04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-04-04-duprees-awards_x.htm

milkyway21
04-05-2005, 10:31 PM
what's your take on this? :rolleyes

SHAQ & NASH LEAD MVP DEBATE
Year's big MVP question has a big answer — Shaq
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

This season's NBA Most Valuable Player could very likely come down to massive Shaquille O'Neal of the Miami Heat against floppy-haired Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns. As opposite as they are in appearance and style, they are the best players on the two winningest teams in the league.

Shaquille O'Neal is a giant man, and has a giant effect on this Heat teammates and the flow of the game.
By Luis M. Alvarez, AP

O'Neal, who won the award in 2000 with the Los Angeles Lakers, is trying to become only the third player to win it with two different teams. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar won as a Milwaukee Buck and as a Los Angeles Laker, and Moses Malone won as a Houston Rocket and a Philadelphia 76er.

"I'm of the school of thought that Shaq should be MVP every year," Chicago Bulls coach Scott Skiles says.

If Nash wins, he will join Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson as the only point guards to do so. (Philadelphia's Allen Iverson played shooting guard when he won it in 2001.)

Nash's average of 11.5 assists a game is the highest in the NBA since John Stockton of the Utah Jazz averaged 12.3 during the 1994-95 season. Nash averages only 16.3 points a game, which would be the third-lowest scoring average of any MVP (Wes Unseld of Baltimore averaged 13.8 in 1968-69 and Bill Russell of Boston averaged 14.1 in 1964-65).

"For someone coming from where I come from, just to be mentioned for (the MVP) is an honor," Nash says.

USA TODAY's David DuPree lists contenders and his choice in five award categories — MVP, rookie of the year, coach of the year, sixth man of the year and most improved player:

MVP

Contenders—Steve Nash, Phoenix: Has more weapons at his disposal than any other player, and he knows how and when to use each of them. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia: Jerry West, Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan are the only other players to average 30 points and seven assists in the same season. Iverson (30.2 points, 7.7 assists) is on his way to doing it plus winning the scoring title.

The winner - Shaquille O'Neal, Miami: No player has more effect on every aspect of the game. He also keeps teammates loose and doesn't mind sharing the spotlight. He is playing a career-low 34.4 minutes a game, but the Heat have the best record in the East.

Rookie of the year

Contenders—Ben Gordon, Chicago: The Bulls tell him to win the game in the fourth quarter. He has had 10 or more points in the final stanza a league-high 22 times. Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia: A defensive whiz and an exciting offensive talent who is flying high but still is under the radar.

The winner - Emeka Okafor, Charlotte: He comes to work, does his job with no flash and no flair, just a willingness to get it done the old-fashioned way. He has 40 double-doubles and averages 15.3 points and 10.8 rebounds.

Coach of the year

Contenders—Nate McMillan, Seattle: There were no significant additions to the team, but he gets the most out of every player. George Karl, Denver: To come in when he did and turn the team around (the Nuggets are 24-6 since he was hired) as quickly as he did is a phenomenal achievement.

The winner - Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix: He put players in new positions and played a style no one else had the guts to try. The Suns average a league-best 110.3 points a game.

Best sixth man

Contenders - Ricky Davis, Boston: His wildness comes in handy in this role as does his 15.9 points off the bench.

Tyson Chandler, Chicago: Rebounding and defense still win games and he excels at both, averaging 9.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks.

The winner - Ben Gordon, Chicago: The Vinnie Johnson clone is like having an ace in the hole every hand.

Most improved player

Contenders - Tayshaun Prince, Detroit: If he was any smoother he'd be liquid; a great defender and clever scorer. Gilbert Arenas, Washington: Give him the ball, get out of the way. He has scored 40 points or more four times and 30 or more 22 times.

The winner - Bobby Simmons, L.A. Clippers: Takes smart shots, plays good defense and has made himself a valuable commodity. He averages career highs in points (16.6), rebounds (6.0) and assists (2.8).

...hmmnn. I agree w/ the ROY. But, if LeBron is not MVP he must be a strong consideration for Most Improved Player.

Manu20
04-05-2005, 10:34 PM
I think Nash should win the MVP.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I think Tim should definitely be considered a contender for the award.

Shaq is probably more deserving of the award this year than any in recent memory. He came to the Heat in great shape and has been a real leader, taking them to the next level.

Nash. . .probably will win. White boy, and everybody loves the white boys!!

milkyway21
04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
when the Suns lost some games bec. Nash was injured they made a lot of fuss talking about it.
TD's injury caused a lot of commotion around the league some even predicted a no win for title situation for the Spurs. now he got no consideration for MVP?

this is completely a puzzle to me.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I think it's between Shaq and Nash. Tim is great, but this hasn't been his best season.

adidas11
04-05-2005, 10:43 PM
It'll be close, that's for sure.

milkyway21
04-05-2005, 10:48 PM
what should be the primary criteria for a player to win this award?

Stats?
effeciency rating?
value to his team?
his team's standings?

Rick Von Braun
04-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Agree... the 3 top in my list are:

1) Nash
2) Shaq
3) Tim

In that order. You can argue that Nash does not bring as much defensive intensity as the other two, but the Sun's record without Nash speaks for itself. To me, all three are worthy candidates.

adidas11
04-05-2005, 10:51 PM
A mixture of all of the above, milkyway.

Team standings are very important. The last time a player won the MVP award, and his team didn't win the division was back in 1988. Michael Jordan won his first MVP, and the main reason he won it that year was because he won the scoring title, AND the Defensive Player of the Year.

You have to be statistically dominating, preferably in the Top 10 in multiple categories.

Value to the team speaks for itself.

Effeciency rating? See stats above.

theballaplaya
04-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Oh hell yeah, Shaq be all up in dis beyitch.

ducks
04-05-2005, 11:03 PM
WHY DOES THE STATE OF ARIZONA GET NO NATIONAL RECONIZATION?

Frye will get lucky to be drafted in the first round because he went to arizona instead of kentucky :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

now if they give the mvp award to shaq it is ONLY BECAUSE STern is trying to get some respect back to the WEAK ASS EAST!

the media is also back east so they vote east
STUPID BIAS MEDIA IDIOTS :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2005, 11:07 PM
East coast bias when it comes to college hoops Ducks. I've seen it all my life brother.

ducks
04-05-2005, 11:14 PM
yes they are I should take a few of my toys out and fix a few things :lol :lol :devil

Rummpd
04-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Shaq is arguebly not even the most valuable player on the Heat. Who wins their games? Wade. Who threw 39 in again tonight with an ailing Shaq = Wade.

Shaq gets the MVP it is total BS period. Behind Duncan in blocks and rebounds per game and is not half the defender.

milkyway21
04-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Frye will get lucky to be drafted in the first round because he went to arizona instead of kentucky :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

now if they give the mvp award to shaq it is ONLY BECAUSE STern is trying to get some respect back to the WEAK ASS EAST!

the media is also back east so they vote east
STUPID BIAS MEDIA IDIOTS :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

he!:D he! :D he! :D he! :D

ducks
04-05-2005, 11:36 PM
lol :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

milkyway21
04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
i can only imagine how ShaQ would react if he wins the award.

he just said "I stopped playing for the MVP award after I got it in 2001"
...which is totally :vomit

you mean he didn't even try to compete Duncan? :lol
what a hypocrite! :blah

ducks
04-05-2005, 11:39 PM
IF they give the award to shaq who should foul out of the game in 5 minutes then they have lost how you are suppose to play basket. You might as well say the nba wants to play football not basketball :fro

SuBZer0
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Are they serious??? The Suns' record in the West is infinitely better than the Heat's record in the East. Yes, Shaq impacts the game more on the defensive end than Nash. However, come on, look how Nash controls the ball, his team, and the game when he plays. Overall, he has waaay more of a case to be MVP. Also, the Heat were on the rise last year. They would have fared just fine without Shaq, especially because they were in the Easy East. You could argue that the Suns had tremendous talent and would also have had a great year. However, that's not true. They needed someone to guide them, and maximize their potential. That person is Nash. Therefore, the author's judgement here amounts to empty and wild thrashing of the air amid vain pronouncements of victory.

Okafor will be the ROY. Yes, Gordon has had an excellent year. Still, I don't think that the record of the team is as much of a factor for the Rookie award. Chicago, even without Gordon, was a extremely tanented team, and they would have done just fine. And remember, Okafor was "Mr Double Double" lol. I have said it before, Andre Iguodala will be a stud in the near future. A real steal for Philly. Playing with the other AI is holding him back a bit, but he will develop.

milkyway21
04-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Okafor will be the ROY. Yes, Gordon has had an excellent year. Still, I don't think that the record of the team is as much of a factor for the Rookie award. Chicago, even without Gordon, was a extremely tanented team, and they would have done just fine. And remember, Okafor was "Mr Double Double" lol. ..
one factor Yao Ming lost to Stoudemire for the 2002 ROY bec. Houston didn't make the playoffs... :rolleyes

SuBZer0
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
You must take into account that the Bobcats are an expansion team..

NZHayden
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
i reackon nash should get it just by comparing the suns record last year to this years they sucked balls last year, whereas they done pretty damn well this year. but the suns wont win the championship. manu will win finals MVP though, hell yeah

Jimcs50
04-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Miami has won most of their games when Shaq was out.

Phoenix has lost every game but one w/o Nash.

Nuff said.

spurster
04-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I'd say Shaq, too. The Suns are doing it with three all-stars, while the Heat have two. Also, Shaq has been overlooked in previous years because he's missed quite a few games due to injuries, but he certainly has been among the top three or so in the league every year. Nash might be a one-year wonder.

Rummpd
04-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Spurster why not Duncan or Dirk? These two do more for their team directly tied to success especially in 4th quarters, last night again proved Miami tough team without Shaq.

IMO no way he deserves MVP, I would not even have him in top 3.

Jimcs50
04-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Here is my top 5:

1. Nash
2. Dirk
3. Shaq
4. TD
5. Ray Allen

spurster
04-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Sometimes MVP is not simply the best this year, but over a period of years. Whatever you might think about Shaq, he has had a huge impact for the teams he's played for and on the teams he plays against.

I don't agree that MVP equals most valuable for a particular team; it's most valuable in the league.

As to who wins without their stars, that measures team depth and team play in addition to the star's contribution.

Why not TD? Bad timing on his injury, I guess. This is the time of year you want your MVP to stand out.

Why not Dirk? He's had a great year, but he needs to show consistent defensive intensity.

Why not Nash? Well, there's defense again, and really, do you fear a team that happens to have Nash, or a team that happens to have Shaq?

Spurminator
04-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I think MVP is about the player who has been most outstanding in making his team successful in 2005. Not necessarily the most talented or the one with the best career. Steve Nash, regardless of his defensive deficiencies, has made the Suns an elite team. The difference is apparent when he's not out there. He makes it so easy for his teammates to score.

Dirk has carried the Mavs through injuries and coaching changes, and his defense has been adequate now that he's playing his true PF position and not Center or SF or Shortstop, or whatever other position Don Nelson has conjured up for him in the past. He definitely belongs in the discussion.

Shaq, similar to Nash, has made the game easier for his teammates. Wade has become a top-tier NBA player, thanks in no small part to having Shaq as a teammate. Damon Jones and Udonis Haslem have careers thanks to him.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Shaq in a tight race with Nash.

Guru of Nothing
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM

It's time for Arizonans to organize and shut off the nation's lettuce supply.

That'll get our attention.