? come here. simple.

i agree. chancellor deliberately exaggerates headlines. he must have received his journalism degree from TMZ university.

TDomination
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
hmm... a lot of hate for Greg Simmons but I like him. I don't know why. I always enjoyed watching him. He seems really into the topics he talks about.

Granted, I have not seen a newscast in a long time because now I just get information from the forum, but back when I did watch sports on tv, I always watched KSAT.

SA210
07-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Wow, this is exactly what I wanted to say but didn't have time to. That's exactly why they suck. Everything is lies. Like the last poster said too. It's like TMZ or something. Just lies and exxagerations to get viewers to stayed tuned. I'm glad others see this too.

I can't believe they are on the air. What a joke. I remember years ago, Don said on his radio show that he would take Shaq over Duncan if he were starting a team. :lol

Jose Ole
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Simmons is class... met this guy a few times having gone to high school across the street from the KSAT station and the man is all Spurs. Instant Replay FTW!

timvp
07-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't want to out the persons by name but when it comes to the Spurs, all but one of the people mentioned in this thread HATE the Spurs. I'm talking about actively rooting against the Spurs and hoping that they lose as soon as possible each season.

SA210
07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
^^^ My guess would be Don

Solid D
07-13-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.kabb.com/biography/images/cmiketinac-full.jpg

Has gone to Spurs' player's crib and played video games with them.

Solid D
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Actually, the whole team at KABB get a :tu
http://www.kabb.com/biography/images/cmiketinac-full.jpghttp://www.kabb.com/biography/images/apittman-full.jpghttp://www.kabb.com/biography/images/hledesma-full.jpg
Chuck, Anthony and Hector

Juanobili
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
^hahah hell yeah, those guys are cool

johngateswhiteley
07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
for goodness sakes...they both eat dick.

braeden0613
07-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't want to out the persons by name but when it comes to the Spurs, all but one of the people mentioned in this thread HATE the Spurs. I'm talking about actively rooting against the Spurs and hoping that they lose as soon as possible each season.
I've always thought Don hated the Spurs. Partly because his kid would always have a Nash jersey on (went to the school I graduated from). He also always seemed excited to stick a fork in the Spurs during the playoffs.

Behrooz24
07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Greg Simmons should be kicked in the nads everytime he says "Mannnewww".

FkLA
07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I prefer woai, the fox guys are cool too.

Behrooz24
07-13-2009, 05:25 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/9s9b3c.jpg

It was just begging for it. :hat

Big Empty
07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
don and david. I think they're great!

Calavera
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi, I`m from Bulgaria, Europe, and I check nba web site on regular basis, but I never saw an article about the Mcdyess sign in, it`s like nba doesn`t care that one of the best veterans among the free agents signed a contract with a contender for the title. It was like 3 days after the sign in, when they posted a link to some san antonio spurs web page... I expected video material, some analys or stuff... none. Meanwhile we get articles about rookies and less talanted players, anyway, I`m happy I found this forum!

LakerHater
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Both suck!!!!

But I really can't stand fuckin' Don MOTHERFUCKIN Harris & his lil puppet
doll David Chancellor!!!!

Solid D
07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi, I`m from Bulgaria, Europe, and I check nba web site on regular basis, but I never saw an article about the Mcdyess sign in, it`s like nba doesn`t care that one of the best veterans among the free agents signed a contract with a contender for the title. It was like 3 days after the sign in, when they posted a link to some san antonio spurs web page... I expected video material, some analys or stuff... none. Meanwhile we get articles about rookies and less talanted players, anyway, I`m happy I found this forum!

Welcome to the Forum, Calavera! I don't know if we have had anyone from Bulgaria as a member here. This is the best basketball forum out there although it can get too vulgar for me sometimes. (Forum nickname: "Vulgaria"? :depressed)

Anyways, check in often and bring us some scouting reports!!!

Buddy Holly
07-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I've always thought Don hated the Spurs. Partly because his kid would always have a Nash jersey on (went to the school I graduated from). He also always seemed excited to stick a fork in the Spurs during the playoffs.

He said all but one, meaning more than one person hates the Spurs.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Well, let's see. The only people mentioned at the time of LJ's post are:

Don Harris, David Chancellor, Greg Simmons, Larry Rameriz and David Sears.

Id say Greg is the lone Spurs fan.

PuttPutt
07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I used to work in a bar in SA & Greg Simmons used to frequently stop in. I'd chat with him from time to time about sports. He was an okay guy, but after a few he'd become a pervert. Hit on a few of my friends & various women. TV wise I'd choose Don.

spurs opsman
07-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Joe Reinagel?

mrcoon29
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Well that kinda sucks. WTF?? Fire their arses! I prefer the FOX team.

tmtcsc
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM

I find that very hard to believe. If its true, then I have think the only fan would be Chancellor. Don Harris' ego is so out of control that I can see how the Spurs may not appreciate him too much. If he felt locked out then I could see him hating the Spurs.

I can see how Pop and Tim's attitude towards the press may have an effect on the veteran newscasters. Maybe they've developed a hatred towards the Spurs organization because they take big dumps on the media.

stxspurs
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I used to work in a bar in SA & Greg Simmons used to frequently stop in. I'd chat with him from time to time about sports. He was an okay guy, but after a few he'd become a pervert. Hit on a few of my friends & various women. TV wise I'd choose Don.

yup...use to see him at mad dogs alot back in the day....always drunk with young chics.....
as for his sportscasting...he sucks....i think both do..its ashame everyone sucks in sa....its come down to picking the lesser of 2 evils

tmtcsc
07-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Lots of hate for G Simmons just being a guy. I believe he's single right ? So what if he's chasing tail ? That being said, I don't think much of him as a sportscaster. Channel 4 brings the most enthusiasm but Don acts like a comedian wannabe. He's not funny and he's a glory hound.

Whenever he says "League sources have told us..." he's referring to Alvin Gentry...his BROTHER IN LAW. I put that in caps because Don never fails to mention that he's related to him.

Twisted_Dawg
07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I prefer the WOAI guys but they have a tendancy to report things from this site three days later, such as Don Harris reporting Sheed was in town before he signed with Boston.

I cannot stand Greg Simmons drama queeen teases early in the newscast such as, "Spur starter injured in practice!". Only to find out Tony got scratched.

Speaking of Simmons, I worked in this office which had this smoking hot Latina chick who met Simmons in a bar and went home with him and was all enamored with him. I thought, "Fuck, how does shit like that happen?"

braeden0613
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
He said all but one, meaning more than one person hates the Spurs.
Yeah I got it. I was just pointing out that Don was probably one of those. I would agree and say Greg is the only actual fan.

Blackjack
07-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Greg Simmons should be kicked in the nads everytime he says "Mannnewww".

I don't know why, but he and Minnix drive me nuts with their pronunciation of Manu. Ever since I quit smoking it seems insignificant trivial crap like that just gets to me, like it never did before.

It's bad enough listening to the national media butcher the guy's names, is it really too much to expect the local guys to get the name/nicknames right? /mini-rant :hat

Lots of hate for G Simmons just being a guy. I believe he's single right ? So what if he's chasing tail ? That being said, I don't think much of him as a sportscaster. Channel 4 brings the most enthusiasm but Don acts like a comedian wannabe. He's not funny and he's a glory hound.

Whenever he says "League sources have told us..." he's referring to Alvin Gentry...his BROTHER IN LAW. I put that in caps because Don never fails to mention that he's related to him.

I don't give a damn what these guys do in their off hours. Hell, if they can use their local celebrity to get a little tail, I'd find it hard to believe most on this board wouldn't do the same.

As for the topic of the thread, Harris is definitely the better journalist. I'd say he's probably the best overall in the market, but you could make an argument for Miketinac.(Being the best in this market, though, is hardly a vote of competence.)

Harris definitely was a Spurs fan growing up but seems to have soured on them over the years. He's definitely been a closet Suns fan (Closet as in, the guy everyone knows is gay but he just hasn't come out and said it. A technicality, really.;)) ever since Gentry's been there, which tmtcsc rightly pointed out, and his sidekick is a closet Lakers fan. (Shocking, I know..)