PDA

View Full Version : Vegas: Mahinmi's Proving Ground

Bruno
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13298

By: Luke Byrnes
Last Updated: 7/13/09 2:56 PM ET

For Ian Mahinmi of the San Antonio Spurs, the 2009 Las Vegas Summer League is a way to repay the Spurs organization which has been loyal to him over the past couple of seasons.

Mahinmi was selected by the Spurs as the 28th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft and spent the following two seasons playing professionally overseas before coming stateside for good in the summer of 2007. After an injury cut Mahinmi's 2007 summer league short, the Spurs signed him to a contract and assigned the 6'10", 245 lb., power forward to the team's D-League affiliate, the Austin Toros. While in Austin, Mahinmi shined, leading the Toros to the NBADL Finals where the team fell to the Idaho Stampede.

Mahinmi appeared in just six games for the Spurs in the 2007-08 season but felt as if the season yielded growth in his overall game.

"My first year I really improved a lot on every aspect of the game, defensively, offensively, mentally, the rhythm of the game," Mahinmi told HOOPSWORLD.

Year two in the NBA would not be so rewarding for the young Frenchman, however.

A few weeks before the Spurs were set to open training camp in 2008 Mahinmi suffered an ankle injury and was unable to recover in time to play for the Spurs last season, opting to have surgery in January of this year and ending the 22-year-old big man's season. The setback limited Mahinmi's ability to continue to grow on the court as Mahinmi failed to log even one minute of playing time in '08-09.

"Last year, because I had to sit back because of the injury, I really improved as a person," Mahinmi said. "Getting to learn my teammates and getting to learn myself, it was interesting. Even though I didn't really improve my game because I couldn't really play, but as a person I feel I have grown up a lot."

With the departure of Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas to the Milwaukee Bucks in the trade which brought Richard Jefferson to the Spurs this summer, Mahnimi has an opportunity finally crack the Spurs rotation in 2009-10. Before he can realize that dream, however, he must show the Spurs he is healthy and is attempting to do just that with the Spurs summer league team in Las Vegas.

"It feels great," Mahinmi said after his first summer league game. "I've been waiting a long time for that. Obviously with my broken ankle last year was a tough season for me. I'm really excited about playing summer league. It has been a year and that was my first game really playing, up and down, at a high level."

Mahinmi played nearly 25 minutes in the Spurs victory over the New Orleans Hornets and, despite showing some rust, showed the skill and athleticism that made him a first round draft pick four years ago while scoring eight points, grabbing four rebounds and blocking one shot in his first action in nearly a year and a half.

"I'm not worried about making shots or missing shots," Mahinmi continued. "I just want to run up and down the floor and get my feeling on the floor. I knew my first game was going to be like that, trying to get my feeling back. It definitely feels good to run up and down the floor against those guys."

As he works his way back into game shape, Mahinmi is mindful of what the Spurs coaching staff and front office wants to see out of him this summer.

"They just want to see me playing defense," he said. "They want to see me rebound. They want to see me being a mother for everybody because I have been here three years so I should be an example. They want to see leadership and all that so that is what I try to bring to the team: being an example for the rest of the guys."

Mahinmi is confident in his skills and is taking a patient approach to getting back to the NBA full-time and, hopefully, cracking the Spurs rotation.

"I'm 100 percent confident. I miss a little bit of explosion because of being in a cast and a boot for a long time, but I'm 100 percent confident," Mahinmi said. "My first goal is to have a good summer league, be healthy and all of that. After that, work hard this summer getting myself ready for training camp. After that, just staying confident and finding my spot on the team and finding myself on the team. How can I help the team? That is my main goal. I really want to be a part of the rotation next season."

The Spurs have been patient with Mahinmi through his struggles with injuries over the past two seasons and he is not only thankful but also determined to reward the Spurs for their investment in him.

"I'm glad I got drafted by the Spurs because they never gave up on me even though I had to sit out last year because of the injury," Mahinmi explained. "They stayed with me the whole time. They stayed positive with me. They really did everything they could. I'm blessed and thankful for all they did for me. It is crazy. I've never been on any team that took care of me like that. Now I just want to return the favor and work hard and show them that I can help their team win."

The Las Vegas Summer League will go a long way to proving Mahinmi is healthy enough to contribute for the Spurs this season and, while he wasn't dominant in his first game, Mahinmi intends to capitalize on the opportunity.

FkLA
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
what were this dude's averages with the toros? the article makes it seem like he was the best player that led the toros to the nbdl finals....if thats the case he may be a solid player for us this season.

kace
07-13-2009, 06:12 PM
what were this dude's averages with the toros? the article makes it seem like he was the best player that led the toros to the nbdl finals....if thats the case he may be a solid player for us this season.

he was.

DBMethos
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Ian "Mother" Mahinmi?

mazerrackham
07-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Ian "Mother" Mahinmi?

lol, I noticed that, I was like, they want him to be a mother?!?!

DAF86
07-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I would love to see Mahinmi becoming the starting C of the Spurs come playoff time.

mazerrackham
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I would love to see Mahinmi becoming the starting C of the Spurs come playoff time.

I think this has little chance of happening. Mahinmi has great potential and athleticism, but lets let him try to crack and remain in a rotation for a year first.

Galileo
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Mahimni = the Next Tim Duncan

Tully365
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
:lol Maybe he meant to say motha.

tomtom
07-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Still has a good attitude. You can tell he's dying to play. Let's hope he can deliver

phxspurfan
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Mahimni = the Next Tim Duncan

At least the next Tim Duncan, with more athleticism. Will be a perennial all-star for years to come.

mystargtr34
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I think everybody expected a bit too much for his first game back after not playing for a year.

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
At least the next Tim Duncan, with more athleticism. Will be a perennial all-star for years to come.

I think you're mistaking him for the Great Andrew Bynum..

easjer
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm hopeful he comes out and produces. I've heard rumors that management is unhappy with his attitude and work ethic, so this article gives me some hope that he is at least saying the right things and maybe understand what he needs to do in order to be any good/of any use.

pad300
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Ian "Mother" Mahinmi?

lol, I noticed that, I was like, they want him to be a mother?!?!

Just drop the "hin" - call him "Mami"

urunobili
07-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Come on Ian prove the naysayers wrong and became our starting C...

BackHome
07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
he was.

Pops had way better numbers then Ian had in the Toros and we know he is still looking for a job. No I don't want him we need someone over 6'11

bigdog
07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Ian has always said all the right things. This year, he seems eager to get back on the court and show the Spurs what he's got.

I'm rooting for Mahinmi to earn a spot in the rotation next year, possibly as the 2nd string Center. LET'S GO IAN!

benefactor
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Come on Ian prove the naysayers wrong and became our starting C...
...or just a very serviceable backup. :)

dbestpro
07-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I want to see G. Hill run the pick and roll with Ian to the tune of 20 pts for Ian and 10 assists for Hill. I do not care how many points Hill scores. The assists are his key stat. With Blair on the boards I do not care about Ian's rebounds. I do want to see Ian outscore his opponent by 5 or more points to show offensive and defensive progression. A couple of blocks per game would be nice as a reflection of his energy.

TheCerebral1
07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
He's trash, has been since the day we drafted him. He has amounted to nothing and will not be on the roster in another season. Go Spurs though. Sorry for my first post being pessimistic. :flag:

MarHill
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
...or just a very serviceable backup. :)

+1

If he can be a serviceable backup....that would be great!!

6 pts and 5 rebs a game in 10-15 min....would be my expectation for his 1st year in the rotation.

SsKSpurs21
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
:lol Maybe he meant to say motha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gqwi7Y96sk&feature=related

:lmao :lmao :lmao

SsKSpurs21
07-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I want to see G. Hill run the pick and roll with Ian to the tune of 20 pts for Ian and 10 assists for Hill. I do not care how many points Hill scores. The assists are his key stat.

you pretty much described boozer and Dwill.

rjv
07-13-2009, 07:34 PM
if he can log a respectable 8-10 minutes a game at some point this season this would be a big plus for the spurs.

jag
07-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I hate the way people overrate the guy...because then he turns into a "bust" if he's not putting up ridiculous numbers.

It'd be nice to see him come in and give 5pts 5 rebs.

timvp
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I just want to run up and down the floor

In rewatching the game, I noticed that Mahinmi was running hard all game. Last year, he was pretty lazy. In his first game this year, his effort was much better. He sprinted to both ends and rotated well.

As Dennis Lindsey said, Mahinmi has to connect the dots in his game. But the potential is there for him to be a solid role player.

Freeze
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/career.jsp?player=ian_mahinmi

30mins
17,1pts (61,5% FG's - 76,6% FT's)
8,2 rebs (2,6 off)
1,4 ast
1,5 steals
1,7 blocks
2,7 TO's
4 PF's

NBDL All-Star
ALL NBDL first team as Center.

That was as good as we could ask him at the time.

Yannis Koutroupis
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Hey guys, after watching yesterday I was pretty underwhelmed with what I saw from Ian - until I talked to some of the Spurs' brass that was there in attendance. They made sure to point out to me that he's only been able to play for about six weeks now and that this was his first structured game. Basically, it's his first game healthy in a year. When you look at it in that context it was a great game for Ian. He told me afterwards that his explosion isn't all the way back yet, but I was still impressed with how quick he was and how well he ran the floor. He had a nice left handed finish late in the 4th that really stands out. Barring any set backs I think Ian will certainly be ready to play some backup minutes consistently.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Last season was Mahinmi's first chance to log significant minutes in the NBA after a successful season with the Toros and the logjam in the bigman rotation opened up. Injury, of course, derailed that.

I've never seen Spurs fans so ready to write a 22 year old athletic bigman off. Given the injury and his performance in Austin the season prior, you'd think so many wouldn't be ready to see him go.

Oh well, I'm sure he'll have plenty of fans come mid-season in SA.

4RINGS
07-13-2009, 09:54 PM
A solid backup position is all we should expect for this guy in 2010. Let him grow into the position.

We can not expect him to be the "All -World" Andrew Bynum... hahahaha Plus Bynum is like 7'1", so that automaticly makes him much, much, much better. Just ask any Laker fan.

Russ
07-13-2009, 09:56 PM
"They want to see me being a mother"

Notre Dame. :)

poeticism707
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, after watching yesterday I was pretty underwhelmed with what I saw from Ian - until I talked to some of the Spurs' brass that was there in attendance. They made sure to point out to me that he's only been able to play for about six weeks now and that this was his first structured game. Basically, it's his first game healthy in a year. When you look at it in that context it was a great game for Ian. He told me afterwards that his explosion isn't all the way back yet, but I was still impressed with how quick he was and how well he ran the floor. He had a nice left handed finish late in the 4th that really stands out. Barring any set backs I think Ian will certainly be ready to play some backup minutes consistently.

Agreed!:toast

Spurs fans must show more patience for Ian: he's only 22!

He can't help he injured his ankle last season, he can't help that it was misdiagnosed, he can't help that this was his first game IN OVER A YEAR.

I mean really think about that:

WHAT WOULD BLAIR OR HILL LOOK LIKE IF THEY HADN'T PLAYED FOR A FULL YEAR?!? They'd look terrible, but Ian certainly did not look terrible. Factor in the fact that he hasn't played in a year, and he might well be yesterday's MVP. He has the athleticism and height, he is running the court EXTEREMELY well, and that nice spin move at the end of the game, finishing with his left, is indicative of how his skills are coming back, in pieces. But just be PATIENT with him, for crying out loud, he's only 22 years old, and for all intents and purposes, THIS IS HIS ROOKIE SEASON, and he's only played ONE GAME. This guy has all the tools, and the drive and loyalty to the Spurs organization to be very solid contributor THIS SEASON, but it's going to take time for him to get back athletically where he was. But he'll do it.

Even if Ian only duplicates this performance from game 1 against the Hornets for the rest of SL, I'd say the Spurs should DEFINITELY invite him to camp, and put him on the roster. Because he is very indebted to the Spurs, and that is the fire that drives him: to PROVE that he is man and player enough (not just one or the other) to contribute meaningful basketball to the Spurs.

As I said: he's going to do it, too. Blair, Hairston, and Haislip won't be the only new Spurs contributing this season: for those who don't think he will, Ian will sirprise you all.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Pops had way better numbers then Ian had in the Toros and we know he is still looking for a job. No I don't want him we need someone over 6'11

No. You're so wrong it's not funny.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Agreed!:toast

Spurs fans must show more patience for Ian: he's only 22!

He can't help he injured his ankle last season, he can't help that it was misdiagnosed, he can't help that this was his first game IN OVER A YEAR.

I mean really think about that:

WHAT WOULD BLAIR OR HILL LOOK LIKE IF THEY HADN'T PLAYED FOR A FULL YEAR?!? They'd look terrible, but Ian certainly did not look terrible. Factor in the fact that he hasn't played in a year, and he might well be yesterday's MVP. He has the athleticism and height, he is running the court EXTEREMELY well, and that nice spin move at the end of the game, finishing with his left, is indicative of how his skills are coming back, in pieces. But just be PATIENT with him, for crying out loud, he's only 22 years old, and for all intents and purposes, THIS IS HIS ROOKIE SEASON, and he's only played ONE GAME. This guy has all the tools, and the drive and loyalty to the Spurs organization to be very solid contributor THIS SEASON, but it's going to take time for him to get back athletically where he was. But he'll do it.

Even if Ian only duplicates this performance from game 1 against the Hornets for the rest of SL, I'd say the Spurs should DEFINITELY invite him to camp, and put him on the roster. Because he is very indebted to the Spurs, and that is the fire that drives him: to PROVE that he is man and player enough (not just one or the other) to contribute meaningful basketball to the Spurs.

As I said: he's going to do it, too. Blair, Hairston, and Haislip won't be the only new Spurs contributing this season: for those who don't think he will, Ian will sirprise you all.

He's under contract, the Spurs are gonna have him on the team.

Hey Yannis, I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I haven't been able to see Ian play in a while, but I've heard his lower body looks really undeveloped in comparison to his upper body...is that true or exaggerated?

samikeyp
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
I have yet to be impressed with Ian. If he was a late second rounder, I would be ok with his progress but IMO, you have too see more out of a 1st rounder. Hopefully this is the year he breaks through. If not, the FO will have some decisions to make.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
What did he not do right in 2007-08?

Yannis Koutroupis
07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
He's under contract, the Spurs are gonna have him on the team.

Hey Yannis, I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I haven't been able to see Ian play in a while, but I've heard his lower body looks really undeveloped in comparison to his upper body...is that true or exaggerated?

I didn't look for that specifically, but typically stuff like that jumps out at me and it didn't with Ian. I don't think there's any kind of imbalance there.

Interrohater
07-13-2009, 10:29 PM
what a stupid thing to say. There's absolutely no way Mensah-Bonsu would have held up those numbers over a lengthy period of time (he played 8 games with the Toros). And the height thing? How can you compare Mahinmi to a guy that is one inch shorter than him and complain about his height? He's one inch under 7 ft! That's pretty good length, you clown shoes.

peskypesky
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I have yet to be impressed with Ian. If he was a late second rounder, I would be ok with his progress but IMO, you have too see more out of a 1st rounder. Hopefully this is the year he breaks through. If not, the FO will have some decisions to make.

My belief that Ian is a bust = My belief that Blair is a beast

Interrohater
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
My belief that Ian is a bust = My belief that Blair is a beast
dude, I will never accept that a guy who is only 22 years old is a bust. The Spurs FO hasn't accepted that either.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
dude, I will never accept that a guy who is only 22 years old is a bust. The Spurs FO hasn't accepted that either.

Especially when his chance to make the rotation was derailed by injury. In 2007-08 he turned in a successful season with the Toros and was set to make the rotation in 2008-09 before the injury. Spurs fans are kicking him to the curb simply because he hasn't been on a court in a while.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Especially when his chance to make the rotation was derailed by injury. In 2007-08 he turned in a successful season with the Toros and was set to make the rotation in 2008-09 before the injury. Spurs fans are kicking him to the curb simply because he hasn't been on a court in a while.

Well, to be honest, he did play in last season's summer league before he got injured and did not impress. Then again, neither did George Hill.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:47 PM
He could've beat out Bonner for minutes last season.

A couple summer league games don't matter that much, other than for those players marginal enough who need a good showing to warrant a training camp invite. Mahinmi's performance with the Toros is more impressive and relevant than in the summer league.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
He could've beat out Bonner for minutes last season.

A couple summer league games don't matter that much, other than for those players marginal enough who need a good showing to warrant a training camp invite. Mahinmi's performance with the Toros is more impressive and relevant than in the summer league.

But, but...

Allright

Edit: The rotting corpse of the Frito Bandito could have beat out Bonner for minutes last season...

Interrohater
07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
But, but...

Allright
:lol

timvp
07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Last year, Mahinmi averaged 14 and 8 in summer league in his sleep. I agree that Mahinmi putting up the highest PER in history in d-league over an entire season is more noteworthy. Especially considering he was just 20.

And if you want to judge Mahinmi using a couple of minutes, why not look at his NBA stats. Per minute, his actual NBA stats are ridiculous :smokin

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Last year Gist turned in an impressive summer league performance. Now it appears that the Spurs are trying him out at the 3 and *voila* he struggled in his first game. Dare I remind everyone of Duncan's summer league experience.

This was Mahinmi's first real game in quite a while anyways.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
And if you want to judge Mahinmi using a couple of minutes, why not look at his NBA stats. Per minute, his actual NBA stats are ridiculous :smokin

LOL.. he logged what? 30 minutes total? :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
And I would give Gist more credit for his Italian league performance. Just like you'd give a Duncan more credit for his career at Wake or Hill for his at IUPPPIPIPUI.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Sweet Pea comes to mind. Is he not the greatest summer league player of all time?

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:56 PM
And I would give Gist more credit for his Italian league performance. Just like you'd give a Duncan more credit for his career at Wake or Hill for his at IUPPPIPIPUI.

Release Marcus Bryant... :lol

timvp
07-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Sweet Pea comes to mind. Is he not the greatest summer league player of all time?

Yeah, IIRC, Sweet Pea averaged a triple double in summer league :lol

objective
07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
d-league is structured, organized basketball.

Summer League is mostly garbage to feature one-on-one play with bottom of the barrel refs. These teams have 2 practices and then they play a bunch of summer league games, sometimes back-to-back-to-backs. If all people watched so far was Spurs-Hornets they're spoiled, because the other games I've watched have mostly been brutal with little resemblance to organized play. Slop-fests left and right.

D-League is legit as far as real basketball goes. Coaches have teams prepped, there's actual coaching decisions made, there's at least some chemistry with the players though maybe not much because of the turnover.

If Mahinmi can just work himself into basketball shape he can contribute.

Sunday was his first full competitive basketball game for a calender year. It's no surprise to see him rusty, and reassuring that he was playing hard and with some urgency.

Danny.Zhu
07-13-2009, 11:04 PM

"I'm glad I got drafted by the Spurs because they never gave up on me even though I had to sit out last year because of the injury," Mahinmi explained. "They stayed with me the whole time. They stayed positive with me. They really did everything they could. I'm blessed and thankful for all they did for me. It is crazy. I've never been on any team that took care of me like that. Now I just want to return the favor and work hard and show them that I can help their team win."

Nice to see this.

DBMethos
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM

<== Hell fuckin' yeah.

:king

Yannis Koutroupis
07-14-2009, 06:54 AM
<== Hell fuckin' yeah.

:king

I've always considered Bo Outlaw the most dominant summer league player of all-time. He used to put up Wilt-like numbers!

leonarth
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Vegas: Mahinmi's Proving Ground

By: Luke Byrnes Last Updated: 7/13/09

For Ian Mahinmi of the San Antonio Spurs, the 2009 Las Vegas Summer League is a way to repay the Spurs organization which has been loyal to him over the past couple of seasons.

Mahinmi was selected by the Spurs as the 28th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft and spent the following two seasons playing professionally overseas before coming stateside for good in the summer of 2007. After an injury cut Mahinmi's 2007 summer league short, the Spurs signed him to a contract and assigned the 6'10", 245 lb., power forward to the team's D-League affiliate, the Austin Toros. While in Austin, Mahinmi shined, leading the Toros to the NBADL Finals where the team fell to the Idaho Stampede.

Mahinmi appeared in just six games for the Spurs in the 2007-08 season but felt as if the season yielded growth in his overall game.

"My first year I really improved a lot on every aspect of the game, defensively, offensively, mentally, the rhythm of the game," Mahinmi told HOOPSWORLD.

Year two in the NBA would not be so rewarding for the young Frenchman, however.

A few weeks before the Spurs were set to open training camp in 2008 Mahinmi suffered an ankle injury and was unable to recover in time to play for the Spurs last season, opting to have surgery in January of this year and ending the 22-year-old big man's season. The setback limited Mahinmi's ability to continue to grow on the court as Mahinmi failed to log even one minute of playing time in '08-09.

"Last year, because I had to sit back because of the injury, I really improved as a person," Mahinmi said. "Getting to learn my teammates and getting to learn myself, it was interesting. Even though I didn't really improve my game because I couldn't really play, but as a person I feel I have grown up a lot."

With the departure of Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas to the Milwaukee Bucks in the trade which brought Richard Jefferson to the Spurs this summer, Mahnimi has an opportunity finally crack the Spurs rotation in 2009-10. Before he can realize that dream, however, he must show the Spurs he is healthy and is attempting to do just that with the Spurs summer league team in Las Vegas.

"It feels great," Mahinmi said after his first summer league game. "I've been waiting a long time for that. Obviously with my broken ankle last year was a tough season for me. I'm really excited about playing summer league. It has been a year and that was my first game really playing, up and down, at a high level."

Mahinmi played nearly 25 minutes in the Spurs victory over the New Orleans Hornets and, despite showing some rust, showed the skill and athleticism that made him a first round draft pick four years ago while scoring eight points, grabbing four rebounds and blocking one shot in his first action in nearly a year and a half.

"I'm not worried about making shots or missing shots," Mahinmi continued. "I just want to run up and down the floor and get my feeling on the floor. I knew my first game was going to be like that, trying to get my feeling back. It definitely feels good to run up and down the floor against those guys."

As he works his way back into game shape, Mahinmi is mindful of what the Spurs coaching staff and front office wants to see out of him this summer.

"They just want to see me playing defense," he said. "They want to see me rebound. They want to see me being a mother for everybody because I have been here three years so I should be an example. They want to see leadership and all that so that is what I try to bring to the team: being an example for the rest of the guys."

Mahinmi is confident in his skills and is taking a patient approach to getting back to the NBA full-time and, hopefully, cracking the Spurs rotation.

"I'm 100 percent confident. I miss a little bit of explosion because of being in a cast and a boot for a long time, but I'm 100 percent confident," Mahinmi said. "My first goal is to have a good summer league, be healthy and all of that. After that, work hard this summer getting myself ready for training camp. After that, just staying confident and finding my spot on the team and finding myself on the team. How can I help the team? That is my main goal. I really want to be a part of the rotation next season."

The Spurs have been patient with Mahinmi through his struggles with injuries over the past two seasons and he is not only thankful but also determined to reward the Spurs for their investment in him.

The Las Vegas Summer League will go a long way to proving Mahinmi is healthy enough to contribute for the Spurs this season and, while he wasn't dominant in his first game, Mahinmi intends to capitalize on the opportunity.

Twenty-one NBA teams will compete in this year's Las Vegas Summer League, including the defending NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers, as well as top overall pick Blake Griffin