PDA

View Full Version : Gortat 'disappointed' about return to Orlando

Chris
07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/13/magic.gortat.ap/index.html

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Getting paid $34 million to back up Dwight Howard on the Orlando Magic for the next five years might sound like a good gig.

It's just that Marcin Gortat was looking forward to having the chance to start for the Dallas Mavericks.

The Magic surprised -- and disappointed -- Gortat and the Mavericks on Monday, matching an offer sheet to keep the Polish big man.

Gortat's agent, Guy Zucker, said the center "was definitely very disappointed today." He said Gortat was back in his native Poland, where he'd already been telling everyone he was headed to the Mavericks.

Gortat was hoping to play alongside Jason Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki and, most of all, compete with Erick Dampier for the starting job. Dampier is going into the final year of his contract.

In Orlando, Gortat will likely see spotty playing time behind Howard.

"It was definitely about the opportunity to find out how good he can really be," Zucker said. "We had requested that Orlando not match the offer. We stated the fact that he sincerely wanted the chance to carve his own path, be his own man, so to speak, which is not going to be realistically possible in Orlando."

Gortat averaged 3.8 points and 4.5 rebounds in about 12 minutes per game last season. Gortat's return solidifies the Magic frontcourt for next season, with the team signing former Mavericks power forward Brandon Bass last week.

"Having quality big men is an absolute must in our league, and Marcin has worked very hard to fit into that category," Magic general manager Otis Smith said in a statement. "He provides tremendous depth to our frontcourt and we're happy to bring him back."

Fresh off their second trip to the NBA finals, the Magic have showed this offseason they are willing to spend. Gortat's re-signing coupled with the acquisition for Vince Carter from New Jersey will force Orlando to dip into the luxury tax for the first time in franchise history.

The move is also another sign that Orlando believes its time to win is now.

Gortat, the 6-foot-11, 240-pound center, made about $700,000 last season, his first full year in the NBA. But Gortat earned the big pay raise in large part because of a few stellar playoff moments.

Gortat filled in for Howard in the Game 6 clincher against Philadelphia in the opening round after Orlando's All-Star was suspended, adding a few powerful dunks that earned him the nickname the "Polish Hammer" from teammates. He also had a pair of blocks on Cleveland's LeBron James in the conference finals, and he saw his minutes increase in the finals because of the size of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The chance to compete for a title with the Magic offers little consolation.

"But on the other hand, the Mavericks are in a position to challenge for the finals as well," Zucker said. "We thought Dallas represented a perfect situation for him."

Culburn369
07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
That's his mouthpiece talking. What does Gortat say?

rjv
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
maybe the agent should just shut up and move on now. his player needs to understand the business and buy into the fact that he has a role to fit into.

Shank
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Gortat is saying the same thing. The agent is getting paid the same either way, so there aren't any issues with money. The guy was dead-set on playing in Dallas and had made that known.

Now, there's word the Magic are looking to bring in Adonal Foyle on a 1-yr deal. Where would he fit in among a number of guys wanting minutes at the 4-5 spot?

sribb43
07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Gortat is saying the same thing. The agent is getting paid the same either way, so there aren't any issues with money. The guy was dead-set on playing in Dallas and had made that known.

Now, there's word the Magic are looking to bring in Adonal Foyle on a 1-yr deal. Where would he fit in among a number of guys wanting minutes at the 4-5 spot?

Magic would play JJ Reddick at center before Foyle saw the floor

Shank
07-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Magic would play JJ Reddick at center before Foyle saw the floor

Oh, come on now. Don't question Otis.

stretch
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
otis

hater
07-14-2009, 10:29 AM
what's this pussy crying about? DO your job, maybe get a ring.

It's not like he was gonna get a ring with the Mavs :rolleyes

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
So he HAS to take the offer by Orlando because he's restricted, right?

I'm still a little unclear on contract laws. Would love a nice refresher.

resistanze
07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah, unlike being an unrestricted free agent, your current team has the "Right of First Refusal." This basically means that the Magic can match any offer sheet by another team and retain Gortat within 15 days. This info is known when signing the initial contract, so not sure why Gortat is mad.

I completely understand why the Mavs would be pissed, though.

hater
07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

He doesn't have to but if he wants to play in the NBA yes. Because Orlando owns his rights.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
He was clearly thinking long term, with hopes of shining in a starting role and making real overpaid big man money when it was up. For as funny as it is to see some egg on Mavs management's face this seems like a recipe for apathy in Orlando. He did well in Orlando because he could be counted on to come off the bench with a ton of energy. Now he's got his paycheck and is staring at a role he was ready to move on from. Why bust your ass when it's not going to earn you any more minutes or money for a while?

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, unlike being an unrestricted free agent, your current team has the "Right of First Refusal." This basically means that the Magic can match any offer sheet by another team and retain Gortat within 15 days. This info is known when signing the initial contract, so not sure why Gortat is mad.

I completely understand why the Mavs would be pissed, though.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Some of the contract laws in the NBA are a lot more complicated, but I was hoping I had at least a grasp on this.

rasho8
07-14-2009, 11:03 AM
With the way gortat played and orlandos 3 poinjt shoooting could they not start a sort of "Twin Towers" of their own with Bass spelling whoever is in foul trouble or needs rest?

It seems while Howrd is a 5 he is capable of playing a Timmy style 4... i just dont know orlandos roster well enough.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd rather start and contribute for a team that might not win it all than sit on the bench for a championship team. That becomes doubly so if the money's exactly the same both places. That said, I'm not sure Orlando's got all that much more of a shot than Dallas does at winning a title.

jack sommerset
07-14-2009, 11:12 AM
As soon as they can trade him they will. People should never bitch only about players again. Teams fuck you over big time if they can.

mavsfan1000
07-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Sucks that Otis had to fuck things up for Gortat. But it's not that bad. You still get to play for a contender and you are still getting payed a ton. Not the ideal sitation but I wouldn't feel sorry for him.

KSeal
07-14-2009, 11:19 AM
You're making 34 million dollars to come off the bench, be happy Gortat.

Muser
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
you're making 34 million dollars to come off the bench, be happy gortat.

+1

z0sa
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Doesn't he get the first year in one lump sum by whoever matches, due to league rules?

Gortat's bank account just increased exponentially for the exact same role.

Shank
07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
You're making 34 million dollars to come off the bench, be happy Gortat.

But not all players are the same. Gortat doesn't come off as a guy that is happy sitting around and making money. The guy geniunely wants to play. And in this situation, he would be making the same amount to do just that.

pad300
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Let see teams carry 6 bigs... Howard (starter), Lewis (starter), Bass, Gortat, Anderson (from the Vince deal), and Foyle as 6th big at the vet min. Works for the Magic, and probably for Foyle as well...

07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
didn't the magic say they wanted to use gortat as a trade chip? they'll trade him soon enough.

Shank
07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Let see teams carry 6 bigs... Howard (starter), Lewis (starter), Bass, Gortat, Anderson (from the Vince deal), and Foyle as 6th big at the vet min. Works for the Magic, and probably for Foyle as well...

That's fine and all, but some of those guys were promised more minutes in signing with Orlando (Bass and Gortat are those that should be getting more playing time). You're going to have a glut of unhappy guys that were enticed to come to Orlando to play, only to have the GM stockpile others at your same position.

If you're in a job that's going to pay you the same amount to either a.) do what you love or b.) take that money, but sit and watch others work around you - which would you prefer?

Sportstudi
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
didn't the magic say they wanted to use gortat as a trade chip? they'll trade him soon enough.

They can't trade him for 90 days and afterwards they can only trade him if he approves the trade. Honestly, I really hope he fucks Smith up. "I will not approve any deal. You WILL therefore get stuck with the luxury tax this year because you matched. Have a nice day."

jacobdrj
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't blame him. Same money, but less opportunity to make a name for himself. I wish Gundy could find a way to use them together effectively.

iggypop123
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
at least gortat still gets paid but his career will go nowhere

picc84
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
He'll get his chance to play more. Magic just want to be able to get some value for him through trade. However I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is.

Spursmania
07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
It's a business. Gortat needs to shut the fuck up and play ball. Quit whining. He has a chance for a ring and is gonna make more money than he ever thought possible. So suck it up and go play for a contender. Geez!:baby

As if he's getting relegated to the Bucks.:rolleyes

45 bank shot
07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
so what? This guy might very likely be heading to Houston in Dec.

Shank
07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
so what? This guy might very likely be heading to Houston in Dec.

That's the sexy rumor, but what are the Rockets going to give up for a guy they didn't even want to offer the MLE in their first negotiations? Gortat has already said he didn't want to go to Houston and had the right to refuse for the 1st year of the new deal.