PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Antenna

jacobdrj
07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I am in the market for a good HDTV antenna. Anybody have any experience with OTA (Over The Air) Digital signals?

ElNono
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I am in the market for a good HDTV antenna. Anybody have any experience with OTA (Over The Air) Digital signals?

+1
I was going to just pick up one from Walmart and try it, and return it if it didn't work well, so I'm all ears for any recommendations.

arial
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Try here http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/index.php

Viva Las Espuelas
07-13-2009, 04:44 PM
well before i got cable i went to this website and it was pretty helpful. it doesn't name brands, but tells you what type is needed for your area.

www.antennaeweb.org

robino2001
07-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm way too lazy to go look up the brand but I dropped $30 for one at radio shack a couple of years ago - worked like a champ. Don't use it any more though.

ElNono
07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm way too lazy to go look up the brand but I dropped $30 for one at radio shack a couple of years ago - worked like a champ. Don't use it any more though.

I have sat service, but if I hook up a OTA antenna, my DVR can record off of it too, allowing me to record 3 shows at once (while playing back a 4th). Believe or not, last year I really needed that on Wednesdays, when wife wanted to record soap opera, LOST and I wanted to also record a Spurs game.
I hope there's something out there that works. Thanks for the links guys.

stretch
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
no

robino2001
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I used it when I had satellite because they didn't (at that time) have my local NBC in HD. Thing worked great - especially the couple of times the storms knocked out the satellite signal but I could watch all of the locals in crystal clear HD. I also loved the digital subchannels. Now with uverse, their STB doesn't have an antenna input and my tv does not have an internal tuner, so the antenna is just sitting in the laundry room on a shelf.

Anyway, you don't need a super big name or anything for these... if it works, it works - just try one out and see what happens.

jacobdrj
07-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, I tried a 'dollar store' rabbit ears one. It did function, but not well.
I am very close to a LOT of towers (the auto companies actually test their cars in my area to test for radio interference: there are over 8 towers in a 4 square mile area, we can't use corded phones or speakers because they pick up the radio signals).
I used one from a RF Remote Control, and it was ok. But I need something better to get channels that I know are close. It is quite clear to me that I need an outdoor antenna to get 1 channel that is broadcasting from the west of my house, and my house is blocking the signal where my TV is (east side of the house).

I would have used the awesome 60's antenna that used to be on my roof, but we had our roof replaced recently, and no longer have that monster.