PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the Dennis Lindsey Interview

timvp
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
During the first game of summer league, Joel Myers interview Dennis Lindsey (assistant GM for the Spurs) for almost the entire second quarter. It was actually a good and extensive interview. A few posters were asking about what Lindsey talked about so here are some notes from the interview.

-Players added during the draft have skills that can fit the Spurs.

-Spurs didn't get the chance to work out Blair prior to the draft. However, he was a priority interview during the pre-draft camp in Chicago.

-Blair is down to 274 pounds with 8% body fat.

-Spurs like Blair's force, size and that he carries his weight well. What they really like is his feel -- he's a very underrated passer. Also has great hands.

-Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon said that Blair carried practice. As a power forward, it's a rare trait to have a bigman who is a leader.

-Spurs hope that Blair's rebounding numbers will carryover from college. Historically, rebounding is something that is predictive when going from college to pros.

-Spurs thought that McClinton's range to be selected in the draft was going to start in the 30s. They were surprised he was still on the board at 51. Spurs were very pleased he dropped that far.

-McClinton's skills comparable to Eddie House -- but still a long ways away.

-They like McClinton's motor. They also like the fact that not only is he a shooter, he's a shooter with good footspeed. Spurs like his ability to create separation -- especially on pin-down screens.

-This is a key offseason for Mahinmi.

-After they drafted him, Mahinmi made good progress in France and then they were pleased with his play in Austin. One of the best players in d-league two years ago.

-This is Mahinmi's real season to show what he can do after a year off due to injury. He has good physical tools -- now the Spurs want to give him some experience.

-Spurs hope Mahinmi has a lot of upside. The Spurs view Mahinmi and Gist as rookies since they are both just 22 years old. Both have physical gifts but they still need to connect all the dots.

-Gist had a very good year in Italy with a low budget team that overachieved. Gist was a big part of why that team overachieved and the Spurs like his development.

-Going over to Europe and experiencing the world helped Gist's development. Dell Demps, RC, Pop and Lindsey went over to Italy and saw Gist growing.

-Gist improved his skillset in Europe thanks to two-a-day practices and playing in a highly competitive environment.

-Felt fortunate to draft George Hill last year. In the 2008 draft, the Spurs felt really good about six or seven players so they decided not to trade their first round pick.

-Picking Hill was a tough choice but they liked that Hill fit them culturally and they liked that he was an NBA defender from Day 1.

-The Spurs think that Hill's rookie season was productive. Played well backing up Parker and played well when he was forced to start. Also played well at shooting guard and performed well in the playoffs.

-Hill has been working with Chad Forcier and Chip Engelland and the Spurs have seem some good growth. They think he has good tools and they like that he's a hard worker.

-Hill and Roger Mason, Jr. elevated their games last year early on to keep the Spurs afloat.

-The Spurs program is a "work program". When the Spurs bring in players, they have to believe that the player is a worker. Duncan and Robinson set the foundation of the program due to both being humble people. Humility and intelligence are important. Players have to be able to have a conversation in an adult manner because the culture of the team is worldly. All these attributes help players get better.

-There's no indications that Manu Ginobili won't be healthy. He's fully healthy and cleared. Ginobili provides the pace and pulse to the team. Ginobili is a postseason player -- a championship-moment player. There was no way to replace that in the playoffs without him.

-Big commitment by Peter Holt and the ownership group. Pop and RC went to Holt and told him their feelings about where the Spurs were at as a basketball club. Pop didn't mince any words after the Dallas series -- the team was short compared to the other conference finals contenders. Holt stepped up and allowed the Spurs to spend.

-Holt's reasoning for letting the Spurs spend was due to: 1) trusting that Pop and RC know what they are doing 2) with Duncan only having three years left, the Spurs want to go out swinging to honor him.

-Antonio McDyess is a player the Spurs have tried to add to the program for a long time. The Spurs have a lot of respect for Detroit's program -- in a lot of ways they are similar to San Antonio's program in nature. Due to that, the Spurs hope that McDyess' fit will be seamless.

-The Spurs needed to give Duncan a little bit more help by adding an interior defender and an experience player.

-McDyess is understated -- a pro's pro. McDyess and Pop had a conversation during free agency and quickly got on the same page.

-Pop's honesty when talking to free agents and agents is valuable. He speaks direct and between the eyes and people appreciate that.

-Pop told the front office that the Spurs really needed to add some physicality. McDyess and Blair address that need.

-There are no championships won during the offseason but if you don't address needs, you won't put yourself in a position to win a championship.

-The Spurs are happy with the needs they filled and they hope to push forward and add even more.

urunobili
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I heard it during the game yesterday... he sounded very confident and positive about our players and future...

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks a lot timvp!

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks! Instructive reading for those who want the Spurs to add the balla of the moment and think they are not about winning championships.

Bruno
Thanks for the recap. :tu

When I heard Spurs FO, L have the felling that they still will do something significant this offseason. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, maybe not...

ginobilized
Wow! Some great tidbits of Spursology. There are so many layers to the Spurs
culture....It's an impressive organization and one which I'm proud to support.
Thanks Timvp.

hater
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
There's no indications that Manu Ginobili won't be healthy. He's fully healthy and cleared. Ginobili provides the pace and pulse to the team. Ginobili is a postseason player -- a championship-moment player. There was no way to replace that in the playoffs without him.

for the Manu haters..

naico
07-13-2009, 03:04 PM
They believe a whole lot in Gist, more then most people would have thought and Dice was a priority, not Wallace. 2 things that pop out.

Solid D
07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
[I]
-There's no indications that Manu Ginobili won't be healthy. He's fully healthy and cleared. Ginobili provides the pace and pulse to the team. Ginobili is a postseason player -- a championship-moment player. There was no way to replace that in the playoffs without him.
For ducks and mookie with love.

-The Spurs are happy with the needs they filled and they hope to push forward and add even more.
This statement is well-above average!

Solid D
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
[I]
For ducks and mookie with love.

This statement is well-above average!

slick'81
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
manu will be back with a vengeance this season

GoSpurs99
07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Love that last sentence TiMVP!!!!!

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM

http://www.nbadraft.net/files/images/nocioni_ginobili.jpg

SonOfAGun
07-13-2009, 03:20 PM
2) with Duncan only having three years left, the Spurs want to go out swinging to honor him. :ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit :ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit

in2deep
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
-McDyess is understated -- a pro's pro. McDyess and Pop had a conversation during free agency and quickly got on the same page.

-Pop's honesty when talking to free agents and agents is valuable. He speaks direct and between the eyes and people appreciate that.

Pop is a PIMP

Bruno
07-13-2009, 03:23 PM

2s5-u7PEMYQ

Solid D
07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for taking the time to recap this LJ!

bishopospurs
07-13-2009, 03:28 PM

That would be sick

urunobili
07-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Pop has always praised him as a perfect Spur...

:pray

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/olympics/2008/writers/alexander_wolff/08/22/us.argentina/p1_kobe_0822.jpg

http://media.hamiltonspectator.topscms.com/images/35/e0/ad2ea37f47fea5197840f3015fa0.jpeg

Darkwaters
07-13-2009, 03:30 PM

Oh hell yea. You've got my vote. I've been advocating for Nocioni for a while now.

urunobili
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I expect a rant against Nocioni's chances from the anti Manu posters...

those kids sound as if they were raped by an Argentinean during their childhood or something... they just flat out hate... can't blame them if they have a past of being owned by an Argie... it sucks big time...

in2deep
07-13-2009, 03:38 PM
No brainer to Chapu coming here. Nocioni is a guy that will leave everything on the court.

In the olympics after Manu got injured, he carried Argentina on his back vs. USA. And he himself was on one leg. Dude is all heart.

Imagine a lineup of:
TP, Manu, Nocioni, Blair, Duncan

warriors

urunobili
07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
The second unit would just get too sick...

Hill, Manu, Noce, Blair, Mahimni

Mark in Austin
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm getting the feeling that Sac wants to keep him. There have been several stories about how one of the reasons they drafted Evans this year was toughness on the court - that they thought the team played too passive.

If that's the case I really doubt they trade Noc - especially with his contract structured to become more affordable every year.

Mark in Austin
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
timvp,

nothing from Lindsey on his plans to help the Rockets through this difficult time for the franchise?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm getting the feeling that Sac wants to keep him. There have been several stories about how one of the reasons they drafted Evans this year was toughness on the court - that they thought the team played too passive.

If that's the case I really doubt they trade Noc - especially with his contract structured to become more affordable every year.

Yes, it is "affordable." But they could also save $15 mil if they dealt Nocioni for, say, Bonner, Finley, Williams, and a pick of some sort.

in2deep
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
timvp,

nothing from Lindsey on his plans to help the Rockets through this difficult time for the franchise?

giving them Scola was not enough?

Mark in Austin
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, it is "affordable." But they could also save $15 mil if they dealt Nocioni for, say, Bonner, Finley, Williams, and a pick of some sort.

true. but when you look at their cap situation over the next couple years, they're actually in pretty good shape once the corpses of Kenny Thomas and Shareef A-R and the combined $15 million they are owed drop off the cap after this season. And even with them they are only at $58 million for the upcoming season.

not saying it can't happen; just that I think the odds have gone down, and the price has gone up.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
true. but when you look at their cap situation over the next couple years, they're actually in pretty good shape once the corpses of Kenny Thomas and Shareef A-R and the combined $15 million they are owed drop off the cap after this season. And even with them they are only at $58 million for the upcoming season.

not saying it can't happen; just that I think the odds have gone down, and the price has gone up.

They could try to position themselves to benefit from the great NO LIMIT summer of 2010 by pursuing a couple of mid tier free agents or set themselves up for some future salary dump trades with the expiring contracts of Bonner and Finley.

vander
07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
There's no indications that Manu Ginobili won't be healthy. He's fully healthy and cleared. Ginobili provides the pace and pulse to the team. Ginobili is a postseason player -- a championship-moment player. There was no way to replace that in the playoffs without him.

for the Manu haters..

were there any indications that manu wouldn't be healthy last july? or july 07?

just wondering

Solid D
07-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Reason being, Chapu's contract situation is:

2009-10......2010-11...2011-12....2012-13
$7,500,000 $6,850,000 $6,650,000 $7,500,000 (team option)

Mark in Austin
07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
They could try to position themselves to benefit from the great NO LIMIT summer of 2010 by pursuing a couple of mid tier free agents or set themselves up for some future salary dump trades with the expiring contracts of Bonner and Finley.

they could, but I think that Sac feels that Nocioni @ $6.8 million next year is a good deal for that team, much like Spurs feel McDyess is a good deal at the MLE based on how he fits with the team.

Sac is trying to build a man's team. I think you see them move heaven and earth to trade Beano to free up capspace before Nocioni.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Right, but who's going to want Udrih over Nocioni? And Nocioni has his own questions as far as health.

Libri
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
-Felt fortunate to draft George Hill last year. In the 2008 draft, the Spurs felt really good about six or seven players so they decided not to trade their first round pick.

-Picking Hill was a tough choice but they liked that Hill fit them culturally and they liked that he was an NBA defender from Day 1.This leads me to believe that the Spurs would have taken Batum if he was available.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
During the first game of summer league, Joel Myers interview Dennis Lindsey (assistant GM for the Spurs) for almost the entire second quarter. It was actually a good and extensive interview. A few posters were asking about what Lindsey talked about so here are some notes from the interview.

-Gist improved his skillset in Europe thanks to two-a-day practices and playing in a highly competitive environment.

Can you explain to me then why I was ATTACKED BY MANY members here for stating that in Europe the practices are two a days? When I said that member after member was fucking talking ridiculous shit to me for days.

So why the fuck is this always allowed to be done to me here?

hater
07-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Can you explain to me then why I was ATTACKED BY MANY members here for stating that in Europe the practices are two a days? When I said that member after member was fucking talking ridiculous shit to me for days.

Because you are an annoying turdnugget?

Mark in Austin
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Right, but who's going to want Udrih over Nocioni? And Nocioni has his own questions as far as health.

ummmmm... Chris Wallace? :king

but seriously, my point is after this season they have 35M, 31M, & 26M in committed salaries over the next several years. With capspace available already, I don't see Sac's motivation to send away a player they've given every indication they like for nothing but expiring contracts and possibly some late round picks.

I'd love to see Noc on the Spurs, but unless they find a way to sweeten the pot considerably over Bonner, Finley, etc., I'll bet you a cheesburger that it doesn't happen.

benefactor
07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Nice recap of the interview. It was good to hear all the positive things that Lindsey had to say about the team.

Speaking of interviews...how about the ones with Byron Scott and George Shinn?

Scott on free agency..."We still are adding pieces."
Shinn on free agency..."We are in tax hell and need to find a way out."
:lol

Darkwaters
07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Nice recap of the interview. It was good to hear all the positive things that Lindsey had to say about the team.

The Hornets are still adding pieces for sure.

Michael Olowakandi
Shawn Bradley
Jacque Vaughn

You know, any of these guys are distinct possibilities at this point!

biziofromdowntown
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Only good words for Gist...unexpected @ this point...Maybe Lindsay knows something more about his situation.

toki9
07-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Blair has only 8% body fat? That's crazy.

urunobili
07-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Blair has only 8% body fat? That's crazy.

yeah he looks to be around 12 or 15...

benefactor
07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't know...he does look much leaner that he did in the college mixes of him that were posted.

fleggy2k2
07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
-Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon said that Blair carried practice. As a power forward, it's a rare trait to have a bigman who is a leader.

sounds familiar :hat

raspsa
07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
[I]

Humility and intelligence are important. Players have to be able to have a conversation in an adult manner because the culture of the team is worldly. All these attributes help players get better.

Punks need not apply.:toast

Russ
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Por favor, could it ever be about someone else? Like some who plays the game? :)

easjer
07-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Fascinating - thank you so much. I was shocked at how much Blair has lost and that his body fat is only 8%. Holy shit that dude is BIG.

The rest is awfully exciting. What a great time to be a fan.

Ice009
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Nocioni would be my first choice of trade targets for the Spurs with Bell being second.

Spursmania
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM

This would be unbelievable. :wow

Nocioni is a workhorse and would fit in perfectly, but can it ever be a real possibility?

Spursmania
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM

just wondering

Of course, remember him against LA and then playing in the Olympics even though he wasn't healing as expected after the playoffs?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
This would be unbelievable. :wow

Nocioni is a workhorse and would fit in perfectly, but can it ever be a real possibility?

Depends on the Kings wanting to dump his contract.

Spursmania
07-13-2009, 10:46 PM

http://lh5.ggpht.com/fisherwy/R-lDKWV-sjI/AAAAAAAAOK4/bgaKx0Jrf7Y/Praying+Dog+Chihuahua+Conan+picture%5B3%5D.jpg

“Oh lawd, please send us Nocioni.”

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:49 PM
...and also depends on the Spurs' willingness to take on his contract for two more seasons past this one. Finley and Bonner's expiring contracts would allow the Spurs to trim something off payroll next summer, as they face re-signing Ginobili and possibly signing Splitter.

Danny.Zhu
07-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Thank you timvp.

angelbelow
07-13-2009, 11:34 PM
nice thanks for the recap.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Not a god damn thing about Duncan's knees. That is concern number 1.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Many thanks for the notes, timvp. I'm es[ecially intrigued by the last line (really wounds like their set for at least one more move). :)

The Kings were raving about him at the end of last season. They loved his toughness.

Also, does Nocioni fit a need? The glaring weakness of our squad is a perimeter defender, and he ain't that. Then again, sometimes I guess you just bring in a player because he's a great player, and we all know Nocioni would fit this team beautifully, need or not.

The second unit would just get too sick...

Hill, Manu, Noce, Blair, Mahimni

Damn straight. There's not a second unit that could match those first four guys, and anything we get from Ian is a bonus. If he's not up to it, maybe bring back Oberto! Manu, Nocioni and Oberto's chemistry would be incredible.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't know, who do the Spurs have to guard bigs who can step out on the perimeter and be the small ball 4? Finley?

They can always bring Bowen back if they want a top flight perimeter defender for the bench.

Addressing those two needs is not mutually exclusive. Further, now's the time to load up, regardless of the perfect paper roster. Nocioni gives you a hardass for the bench who will come in and play his ass off and can knock down shots.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't know, who do the Spurs have to guard bigs who can step out on the perimeter and be the small ball 4? Finley?

They can always bring Bowen back if they want a top flight perimeter defender for the bench.

Addressing those two needs is not mutually exclusive. Further, now's the time to load up, regardless of the perfect paper roster. Nocioni gives you a hardass for the bench who will come in and play his ass off and can knock down shots.

Doesn't that sound like the role they brought Haislip in for? He's big at 6'10', but he sounds pretty mobile.

And yeah, I reckon they'll bring Bowen back and just use him in very short bursts as a cooler, and to tutor Hairston.

Yup, load up indeed. Nocioni is a hard arse and a shot maker and a hustle guy, and he would make our bench the best in the league. Sadly though, I think the Kings really like him, probably enough to keep him.

Blackjack
07-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Appreciate the recap.:tu (Especially appreciate not having to do it.:smokin)

When I heard Spurs FO, L have the felling that they still will do something significant this offseason. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, maybe not...

I've felt the same way and their rhetoric just keeps seeming to reinforce it.

They've got two positions that I feel they should address: Bigman defender and perimeter defender.

I think the more pressing need would be the big, since they've only got Duncan and 'Dyess as players they can count on, and Bowen is always in their back pocket if all else fails for a perimeter defender.

I'm really not sure ther going to use their LLE, past history wouldn't indicate they would, but I guess their past history's been thrown out the window with some of the recent moves.

With the amount of money they've already spent do you think they're likely to go with 14 players and leave a spot open? The roster's already at 14, even if Malik's on a make-good and Williams could easily be cut, but the spots are filling up fast..

-Duncan
-'Dyess
-Jefferson
-Manu
-Parker
-Hill
-Mason
-Hairston
-Blair
-Finley
-Bonner
-Mahinmi
-Haislip
-Williams
Outside looking in
-McClinton
-Gist

It just looks and feels like there's going to be some kind of trade to free up some roster spots, at some point.

Probably the type of 2 or 3-for-1 type trade that's been suggested ad nauseam..

urunobili
07-14-2009, 07:23 AM
maybe bring back Oberto! Manu, Nocioni and Oberto's chemistry would be incredible.

Oberto is done... he can't keep up with the athleticism of the league right now.. just with smarts you don't make it...

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Greek national team trainer says Sofo has 12% body fat. So I guess 8% is possible.

mountainballer
07-14-2009, 08:44 AM

yeah, that's funny.
the opening championship window of the Hornets was quickly closed again.
different to most NBA owners, the Hornets are Shinn's main business venture. so even if he really wants to win and therefore run an expensive team, he just might be forced to cut payroll to run into big financial troubles. so the Hornets will be a team to keep an eye on this summer. there will be some fire sales (Chandler, Posey, Peja, Mo Pete, whoever they can get rid of).
thinking about the Spurs (and of course they are not front runners for any deal with the Hornets) Posey would be an obvious possibility, Fin+Matt for Posey would work.
(btw. Fin+Willams+Ian would also work, if they waive Williams, they save 3.3 million overall, considering the tax)

CGD
07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
...and also depends on the Spurs' willingness to take on his contract for two more seasons past this one. Finley and Bonner's expiring contracts would allow the Spurs to trim something off payroll next summer, as they face re-signing Ginobili and possibly signing Splitter.

This is the smartest comment re a potential Chapu signing. :wakeup

Unless an unbelievable opportunity came by, Spurs IMO would like to have the ~$6M next summer --not including Money Mase here-- for (1) the above mentioned flexibility, and (2) lux. tax relief.

BTW Noc. is a bargain for the Kings under the current terms of his contract, no? Plus, Chapu (though an unselfish player) still requires minutes/touches to maximize his true impact. Spurs get to a "not enough balls to go around" situation IMO.

Now OKC's Collison on the other hand would be a good pick up especially if we plan to table the Ian project (I think we have to make a determination on whether to pick up his option for next year in the coming months?). Nick's contract only goes through 2011, and is in the $$ ballpark.

CGD
07-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know if any of Williams, Hairston, and Haislip contracts are partially guaranteed?

I haven't found anything on this.

Mark in Austin
07-16-2009, 05:20 PM

well... If Casspi continues to impress I think the odds get better...

Da Spurs
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM

just wondering

What planet were you on last summer? He had a bad ankle that got really bad in the Olympics.