PDA

View Full Version : Blair with double double in 1st summer league game

tlongII
07-13-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/summerleague_blair.html

I apologize if this has already been posted...

LAS VEGAS -- He's been called the steal of the second round, but DeJuan Blair wants to be known for something else.
"I'm a space eater," Blair said with a grin.

The 37th pick in the 2009 Draft by the Spurs didn't waste any time gobbling up real estate and rebounds Sunday afternoon, throwing his 265 pounds (and considerable backside) around as soon as he checked into his first Summer League game.

A jumper from one of his new teammates went up and Blair made a beeline for the paint. Clearing room against a taller New Orleans defender, the 6-foot-7 Blair snatched the rebound and went back up. He missed but got it back before muscling the ball in.

"You cannot teach space," Spurs assistant and Summer League coach Don Newman said. "He's a space eater. He knows how to take it up, he knows how to hold his space and he's a physical guy by nature.

"He's going to get accustomed to how the game is called and those things will come, but one thing you don't want to do is back him off. You want to play like he plays. He'll continue to take that space."

Blair hadn't even broken a sweat and he began to fill up the box score. In five first-quarter minutes, the Pitt product had five points and five boards. The line after Blair's first pro game read 13 points and 10 rebounds, including three offensive, in 22 minutes.

"I'm not here to score, I'm here to play," he said. "I've been going a good job of preparing myself to come in and rebound, and I feel good. I think I played good. I went out there to rebound. The points just happened."

Blair just happened to fall in the Spurs' lap. Projected by many as a possible lottery-worthy talent after deciding to leave school as a sophomore, knee concerns sent Blain spiraling out of the first round. Specifically, he's missing the ACL in both knees.

An MRI done during the scouting combine in Chicago revealed the unique condition. Blair had surgeries to repair both ACLs in high school and hasn't had any issues since. He doesn't play with a brace on either knee and, if not for the test, wouldn't give the situation a second thought.

"I'm not worried about that," he said. "The knee problems are over."

Twenty-nine other teams felt differently about his medical prospects. As much as San Antonio is credited for pulling off a Draft steal, picking Blair was a no-brainer. General manager R.C. Buford admitted as much, adding that the team never expected the Big East player of the year to still be on the board seven picks into the second round.

Blair has found himself in the enviable spot of joining a title contender that had a need for frontcourt bulk behind Tim Duncan. Along with the recent signing of Antonio McDyess, Blair will be playing behind and learning from two of the premier power forwards of the last decade-plus.

"It doesn't matter what happened in the Draft," Blair said. "I went when I went and I ended up being on a team with great players, great coaches and great fans. I'm not complaining about it."

ulosturedge
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Yup we just want to see Dejuan keep doing his thing. So far so good :toast

rayray2k8
07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah it was already posted in several threads, but im too lazy to look for the link. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
It starts...

That's where Blair comes in. He's going to eat space and shit double doubles.

Solid D
07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/earlyreturns/archive/2009/03/18/obama-dejuan-blair-is-a-man.aspx

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:7TzlBdtiYpWwzM:http://onlinesportshandicappers.com/news/images/stories/obama-2009-NCAA-bracket-predictions.jpg

Big-time basketball and college sports fan Barack Obama puts Pitt into his Final Four (larger version here), but has him losing to UNC, who he says will go onto the championship. Nevertheless he has lots of nice things to say about the Panthers, and especially DeJuan Blair. From ESPN:

"Pitt is looking strong," he said. "I think [DeJuan] Blair is a man."

In the 2008 election, Obama won Pittsburgh, a key city in the swing state of Pennsylvania.

"I've had good luck with Pittsburgh," Obama said. "It turned Pennsylvania. They came through in the Super Bowl. So I figure let's keep riding them a little bit longer."

My bracket has Pitt over Duke, too. Did he get my picks in advance?

"I didn't look at your picks," Obama said with a laugh. "I promise you, to win, Andy, I'm not looking at your picks."

Picking Pitt over Duke was his toughest selection. He looked over at [aide and former Duke player Reggie] Love and said that despite the "skilled perimeter players, they just don't have the muscle inside. I think Blair is going to eat them up."

SonOfAGun
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
The man with no knees already showing up Oden.