PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Blair Bangs The Boards

duncan228
07-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Spurs' Blair bangs the boards (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Blair_bangs_the_boards.html)
Jeff McDonald

LAS VEGAS — A mere 65 seconds after checking into his first NBA summer league game, Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair hip-checked his way through a pair of defenders, snatched an offensive rebound away from two defenders and double-pumped the ball back into the basket.

From his courtside seat at UNLV's Cox Pavilion, New Orleans coach Byron Scott shook his head in amazement.

“That is a man down there,” Scott said, motioning in the direction of the wide-bodied Blair.

On the day that the Spurs made him the 37th overall pick in the NBA draft, Blair swore he would make sure every team that had passed on him regretted it.

He wasted little time scratching one team off his hit list Sunday.

In his highly anticipated summer league debut, Blair — a 6-foot-7 All-American from Pittsburgh — finished with 13 points to go with 10 rebounds as the Spurs beat New Orleans 92-86.

After it, Blair was in too good of a mood to say, “I told you so.”

“I was just having fun,” Blair said, flashing a quick smile. “I showed a lot of people what I can do, what they missed out on.”

Widely regarded as the best rebounder in college basketball last season, Blair thrived as advertised in his maiden summer league foray.

He entered the game with 5:10 left in the first quarter. Thirty-five seconds later, he recorded his first rebound, bird-dogging a defensive rebound into the corner.

Six minutes into his stint, Blair already had five rebounds.

“If there's a rebound, he's going to go get it,” said Spurs assistant coach Don Newman, who is guiding the summer league squad. “He has such a knack for that. He does it better than anybody did it in the college game.”

Blair scored most of his points on putbacks. Three of his four field goals resulted in 3-point plays.

In that, he did not show the Spurs anything they did not already know.

“That's what I do,” Blair said. “That's what's on the scouting report.”

It can be folly to project too much from one summer league game. Often, what happens in Vegas really does stay in Vegas.

Just as it was for George Hill, the last top Spurs rookie to come through the Cox Pavilion.

A year ago, Hill missed 23 of 25 shots during the Spurs' first three summer league games, leading to knee-jerk doubts about his ability to play in the NBA. He led the Spurs with 25 points Sunday, going 7 for 13 from the field, including a pair of soaring dunks.

By the end of the first quarter, Hill had made twice as many field goals (four) as he did all last year in Vegas.

Malik Hairston scored all 16 of his points in the second half for the Spurs, including 11 in a three-minute stretch of the third quarter. The 6-foot-6 swingman showed off a shooting range rarely seen in his 15-game stint with the Spurs last season, knocking down a pair of 3-pointers.

It was Blair, however, who generated the most silver-and-black buzz. He was the last Spurs player to leave the arena after the game, held up by a media horde clamoring for his attention.

Blair seemed unimpressed by the whole affair.

“I just did what everybody thought I could do,” Blair said, shrugging. “I rebounded.”

Even though it was only a summer league game, the Spurs believe Blair will be producing similar statistical lines in NBA arenas someday soon.

If he does, Blair would be as significant an offseason addition as any for a team that ranked 18th in the league in rebounding last season.

In the meantime, the Tour de Vengeance goes on, though Blair says he came to terms with his draft-night snub on draft night.

“It's in the past,” Blair said. “I'm not really worried about that now. Fans don't know who got drafted where.”

Fans don't, but Blair does. He is out to show the rest of the NBA what it missed out on.

One team at a time.

TIMMYD!
07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Great game by Blair if he can keep up with that type of rebounding during the regular season he will be great.

Mister Sinister
07-12-2009, 11:21 PM
:tu

loveforthegame
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I love his attitude. :tu

Ace9
07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
To Blair:

-Diehard Spurs fans across the world know where you drafted. Keep on doin' whatcha do. Go Spurs Go!

-Ace9, a diehard Spurs fan for life

bishopospurs
07-12-2009, 11:26 PM
“It's in the past,” Blair said. “I'm not really worried about that now. Fans don't know who got drafted where.”

Fans don't, but Blair does. He is out to show the rest of the NBA what it missed out on.

One team at a time.
Most of us are keeping tabs, I think all of fans here know and will keep reminding him.:toast

TIMMYD!
07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Has anyone read the Batman thing on MisterSinister signature?

DMX7
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
To Blair:

-Diehard Spurs fans across the world know where you drafted. Keep on doin' whatcha do. Go Spurs Go!

-Ace9, a diehard Spurs fan for life

Post it on the Express-News website. Those guys actually read it form time to time.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
He's a baaaad man!

FilSpursFan
07-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I cant wait to see him in the regular season.

pawe
07-12-2009, 11:47 PM
GJ Blair! He will play a major part in the playoffs if he keeps on playing this way.

qiuyizeng
07-12-2009, 11:49 PM
http://a1.hoopchina.com.cn/attachment/Day_090709/105_476070_f4128de30237315.jpg

i think he is very confident,good job,blair!
go on!
http://a1.hoopchina.com.cn/attachment/Day_090709/105_476070_06bd6b6d65c5780.jpg

poeticism707
07-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Man: if Blair is able to translate this kind of play into the NBA- which it seems he will, as the SL is already a SERIOUS step up from college, the Lakers will all of a sudden look up and find they have lost in the WCF to the Spurs.

And they will know EXACTLY where they lost the game:

on the glass.

raspsa
07-13-2009, 01:56 AM
I hope Blair takes it easy in scrimmages vs Timmy and Antonio.. and hands off against
manu in particular.. he can beat up on Bonner though..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Way to bring it Mr Blair. :tu

A monster with a chip on his shoulder is a dangerous combination. It's only summer league, but I'm certain this kid will be a valuable, contributing member of our team from day one next season.

Has anyone read the Batman thing on MisterSinister signature?

Yes, well worth it from start to finish. Hilarious! :lmao

angelbelow
07-13-2009, 03:09 AM
damn he sure did. a few times i had no idea how he came up with the ball. the man is a true grizzly.

Spursone
07-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Love his attitude, how he's expected to rebound and he does it with all abandon. Can't wait till the start of the season.

:wakeup

mountainballer
07-13-2009, 05:18 AM
a little off topic, just because it somehow fits the headline:
did anyone notice the board work of Joey Dorsey this summer league?
in 3 games he averages 14.3 RPG in 30 minutes.:wow (that's 19.1 in 40 minutes)
I just mention it, because we will very likely see Blair and Dorsey meet at the boards several times. (at least during the regular season). will be a bit like a monster truck competition.
(btw. is monster truck a good nick for Blair?)

L.I.T
07-13-2009, 05:54 AM
At first glance that title said something completely different.

Since the draft I've holding out hope that this kid could turn into an approximation of Paul Millsap.

New secret hope: A pissed off Paul Millsap.

fleggy2k2
07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
At first glance that title said something completely different.

Since the draft I've holding out hope that this kid could turn into an approximation of Paul Millsap.

New secret hope: A pissed off Paul Millsap.

i noticed the same thing. but for me, the title read "Spurs' Blair Bangs the Broads"

benefactor
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
After re-watching the game late yesterday evening I have to agree with a statement that has been used to define Blair(not sure where)...he eats the glass. Like Rodman, his rebounding ability is something that is not taught, it's instinctive.

Extra Stout
07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
On the little ticker at the bottom of the screen on ESPN this morning, they reported Blair's line as "13 pts, 3 reb." :lmao Denial is all they have.

phyzik
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
here's a few tweets (I cant stand twitter but I cant deny the usefulness either) from David Thorpe on DeJuan Blair.

"DeJuan Blair. 1 minute. 3 boards."

"Blair can not afford to hunt shots after being well defended inside."

"Blair with the double-double in 17 mins."

"Manu and Tony are going to make Blair's Christmas very special. He's going to be crushing guys on ballscreens and pin downs."

"NBA teams are going to be scratching their heads about passing on Sam Young and D Blair in the 2nd half of round 1."

45 bank shot
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
His rebounding is just what we need

phyzik
07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Also, some ESPN Highlights

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4323083&categoryid=2459788

wildbill2u
07-13-2009, 09:23 AM
He was walking away from the 'pick' on the pick n roll and I suspect that was why Newman was in his face a few times. But just wait til that big body starts planting himself like a wall for unsuspecting guards to run into. POW!

Mr. Body
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
On the little ticker at the bottom of the screen on ESPN this morning, they reported Blair's line as "13 pts, 3 reb." :lmao Denial is all they have.

I saw that. It's like how Fox News puts a (D) after big time Republican scandals, like Mike Foley.

Agloco
07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
damn he sure did. a few times i had no idea how he came up with the ball. the man is a true grizzly.

That's the thing about it. He looks out of position then all of a sudden he's on the ball. What a great talent. He's only going to get better under Pop's program.

DeJuan, we all know where you were drafted and we will all enjoy watching you anally violate the league this year. :toast

superbigtime
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I think Spurs are also giving a coaching tryout since there are a couple of vacancies. Check it out, we have a Darko now.

HEAD COACH Don Newman
ASSISTANT COACHESJames Borrego
Patrick Spurgin
Quin Snyder
Marcelo Nikola
Darryl Hardy
Darko Rajakovic
Henry Duque

samikeyp
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
DeJuan Blair=Bruise Brother 2.0