PDA

View Full Version : Awkward silences

Imposter
07-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I hate them. They are so uncomfortable. What do you do or talk about during these pauses? I've tried the small talk or turning up the radio when I'm in the car but am running out of things to do to avoid them.

jack sommerset
07-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I fart.

iilluzioN
07-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Find something non-threatening to comment upon. If you are having a meal together, say something about the food, for example. The weather is another good topic, the news, even better. If you're inexperienced in small talk, begin with something simple, such as "Did you see the Cubs game last night?" Do not try to attempt a complex sentiment, such as "What do you think should be done about Darfur?" until you are more experienced.
Say something along the lines of the above as soon as possible.
Listen carefully to what your acquaintance says back to you.
Reflect carefully and offer another comment.
Try avoiding yes or no answers and asking questions with yes or no answers.
When answering a question, try doing it by asking another one in the same sentence.
Try to find an object to transfer the awkwardness to and make a funny or intriguing comment about it (even if it is a lie), for instance, "I heard these floorboards were originally part of (name a famous structure that has been destroyed). The owner of this building is quite eccentric, you know." [This only works if the owner of the building is dead or not present, but you get the idea.]
If you don't mind the person too much, find an activity that absolutely MUST be done RIGHT NOW, and with help. Check the crepes. If you're at a party, perhaps you can employ yourselves as coat checkers, and wind up married. Imagine the story! Of course, anything involving making cocktails is handy.
You can try the never ending joke: "Awkward Turtle!" If someone knows what it means (basically, just awkward moment), they'll laugh, and if not, you have something to talk about!
TIPS

Of course all of the above is just a place holder.......you are trying to get a few words going just to see if you can learn a little bit about the other person.
Once the person lets something slip, you may be onto a real conversation. If you mentioned the pouring rain, and your new companion expressed worry about his dog getting sick in the cold wet weather, you have hit pay dirt. Now you can spend the rest of the evening talking about dogs.....and whatever topics that whole thing may lead to.
If you like dogs too, you may hit it off with this new friend. If not, try to find another topic buried in the words of the other person.
Any time you just don't know what the person is talking about, just repeat his words slowly........"oh, your dog has coccidiosis........."
Hopefully the person will now explain that Coccidia are single celled organisms that infect intestines. If not, just make a general comment showing that you need to be filled in. "Coccidiosis......I am not sure I have heard of that before."
If you feel like there is a bit of awkwardness in the air, smile like you don't notice.
Be super friendly and laugh a lot. (But don't overdo it...)
Ask about the family, just remember to not let the subject slip into something more awkward (disease, old relationships, etc.)
Don't get up and leave
Don't be afraid of human contact, shaking hands might be germ-filled, but it won't kill you.
When talking with someone you know, mention the awkward moment. Make a joke about it. (ex: "I think a tumbleweed blew by just now...")

Find something to do with your hands, but be careful not to rely on it.
If someone is a complete psychopath, or boring to the point of inducing mental illness, or (especially) is a cocky jerk, there is nothing wrong with the old, "Um, I have to go over here now."
Sometimes it is a good idea to give said person a generous hug. It can break the ice.

Richard Cranium
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
I just say, "This silence is awkward isn't it?"

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
have a wank mate, have a wank...nothin beats the full arm workout which works on ur grip, ur elbow joints...look man stop creatin stupid threads

BacktoBasics
07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
This is one of the reasons I distance myself from people. Seems like the majority of the general public is incapable of having a normal conversation.

z0sa
07-14-2009, 11:38 AM
awkward silences only occur when you feel awkward inside. Never let yourself feel out of place (including reducing or eradicating the risk of entering such situations) and it seriously won't happen. Other people might 'feel' it, but you won't and that makes you a more attractive and likable person.

Whenever you do enter such a situation, communication is key. Think why the situation is awkward (usually a lack of information about the other people around) and remedy it best as you can. I usually go for weather or movies/tv over news or sports as these two subjects can cause volatility.

FortuneCookie
07-14-2009, 11:38 AM
"Silence is a woman's best garment."

Lucky Numbers: 7, 11, 22, 33, 43, 57 29

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 11:54 AM
RenaldoBalkman thread.

Trainwreck2100
07-14-2009, 11:58 AM

arial
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
"I sure would love to fuck that Dakota Fanning" - Jim Norton

Summers
07-14-2009, 12:41 PM
They don't have to be awkward. Quiet is nice. Maybe your partner would like you to stop talking once in a while.

David Bowie
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I find that when you spend a lot of time with someone, the silences aren't so awkward. When you spend a lot of time with someone, you are bound to have some silence. Silence is uncomfortable only when you are uncomfortable with the person you are with .

JoeChalupa
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I find that when you spend a lot of time with someone, the silences aren't so awkward. When you spend a lot of time with someone, you are bound to have some silence. Silence is uncomfortable only when you are uncomfortable with the person you are with .

I concur.

WildcardManu
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of being with your boss in a meeting, old friend, etc...

WildcardManu
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of being with your boss in a meeting, old friend, etc...you run out of conversation.

WildcardManu
07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
oops double post

eyeh8u
07-15-2009, 12:02 AM
i just say something racist about the race the other person is.

balli
07-15-2009, 12:31 AM
I once had a girlfriend who was stone stupid and had nothing to say. It wasn't awkward, but I found myself pontificating a lot in a rather esoteric manner; just to make the time bearable. It worked for a few weeks. I'd suggest you try talking with a lot of candor. Non-sequiturs are helpful too. Over-use could result in people thinking you're a dumbass, overly-opinionated, douche.

Cry Havoc
07-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Well well well, I am quite popular around these streets!

Yes, your reputation for bungling opportunities with the ladies precedes you.

L.I.T
07-15-2009, 02:40 AM
*crickets*

Dex
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
.....so how about them beets? mm, mm, beets.

J.T.
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Anytime you're in a movie theater before the trailers start playing and everyone's chatting it up, then suddenly it gets all quiet, I usually belt out with "So there I was, and then her mom walked in!" to much success.

Richard Cranium
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
:lol